PDA

View Full Version : congrats to those born from the 30's to the 60's

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Congratulations
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE
30"s 40's, 50's, and 60's !!
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us .
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes .
Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints .
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because..... .
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING !!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms........ ..WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.
We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!
Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!
This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned
HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!
And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!
You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good. And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.
Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

deltaAce
09-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks, that will be my new cover letter on my 'resume when I'm competeing w/ 30 yr. olds for tech jobs. I always knew the school of hard knocks produced a better trouble-shooter, problem solver. Our toy's were dangerous also! The creepy crawler oven, the red & white water pump rocket! Remember any others?
We used to walk to the creek toting rifles....right down the neighborhood!

HocusPocus
09-06-2006, 07:19 PM
i was born in 1962 in Texas, i remember well riding in the back of a pick up truck with no tailgate.. often. i remember playing with fireworks and not the "safe-n-sane" ones either.. im talking high explosives (so it seemed at the time) :crossx:
i remember that if i screwed up at a friends house, his mom would beat my butt then drag me home where i would get another whopp'n.
i was also spanked in school and on more then one occasion, yes i deserved it.
i was the remote control for our tv "boy, change the channel". with only 5 channels it didnt take long to figure out nothing was on.
memories.... :)

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-06-2006, 07:26 PM
i was born in 1967 in Texas, i remember well riding in the back of a pick up truck with no tailgate.. often. i remember playing with fireworks and not the "safe-n-sane" ones either.. im talking high explosives (so it seemed at the time) :crossx:
i remember that if i screwed up at a friends house, his mom would beat my butt then drag me home where i would get another whopp'n.
i was also spanked in school and on more then one occasion, yes i deserved it.
i was the remote control for our tv "boy, change the channel". with only 5 channels it didnt take long to figure out nothing was on.
memories.... :)
LMAO!! on changing the channel. My Dad use to tell me.
"Girlie why do you think we had kids." :rollside:

Trailer Park Casanova
09-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Pic of my mom 8 mos along with me with a Lucky Strike in one hand and a gin and tonic in the other.
The thing that was best was bad crimes still shocked people, first run episodes of Twilite Zone on a warm nite like tonight watching it with no A/C windows open,,
Bobs Big Boys tasted good then,,,
A dollar was worth 10 bux, polio vaccine was a BFD,,

PINSTRIPER GIRL
09-06-2006, 08:57 PM
That is all sooo true! Alot of kids are too sheltered today. They don't learn how to figure problems out for themselves because paranoid parents don't let them fall and learn. Americas obesity problem is kids who don't play outside! Lawyers and bleeding heart right wingers have changed so many of the simple pleasures we all knew as kids. Thanks for posting that, it brought back alot of memories. (especially the tv channel turning!) LOL

life's a river
09-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Great post! I was born in 65 and remember riding my bike or skateboard everywhere with out a helmet. Towing surfboards behind my bike with a trailer made from an old golf bag dolly from the city of Orange to Newport Beach and back. My friends dog bit me in the face. No law suit, just a few stitches and I was back out playing again. Sometimes when the hose was not available a running sprinkler would do just fine. Now we might run into reclaimed water. We all could go on and on.
What a great time to be a kid!
LAR

Havasu1986
09-06-2006, 09:11 PM
That brought back alot of memories for me also, growing up in the the 60's / 70's. Playing wiffle ball with my brother and freinds untill dark in the summer's. I miss those days with my freinds, and I miss my mother even more. I think I will call my dad in the morning and remanice.

H20 Toie
09-06-2006, 10:36 PM
we could buy fire crackers and use then without parental supervision

YeLLowBoaT
09-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Damn, I was born in 81 and my life was like that( - the mom somking/drinking and the lead based paint) hell I can remeber when one of the local countys use to trade .22 shells for ground squrrel tails( they were burrowing in to the leaves and irragation ditchs) i don't think we even had a tv until i was about 9 or 10.
oh yeah, I didn't get a bb gun when I was 10... I got a remington 1100 youth in 20 ga. :crossx:

wsuwrhr
09-06-2006, 11:54 PM
why do you think we had kids." :rollside:
I heard that more than once for various reasons.
Brian

wsuwrhr
09-06-2006, 11:54 PM
You are a damn baby.
Brian
Damn, I was born in 81 and my life was like that( - the mom somking/drinking and the lead based paint) hell I can remeber when one of the local countys use to trade .22 shells for ground squrrel tails( they were burrowing in to the leaves and irragation ditchs) i don't think we even had a tv until i was about 9 or 10.
oh yeah, I didn't get a bb gun when I was 10... I got a remington 1100 youth in 20 ga. :crossx:

Orange Gasm
09-07-2006, 12:03 AM
I was born in 1954 and i would not change a thing if i got to start over. God bless 22 rifles and alot of squarrels and color tv.

YeLLowBoaT
09-07-2006, 12:05 AM
You are a damn baby.
Brian
I get asked all the time what HS I go to.... I actaully get hit on now by more hs girls then I did in hs :cry:

DelawareDave
09-07-2006, 03:26 AM
Damn, I was born in 81 and my life was like that
Damn- my youngest "baby" was born before you! But I'm old, so.....
But I do remember having a TV set in the 50's. My parents didn't get their first color TV til the 70's. Hell, we didn't even have a family car til I was 11 years old! Oh- and I'm working on grandbaby #4!
And Lynn's Jet is even older than me!

Maxey
09-07-2006, 04:18 AM
Congratulations
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE
30"s 40's, 50's, and 60's !!
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us .
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes .
Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints .
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because..... .
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING !!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms........ ..WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.
We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!
Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!
This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned
HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!
And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!
You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good. And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.
Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
AMEN!

beyondhelpin
09-07-2006, 04:45 AM
God forbid you turn that dial to fast. Got my ass chewed many a times for that!

river redy
09-07-2006, 04:52 AM
And dont forget watching super 8 movies on the garage door and smoking massive amounts of weed, oh did i forget WALTER CRONKITE :)

OGShocker
09-07-2006, 05:50 AM
I was born in 1954 and i would not change a thing if i got to start over. God bless 22 rifles and alot of squarrels and color tv.
I remember taking my .22 rifle to Junior High. One of my teachers bore sighted it for me. I carried into class out in the open. That was 1974-75.

v-drive
09-07-2006, 06:37 AM
I think I was about 12 maybe a little older so this would be in the early 60's. one summer day we were riding our bikes in the river bed when one of the kids pulled out a cherry bomb and dared me to light it and throw it down one of the sewer outlets(gross huh).; anyway one guy opened the gate while I lit and threw the thing as far in as I could, we knew nothing of sewer gasses at the time. I can still remember the fright when that thing went off. We laughed like hell and then rode off into another adventure. yeah, those were the days.

Debbolas
09-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Good post Mrs. Flyin Vee
:D

UncleLarry
09-07-2006, 01:40 PM
So isnt it those of us (yes i am including me in that too) that lived thru all that the ones that put all these new rules and guidelines into effect?
What when wrong?