PDA

View Full Version : First Karate Lesson

CBadDad
09-06-2006, 06:33 PM
I have been telling my middle child (daughter in the 8th grade) to find some activity to keep her busy and out of trouble, or I would find one for her. Her younger sister is busy with soccer and her older brother is playing freshman football, but she just wants to lay around the house and watch TV or play on the computer. So I signed us both up for Karate. :crossx:
It was really cool, but a lot harder than I ever imagined. I need the excercise and stretching and I figured that it would be good for her to have a little self defense skills not to mention the self discipline aspect.
I think we're gonna have fun.

HocusPocus
09-06-2006, 06:52 PM
i started Karate when i was 18 and in the military, i kept it up for 6-7 years and really enjoyed it. when i was 38 i decided to locate my old instructer who was still in Moreno Valley and give it another shot. it almost killed me, i couldn't believe how much my body hurt and it didn't get much better until after the 1st month. i did it for another 6 months and then just didn't have the time to keep going with it.
my Sensei is the second guy on the left, this photo was taken at the 2004 Masters Hall Of Fame.
http://www.policetaihojutsu.com/images/photos-hof/2004hof-1.jpg
Its alot of fun and i miss it.

cc322
09-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Nice choice grasshopper, stay with it both of you, it's a great way to clear your mind and learn self defense

ratso
09-06-2006, 06:55 PM
I have been telling my middle child (daughter in the 8th grade) to find some activity to keep her busy and out of trouble, or I would find one for her. Her younger sister is busy with soccer and her older brother is playing freshman football, but she just wants to lay around the house and watch TV or play on the computer. So I signed us both up for Karate. :crossx:
It was really cool, but a lot harder than I ever imagined. I need the excercise and stretching and I figured that it would be good for her to have a little self defense skills not to mention the self discipline aspect.
I think we're gonna have fun.
That is awesome... too many injuries from other things took me away from Karate. Hopefully with my busy schedule I can find the time to get back into it eventually. As it stands now it's hard enough to get into the gym. Great you are getting your daughter involved with something... and doing it with her! ;)

ratso
09-06-2006, 06:57 PM
i started Karate when i was 18 and in the military, i kept it up for 6-7 years and really enjoyed it. when i was 38 i decided to locate my old instructer who was still in Moreno Valley and give it another shot. it almost killed me, i couldn't believe how much my body hurt and it didn't get much better until after the 1st month. i did it for another 6 months and then just didn't have the time to keep going with it.
my Sensei is the second guy on the left, this photo was taken at the 2004 Masters Hall Of Fame.
http://www.policetaihojutsu.com/images/photos-hof/2004hof-1.jpg
Its alot of fun and i miss it.
Hurt... I know what you mean lol...

CBadDad
09-07-2006, 05:58 AM
I hardly slept last night and I am so sore this morning. The Sensei kept saying "take it easy" and I thought I was, but I must of used a bunch of muscles that I do not usually use. :cry:
Of coarse, my daughter came skipping down the stairs this morning and has no idea why I could possibly be sore. Why is youth wasted on the young? Damn, gettin' old sucks!

HocusPocus
09-07-2006, 12:19 PM
I hardly slept last night and I am so sore this morning. The Sensei kept saying "take it easy" and I thought I was, but I must of used a bunch of muscles that I do not usually use. :cry:
Of coarse, my daughter came skipping down the stairs this morning and has no idea why I could possibly be sore. Why is youth wasted on the young? Damn, gettin' old sucks!
you gotta start somewhere.. :) remember to do a lot of stretching.. it seems to help.

Legal Chemistry
09-07-2006, 01:29 PM
That's great you have her in there, esp with Pops! I started w/Karate around 8, several years later migrated over to Judo. Entered high school w/a hellavu wrestling background. Boxed a few years after that. Excellent way to keep focused, in shape, and lean that things don't come easy (esp at that age.) Best of luck. :)

axkiker
09-08-2006, 05:06 AM
hey cbaddad where did you sign up at. I have been in karate for about 18 years. Fought on the rskc circuit for around 10 of thoes years and the naska world tour for 4. I might know the club you joined. Who is your instructor. Do they compete much? Congrats on joining a great sport.
later