PDA

View Full Version : Golf Cart Help?!?

HYPNAUTIC
09-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Thinking of gettin a cart. Got a few ?'s. Looking for some input.
I'm leaning toward electric since some of the use will be around the neighborhood and I can do without the complaints. I plan to do a lift, lights, and basic cosmetic upgrades.
My bigest ? is brand/model and what year. Are there certain brands that are harder to modify? Are there years that were more prone to problems than others? Is a 48V that much more powerful than 36V or does it not really matter?
Help me out!!!
Thanks,
Gary

Havasu1986
09-06-2006, 11:00 PM
I have a gas cart which is in my avatar. We went with gas because we didn't want to carry a 2 mile extension cord down to the channel. We bring it home in the winter and nobody complains. There not that loud.

Throttle
09-06-2006, 11:23 PM
I got gas!
No really, I just bought a gas ez-go cart last month... not that loud runs slow thats all... if you upgrade the electric one with some bigger power batteries, I have heard you could get more speed. I do not know anything about that though...
ok, i do hav gas... thats why I am up so late, lol.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/2610100_0443.JPG
:rollside:

djunkie
09-07-2006, 01:20 AM
I'm leaning toward electric since some of the use will be around the neighborhood and I can do without the complaints. I plan to do a lift, lights, and basic cosmetic upgrades.
My bigest ? is brand/model and what year. Are there certain brands that are harder to modify? Are there years that were more prone to problems than others? Is a 48V that much more powerful than 36V or does it not really matter?
Help me out!!!
Thanks,
Gary
Check out this site. http://server1.buggiesunlimited.com/phpBB2/
Find out all the info you want to know. I have a gas cart. Better yet a gas cart on steroids. With the quiet muffler, its just that.....quiet. :rollside: :rollside:

FREIND OF AA AND TA
09-07-2006, 05:52 AM
If you don't ever plan on going to the Islander get gas for sure. They are not loud at all. Most cars are louder.

probablecause
09-07-2006, 06:30 AM
I have a battery one and would dump it in a heartbeat for a gas one. As the other members have said, they are not that loud. Pain in the ass to have to keep charging your batteries up. Also, if you ever plan to take it to Glamis or Ocotillo or a place like that, gas is the way to go. You can always jump start a gas motor 2 miles from home but not with 4 or 6 dead batteries.

cactusgolfcarts
09-07-2006, 06:34 AM
Help me out!!!
Thanks,
Gary
The 48v Club Car is nice because you can upgrade the motor, controller, and go to a 4 gauge wire and the cart will have all of the torque you want AND run 25mph. Don't get me wrong, you can do all of this with a 36v cart also. Let me know if we can help.

TOBTEK
09-07-2006, 07:34 AM
IF YOUR interested, my brother built a really nice gas clubcar last yr and wants to sell it. already lifted 8", nice 12" wheels and 489 tires, nice paint, rear seat assy... NICE cart. wants 5K for it. IF you build one you will spend more if you do it right. let me know if your into it and I'll get you his #

OutCole'd
09-07-2006, 07:38 AM
Like it has been said, if you are going to take it on long rides, go gas. Short trips around a RV park, I would go electric.
If you do go electric, DO NOT GO WITH A REGEN! You are limited on the motor and controller on these. If I ever catch the guy that sold me mine, I'm going to wring his neck! :)
Also, it is usually cheaper to buy one that is already fixed up than to build it your self. The cart Toby is talking about would cost 6-7k to put together if done right.

Froggystyle
09-07-2006, 08:31 AM
I am selling our cart relatively cheap as well. I have a 2002 EZGO 36V with a new PDS controller, (the good one to have), brand new Trojan 6v batteries, roll cage, bimini top, custom interior and paint, 4" lift, 11" wheels and nice tires, billet steering wheel, stainless steering shaft cover, diamond plate guards, front tube bumper, undercar lighting, front driving lights, signals, rear seat, brake lights, 4 gauge wiring etc... and has a California plate too! It is street legal on any street below 35 mph, so you can drive it around the neighborhood if you want to.
Trick cart, very clean. $6K OBO.
OH, PS... it comes with a great charger too. That alone is over $500.
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/cart_and_boat.jpg
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/cart_interior.jpg

Old Man Havasu
09-07-2006, 09:13 AM
I have an EZ-GO gas. Neighbor told me the heat was tough on the batteries, plus I wanted the range. The gas version won't get any complaints from noise. Either style they are a blast to run around in!

BadBahner
09-07-2006, 10:32 AM
I have a gas, entry level cart for sale. It is really clean and runs great. You can lift it or put big wheels on it if you want or run it as is.
For Hot Boat Members I would take 1700
Golf Cart Thread (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125438&highlight=golf)
Eric

Thunder Struck
09-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Its for sale!!

djunkie
09-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Well shit, since everyone else is spamming their cart I guess I will too. Guaranteed this is the fastest and most fun to drive cart here. :rollside: :rollside:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17413&stc=1
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17414&stc=1

Sun burners
09-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Gas!

Outnumbered
09-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Its for sale!!
Hey neighbor, how much do you want? Details???

boatnam2
09-07-2006, 03:01 PM
i have a electric cart ez go,pretty easy to put the lift and stuff on.all my buddies have gas which are probaly better but the park we stay at is strict 5mph and since we use it there 99.9% i hate the way the motor on gas cuts on and of if your going slow.

Froggystyle
09-07-2006, 03:05 PM
We go playing around with a bunch of "gassers" at Martinez and have never been either slow or out of juice for the events...
There doesn't seem to be a huge penalty for being electric, and it sure is nice being able to creep around if you want to quietly. Plus, none of the shows we go to keep us from driving the electric cart, but keep the gassers outside.

djunkie
09-07-2006, 03:08 PM
We go playing around with a bunch of "gassers" at Martinez and have never been either slow or out of juice for the events...
There doesn't seem to be a huge penalty for being electric, and it sure is nice being able to creep around if you want to quietly. Plus, none of the shows we go to keep us from driving the electric cart, but keep the gassers outside.
They all have there ups and downs. It just depends on where it is primarily gonna be used.

Froggystyle
09-07-2006, 03:12 PM
They all have there ups and downs. It just depends on where it is primarily gonna be used.
Don't get me wrong, we are selling this one because I bought a Rhino which pretty much nuts in the face of any golf cart we have ever driven around with. Plus the added utility of the Rhino is absolutely unattainable in a cart.
But, we will have $22K into this thing when we are done, and that is with comps.

HYPNAUTIC
09-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Gassers.. do you find you need to choke when starting? what do your services cost. How much gas do you hold and how far does it take you?
Electric.. How often do you have to change the batteries and $$$. Do all elec, lack the torque to play in the sand? With a full charge how long does the cart last before it needs a charge again?

JetBoatRich
09-08-2006, 03:42 AM
we bought battery cart :rolleyes: keep the noise down, etc. At times I wish we had gas :cool:
I changed the batteries, upgraded to 4ga wires and new controller, batteries last all night now. :cool: we run the XM stereo and lights no problem :cool:

Thunder Struck
09-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Hey neighbor, how much do you want? Details???
$7,000 it has a 24 horse honda.

Froggystyle
09-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Gassers.. do you find you need to choke when starting? what do your services cost. How much gas do you hold and how far does it take you?
Electric.. How often do you have to change the batteries and $$$. Do all elec, lack the torque to play in the sand? With a full charge how long does the cart last before it needs a charge again?
If you use it a lot, the batteries will go for 1,000 cycles up and down. If you leave it for long periods, it will go a lot less. Electric carts have a lot more torque than gas carts, but you have an electric motor to deal with. We have gone all weekend without charging it, but generally hook it up every night to be sure. The batteries cost me about $400 for all six, wiring another $80 or so.

Havasu1986
09-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Where do you get a Honda motor and how much. My cart only goes 20 mph. Want some more hp. How fast does a cart with a Honda motor go.

djunkie
09-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Where do you get a Honda motor and how much. My cart only goes 20 mph. Want some more hp. How fast does a cart with a Honda motor go.
What cart do you have? Do you want a complete ready to bolt together kit or do you feel like saving a few bucks and shopping around to save a few bucks? And they should run around 40mph depending on tire size. My Yamaha with a 23hp B&S will run mid 40's.

HYPNAUTIC
09-08-2006, 02:10 PM
but you have an electric motor to deal with.
maintaining a electric motor seems easier than upkeep on a gasser with carbs, oil changes, potential oil leaks etc... or am i missing something?

djunkie
09-08-2006, 02:13 PM
maintaining a electric motor seems easier than upkeep on a gasser with carbs, oil changes, potential oil leaks etc... or am i missing something?
I went through the same thing when I was cart shopping. After doing a little research I realized that unless you were restricted to electric (like some parks/campgrounds only let) a gasser is the way to go. As for maintenance, theres not much to it. As They are pretty bullet proof as long as you get one in good shape to start with. Stay away from the older 2 stroke models.

Thunder Struck
09-08-2006, 03:02 PM
You can get a Honda motor from me. They run $7,000 and come with a free golf cart!

Froggystyle
09-08-2006, 03:16 PM
At the end of the day, it is a damn golf cart. I have yet to be in mine and wish it was faster. It already steers like hell at 22 or so...
I guess the long travel kits help out a lot, but it doesn't solve your "single brake in the rear" problem.
They are spooky any faster than 25 IMHO. Mine is fine for a golf cart. If you want to pimp it through campgrounds, an electric cart is the way to go for me. No dramas, no noise etc...
If you want to go faster, get a Rhino. They are built for it with much better brakes, trannys, motors and warranties. Simple as that.

HYPNAUTIC
09-08-2006, 03:43 PM
going to look at a '97 36V tonight. guys unloading it cheap. we'll see what happens.

Waldo
09-08-2006, 03:56 PM
I got a 36v stocker ezgo...
I put on a long travel kit, two speed aftermarket motor (for torque and speed...27mph), 450 amp controller, wheels/tires, stereo, lights, under lights, little blue horn, etc...I'm into it for about $2000 and did all the work myself. Totally worth it if you are mechanically inclined. When my batteries go, I'll upgrade to 48v. Quiet, fast, off-road capable as I do it all the time across the hwy. Buy a stocker and trick the sucka out!!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/177Greased_Lightning_8.JPG

Outnumbered
09-08-2006, 04:29 PM
A little too baller for me. Thanks for the reply. Nice cart.

Outnumbered
09-08-2006, 04:32 PM
I got a 36v stocker ezgo...
I put on a long travel kit, two speed aftermarket motor (for torque and speed...27mph), 450 amp controller, wheels/tires, stereo, lights, under lights, little blue horn, etc...I'm into it for about $2000 and did all the work myself. Totally worth it if you are mechanically inclined. When my batteries go, I'll upgrade to 48v. Quiet, fast, off-road capable as I do it all the time across the hwy. Buy a stocker and trick the sucka out!!!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/177Greased_Lightning_8.JPG
Looks good. How did you get the stocker so cheap? Seems like the stockers around here are going fopr $2,500.

JetBoatRich
09-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Looks good. How did you get the stocker so cheap? Seems like the stockers around here are going fopr $2,500.
You can pick them up cheap, I actually bought mine off of e-bay for $900 :cool:
Add up the add-ons since it arrived$$$$$$ :cool:

Waldo
09-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Mine's 10 years old. Once you put all the new stuff on it, it's like new.

Havasu1986
09-09-2006, 07:33 AM
What cart do you have? Do you want a complete ready to bolt together kit or do you feel like saving a few bucks and shopping around to save a few bucks? And they should run around 40mph depending on tire size. My Yamaha with a 23hp B&S will run mid 40's.
I have a 2002 EZ GO. I would like a complete ready to go motor.

djunkie
09-09-2006, 12:59 PM
I have a 2002 EZ GO. I would like a complete ready to go motor.
Call this place up. They can set you up.
http://www.desertsportscenter.com/shop/intro.html
Or if you wanna run a Briggs and Stratton like mine you can get it from this place.
http://www.webatola.net/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Dixie&Product_Code=DSVANEZ&Category_Code=Eng+Up
The Briggs is more expensive but I do feel it is a better motor. But others will say its not so its really just up to you.

deltaAce
09-09-2006, 02:10 PM
I like the Honda powered ones.........750cc 5 speed that is! Better gear it down............and add wheelie bars! A real good muffler will help too.

prkr247
09-09-2006, 03:25 PM
What if you are wanting to pull something small....Would you suggest gas, electric or a Rhino....

djunkie
09-09-2006, 03:47 PM
What if you are wanting to pull something small....Would you suggest gas, electric or a Rhino....
Pull what. Rhino is better in all aspects. But its also a lot more expensive.

me4drvr
09-10-2006, 01:12 PM
Good to go to a home...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127108
http://www.alssurvey.com/DSCN1251.JPG