PDA

View Full Version : Magic 28' Deck vs Cobra 28' Python deck

INSman
09-07-2006, 07:24 AM
A buddy is looking to buy a Magic and I am trying to talk him into looking at other alternatives, possibly like the Cobra Python.
I know Cobra sometimes get's a bad rap on reputation from time to time, but I like the look of their boats and believe them to build a nice product. Any suggestions ??
He has unfortunately ruled out Conquest, E-Ticket, Howard and Dominator each for various reasons. The new Hallet 285 looks pretty nice as well

havaduner
09-07-2006, 07:34 AM
he'll also have a Choice at Cobra with a 26' available soon.
I have several friends that Have Magic's, and love them. I like some of the features of the Cobra better though.
Also, last year Cobra got rave reveiws in the Powerboat deck boat shootout. Faster too.

Jyruiz
09-07-2006, 07:39 AM
Have him also check out the E-Tickets. I checked out an Eliminator 27' Fundeck this weekend, and I really liked it, it seemed bigger than the 28'Magic when inside the boat.

Throttle
09-07-2006, 07:51 AM
I think you know what I am gonna tell him...

syke-o
09-07-2006, 07:54 AM
Ultra looks like there deckboat is pretty nice too...

OGShocker
09-07-2006, 08:00 AM
A buddie is looking to buy a Magic and I am trying to talk him into looking at other alternatives, possibly like the Cobra Python.
I know Cobra sometimes get's a bad rap on reputation from time to time, but I like the look of their boats and believe them to build a nice product. Any suggestions ??
He has unfortunately ruled out Conquest, E-Ticket, Howard and Dominator each for various reasons. The new Hallet 285 looks pretty nice as well
Blane,
From things I have heard, COBRA!
Test driver from Hot Boat tells me the bottom on the Cobra is one of the finest rides he has driven.
Contact SnakeWrench in here for details, he works across the street from Dana Performance Boats..:D

Tequila-John
09-07-2006, 08:02 AM
Both are great boats. But since i have a Cobra I have to say GET A COBRA!!!

Beer-30
I hear Eliminator is going to do THEIR OWN 30' deck this year (instead of copying Conquest).

phebus
Contact SnakeWrench in here for details, he works across the street from Dana Performance Boats..:D
Shameless plug :D

OGShocker
09-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Shameless plug :D
I can't believe you would accuse me of such a thing..:D

JB in so cal
09-07-2006, 08:59 AM
If I could change one thing on my boat, it would be to have Cobra-style hatches on the front sponsons. When you're beached, they make it alot easier to get drinks and food.

GotIlmor?
09-07-2006, 09:30 AM
This is my second Cobra, but I was going to by a Magic for my 2nd boat but let me tell you my experience. I've always liked the magic, it is the reason why I even upgraded in the first place. I went to the Corona shop(Magic) a bunch of times and finally set up a test drive. I told them I could do it Saturday morning but I do have a family function and have to leave by 1pm at the latest. No problem he said, he had a test drive at 9:30am and I would be at 10:30am. Sooooo Friday night we leave and drive 4 hours with my fiance, 10 month old son, and 6 year old daughter and arrive at the Nautical about 1:30am. I can't sleep really excited!!! Get up early to go check out shop and they I have an appointment. So after touring shop they tell me "the salesperson" (I won't say his name) is on his way back go back and he'll go pick you up on the beech at the Nautical. We do play phone tag a couple of times.... 1030, 1100, 1130, 1200 and still no test drive. Remember I have to leave at 1pm. Fiance is pissed if you can imagine, 1230, 1PM, 130, and at about 2pm here comes the white Magic. The Misses wants to turn around and walk away as soon as boat is beeched, but I said we would of wasted our time (although I think my mind was already made up). Their excuse was the first test drive the guy took them for a 3 hour test ride???????? Needless to say the longest part of my test drive was the no wake zone, it lasted about 15 minutes before we were back on beech. And we were late to the family function. Magic will always be a Beautiful boat, but go for a test drive and see which one you personally like. Yes I paid more, but I Got what I wanted.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-07-2006, 09:41 AM
If I could change one thing on my boat, it would be to have Cobra-style hatches on the front sponsons. When you're beached, they make it alot easier to get drinks and food.
Don't have a Cobra, nor will I be buying one in the future, but that is a trick idea they came up with.....

riverracerx
09-07-2006, 09:55 AM
I doubt you could go wrong with either.
Boats are tricky. You need to sit in it, feel it, touch it and drive it. It is like a relationship, and you want to have a good first impression when you meet her. One will catch your eye and then you just have to talk softly to her to get her to purr. Oh yes, I look at other boats and dream...but I still love my boat and wouldn't trade her for the world.
Did I mention she is for sale too?

