PDA

View Full Version : Lake Lice vs Boat.....

Second "PLACE"
09-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Damn, I hate to hear about this stuff, but what parent allows an 11 year old to ride a stand up? :mad:
http://www.dailybulletin.com/ci_4289161

my21advantage
09-05-2006, 09:20 PM
That so sad....
my prayers for the boy and his family

squirt'nmyload
09-05-2006, 09:28 PM
sad but wtf were the parents thinking????????

HYPNAUTIC
09-05-2006, 09:31 PM
at that time of the day everyone heading up river needs to be extra carefull, the sun creates blinding sun spots on the water.
So sad.. Hope for the best.

Charley
09-05-2006, 09:37 PM
I agree, I still am dumfounded on how many ignorant people (at any age) think that because they can push the throttle lever that it makes them a jetski pro. I wish parents would require their kids (teens included) to learn some safety measure before taking off on a jetski. Looking before turning, running parallel to the shore, single file when narrow are just a few basics. Any parent who allows an 11 year old on a jetski alone on a holiday in Needles should be arrested for child endangerment....then again so should the 40 year old idiot pulling his two kids on a tube behind his ski that did a wide sweeping 360 right in front of me on sunday too...bastard made me come off plane! :D
In all seriousness I hope the outcome for this child is a good one.

RitcheyRch
09-06-2006, 04:32 AM
Sad to read these sorts of things. The outcome could have been worse.

YODA
09-06-2006, 05:28 AM
The parents should be flogged for allowing that!!!! :yuk:

Kachina26
09-06-2006, 06:18 AM
11 in a cove not a problem, especially if the kid is riding regularly with supervision. Turning your 11 yo loose on a holiday weekend on a busy river is just flat out neglectful!!!! I hope the parents are held liable not only for the damages to the boat, but for their stupid decision that led to this incident! I hope they know how lucky they are to still have their kid.

Tequila-John
09-06-2006, 06:23 AM
Crazy

Hustler
09-06-2006, 06:58 AM
I agree, I still am dumfounded on how many ignorant people (at any age) think that because they can push the throttle lever that it makes them a jetski pro. I wish parents would require their kids (teens included) to learn some safety measure before taking off on a jetski. Looking before turning, running parallel to the shore, single file when narrow are just a few basics. Any parent who allows an 11 year old on a jetski alone on a holiday in Needles should be arrested for child endangerment....then again so should the 40 year old idiot pulling his two kids on a tube behind his ski that did a wide sweeping 360 right in front of me on sunday too...bastard made me come off plane! :D
In all seriousness I hope the outcome for this child is a good one.
I agree with you 100% on this issue but you also have to remember to SLOW DOWN. I think it's our responsibility to so. I see way to many guys running 60,70+ mph between a downed skier and someone pulling a tuber it amazes me that no one has been completely ran over yet. As much as I hate to admit it they have just as much right as we do and if things like this keep happening were all screwed. :mad:

catman-do
09-06-2006, 06:58 AM
I think parents just need to educate the kids about general safety measures of boating. I used to ride standups when I was 8 and had to sit in the tray.... but i also knew to look before i turned, and most of the time we would be in private coves.

OCMerrill
09-06-2006, 07:17 AM
Excellent comments made here.
I also don't get why ANY parent would allow their kid to venture out like this.
To me it just seems their parents just dont care about their own kid let alone anyone else. Its not just their kid that runs the risk as it affects others. Someone could get killed just trying to avoid a collision.
We take pride in our kids. We also care deply about their safety. I care what they grow up to be. One has to think other parents just do not. :crossx:

jayd_jr
09-06-2006, 07:25 AM
Damn, I hate to hear about this stuff, but what parent allows an 11 year old to ride a stand up? :mad:
http://www.dailybulletin.com/ci_4289161
This happend right across from us while realaxing on the porch of mike(the lurkers house) We saw the ski floating and heard the scream from his mom. Luckily my boat was till in the water and by the time we got out to him he was being drug in by someone on a sea doo.
Mike and I retrieved the yamaha stand up and it was destroyed. No nose basically broken in two peices and we were just hoping the person was ok. When we arrived back at the beach the paramedics were there and treating him, as life flight was coming in.
I hope the boy recovers and my prayers go to his family and also the driver of the boat.... He was a nervous wreck after the accident.
Jay

