PDA

View Full Version : How the hell do you use a grease gun?? (trailer hub)

OliverM5
09-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Do you just press the gun up against the fitting on the bearing buddy and push the grease in? I tried it and the grease just comes out of the gun and goes all over the place...where is it supposed to go into? How do you do this?

YeLLowBoaT
09-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Do you just press the gun up against the fitting on the bearing buddy and push the grease in? I tried it and the grease just comes out of the gun and goes all over the place...where is it supposed to go into? How do you do this?
do you have the right size tip for the grease gun? its possible that the zerks are cloged.

No Name
09-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Take it to Jiffy Lube. :D :D

ThongMagnet
09-05-2006, 09:49 PM
it may not have buddy bearing caps. Attach us a digital picture so we can be of more help...or take it to jiffy lube while there still in business...they'l grease ya.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Remember, on the bearing buddy outside zert: it doesn't grease the bearing, the grease just seals it. It could be full, ya don't want it full, it should be a bit "springy".
The bearings still have to be removed to be lubed.

OliverM5
09-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Does the "zerk" have a hole in it that the grease goes into? Am I supposed to push the grease gun fitting over it and push in grease?

Trailer Park Casanova
09-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Yea, it has a check ball in it, and the nozzle of the grease gun snaps on it.
Don't over fill it.

Jordy
09-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Damn, one more post like this and they just might take your man card away. :D

Tom Brown
09-06-2006, 07:41 AM
...it doesn't grease the bearing, the grease just seals it. It could be full, ya don't want it full, it should be a bit "springy".
I'm not disagreeing, in that I know and agree with what you're saying, but I've got BBs on a few trailers and they consume grease from the buddy. I have to pump it back up every year or two. That grease must be getting past the seal because I don't see where it has leaked out and the only other place for it to go is past the seal and into the bearing. The only leaks I've ever found were on the inside seal.

Beer-30
09-06-2006, 07:49 AM
I'm not disagreeing, in that I know and agree with what you're saying, but I've got BBs on a few trailers and they consume grease from the buddy. I have to pump it back up every year or two. That grease must be getting past the seal because I don't see where it has leaked out and the only other place for it to go is past the seal and into the bearing. The only leaks I've ever found were on the inside seal.
I agree. It obviously goes somewhere, as we would never have to grease them if they remained pressured. I see some that spit out the front o-ring from time to time. It's apparent where that grease goes - all over the wheel(s). Like you said, only other place is inner seal.

ThongMagnet
09-06-2006, 09:28 AM
I've used the buddy bearings to grease, and have never repacked wheel bearings on my trailer since I bought it in 1985.
I pull to havasu 2 times a year, and the local lakes all the time. Todays bearings (post 1980) are very good, and should last 3 or 4 million miles if you remember to shoot a quick shot of grease in the BB's from time to time. The problems occur when you leave a trailer parked in the water for hours at a time and not use buddy Bearings.

Jordy
09-06-2006, 09:33 AM
The one thing you want to watch out for is not over-greasing the wheels. A few pumps in the BB is typically good. If you pump it so full of grease that you've got no more room for the little plunger to go out, the hub can end up pressurizing and at a minimum push grease past the inner wheel seal, and in some cases push the seal itself out and then it's a big greasy mess and typically more problems with siezed up bearings. ;)

acatitude
09-06-2006, 10:22 AM
hey dont feel bad... i can never remember which friggin end goes in gun towards top and bottom.. i have to call pep boys every time i put in a new canister... i dont remember now.... just one of those things i guess

lucky
09-06-2006, 11:41 AM
while doing your bb - go up to your disk brakes and there is a fitting on the top of the caliper( with a plastic cover on it ) -- Usually quick lube greases these every time i get my car serviced --
I was wondering , just how often this needs to be greased :rolleyes:

Kachina26
09-06-2006, 11:49 AM
The bearings still have to be removed to be lubed.
Bearing Buddy is not gonna be happy to hear that.
http://www.bearingbuddy.com/graphics/4.jpg

deltarat
09-06-2006, 12:13 PM
hey dont feel bad... i can never remember which friggin end goes in gun towards top and bottom.. i have to call pep boys every time i put in a new canister... i dont remember now.... just one of those things i guess
Just look at the one you are removing and you will always put the new one in right. Besides you know that they put you on hold and get on the microphone......attenion all shoper we have a dumbass on line 1!

