PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

SJP12
09-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Hello, I have been reading ***boat.com for about a year and finally joined. I don't own a boat but I like reading the threads and looking at the cool boats you all have.
Anyway, my question is this.
I have a 2001 S-10 ext cab 4.3 V6 auto with 75,000 miles, its getting bad gas mileage. My commute to work daily is about 9 miles round trip all city driving and I have been lucky to get 200 miles out of the tank, when I fill up I get about 13 gallons in the tank (that with topping off 1 extra gallon) So driving 200 miles in the city with it being hot lately running the AC I have been getting around 15.38 mpg. I have cleaned my K&N, always run 76 gas, tires are at the right PSI, I have a light foot and my truck is always maintain with tune ups.
Any Idea's?

sigepmock
09-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Hello, I have been reading ***boat.com for about a year and finally joined. I don't own a boat but I like reading the threads and looking at the cool boats you all have.
Anyway, my question is this.
I have a 2001 S-10 ext cab 4.3 V6 auto with 75,000 miles, its getting bad gas mileage. My commute to work daily is about 9 miles round trip all city driving and I have been lucky to get 200 miles out of the tank, when I fill up I get about 13 gallons in the tank (that with topping off 1 extra gallon) So driving 200 miles in the city with it being hot lately running the AC I have been getting around 15.38 mpg. I have cleaned my K&N, always run 76 gas, tires are at the right PSI, I have a light foot and my truck is always maintain with tune ups.
Any Idea's?
Heat and A/C will kill your MPG. The hot air is less dense so you get less power and the A/C simply takes power to run the compressor so there goes more MPG. Might want to check your O2 sensors in the exhaust but I doubt they'd hurt you MPG that bad all of the sudden and mabye clean your MAS with some spray contact cleaner. Other than that you can always do the plugs and plug wires. I run the MSD 8mm plug wires on the wifes Tahoe and I saw an imporvement in milage.
Good luck,
Chris

SJP12
09-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Heat and A/C will kill your MPG. The hot air is less dense so you get less power and the A/C simply takes power to run the compressor so there goes more MPG. Might want to check your O2 sensors in the exhaust but I doubt they'd hurt you MPG that bad all of the sudden and mabye clean your MAS with some spray contact cleaner. Other than that you can always do the plugs and plug wires. I run the MSD 8mm plug wires on the wifes Tahoe and I saw an imporvement in milage.
Good luck,
Chris
Thanks for the information,
I filled it up Saturday did the math and I'm getting about 14.5mpg now, I did the plugs at about 65k, I will check the other stuff also. I'm having my wife drive it this week to see if its me (right foot) and not the truck.
Thanks!

SJP12
10-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the information,
I filled it up Saturday did the math and I'm getting about 14.5mpg now, I did the plugs at about 65k, I will check the other stuff also. I'm having my wife drive it this week to see if its me (right foot) and not the truck.
Thanks!
So it turns out to be just the city driving, We took a trip up to Santa Barbra this past weekend and driving between 65-70mph up and back I was able to get 22.5mpg. -in case anybody cared ;)

HYPNAUTIC
10-03-2006, 09:49 PM
we all care.. its just the other 125 viewers didn't want to be post whores :crossx:

SJP12
10-04-2006, 11:06 AM
we all care.. its just the other 125 viewers didn't want to be post whores :crossx:
Thats what I was thinking ;)