Pussywhippled
09-06-2006, 07:25 AM
We were leaving Needles about 4:30pm on Monday, after OUR day in the emergency room, and I saw a 21 Hallett with the standard Hallett grapics in bright orange putting slow down the river towards that area.
I'm now wondering if that was the boat involved...

jayd_jr
09-06-2006, 07:28 AM
I agree with you 100% on this issue but you also have to remember to SLOW DOWN. I think it's our responsibility to so. I see way to many guys running 60,70+ mph between a downed skier and someone pulling a tuber it amazes me that no one has been completely ran over yet. As much as I hate to admit it they have just as much right as we do and if things like this keep happening were all screwed. :mad:
I agree its all of our responsibility. Mike was in the water retrieving the ski with at least three boats around us and we all had flags up waving them and and some guy flew by in an Eliminator about 60 miles an hour.. I could not beleive he didnt slow down. I could not believe it...... :mad:

jayd_jr
09-06-2006, 07:32 AM
We were leaving Needles about 4:30pm on Monday, after OUR day in the emergency room, and I saw a 21 Hallett with the standard Hallett grapics in bright orange putting slow down the river towards that area.
I'm now wondering if that was the boat involved...
Yes that was the boat.....The sherriff had to take the boat to the marina. Dont know if the man was cited for bui or just to wigged out to drive the boat..

Pussywhippled
09-06-2006, 07:38 AM
Yes that was the boat.....The sherriff had to take the boat to the marina. Dont know if the man was cited for bui or just to wigged out to drive the boat..
That sucks... It's a really clean looking boat.
I saw your boat over the weekend a couple of times putzing by our place as well.
We saw another boat collision, looked liek a brand new blue and yellow wakeboard boat, and a 19ft orange mid 80's Eliminator Daytona jet (that I always see blasting up and down the river). The Wakeboard boat stopped suddenly, the Daytona should have missed him, but turned into the wakeboard boat and clipped the side of it.
The impact was loud but couldn't tell the damage. They floated down the river yelling at each other and I lost sight of them.

jayd_jr
09-06-2006, 07:43 AM
[QUOTE=Pussywhippled]That sucks... It's a really clean looking boat.
I saw your boat over the weekend a couple of times putzing by our place as well.
Where is your place????? I was staying with a friend right across from the marina.
We didnt hear this collision just saw the aftermath and did what we could. The kid is lucky to be alive after seeing the ski.....

Hustler
09-06-2006, 07:44 AM
I agree its all of our responsibility. Mike was in the water retrieving the ski with at least three boats around us and we all had flags up waving them and and some guy flew by in an Eliminator about 60 miles an hour.. I could not beleive he didnt slow down. I could not believe it...... :mad:
Thats the exact thing I'm talking about :mad:

Kachina26
09-06-2006, 08:01 AM
He was a nervous wreck after the accident.
Jay
Who can blame him? If he had so much as one beer, this thing goes into the "alcohol related" category. That's why I won't have anything on the water, it only takes one idiot to ruin your weekend.

thumbs
09-06-2006, 08:45 AM
IF the kid on the ski was headed north and making a left into the marina and was hit by the boat passing on the port side of the ski then it's the boats fault.
People must understand the right of ways on the water.

Kachina26
09-06-2006, 09:02 AM
IF the kid on the ski was headed north and making a left into the marina and was hit by the boat passing on the port side of the ski then it's the boats fault.
People must understand the right of ways on the water.
So if someone who appears to be going straight turns in front of you at the last second, that's your fault? Not saying that's what happened, but that's kinda what I picture. I know that when I am about to turn into a marina/cove whatever, I go behind the oncoming traffic, not in front of it.

thumbs
09-06-2006, 09:20 AM
So if someone who appears to be going straight turns in front of you at the last second, that's your fault?
Correct.
When you are out on the water with other boats, you are either the Stand-On vessel (boat) or the Give-Way vessel. The Stand-On vessel is the one that, in a meeting situation with another boat, holds to its course and speed. The Give-Way vessel is the one that is required to take early and substantial action to keep out of the way of the Stand-On boat and avoid a collision.
The area from dead ahead to 112.5 degrees down your starboard side is your danger zone. Any vessel approaching you in that zone is the Stand-On boat, thus making you the Give-Way boat. Also, if you are overtaking another boat, you are automatically the Give-Way vessel.