lewiville
09-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Right there with ya. I cant remember shit. I do know how to turn on my radio :boxed:

Wild Horses
09-06-2006, 01:24 PM
while doing your bb - go up to your disk brakes and there is a fitting on the top of the caliper( with a plastic cover on it ) -- Usually quick lube greases these every time i get my car serviced --
I was wondering , just how often this needs to be greased :rolleyes:
You better be careful with the gullibility factor on the boards. :crossx: :220v: :skull:

Trailer Park Casanova
09-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Bearing Buddy is not gonna be happy to hear that.
http://www.bearingbuddy.com/graphics/4.jpg
At the boat show booth, the bearing buddie rep at their booth told me bearing buddie is only to keep water from drawing into a quenching hot bearing when ya back into the water to launch.
Not to lube the bearing.
If the web site contradicts that,, then there ya have it.
I've removed the bearings after time like they said at the boat show to do, and the bearings needed re-packing.
The bearing buddie didnt lube them,, only sealed them when hot.
Ya see people from time to time on Rice rd with more than just a flat tire, their wheel bearing failed, the whole assemble is removed and the boat and trailer sit their on the shoulder in the heat, and then ya got real troubles.
I wouldn't trust it to lube, only to maybe keep out water like I was told by the rep.
Checking this diagram below, what the rep told me seems to be true.
With the 'O" ring, how does the rear bearing get lubed?? Or even the front bearing??
They are sealed out by the "O" ring.
It specifically tells you don't over lube you'll blow the seal.
Nah,, ya still gotta service the bearings.
Tony at Extreme trailers concurrs too: "ya gotta re pack the bearings by hand and not rely on Bearing Buddie beyond sealing out water."
I aint gonna be one of those guys on Rice rd.
I re-pack by hand.
http://www.bearingbuddy.com/graphics/Cutaway.gif
HOW BEARING BUDDY® WORKS:
The axle hub is filled with grease until the grease forces the Bearing Buddy® piston outward about 1/8 inch. Because the piston is spring loaded, the piston exerts a slight (3 psi) pressure against the grease, which maintains a slight pressure between the inside of the hub and the outside environment. When the hub is submerged, water cannot enter the hub because of this pressure.
An automatic pressure relief feature prevents over-filling and over pressurization. Without this feature, the inner seal will be damaged. Grease can be added to the hub through an easily accessible grease fitting located in the center of the piston. Lubricant level (and pressure) can be checked quickly by pressing on the edge of the moveable piston.
If you can rock or move the piston, the hub is properly filled. Bearing Buddy® will last the life of your trailer. The outer barrel is made of steel and is triple chrome plated. Internal Bearing Buddy® parts are made of stainless steel. Bearing Buddy® is also available with a stainless steel barrel for maximum corrosion protection.

Oldsquirt
09-06-2006, 04:27 PM
TPC, while it is definitely true that bearings should be serviced(cleaned, inspected and repacked) on a routine basis, any and all grease that is pumped into the Bearing Buddy goes into the same cavity that holds the bearings and their grease. As a trailer moves down the road, the grease will heat up and "flow", just as it does in a car or truck. At this time, any grease that is in the Bearing Buddy will, indeed, begin to pass through the outer bearing, into the center cavity, and eventually into the inner bearing. In fact, the spring that is part of the BB cap helps facilitate this movement of the grease. In that way, they do help lube the bearing. While maybe not a primary design feature, it is one of the effects of using a Bearing Buddy or similar device.
BTW, it's "zerk" fitting, not "zert". :)

Captain Dan
09-06-2006, 04:31 PM
BTW, it's "zerk" fitting, not "zert". :)
Also known as Zirc fitting if made from zirconium alloy...... :)

Mr. Crusader 83
09-06-2006, 04:33 PM
as the red neck comics would say " heres your sign "
or carlos mencia " dunndaadaa "

Trailer Park Casanova
09-06-2006, 04:35 PM
I take everyones right honorable point of view.

Schiada76
09-06-2006, 04:43 PM
The O-ring keeps the grease from spluging into the cover the grease is on the spidles side of the O-ring.