PDA

View Full Version : Help! The prop nut galled.

Cole Man II
09-10-2003, 06:03 PM
I was removing the prop and the nut galled. Anyone have any clever ideas.
Cole Man.

smalls
09-10-2003, 06:11 PM
Cole Man II:
I was removing the prop and the nut galled. Anyone have any clever ideas.
Cole Man. Cole Man, Cut it off don't turn it any more. Then use a non stainless nut and antisieze going back together.

Cole Man II
09-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Smalls,
What do you suggest I cut it with? No Iam not being sarcastic. Have you done this before?
Cole Man.

smalls
09-10-2003, 06:15 PM
Cole Man II:
Smalls,
What do you suggest I cut it with? No Iam not being sarcastic. Have you done this before?
Cole Man. Check your PMs Call me on my cell,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

MandDPerformance
09-10-2003, 06:15 PM
A Grinder works well.

Cole Man II
09-10-2003, 06:27 PM
Smalls,
Iam not getting my PM's, I think its because Iam still logged on at work.
Just call me at home (925) 473-0849
Cole Man.

Jimmy Jam Jam Jim
09-10-2003, 06:33 PM
Dang, sell the boat.

Cole Man II
09-10-2003, 06:39 PM
Jimmy Jam,
It would be hard to sell with my foot stuck in the side of it.
Cole Man.

dossangers
09-10-2003, 06:40 PM
didnt use no sieze one time threw away prop and shaft!!!!

GofastRacer
09-10-2003, 08:09 PM
Never use a stainless nut period!. Don't try to force it off it will ruin the threads on the shaft, get a nut splitter that's the only way to get it off right!..I learned that the hard way!!.. :mad:

Jetboatguru
09-10-2003, 09:18 PM
GofastRacer:
shaft, get a nut splitter that's the only way to get it off right! You said "Shaft", "Nut Splitter" and "get it off" all in one sentence. That is NICE!!!!!!!!!!! :D
My wife's foot works real good as a nut splitter

GofastRacer
09-11-2003, 05:20 AM
That's funny!.. :D :D :D :D

burbanite
09-11-2003, 06:38 AM
GofastRacer:
get a nut splitter that's the only way to get it off right!..way!! This is the ideal way.
If you have a death wheel you could run it into the nut parallel to the shaft (but not all the way through) then use a chisel and split the nut.
No death wheel? Drill a few holes in a line down one of the flats of the nut (once again, not all the way through) and then get out the chisel.
With either of these methods you should have something solid to use as a back block on the nut when you hit it, this keeps the bending load on the shaft to a minimum.
Watch those threads and be very careful not to score the shaft, you don't need a stress riser there!!!

Cole Man II
09-11-2003, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the help you guys.

GofastRacer
09-11-2003, 07:34 AM
burbanite:
GofastRacer:
get a nut splitter that's the only way to get it off right!..way!! This is the ideal way.
If you have a death wheel you could run it into the nut parallel to the shaft (but not all the way through) then use a chisel and split the nut.
No death wheel? Drill a few holes in a line down one of the flats of the nut (once again, not all the way through) and then get out the chisel.
With either of these methods you should have something solid to use as a back block on the nut when you hit it, this keeps the bending load on the shaft to a minimum.
Watch those threads and be very careful not to score the shaft, you don't need a stress riser there!!! Yep that works, I've done it that way before. I like the splitter because there's no chance of hitting the threads with the chisel!.. :)