It's Only Money
09-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Howard 28 Sport Deck
Quote from Powerboat Magazine, December 2005:
"The bar has been raised for deck-boat handling," said our lead test driver at the end of his evaluations of the 28 Sport Deck. "It's the best-handling deck boat I've driven, period."
'nuf said.

Jyruiz
09-07-2006, 09:58 AM
I saw the Python at the boat show, my wife and I really like it. It is going to be though when we finally decide to get a deck boat. So many nice ones out there now a days.

INSman
09-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Not a true 28' from what I heard, 26'+ a swim step and not near enough room for what my friend is looking for. A nice boat though I am sure.
Howard 28 Sport Deck
Quote from Powerboat Magazine, December 2005:
"The bar has been raised for deck-boat handling," said our lead test driver at the end of his evaluations of the 28 Sport Deck. "It's the best-handling deck boat I've driven, period."
'nuf said.

phebus
09-07-2006, 10:11 AM
He has unfortunately ruled out Conquest, E-Ticket, Howard and Dominator each for various reasons.
Boy, this guy is a hard sell.

dicudmore
09-07-2006, 12:06 PM
what power and how much $$$ is he spending?

INSman
09-07-2006, 12:53 PM
what power and how much $$$ is he spending?
He of course wants to get a smokin' boat show type deal, so looking to stay under $140k I am guessing and looking at either Ilmor 710 or Merc 700

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 12:57 PM
He of course wants to get a smokin' boat show type deal, so looking to stay under $140k I am guessing and looking at either Ilmor 710 or Merc 700
Pretty sure a 525 Powered Cobra will run the same speed as a 700 Powered Magic.
I like the Magic but if he wants to go over 80 I would be looking at the Cobra or Hallet.
Didn't the cobra with the 600 in it go for close to 140K last week?

dicudmore
09-07-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm not sure that is within the realm of possibility :idea:
Didn't they say in the thread last week that the Python with a Merc 600 was 150K some-odd?

dicudmore
09-07-2006, 12:59 PM
I like the Magic but if he wants to go over 80 I would be looking at the Cobra or Hallet.
thats just crazy talk bud :p :220v:

It's Only Money
09-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Not a true 28' from what I heard, 26'+ a swim step and not near enough room for what my friend is looking for. A nice boat though I am sure.
The Howard Sport Deck measures 28' 6" from tip to tail. Verified. If any deck boat has a swim step then it will have less running surface than the overall length. Sit inside them and compare the room. Magic lists their boat at 28' even. Cobra lists theirs as 29' 2" with a large swim step. Plus the interior has larger "pods" for driver and passenger that eats into space.
Oh...BTW...I hear lots of things that may or may not be true. What is your friend...Mormon?

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 01:04 PM
thats just crazy talk bud :p :220v:
Honestly I have never heard of a Magic Deck with over a 625 Illmor in it? :idea:
<----- I don't know crap and drive a heavy 496HO powered slug

It's Only Money
09-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Over 80 needs a Hallet or Cobra? Try 91.3 MPH with a 700 HP in the Howard - Powerboat December 2005. Check it out. Has there been a Hallet independently tested with that kind of power?

dicudmore
09-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Honestly I have never heard of a Magic Deck with over a 625 Illmor in it? :idea:
<----- I don't know crap and drive a heavy 496HO powered slug
me either...I have seen some Conquest decks with big power though...
Personally i have no desire to go that fast in a deck boat...it is only fun for the driver, for everybody else it SUCKS.

dicudmore
09-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Over 80 needs a Hallet or Cobra? Try 91.3 MPH with a 700 HP in the Howard - Powerboat December 2005. Check it out. Has there been a Hallet independently tested with that kind of power?
I don't think there is any argument that the new Howard sport deck is an awesome choice...I do think he stated though that this friend had already ruled that one out :220v:

OutCole'd
09-07-2006, 01:10 PM
me either...I have seen some Conquest decks with big power though...
Personally i have no desire to go that fast in a deck boat...it is only fun for the driver, for everybody else it SUCKS.
It's not too bad for the passenger, but I agree, anywhere else on a deck boat does suck at speed.

