PDA

View Full Version : 460 Ford

likwidsukr
09-05-2006, 05:33 PM
I am having trouble remembering something. I have D3 heads. They have been milled and have the studs in. Now what roller rockers do I need pedestal. I am having a serious brain fart on this. Ever thought too much and messed it all up? I have a headache.
Also I am in Tampa Florida. Anyone know anybody here that can do port work on these D3 heads?

roostwear
09-05-2006, 06:10 PM
You need the early style rocker... c8, c9, D0VE.

LakesOnly
09-05-2006, 08:10 PM
I have D3 heads. They have been milled and have the studs in. Now what roller rockers do I need pedestal.
Also I am in Tampa Florida. Anyone know anybody here that can do port work on these D3 heads?
If you mean to say that your pedestal rocker D3VE valve train has been modified to accept roller rockers, then you need a 7/16" adustable stud for the roller rockers. The 7/16" stud for the 1968-1970 heads are positive stop studs and are for a non-adjustable valve train...they will not work with roller rockers.
Since we don't know how far down your D3VE pedestals have been milled, we cannot suggest a stud length. This will have to be a trial and error effort on your part. Also, each brand roller rocker may dictate a different length rocker stud. Finally, you will need hardened pushrods and pushrod guideplates.
The stardard 1.75" BBC type ARP stud works with only a couple of aftermarket rockers out there, and I recommend going with the 1.900" stud in most cases (assuming no stud girdle). But again, if your pedestals were milled down minimally then the 1.75's may work (as the stud is mounted higher in the head, in effect) Conversely, if your pedestals were milled down a lot then you may need longer than 1.900" studs (as the stud is mounted lower in the head, in effect). Can't make specific recommendaions without knowing the details.
I don't know any east coast porters that do cast iron; I may offer a budget port job for you and (upon seeing the heads) set you up with the correct length studs, guideplates, rockers, etc. You can try pictures, but....
LO