PDA

View Full Version : tunnel bottom bahner

pattymelt18
09-06-2006, 07:46 AM
how fast could the hull withstand?

Bense468
09-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Each boat will be different depending on its condition. The bottom is basically like a southwinds tunnel. Takes big power to run them hard. Smaller tunnel then a placecraft.

bp
09-06-2006, 05:29 PM
The bottom is basically like a southwinds tunnel. Takes big power to run them hard. Smaller tunnel then a placecraft.
not true. the bottom of the bahner is more like a pc than a sw. the outter sponsons -may- not be as deep as the pc, but they're a whole lot closer to a pc than an sw.
i don't know that i agree with your -big power- statement either, but i don't know if your just making that statement in general (as in, ALL boats need BIG power to run them hard), or trying to distinguish how much (big) power a bahner requires to go, say 110, compared to how much (little) power it takes XYZ hull???? to run the same way???

TRG
09-06-2006, 05:59 PM
There you have it Bense! :yuk:

steelcomp
09-06-2006, 06:02 PM
I agree with bp...the Bahner is very different than a SW. Much closer to a PC. AFA power to go fast, I ran mine with a cast iron headed. 12:1 467, flat tappet solid cam, and (2) 800's on an old Weiand TR. With full interior, it ran low 11's at 93 in 4000' air. I'd seen 97 on the speedo early in the year, cool morning run. We're talking right around 600 hp, spinning a Berk B 6200. No bottom work, and not much set up time. I think given enough time it could have broken 100. At 600#, it's not going to be an et monster, as compared to a 350# CP tunnel or Daytona, or some of the gullwings, but I think with comparable power it'll hold it's own. I know at near 100, it was rock solid, and never did anything unusual.
How fast will the hull withstand? Not sure what you mean by that question.

MikeF
09-06-2006, 06:06 PM
I think Discochargers dad had one that ran real hard for what it had in it. I never saw any real threads or major explanation on what it had to make it go as it did. I do remember the picture of it running and it was a good looking hull. I think I remember him saying it went 117 (but I'm not 100% sure).

disco_charger
09-06-2006, 06:09 PM
10.17 @ 117. Back in the day (1982). It was a CJ boat. Set up is totally different than a Southwind.

Jeanyus
09-07-2006, 05:19 AM
I was at lake ming the same weekend as Steelcomp.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859scottandbrant.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/58593tunnels.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/585985bahner.jpg
We compaired Bahners. His boat is a heavier layup than mine How much is a guess. My boat ran 78 mph that weekend. I have made some improvements since then and have achieved 85 MPH. My next move was to get with MPD and have a back cut shoe made, and continue with the setup improvements.
I think this boat would see 90 with it's current power. I had the motor built with nitrious in mind, and was hoping to see near 100 mph. Out of a puny little 427.

pattymelt18
09-07-2006, 07:01 AM
nice, im lookin foward to it, thanks for the help. jus wonderin.....

Bense468
09-07-2006, 07:52 AM
not true. the bottom of the bahner is more like a pc than a sw. the outter sponsons -may- not be as deep as the pc, but they're a whole lot closer to a pc than an sw.
i don't know that i agree with your -big power- statement either, but i don't know if your just making that statement in general (as in, ALL boats need BIG power to run them hard), or trying to distinguish how much (big) power a bahner requires to go, say 110, compared to how much (little) power it takes XYZ hull???? to run the same way???
I don't ever remember the outside sponsons being as deep. I am going to go by my buddies and take a look. Unless they made different bahner tunnels which I am not sure about. They are not a PC bottom though.
With a stock big block they don't run very much if any faster then most jet boats the same size, and your telling me that if you have one that runs 110 that you can drop that same motor in a TPR hull or even a CP and run 110. I am just throwing out hulls, but I would bet both of those boats would be considerbly quicker and faster with the same power. along with a PC
Then this bring up a question, have you ever even seen one run 110 without bottom work? how about 110 with bottom work?

djdtpr
09-07-2006, 10:05 AM
I didnt know that these boats had sponsons i thought that they were modified v bottoms?If you take a 110 mph gullwing it will take more motor in a PC to run the 110 than in a gullwing.

disco_charger
09-07-2006, 12:37 PM
"Performance" (TX and Cal) boats were quicker (E.T.) than the Bahner.

bp
09-11-2006, 01:00 PM
I don't ever remember the outside sponsons being as deep. I am going to go by my buddies and take a look. Unless they made different bahner tunnels which I am not sure about. They are not a PC bottom though.
didn't see this for awhile.
if you put the bahner next to the pc next to the sw, and just looked at the bottoms, you would see that the bahner is much closer to the pc than the sw. i didn't say exactly the same, but much closer. the caps are different for all three, with the bahner being completely different than the other two.
With a stock big block they don't run very much if any faster then most jet boats the same size, and your telling me that if you have one that runs 110 that you can drop that same motor in a TPR hull or even a CP and run 110. I am just throwing out hulls, but I would bet both of those boats would be considerbly quicker and faster with the same power. along with a PC?
never said anything about a "stock big block". you said "big power", so i'm assuming you mean something north of 750? because to get an honest to god 110 or more, you're gonna need at least that much, i don't care which one of these hulls you're talking about.
Then this bring up a question, have you ever even seen one run 110 without bottom work? how about 110 with bottom work?
i'd say that's at the heart of all of the boat's we're talking about here. from what i've seen, in stock form the bahner doesn't have the pump back as far as either the pc or the sw. all of 'em need bottom/hardware work to make them run that kind of number, or slightly higher, consistently. to me, getting right at, or slightly over 110 with any one of these three hulls, OR a stealth or cp, with the hardware all worked out and bottom prepped, would have more to do with their weight.
it will be interesting to see what steelcomp's bahner does this weekend. he has dyno numbers for that engine, so then we can speculate how fast something else would be with the same numbers.