OutCole'd
09-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Boy, this guy is a hard sell.
I agree, rules out just about everyone I would recommend.

It's Only Money
09-07-2006, 01:12 PM
I don't think there is any argument that the new Howard sport deck is an awesome choice...I do think he stated though that this friend had already ruled that one out :220v:
Could be but that was many posts from his original one where INSman stated "he was trying to convince his firend to consider others". Then the other comments opened the topic. I don't particularly care what his friend buys but let's stick to facts - not "I heard" or it takes a Hallet/Cobra to handle big power. Not true.

dicudmore
09-07-2006, 01:12 PM
I agree, rules out just about everyone I would recommend.
read his power and price point then its definitely over...

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 01:14 PM
I think the Howard is Gorgeous and if it wasn't so pricey would be at the top of my list.(Starting at 100K with a HO is too much imho)
also we are not talking howards they were ruled out with the conquest ane E Ticket a long time ago.

It's Only Money
09-07-2006, 01:16 PM
I think the Howard is Gorgeous and if it wasn't so pricey would be at the top of my list.(Starting at 100K with a HO is too much imho)
also we are not talking howards they were ruled out with the conquest ane E Ticket a long time ago.
No offense but the quality of the layup and workmanship is second to none on the Howard. You usually get what you pay for. Some buy Hyundais and some buy Rollers. And then there's the rest in the middle. That's what makes it so interesting - something for every budget.

dicudmore
09-07-2006, 01:19 PM
No offense but the quality of the layup and workmanship is second to none on the Howard. You usually get what you pay for. Some buy Hyundais and some buy Rollers. And then there's the rest in the middle. That's what makes it so interesting - something for every budget.
agreed, great boat :cool:

MR HARLEY
09-07-2006, 01:19 PM
No offense but the quality of the layup and workmanship is second to none on the Howard.
2nd to none to who? :)
agreed
Not agreed Dan. :crossx:

OutCole'd
09-07-2006, 01:21 PM
read his power and price point then its definitely over...
I would like a brand new full spec 911 4S for under 50k, can anyone help me??

dicudmore
09-07-2006, 01:22 PM
smart-azz :p

dicudmore
09-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Blane, after seeing that he wants a 700, and a boat to put it in, under 140K I have to ask if he has looked at Cheetah yet? :p

It's Only Money
09-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Those that have professionally reviewed it. Do you have a nomination for a finer handling or finer bulit deck boat?

It's Only Money
09-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Blane, after seeing that he wants a 700, and a boat to put it in, under 140K I have to ask if he has looked at Cheetah yet? :p
Cheatah makes a deck boat? :rolleyes:

OutCole'd
09-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Those that have professionally reviewed it. Do you have a nomination for a finer handling or finer bulit deck boat?
Define Professionally reviewed.

It's Only Money
09-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Define Professionally reviewd.
Boats taken to reviewers and writers working for independent organizations or publications. Not armchair folks like us poor nobodies.

OutCole'd
09-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Boats taken to reviewers and writers working for independent organizations or publications. Not armchair folks like us poor nobodies.
I guess I have never considered HB Magazine too independent, that's all.

MR HARLEY
09-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Sure how about the "Deckboat of the Year", the E-ticket. Im sure they did'nt win that award for nothing. :rolleyes: :D
Next IMHO would be the Trident.
If your feeling real friskey, I would personally step-up to the DCB 30' Sportdeck before any. :)

dicudmore
09-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Cheatah makes a deck boat? :rolleyes:
:crossx: :rollside:

Parker Dreamin
09-07-2006, 01:33 PM
We have a cobra and I have nothing bad to say about it.

It's Only Money
09-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Sure how about the "Deckboat of the Year", the E-ticket. Im sure they did'nt win that award for nothing. :rolleyes: :D
Next IMHO would be the Trident.
If your feeling real friskey, I would personally step-up to the DCB 30' Sportdeck before any. :)
In what category was the E-ticket placed the year before? Could it be that the year before it was a luxury catamaran? Is an E-ticket a cat or a deck boat? Does it have a rear exit/entry? No. Trident? Let them make and sell a few more then get reviewed and let's see how they fare...Best of luck to them.