RiverDave
09-06-2006, 09:55 AM
I don't know the exact wording of the rules of the waterway like thumbs..
But in laymens terms, if your coming up behind another vessel (jetskier or whatever) and they turn, you are the one that has to yield..
Makes it kind of a bitch for these blown cats etc.. Because they don't turn for shit, or stop for shit. Ultimately they will be at fault though if the jet skier turns in front of them (providing that they were coming up to overtake said jetskier), from what I understand.
Especially if they are passing on the right.
RD

TheLurker
09-06-2006, 10:31 AM
I just hope the kid will be OK.
Props to the people who had their flags up warning approaching boats. That was a class act. I would have liked to see the Eliminator slow down a little more or give us more room. And credit the Fire and paramedic crew with an outstanding response time. You know how time seems like it is standing still and everything takes forever in an emergency well I'd bet they were on scene and working on the kid in less than 5 minutes. Job well done there.

thumbs
09-06-2006, 10:31 AM
RD - you got it correct.
Here is a saftey tip - When I'm slowing down or stopping I always turn a bit so that other boats comming up behind me see that I'm slowing. If you hold a straight line when comming off plane it is often hard for the vessels behind you to see your reduction in speed.

Pussywhippled
09-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Was the fast passing Eliminator an Eagle or a Daytona? There was a white 28' eagle open bow with 1 blue and 1 red/berry swoosh graphic on the sides, going up and down the river fast all weekend.

Ike
09-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Thumbs is right and so is River Dave but only partly right. Yes the overtaking vessel is the Give-Way and the overtaken vessel is the Stand-on, but, Suddenly turning to port is not standing on. Standing on is defined as maintaining course and speed. Also rule 5 says
"Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision"
Which in laymens terms means to watch where you're going and know what's going on around you.
Also Rule six says
"Every vessel shall at all times proceed at a safe speed so that she can take proper and effective action to avoid collision and be stopped within a distance appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions."
And Rule 7 says:
"Every vessel shall use all available means appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions to determine if risk of collision exists. If there is any doubt, such risk shall be deemed to exist. " Which simply means if in doubt, BACK OFF!
Finally rule 8 which I won't quote here lists all the actions you must take to avoid a collision. And then there is what used to be called the General Prudential Rule, and that is simply stated, if the risk of a collison exists, you must take whatever action is necessary to avoid it.
In this case the kid should not have changed course and the person following him should have backed off. So in a way both were at fault, but a court would probably say that the kid was the person responsible for the accident.
It is a damned shame it happened though, and as has been said a lot on this thread,"what the hell were the parents thinking" letting an 11 year old take a stand up out into heavy traffic. If the kid was experienced and there wasn't a lot of boats around, ok. (geez I was out boating alone when I was 11, but they didn't have PWCs then) but not in heavy traffic. I imagine the water cops will have something to say to the parents about it though.

jayd_jr
09-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Was the fast passing Eliminator an Eagle or a Daytona? There was a white 28' eagle open bow with 1 blue and 1 red/berry swoosh graphic on the sides, going up and down the river fast all weekend.
It was an Daytona with canopies... with canapies and twins.... White and blue....... :mad:

Second "PLACE"
09-06-2006, 08:21 PM
As most of as are all too aware, the stretch of river between Needles Marina and the Park Moabi has become quite the speedzone for the boats that like to mash the throttle. In the years that I have spent dry camping along the California side, there has been a significant traffic increase there.
I think we ALL need to pay much more attention, especially in these areas (Moabi and Needles Marina) and expect the unexpected.
I'm sure most of you all have expirienced as I have, a sudden defensive move to avoid a PWC in this area. They're too busy doing 360's and jumping wakes, and most of the time have NO CLUE that they were almost hit by not looking where they were going. :mad: