PDA

View Full Version : River dog experts?

Schiada76
09-06-2006, 08:56 AM
We have a small dog we bring with us to Parker and something (ants?) bite her all over. She then gets little raised bumps that drive her crazy and she scratches raw spots on top of the bites. We've tried Frontline and Hartz spray with no results. Anyone have any tips?

Huckleberry
09-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Heat rash???

MudPumper
09-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Leave the dog at home. :crossx:

Schiada76
09-06-2006, 09:23 AM
Oh yeah wifey would love that idea. :rolleyes:
It's not heat rash, either the flys or the ants are biting her.

topless
09-06-2006, 09:26 AM
It's not heat rash, either the flys or the ants are biting her.Try Skin so Soft.

RiverDave
09-06-2006, 09:28 AM
We have a small dog we bring with us to Parker and something (ants?) bite her all over. She then gets little raised bumps that drive her crazy and she scratches raw spots on top of the bites. We've tried Frontline and Hartz spray with no results. Anyone have any tips?
Schiada76, that's never happened to my dog at the river, but it happened to her several times here at home. She'd break out and have Welts all over her, and they seemed to itch her and over all she looked and felt pretty miserable.
The 1st time it happened was a few years back I moved into an apartment.. The apartment had fleas and the fleas were starving to death, and as soon as she walked in they pretty much attacked her. :( She had a few subsequent break outs after that.
I called my vet becuase I was unable to get her down to them, and they recomended that I give her benadryl. I gave her 2 pills, and it cleared up. About a month later she broke out again, and I took her to the vet and they gave her a shot (I think it was Hydrocortizone? Maybe a million mg's of Benadryl? Who knows) but it cleared up.. They also gave me a shot to take home with me and to the river in case if ever happened out there. It hasn't happened since they gave her that last shot. I did some research online and it's actually pretty common (amongst pitbulls and a few other breeds) for them to have those break outs, for no apparent reason? As well as for them to go away for no apparent reason.. :(
Try the benadryl 1st (way cheaper then the vet visit) give the dog one pill if it's small. If that doesn't clear it up within an hour or two take the dog and get the shot. ;) It cost about 115 bucks.
RD

Schiada76
09-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks Dave!
It definitely only happens at the River. She digs in the sand to cool off and we've caught ants crawling on her. I didn't know if benydryl was ok for dogs.
The bites aren't as bad as her worrying the results.
I'll check with the vet on dosage as she is a mere 15#'s of ankle biting fury. :D

RiverDave
09-06-2006, 09:49 AM
She was telling me it's pretty much to ok to give benadryl to any dog for a allergic reaction. The bumps aren't where the ants or whatever "bite" the dog, but rather an allergic reaction from getting bitten. Atleast that's the way it was in my dogs case. She was allergic to whatever bit her. That could be Ants, Fleas, Wasp, Mosquito, Bee, etc.. I never did figure out exactly what it was that caused it, but it hasn't happened in a long time so I'm not really worried about it.
How old is the dog?
RD

Schiada76
09-06-2006, 10:13 AM
About two years. I'd post a pic if I had half a brain.
The bumps aren't a rash or allergic reaction. They are more like a mosquito bite at specific locations. She does scratch and lick the hell out of them which is worse than the bite. The Benadryl should stop the itching.

RiverDave
09-06-2006, 10:50 AM
How many bumps are there? Is it one two three? Or like 50 - 100?
My dog had bumps all over her.. Probably 100 of them on her if I had to guess? They were all over her head, body etc.. It wasn't a "rash" persay but an allergic reaction of some sort?
RD

Schiada76
09-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Six to ten.
It'll be Benadryl for Cujita (little Cujo) on the next trip. :D

Rexone
09-06-2006, 11:36 AM
If small dog only give half a benedryl.

ratso
09-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Leave the dog AND the wife at home! :crossx:

MrsSigEpMock
09-06-2006, 12:58 PM
If it's flys, you can use Fly spray. Get at any feed/tack store (horses) and water it down. It comes in concentrate but water it way down beyond mix instructions. Doesn't smell very good either so watch out. It could also be mites in the sand/dirt. If you own/rent the place, you'll want to spray.

MrsSigEpMock
09-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Six to ten.
It'll be Benadryl for Cujita (little Cujo) on the next trip. :D
Buy Children's Benedryl, no more than 250mg a dose 2xday. 500mg 3xdaily is enough for full size dog. Benedryl will make her/him thirsty so make sure it has plenty of water. And DO NOT give Tylenol, (Ace......) poison to doggies. :cool:
Good luck!

squirt'nmyload
09-06-2006, 01:03 PM
yep...benedryl....my dog was attacked by ants twice and her face was swollen up bad and eyes swollen shut!!!! i wish i had pics cause it looked soooooo funny. anyways, took her to the vet 1st time and they gave her a shot. they recommended benedryl if it happened again and it worked great the second time.http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/gap.gif

Schiada76
09-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Leave the dog AND the wife at home! :crossx:
Then who would cook for me and pour my shots? :D
To everyone else, thanks for the advice!

Biglue
09-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Is your name going to wind up on this thread? :D
How's it going amigo?
http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126571

Schiada76
09-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Is your name going to wind up on this thread? :D
How's it going amigo?
http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126571
Damn! That's cold! :yuk: :D
I'll tell you what, a few years ago my wife and I were in our flatty at a regatta. Two guys slid up next to us for an aerial picture and my wife said "OHHHHH how do we get our boat to sound like that?"
One guy says put a blower on it the other guys says yeah and throw a whole lot of money in it. The wife says "well get a blower then honey"! I tell her she can have the new kitchen remodel we had been planning or I need a new boat since this one won't handle that much power.
She said "screw the kitchen I can wait, that blower was bad ass"!
Hence the Schiada.
If that's balls on a short leash I'll take take it every day. :D :D
I still owe you shots and beers . :D

Biglue
09-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Damn! That's cold! :yuk: :D
I'll tell you what, a few years ago my wife and I were in our flatty at a regatta. Two guys slid up next to us for an aerial picture and my wife said "OHHHHH how do we get our boat to sound like that?"
One guy says put a blower on it the other guys says yeah and throw a whole lot of money in it. The wife says "well get a blower then honey"! I tell her she can have the new kitchen remodel we had been planning or I need a new boat since this one won't handle that much power.
She said "screw the kitchen I can wait, that blower was bad ass"!
Hence the Schiada.
If that's balls on a short leash I'll take take it every day. :D :D
I still owe you shots and beers . :D
Something tells me you're the one at home mad and by yourself. LMAO
I'll take you up on those shots and beers one of these days.

Schiada76
09-06-2006, 01:54 PM
[QUOTE=Biglue]Something tells me you're the one at home mad and by yourself. LMAO
HAH!
Fishing trips whenever I plan 'em (five days minimum out of Diego).
River trips men only whenever we plan them.
Then there is the "Oh honey I'm going to see my sister, mom, or whoever" but I'm always kinda busy.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-06-2006, 04:42 PM
It might be sand fleas also. Most likely ants, though. Since garlic and vitamin e work for fleas, I wonder if they would work for ants as well? If so, you could feed the dog garlic and vitamin e softgels before/during a trip or just get the flea stuff from the vet (the pet store stuff is not the same).