It's Only Money
09-07-2006, 01:35 PM
I guess I have never considered HB Magazine too independent, that's all.
Jim Wilkes' opinion doesn't count?

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Once again you are debating a boat that is not being considered.You obviously love Howard and I can understand that but you are wasting your breath looking to sway someone to something they don't want.
I personaly like the E-Ticket but understand he dosen't want one and keep my E-Ticket opinions to my self.

It's Only Money
09-07-2006, 01:36 PM
We have a cobra and I have nothing bad to say about it.
How 'bout something good to say about it? Are you happy with it?

INSman
09-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Didn't they say in the thread last week that the Python with a Merc 600 was 150K some-odd?
That has to be FULL retail sticker and not realistic when it comes time to put the pen to the paper. :idea:

It's Only Money
09-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Once again you are debating a boat that is not being considered.You obviously love Howard and I can understand that but you are wasting your breath looking to sway someone to something they don't want.
I personaly like the E-Ticket but understand he dosen't want one and keep my E-Ticket opinions to my self.
Debating the other people's opinion. INS's friend will buy whatever he's comfortable with and our opinions probably matter little with him.

MR HARLEY
09-07-2006, 01:39 PM
In what category was the E-ticket placed the year before? Could it be that the year before it was a luxury catamaran? Is an E-ticket a cat or a deck boat? Does it have a rear exit/entry? No. Trident? Let them make and sell a few more then get reviewed and let's see how they fare...Best of luck to them.
Don't be mad cuz Howard did'nt win the award. :)

Havasu_Dreamin
09-07-2006, 01:39 PM
DCB makes, and rigs a great boat, however I'd put Howard right up there with them.
Based on past threads here over the last few years, a pattern emerges when trying to 'define' who fits where in the hierarchy of the industry. DCB, Hallett, Howard and Schiada are almost always listed in the 'top-tier' group. One could even argue that Schiada is quite possibly in a league of their own.....

It's Only Money
09-07-2006, 01:42 PM
That has to be FULL retail sticker and not realistic when it comes time to put the pen to the paper. :idea:
You know....it's funny when the deal comes right down to it how the builders complete it...some drop their shorts, some negotiate and some stick to their guns. I have heard some builders start out high - like DCB and negotiate the hell out of it. Others like the Essex folks (who as far as I know don't build a deck boat) don't deal at all. It has always amazed me what it takes to get that signature on the contract. In my opinion those that have to deal a lot off the list price may be less of a boat simple because of the inflated price tag is not reflective of their actual costs. With a lot of labor and quality materials and a fair market up for profit, there shouldn't be a lot of room to deal.
Interesting.

MR HARLEY
09-07-2006, 01:43 PM
DCB makes, and rigs a great boat, however I'd put Howard right up there with them.
Based on past threads here over the last few years, a pattern emerges when trying to 'define' who fits where in the hierarchy of the industry. DCB, Hallett, Howard and Schiada are almost always listed in the 'top-tier' group. One could even argue that Schiada is quite possibly in a league of their own.....
I knew I would get a response out of you. IMHO(which means nothing) what I saw at the boat show first hand, I would say they are not up there just yet, again just my opinion. BTW how ya been? :D

It's Only Money
09-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Don't be mad cuz Howard did'nt win the award. :)
I don't really care at all. It just seems funny they call it a cat in one breath and then a deck boat in another....BTW...waht constitutes a "deck boat" anyway? Some have side entries and some don't. Almost all have rear entries (unless they call themselves "cats") and some don't. If you like the E-ticket some much go buy one and be happy.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Others like the Essex folks (who as far as I know don't build a deck boat) don't deal at all.
True, Essex does not deal and does not currently offer a deckboat.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-07-2006, 01:47 PM
I knew I would get a response out of you. IMHO(which means nothing) what I saw at the boat show first hand, I would say they are not up there just yet, again just my opinion. BTW how ya been? :D
I'm good. How about you? How is the boat running?
I'm with you, my opinion really does not mean anything either, as they say, everyone has one. :rollside: :p LMAO

It's Only Money
09-07-2006, 01:48 PM
DCB has nothing on a Howard in quality of build. Nothing. I've seen enough of both to be very, very sure of that. Side by side comparisons.

