PDA

View Full Version : Draining Casale?

Schiada Time
09-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Hello all. I am getting ready to drain the gear oil out of my C-500 in my Schiada and wanted to know if there is a special pump I need to do it and if so does someone have one I could borrow. I live in Orange County. Thanks in advance.
travis

Itsahobby
09-06-2006, 03:22 PM
I use one of those Vaccum tank deals. It was a cheap one. I think it is called Big Blue tank. I got mine onsale at West Marine. It is used for draining your oil, but worked fine for my v-drive.
Wow, I just check on the price, it is called a topsider, $49.
You could use a drill pump, about $15.
Jerry

Mr. V-Driver
09-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Take the plug out and flip the boat over!!! :rollside: L.O.L.
Did ya try West Marine, Overton's or Pep Boys Auto parts, I'm sure they'll have something to do the trick!!!
Best is some kind of Pump to suck it out, and when ya fill it make sure you put it in the top pipe plug and when it runs out the bottom, cap it off you're done!
C-500 takes 1 1/2 pints. Gear Oil, and the thicker the better 85/140 or Redline Red heavy duty!
Good Luck with project!!!

scottys
09-07-2006, 02:38 AM
Slip a garbage bag under it and split the case.

Rexone
09-07-2006, 02:48 AM
I have always used a simple suction gun you can buy at most any auto parts store. Has a clear hose and is a canister, looks similar to grease gun except it sucks oil out of things. This of course if I don't want to inspect innereds and just change oil. Works good on rear ends too that don't have drain plugs. Bench racers use them for other purposes I've heard but I don't ask. :)
Here's a link to typical suction gun (http://www.autobarn.net/te30-118.html)

DUCKY
09-07-2006, 07:38 AM
Suction gun works well, as does those little "bottle pumps" that are sold everywhere for filling outboard and sterndrive gearcases. I haven't tried a c-500 in this manner, but on a split case you can stick the little nylon tube down the oil level hole and get almost all of it.

flat broke
09-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Trav,
If you need to borrow the oil boy deal, let me know. I can bring it down whenever you have the boat over getting the plumbing handled. Short of that, the mightyvac deals like Rex was talking about are easy to find and you can sometimes score em cheap at Harbor Frieght.
Chris

Bob Hostetter
09-07-2006, 09:27 AM
How often should it be changed?

Mr. V-Driver
09-07-2006, 11:00 AM
At least every 6 months pleasure boating. For racing or hard abuse frequently, change more often!!!
Note:"This is Not an Advertisement"!

sawtooth
09-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Travis, Harbor Freight has a self priming siphon pump kit that says it will pump any liquid and comes with 4' of hose for both the intake and discharge with a solid brass piston pump.....and it's only $4.99. I know this because I just got a sale paper in the mail today. I think your in Orange, they have a store at 811 S. Tustin Ave. @ 22 Fwy. (714) 633-9881. Good luck.
Chris.

GofastRacer
09-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Well since the v-drive sits right next to important body parts, I would think that if it's time to change the oil it's also time for an inspection to see what's going on in there, not to mention that you get "all" the old oil out!.. I don't even wait till the oil "needs" to be changed to pop the case and inspect it!.. But that's just me!.. :rolleyes: