PDA

View Full Version : Truck A/C needs recharging

Riomouse911
09-05-2006, 10:53 PM
The A/C in my '99 F-250 is not blowing as cold as it used to, I think it's in need of a recharge. I see tons of ads for Auto A/C in the phone book, is there one place in the Corona area anyone can reccomend? Thnx...

RiverRatMike
09-05-2006, 11:27 PM
The A/C in my '99 F-250 is not blowing as cold as it used to, I think it's in need of a recharge. I see tons of ads for Auto A/C in the phone book, is there one place in the Corona area anyone can reccomend? Thnx...
My 99 F-250 is doing the same as yours. Not very cold and I even just had it recharged. Compressor might be going bad. 96K and still on the stock a/c compressor.

Riomouse911
09-05-2006, 11:37 PM
133K here.. same situation with stock everything. The compressor is a possibility I haven't thought of. I hope it's just the freon level, I don't want to start spending money on the little things on a 7 yr old truck..and I sure don't wanna go drop $500+ a month on a new one. This beast has been A+ for me so far..

voodoomedman
09-06-2006, 05:29 AM
Go to Autozone and peak at the Haynes Manual and see what refrigerant you need and how to recharge it. Better yet buy the manual cuz you will need it later for other stuff. Buy the refrigerant for like 20 bucks and recharge it. If that's all it was then great you saved a ton of money and it is very easy. If not then you know you have a leak and then you go to the mechanic to have it fixed and you only blew 20 bucks on refrigerant.

Jbb
09-06-2006, 05:47 AM
If its leaking somewhere ...the leak needs fixing or it wont be fixed.. ....but....a leaking heater core valve,or air box door could raise the temp so could a plugged up radiator,or condensor coil....its not always freon level..

frosty
09-06-2006, 05:49 AM
its been hot, have the a.c. checked to make sure it fullly charged, if not recharged.who ever checks it can check press, high and low side if high side is high you could have a radiator problem, fan clutch,a good a.c. guy can test and tell you the problem. i checked fords tech line no recalls. it could just be a low charge . keep cool frosty .

MBlaster
09-06-2006, 07:00 AM
Go to Autozone and peak at the Haynes Manual and see what refrigerant you need and how to recharge it. Better yet buy the manual cuz you will need it later for other stuff. Buy the refrigerant for like 20 bucks and recharge it. If that's all it was then great you saved a ton of money and it is very easy. If not then you know you have a leak and then you go to the mechanic to have it fixed and you only blew 20 bucks on refrigerant.
I agree.
Spend 20 bucks on a decent a/c gun with a guage, and a couple 10 dollar cans of R134 with leak stop.
You can DIY it in 15 minutes or less.

Tom Brown
09-06-2006, 07:09 AM
If its leaking somewhere ...the leak needs fixing or it wont be fixed.. ....but....a leaking heater core valve,or air box door could raise the temp so could a plugged up radiator,or condensor coil....its not always freon level..
It's illegal to fill a leaking system up here. Still, some customers want their freon topped up every couple of years as part of regular maintenance and most every shop is pleased to do it.
We could use YeLLowBoaT's family friend to kick some ass around here.
Back when I was a refrigeration mechanic, an engineer from Keeprite used to come to town once in a while to put on seminars and try to sell us shit. He said he starts each A/C season with a couple of empty 50 lb bottles and will fill them every summer. By the time they'd call him in to help diagnose a problem, the compressor would float like a helium balloon if it wasn't connected by a line set.
Oh... and the correct level of refrigerant isn't 60 lbs of head pressure. I love that shit. :D
As long as the system isn't leaking, it will never need recharging.