It's Only Money
09-07-2006, 01:49 PM
True, Essex does not deal and does not currently offer a deckboat.
I guess they are comfortable with their quality and value for the dollars that they charge and don't need to deal - dontcha think?

MR HARLEY
09-07-2006, 01:51 PM
If you like the E-ticket some much go buy one and be happy.
Because I'm already happy with my DCB. :crossx:

MR HARLEY
09-07-2006, 01:52 PM
DCB has nothing on a Howard in quality of build.
Ok :rolleyes:

dicudmore
09-07-2006, 01:53 PM
thats a fact...can't go to Havasu without seeing that DCB on the water :cool:

Havasu_Dreamin
09-07-2006, 01:54 PM
I guess they are comfortable with their quality and value for the dollars that they charge and don't need to deal - dontcha think?
That and other reasons that were explained to us when we bought our Essex's.....

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Liar!!;)
We both know you were talking about that flat deck skater with #6's and twin 1080's:D
Wonder if they will make it a walk through for ya? :p

Havasu_Dreamin
09-07-2006, 01:55 PM
thats a fact...can't go to Havasu without seeing that DCB on the water :cool:
I do believe that is true, every weekend I have been out there Harley has been cruising his 29.....

dicudmore
09-07-2006, 01:56 PM
DCB has nothing on a Howard in quality of build. Nothing. I've seen enough of both to be very, very sure of that. Side by side comparisons.
now we disagree...from what I've seen both of their products are top notch. Tooling, rigging, performance, all of it...

Havasu_Dreamin
09-07-2006, 01:56 PM
We both know you were talking about that flat deck skater with #6's and twin 1080's:D
Well, duh, we know that we ALL want that! :cool: Need to buy more lotto tickets I guess.....:idea:

MR HARLEY
09-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Wonder if they will make it a walk through for ya? :p
You bastard. :p
I do believe that is true, every weekend I have been out there Harley has been cruising his 29.....
And you didn stop by for a cold one? :)

Havasu_Dreamin
09-07-2006, 02:00 PM
And you didn stop by for a cold one? :)
I kid you not, every time I saw you, we were passing in opposite directions.....

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 02:01 PM
You bastard. :p
Do it!!!! :crossx: :rollside: :idea:

MR HARLEY
09-07-2006, 02:03 PM
I kid you not, every time I saw you, we were passing in opposite directions.....
Next time I'll have to stop then. :)

riverroyal
09-07-2006, 03:27 PM
This is my second Cobra, but I was going to by a Magic for my 2nd boat but let me tell you my experience. I've always liked the magic, it is the reason why I even upgraded in the first place. I went to the Corona shop(Magic) a bunch of times and finally set up a test drive. I told them I could do it Saturday morning but I do have a family function and have to leave by 1pm at the latest. No problem he said, he had a test drive at 9:30am and I would be at 10:30am. Sooooo Friday night we leave and drive 4 hours with my fiance, 10 month old son, and 6 year old daughter and arrive at the Nautical about 1:30am. I can't sleep really excited!!! Get up early to go check out shop and they I have an appointment. So after touring shop they tell me "the salesperson" (I won't say his name) is on his way back go back and he'll go pick you up on the beech at the Nautical. We do play phone tag a couple of times.... 1030, 1100, 1130, 1200 and still no test drive. Remember I have to leave at 1pm. Fiance is pissed if you can imagine, 1230, 1PM, 130, and at about 2pm here comes the white Magic. The Misses wants to turn around and walk away as soon as boat is beeched, but I said we would of wasted our time (although I think my mind was already made up). Their excuse was the first test drive the guy took them for a 3 hour test ride???????? Needless to say the longest part of my test drive was the no wake zone, it lasted about 15 minutes before we were back on beech. And we were late to the family function. Magic will always be a Beautiful boat, but go for a test drive and see which one you personally like. Yes I paid more, but I Got what I wanted.
when we bought ours,we walked in,no appointment,looked around,they said lets go,within 20 minutes we were in the water.So you just never know.Whats a python cost now?

phebus
09-07-2006, 03:44 PM
when we bought ours,we walked in,no appointment,looked around,they said lets go,within 20 minutes we were in the water.So you just never know.Whats a python cost now?
Was that on a Saturday between about 10:00-1:30?
You bastard, you made him late to his commitment :mad:

One Particular Harbor
09-07-2006, 03:48 PM
PowerBoat tested the 285 Hallet with a Teague Custom Marine 800 EFI in August of 2005. Top speed...101.8 mph. I think that qualifies as "independently tested." :)
Not debating that Howard builds a very nice boat and it would be one of my top picks in the deckboat category, but I have never heard anyone question the build on a Hallett, or a Hallett's ability to handle power or speed. The 285's design may not be for everyone, but I don't think you can argue it's a quality product.
OPH

Phat Matt
09-07-2006, 06:15 PM
I had no idea I really didn't have a deck boat. :)
You learn something new everyday. :D

SnakeWrench
09-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Um, 91.6, merc 600 280 python

Kilrtoy
09-07-2006, 07:11 PM
With that said, the starting price in MY BOOK is $127,500 and is still gonna come down....

Throttle
09-07-2006, 07:13 PM
How 'bout something good to say about it? Are you happy with it?
couldn't be more happy, driving my second one and am seriously preparing myself for the 3rd to come next spring...(?) :idea:

SnakeWrench
09-07-2006, 07:20 PM
couldn't be more happy, driving my second one and am seriously preparing myself for the 3rd to come next spring...(?) :idea:
And I'm sorry T, How fast did we get with your stock 260 Razor with a 496.h.o. Um wasn't it something like 76.3 with full tanks, three people and into a head wind at Elsinore?? Just trying to remember.

mbrown2
09-07-2006, 07:41 PM
I think as far as looks go the Magic still is the best looking out there....subjective, but my .02
Don't think your bud is making a bad decision......I think out of all the decks out there, I think Howard is going to have the best build quality and its look is not that bad......DCB does not make one that I have seen yet; only been in advertisements, and the Trident has not been out long enough to judge.

phebus
09-07-2006, 07:58 PM
After touring the Trident facility, their build quality is first rate. Definately a great attention to detail and very well thought out.

mbrown2
09-07-2006, 08:07 PM
After touring the Trident facility, their build quality is first rate. Definately a great attention to detail and very well thought out.
I agree Wes has the makings of the perfect deckboat; heck, I have ridden and seen the Trident up close...and have a lot of praise for it. However, its history is one boat that the owner of the company is driving around and its the 1st one tweaked to perfection......let me hear from a couple more owners to make up my mind.....for the price he is blowing 2nd and 3rd out, it is a god dam bargain..

phebus
09-07-2006, 08:14 PM
I agree Wes has the makings of the perfect deckboat; heck, I have ridden and seen the Trident up close...and have a lot of praise for it. However, its history is one boat that the owner of the company is driving around and its the 1st one tweaked to perfection......let me hear from a couple more owners to make up my mind.....for the price he is blowing 2nd and 3rd out, it is a god dam bargain..
If I wouldn't have been in the process of moving, and needing all my available money, I would be driving #2, or #3. I have full confidence that any tweaking or issues would be taken care of by Wes, and even though there might be some growing pains with a new design, at the price he sold those two boats for, it would have made it well worth the money.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-07-2006, 08:17 PM
at the price he sold those two boats for, it would have made it well worth the money.
The price for #2 & 3 was/is incredible.

INSman
09-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Um, 91.6, merc 600 280 python
What are you thinking with a new Ilmor 710 ?? :idea: :D

SnakeWrench
09-07-2006, 09:10 PM
What are you thinking with a new Ilmor 710 ?? :idea: :D
Calculated guess should be close to 100. But we will see. 625 runs about 3 miles an hour faster than the 600 Merc, so the math says we should be close to triples.

havaduner
09-08-2006, 06:16 AM
Calculated guess should be close to 100. But we will see. 625 runs about 3 miles an hour faster than the 600 Merc, so the math says we should be close to triples.
Ya know all this talk about top end speed in a deck boat is ridiculous! We all know how expensive it is to insure a cat with speeds in triple digits, the ins. company's have a completely stupid way of rating top end speeds, as soon as thier is some FU*# head with a 100 mph deck, boat, with more money than brains (havent seen that guy on the lake before have we!) and stuffs his high HP deck boat, loaded with people, takes half of them out, we'll we see how quickly ALL our insurance goes up!

INSman
09-08-2006, 06:39 AM
Ya know all this talk about top end speed in a deck boat is ridiculous! We all know how expensive it is to insure a cat with speeds in triple digits, the ins. company's have a completely stupid way of rating top end speeds, as soon as thier is some FU*# head with a 100 mph deck, boat, with more money than brains (havent seen that guy on the lake before have we!) and stuffs his high HP deck boat, loaded with people, takes half of them out, we'll we see how quickly ALL our insurance goes up!
Certainly have a point there as I am in the insurance business. I could not imagine taking on all the wind either that those 100 mph speeds would create coming at you. 85 starts getting pretty uncomfortable for me, canopies would help, but no canopies on the Python that I recall.

INSman
09-08-2006, 06:40 AM
What drive is planned to run with the new Ilmor 710 ?

havaduner
09-08-2006, 07:21 AM
What drive is planned to run with the new Ilmor 710 ?
I would assume Teague XR, or maybe IMCO.

havaduner
09-08-2006, 07:23 AM
Certainly have a point there as I am in the insurance business. I could not imagine taking on all the wind either that those 100 mph speeds would create coming at you. 85 starts getting pretty uncomfortable for me, canopies would help, but no canopies on the Python that I recall.
the "pods" on the Python in front of the driver/passenger help deflect for those two people. Everyone else, well, your on your own. My fear is some DumbA$$ drunk guy with a 90 mph+ boat load of kids is gonna hurt someone.

Froggystyle
09-08-2006, 07:45 AM
The price for #2 & 3 was/is incredible.
They both moved in less than a week! The new price is still incredible though.
We are working on a stern drive version right now that should be just what a lot of folks are looking for.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-08-2006, 08:25 AM
That's awesome for you Wes! Hopefully you sell out every years production.
We are working on a stern drive version right now that should be just what a lot of folks are looking for.
I bet that leads to more sales.

Phat Matt
09-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Merc powered?
I missed you on Monday. I stopped by but you weren't in the moho.

Froggystyle
09-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Merc powered?
I missed you on Monday. I stopped by but you weren't in the moho.
Unfortunately, that will be an option. ;)
My "standard" stern package will likely be a Marine Assault fuel injected 572 or something just shy of 600hp with a great drive.
I have too many big lake boaters interested in the boat with standard power/drive to ignore.
I like the jets a lot better though.
I do know this... matchups with 496 power are going to be like a Quizno's commercial. :D

INSman
09-08-2006, 09:42 AM
PowerBoat tested the 285 Hallet with a Teague Custom Marine 800 EFI in August of 2005. Top speed...101.8 mph. I think that qualifies as "independently tested." :)
Not debating that Howard builds a very nice boat and it would be one of my top picks in the deckboat category, but I have never heard anyone question the build on a Hallett, or a Hallett's ability to handle power or speed. The 285's design may not be for everyone, but I don't think you can argue it's a quality product.
OPH
I like the Hallet from what I have seen and that is a nice number they put up :cool:

Kilrtoy
09-08-2006, 09:55 AM
I think that is a little on the tall side snake... The venom is only running 80 with a 625, or atleast the owner of the boat claims that it is 80...

SnakeWrench
09-08-2006, 10:07 AM
I think that is a little on the tall side snake... The venom is only running 80 with a 625, or atleast the owner of the boat claims that it is 80...
Ok, the guy that has the boatshow venom bought it with a 496ho with a 496 HO X demension. With the 625, the vemon would have been set up with the x much higher, so, that doesn't count. :yuk: Nice try though. lol
But seriously, I know you wish it only ran 80, but you know better. Havaduners ran 107 with a 720 and his new one ran 113 and change with an 800, so do you really think it will only run 80 with 625? come on Kilr, you are smarter than that.

SnakeWrench
09-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Well, I sold the last boat when a thread about it got to the 5th page, Maybe I'll sell a Venom or another Python. Thanks guys for doing such a good job of promoting Cobra.

dicudmore
09-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Ok, the guy that has the boatshow venom bought it with a 496ho with a 496 HO X demension. With the 625, the vemon would have been set up with the x much higher, so, that doesn't count. :yuk: Nice try though. lol
But seriously, I know you wish it only ran 80, but you know better. Havaduners ran 107 with a 720 and his new one ran 113 and change with an 800, so do you really think it will only run 80 with 625? come on Kilr, you are smarter than that.
I know Matt's boat runs real good...
Have any of them with canopies put up the advertised # yet? Your service guy in Havasu told me no, that something is different due to the canopies and as of yet it is not figured out.

