PDA

View Full Version : exhaust adapters for O/T wet stacks

eek-a-RAT
09-06-2006, 10:40 AM
have you seen these? im still wonderin what kind of exhaust these are? i dont know the bolt pattern for olds but that what im assuming, being olds has the to center exhaust together like a small block chevy. please correct me if im wrong.
im tryin to help a future buyer of one of my boats & it had these on them. it had a very bad exhaust leak & want to correct it before he comes down from canada to pick this thing up. it had some serious leaks & pops lettin in to much cold oxygen in the cracks.
if he dont pick it up , its one more for the + side for me to keep it.
its a 1967 tahiti 16' (schuster) originally a BBC but now a sbc.
thanks for the helps!
it is for sale if anyone is intrested.

eek-a-RAT
09-06-2006, 10:44 AM
i forgot to add, that these a bolted to the head with counter sunk allen bolts , then the headers bolted on with normal header bolts.
the first pic has a snapped header bolt which i still need to extract.
any info helps!
what i need is a pic of olds headers @ the flange. any of yall got some pics?

kraig
09-06-2006, 11:45 AM
They are adapters for bolting on Bassett Headers, you have to go with Ultra Copper Sealant for the gaskets. I have them on mine and the gaskets burned out in 2 days, so went with the sealer. If you have heard of Sthal Hi-Perf SBC Heads, this is the bolt pattern, or the Chevy Heads are called SB2. Hope this helps. :rollside:

eek-a-RAT
09-06-2006, 12:44 PM
so, i take its not a olds 455 style bolt style? it has huge primary tubes like 2inch. thats bigger than i have seen on any small block chevy. the adapter plate @2 7/8 while the head is only 2 5/8. my big block chevy has @ 2.5 primarys. talk about gettin the flow out of that small block. i will post up a pic of the headers in a few.......

Oldsquirt
09-06-2006, 01:10 PM
so, i take its not a olds 455 style bolt style? .......
Absolutely, positively NOT an Olds pattern. The bolt pattern around the end ports is wron. On an Olds they are all in line, except for the center bolt. Those plates have the end port bolt holes staggered. The center-to-center spacing of the outer exhaust ports on an Olds is a couple inches LESS than the same measurement on a SBC, due to a different valve/port arrangement on the heads.

eek-a-RAT
09-06-2006, 02:50 PM
all the small block chevy o/t headers ive seen are the same as any small block chevy. the headers on this tahiti have a way different bolt pattern due to this adapter seen in pic 1. thats why i asked if there is another bolt pattern for chevy/adapt to another style pattern? olds/amc/mopar/ford??

eek-a-RAT
09-06-2006, 03:08 PM
here is some more pics, remember there is a adapter plate behind these header flanges. hope this can help clarify a few things for me & my compadres.

Oldsquirt
09-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Eek, spacers such as those have been in use on small block Chevys for some time. They allowed the use of substantially larger primary tubes. The pattern was developed by "Stahl", a header manufacturer back in the 60's or 70's(?).
They do not allow the use of headers designed for any engine other than the SBC. As you can see the port spacing is exactly the same as stock, only the ports are larger.
I'm no guru by any means but they just seem like adapoters to run BBC headers...
Can't. Wrong port layout.

eek-a-RAT
09-06-2006, 04:30 PM
is this company still around? should i just trash'em & look for others with standard primarys without the adapters? these headers that are on it have had there days. pretty rusty around the flange but no holes. i was thinkin of some kind of coatin such as ceramic. i just want it to be pretty close to lake worthy for a buyer without having to dump all kinds of funds into it.
i have a sanger s/j to do that with.

Oldsquirt
09-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Stahl is still around although they probably didn't make those headers. More likely that the headers are Bassett, Rewarder or maybe even Sanderson(they no longer make marine headers).
Here's a little info on thoseStahl adapters (http://www.stahlheaders.com/af.htm)
BTW, if you end up trashing those headers, DON'T toss the adapters. Seems like every year there's at least one person looking for a set.

2Sangers
09-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Those are the same adapters and headers that I run on my Sanger Hydro and on my Sanger Superjet. Both are 406 inch small block chevy with standard exhaust patterns on the heads. The adapters are needed because of the large primary tube size, but should not be mistaken for Stahl pattern. They are older Hooker pattern. I wasted a lot of money on E bay buying adapters for sprint cars that run stahl headers and they do not fit these.
I bought one set of rewarders new in 97 and they are just like what you pictured. Still available new.
Good info on the gasket sealer. This is a must.

Oldsquirt
09-06-2006, 05:28 PM
.... They are older Hooker pattern. I wasted a lot of money on E bay buying adapters for sprint cars that run stahl headers and they do not fit these.
I bought one set of rewarders new in 97 and they are just like what you pictured. Still available new.
Good catch, you are correct. The patterns are quite similar, but bolt locations are just a little different.