PDA

View Full Version : Magic Deckboat Owners Question

SoCalOffshore
09-06-2006, 07:03 AM
i was out with my cousin this past sunday on his deckboat. he has a mercury 525 with a 26 pitch prop. he seems to have problems getting on plane. we had 9 people on the boat and had to move atleast 4 up to the bow to get it on plane. he would also have to make turns to get it on plane quicker. he has no tabs. i was wondering if he is under prop'd or is his x dimmension off. please chime in with your set up or if you have any issues. i told him to call magic to discuss. thanks allot.

Mandelon
09-06-2006, 07:06 AM
Asking to hear from Magic Deckboat owners.......this thread might get the most replies of any recent thread....... :p
A 26 is pretty tall, going for higher top end, so holeshot will suffer. Its a tradeoff.
Full of people, full of fuel too probably.....redistributed more weight up front and the problem was solved......maybe he has some junk stored in the back he can move up front.

NashvilleBound
09-06-2006, 07:12 AM
What timing...... My Magic was never rigged correctly. Not pointing fingers here it was their first Ilmor....but you might think some research would have been in order.... Turns out my X dimension waas 2" too low. So, when I grenaded my drive 6 weeks ago I paid to replace the lower with a 2" shorty. Ran it last week and it ran right up to 80mph (5900rpm, 26" Bravo 1) with a full load of fuel and 4 people. 70 with 12 on board.... NO problems planing either. It has never ran better. Now am working on getting a higher end prop to see what it will really run under near perfect conditions. Good timing as my season is almost over out here.....go figure :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OutCole'd
09-06-2006, 07:14 AM
I have the same setup. And with a lot of peeps, and fuel, it will take a long time to get on plane. Especially if the heavy folks are in the back and the kids are in front.
If he is driving the boat a majority of the time loaded like that, he may want to put a 24 on it, it will help get it on plane quicker, but will loose some on the top end.

Pro Max
09-06-2006, 07:22 AM
I have a 28 Magic Deck with the HO and CMI pi[pes running a 26 lab Bravo. I had 8 adults in my boat last weekend and while it was slower to plane it was not a problem. I diddnt time it but if I were to guess I would say 8 seconds.

little rowe boat
09-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Isn't this very common with most deck boat, taking 8 to 12 seconds to get up on plane ?

Froggystyle
09-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Isn't this very common with most deck boat, taking 8 to 12 seconds to get up on plane ?
Some... ;)

JB in so cal
09-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Some... ;)
Froggy. Saw boat #2 this weekend. Very nice.

Froggystyle
09-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Froggy. Saw boat #2 this weekend. Very nice.
Thanks. They are having a blast with it.

little rowe boat
09-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Some... ;)
How long does it take to get your deck boat up on plane?

Not So Fast
09-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Come on haters, what boat does not take longer to get on plane when loaded to the hilt, Geeze!!!!!! So dont come on here bragging about how YOUR boat does this or that,whatever :frown: NSF

little rowe boat
09-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Come on haters, what boat does not take longer to get on plane when loaded to the hilt, Geeze!!!!!! So dont come on here bragging about how YOUR boat does this or that,whatever :frown: NSF
:confused:

Froggystyle
09-06-2006, 10:33 AM
How long does it take to get your deck boat up on plane?
A little over a second. With a full load of people (17 this weekend), it takes around 2.5 seconds.

phebus
09-06-2006, 10:36 AM
A little over a second. With a full load of people (17 this weekend), it takes around 2.5 seconds.
Yea, but was that timed with a Rolex, Omega, or Tag. :rollside:

Froggystyle
09-06-2006, 10:37 AM
I don't think it is hating at all dude. There are some drive combinations that get on plane with a load better than others. The duo-prop or B-3 does a much better job than a B-1, and the dual jet does better than both. You certainly sacrifice some top end by gaining bottom end performance though.
A lot of it has to do with boat weight also.
I also don't think I am bragging... just stating facts. Sounds like others are making excuses for poor low end performance though.

Froggystyle
09-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Yea, but was that timed with a Rolex, Omega, or Tag. :rollside:
Exactly... all garbage right... ;)

Not So Fast
09-06-2006, 10:39 AM
WHAT EVER :rolleyes: NSF

Kilrtoy
09-06-2006, 10:46 AM
With a full load and I mean full(atleast for me) 100 gallons of gas 6 adults all of my stuf and 2 other couples stuff, IT WORKS to roll over, dont feel bad...and its not even a magic

DMOORE
09-06-2006, 10:56 AM
i was out with my cousin this past sunday on his deckboat. he has a mercury 525 with a 26 pitch prop. he seems to have problems getting on plane. we had 9 people on the boat and had to move atleast 4 up to the bow to get it on plane. he would also have to make turns to get it on plane quicker. he has no tabs. i was wondering if he is under prop'd or is his x dimmension off. please chime in with your set up or if you have any issues. i told him to call magic to discuss. thanks allot.
With all the people, fuel ,and STUFF, including the kitchen sink, it's going to take some work to get on step. If he isn't looking at winning any races on the busy weekends with all the family, he may want to go to a 24 pitch. It should help a bunch and still let him pull the tube and such with everyone onoard. For the weekends without everyone go back to the 26 pitch.
Darrell.

JB in so cal
09-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Don't have a blue motor, but I did have 6 to 8 people in the boat most of the weekend. Verrrrrrryyyy slow rolling over; monday with just wifey and me, it got up and ran very nicely.
SCO,
lets say the 9 people averaged 150 lbs = 1350 lbs
lets also assume both tanks were full = 90 gal X 6 lbs = 540 lbs
lets also assume the VERY big ice chest had a beverage or two = 100 + lbs
Almost 2000 pounds!! I bet everyone had plenty of room, though? :cool:
Having to move a few people around is not unusual. Hell, I've had to move to a different seat on a commuter jet before we left the gate!!!!!!!
J not a fat pig B in so cal!