Kilrtoy
09-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Is there is a different X dim for different motors....
I think he is still prop testing, albeit he said 80 , Not me...
it does look good and sound good running up and down the river last weekend

SnakeWrench
09-08-2006, 10:27 AM
I know Matt's boat runs real good...
Have any of them with canopies put up the advertised # yet? Your service guy in Havasu told me no, that something is different due to the canopies and as of yet it is not figured out.
Yes

Phat Matt
09-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Yes. Mine didn't work so well with the shorter sportmaster lowers on it. We thought it would pick up some speed but it had trouble getting out of the hole. Now with the 525's it works just fine.

SnakeWrench
09-08-2006, 10:29 AM
I think he is still prop testing, albeit he said 80 , Not me...
it does look good and sound good running up and down the river last weekend
Yes there are different X's for different HP. Keep in mind, his has a standard bravo drive still and at the standard X. I understand he said it, but you implied,even though you know better, that it would only run 80. Stop stirrin Kirl. lol

dicudmore
09-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Well, I sold the last boat when a thread about it got to the 5th page, Maybe I'll sell a Venom or another Python. Thanks guys for doing such a good job of promoting Cobra.
hey, whatever it takes to sell a boat :cool:

GBarron97
09-08-2006, 10:39 AM
I guess cross promotion really does work.

SnakeWrench
09-08-2006, 10:40 AM
LOL Yup, it did last time. :rollside:

Kilrtoy
09-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Yes there are different X's for different HP. Keep in mind, his has a standard bravo drive still and at the standard X. I understand he said it, but you implied,even though you know better, that it would only run 80. Stop stirrin Kirl. lol
Im not a motorhead and im not stirring. But it seems not matter what boat you pick, they all run the same numbers or close to each other with the same package....
now how they ride is a whole other thing...

SnakeWrench
09-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Im not a motorhead and im not stirring. But it seems not matter what boat you pick, they all run the same numbers or close to each other with the same package....
now how they ride is a whole other thing...
True dat, true dat.

Throttle
09-08-2006, 03:22 PM
mines gonna b for sale... ??? :idea:

DCBDaytona
09-08-2006, 03:40 PM
For the price, he should get the Magic. IMHO, it's far superior to the E-Ticket, Cobra, etc....Another choice for me would be the Lavey 28 Prowler.

Jyruiz
09-08-2006, 03:47 PM
For the price, he should get the Magic. IMHO, it's far superior to the E-Ticket, Cobra, etc....Another choice for me would be the Lavey 28 Prowler.
Wow!

Phat Matt
09-08-2006, 04:22 PM
I should probably sell my POS right now while I can. :)

GBarron97
09-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Interesting.

BOBALOO
09-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Dont listen to this guy, he is probably drunk again. :crossx: The last time he got this wasted he bought a DCB:D
All the boats your friend is interested it will be just fine. Have him take his WIFE with him when he narrows it down to 2 boats and let her make the final decision. Women will be able to pick out the little things about a boat that can make or break the deal in terms of long term happiness in a purchase.
The most important feature about a vehicle is " do the seats lean ALL the way back ? " to my better half:D

al cole'holic
09-08-2006, 05:08 PM
..any pics of the Cobra dealio...?? :)

DCBDaytona
09-08-2006, 05:32 PM
No. As I said, it's just my opinion. But I sure do like the 30 ft. Magic with twins.

MR HARLEY
09-08-2006, 05:32 PM
:eek:
Are you drunk again? :D

DCBDaytona
09-08-2006, 05:34 PM
:eek:
Are you drunk again? :D
HeHe. I should've added the F-29 deckboat! :p

MR HARLEY
09-08-2006, 05:37 PM
HeHe. I should've added the F-29 deckboat! :p
:D :)

dirtmover
09-08-2006, 05:45 PM
whats wrong with the CONQUEST ihave one and loveit and the customer service is great too. :rollside:

Jyruiz
09-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Too late Matt, but the nice guy that I am :D, I will take it off your hands for half of what a Magic cost with a single 496HO. :)

Wmc
09-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Mine still runs. And it was under 100k :yuk: