PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing A Berkely?

jeffroe
09-07-2006, 05:30 AM
pulled the motor out last weekend (it's hurt) and put the boat in winter storage, but i never thought about winterizing the pump? is there anything i need to do? i just flushed the pump oil last week is there anything else?

IMPATIENT 1
09-07-2006, 06:30 AM
pulled the motor out last weekend (it's hurt) and put the boat in winter storage, but i never thought about winterizing the pump? is there anything i need to do? i just flushed the pump oil last week is there anything else?
nope, i store mine with fresh oil and that's it.if the wearring is metal i'd spray alittle wd40 in between ring and impellor just for good measures.it gets in the low 20's here and that's about all.

jeffroe
09-07-2006, 08:17 AM
thats what i thought but it does get below -0 here and after finding water in the oil i have enough reapir cost ahead of me don't need any more. thanks jeff

The Jerk
11-15-2006, 08:27 AM
you guys have any pics of where these items go?

Bajajet
11-15-2006, 02:38 PM
I always pull the bowl off and dump the water out of that lays in the bottom. It also give me peace of mind to know that the blend of water and oil that is always in my bearing resevoir is always drained too. My seal always leaks a little. :)

77Woodbridge
11-15-2006, 07:24 PM
It goes well below -0 here so I flood the bowl with rv antifreeze (pink stuff). Back fill a gallon thru the block cooling supply line coming off the bowl ~$3.00 to be sure that there is no untreated water in the bowl. There are lots of recent threads on winterizing. My post count is low so if you look at mine you'll see what me and others in similar environments are doing. FWIW
~Victorian

Gearhead
11-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Woodbridge and Baja are offering good advise. I agree with trying to drain the bowl and pouring in some antifreeze. It is harder with a droop, but I have lowered the nose of the boat and then ran a hose in from the nozzle side, put a funnel in the hose and pour in antifreeze until it runs out the intake. Antifreeze is denser than water and will displace some of the water as well as mix with the remainder.
It does not get below 32 degrees many days of the year in North East Texas, but I have seen the water left in the pump split a bowl. So the small amount of time as preventative is well worth it to me when it comes to saving a bowl. I guess I better do that myself pretty soon :)