PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 liter diesel

slowinhavasu
09-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Early motor, I think it's in a 87 chevy, pros and cons???????????

Redneck
09-06-2006, 05:55 PM
con its old lol actually then wasnt that motor just a 350 with glow plugs might be wrong

Jordy
09-06-2006, 06:03 PM
It's actually the same short block as the 6.5 for all intents an purposes. It's what they ran in the Hummer for years. When you get a good one, they're good, other than that, good luck. Banks made a Sidewinder kit for them to turbo them and bring them to life a little bit, ATS was another choice which might be better than Banks, but it's a 6.2 so it is what it is. Weak 2 bolt bottom end, along with brittle crank and pistons, but they ran a mechanical pump, so it was actually user servicable. I put 245K on a 6.5 Chevy turbo diesel with an electronic pump with minimal problems. You just get used to not being the first one up the hills if that is what you're running. Any other questions, post 'um up.

slowinhavasu
09-06-2006, 06:11 PM
This K5 is super clean, one owner low miles kinda delio....nobody wants to buy it because it's the early diesel....I just want it to cruise around the desert here, desert bar and pull a boat up and down the hill ???????
I'm a pretty good mechanic, but don't want to get in over my head...

Jordy
09-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Carey, like I said, the 6.2 was a good motor if you don't plan on pulling 16,000 lbs up the hill at 75 mph. I have a few friends who had them in a K5 and they were wheelin' mo' fo's as they make most their torque before the 2000 rpm range. If you get a good one they'll run forever and parts are abundant and cheap. It's when people try to hotrod them and keep up with the big blocks and newer diesels running up the hill that they run into trouble.
If the price is right, I say go for it as the basic mechanicals are very easy on the early diesels. Injectors and glow plugs are cheap and the injection pump in mechanical so it's a matter of marking what position it was in when it came out as to where it goes back in when you replace it, then just prime the system and you're golden. They get great mileage in a K5 and if you blow it up, pull it out and put a crate or junkyard small block gasser in it and be done with it and still have a fun off roader.

slowinhavasu
09-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Sounds like it might fit our needs....Thanks for the help.......

Run_em_Hard
09-06-2006, 06:25 PM
I have heard that they get really good fuel milage untill you put some weight behind them...

DMOORE
09-06-2006, 07:09 PM
For just putting around the desert or town, it would be great. Good fuel mileage and all. Just don't expect to tow with it.
Darrell.

HavasuHome
09-06-2006, 07:20 PM
R you getting rid of the Jeep?

Trailer Park Casanova
09-06-2006, 08:43 PM
I remember, and correct me if I'm wrong, it's a throw-away motor, no rebuilding it.

Jordy
09-06-2006, 08:47 PM
I remember, and correct me if I'm wrong, it's a throw-away motor, no rebuilding it.
Back then, there was a certain level of rebuildabilty (is that a word??). However, now, you'd be more money in trying to rebuild a 6.2 or 6.5 than you could either buy a wrecked engine to swing in or a crate gasser to R&R. For what is sounds like Carey is looking to do with it, it should be lots of fun. I do know that once upon a time, having a 6.2 put a - sign in the KBB number as far as value. Yet for the right price, if it's a good one, it will be a blast for quite a while.

cdog
09-06-2006, 10:13 PM
A lot of people pull the 6.2 and drop a 383 small block in the K5's since the diesels don't need smog checks.

dicudmore
09-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Carey I kinda agree with Jordy here...not much in terms of power there but they ran FOREVER :cool:

spectratoad
09-07-2006, 01:10 PM
I had an 86 Suburban with a 6.2. I never had any problems with it. If you are towing make sure you have about 10 miles to get around. Definitely will not burn rubber in that aspect. I have two starters left, one new-one rebuilt, if you end up getting this. Extras are good to have around.

Super D
09-07-2006, 01:13 PM
I had the GMC Jimmy w/ the 6.2 - It was great. It was a dog when towing and uphill in general, but no probs other than replacing the fuel pump (and tranny at ~100k, make sure you have a cooler).
DEFINITELY get the 3" exhaust and K&N - it was a whole new beast after that. More peppy, better mileage, and a torque monster for off-roading. All-in-all, it was a great vehicle, especially w/ the removable hard-top.
Good Luck!

Devilman
09-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Friend of mine had one in a 1/2 4x4.... It was damn near indestructable. Ran the hell out of it, ran it under water, you name it. Sounded funny to hear that diesel when he had it all wound up.... But it was one of the few things on that truck that he never tore it up. :cool:

desertbird
09-07-2006, 01:51 PM
...if you blow it up, pull it out and put a crate or junkyard small block gasser in it and be done with it and still have a fun off roader.
This is the best part if you had to register the thing in Cali. Your paperwork forever says "Diesel" and that is "Smog Exempt!"
Yank the diesel and put a Blown Nitro motor with NOS in it if you wanted to, then still keep it "street legal."
I've known a few people who looked to buy the old diesel truck, just to make a monster 4x4 out of it, and not be hassled by the BS smog laws in Kali. :crossx: