PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Race Olds 455 Engine

southwind racer
09-07-2006, 11:34 AM
I just had a 455 Olds built for my 18Â’ Southwind. Unfortunately when I took the boat to the lake to run it I found a leak in my hull on the launch. So the engine literally is brand new and not even broken in yet. The problem is now IÂ’m looking into a new hull and boats come with engines and either way they exceed what I can afford. ItÂ’s a crummy situation to be in so I am looking into options and maybe someone needs a new engine. I put all my money into this engine thinking I would have a boat to drive it in.
It was built professionally by Mondello Performance, a well known engine builder that specializes in race 455 engines. I only installed the carburetor—everything else was built by them.
So IÂ’m looking to sell a brand new, never run in the water Olds 455 with race ignition setup.
• This motor is said by Mondello to product 500+ horsepower on 91 pump gas.
• Oil issues that were a problem with the 455 are fixed with oil restrictors, new heads that flow oil out of them better and a 10 quart oil pan that fits on any jetboat.
• Bottom end issues that the motor is rumored to have is fixed by a main support kit that Mondello installed.
• EVERYTHING in the motor is balanced and performance
• The only parts that are not new in the engine are the crank and engine block. EVERYTHING else is new. The crank was machined and balanced with the oil galleys drilled with tear drops. The block was blue printed which includes a little more size in the cylinders that were machined.
Here is exactly what is in the motor:
• New Edelbrock 60519 aluminum heads—cryogenically frozen and port matched to manifold. Dissipates heat well enough to run 10:1 compression on 91 octane
• New TRW 2060 Pistons H-Beam rods
• New 800 CFM Edelbrock carb, polished w/ electronic choke
• New 10 quart oiling system
o Hi flow oil pump
o New pickup tubs
o Oil restrictors in mains
• New 2730 torquer intake manifold
• Polished Hardin Marine Aluminum Valve Covers
• Other boat aluminum parts that are polished – flexplate cover, water in and outs.
• New H/D Hydraulic race lifters
• Reworked and balanced crank that has the oil galleys drilled with tear drops
• New Double roller timing chain
• New Race cam bearings
• New Big block main bearings
• New Rod bearings
• New harmonic balancer
• New Aluminum spacer for new flexplate
• New Engine block has been machined and blue printed
• New Seal power piston rings
• New Roller Rocker pushrod kit
• New Mondello gaskets all around
• New mounting plate for Morse cables
• New MSD MARINE race ignition with rev limiter (this thing can be submerged in water and still work)
• New MSD MARINE distributor w/ electronic points (once again, this is Marine so its designed to get wet)
• New Hi flow fuel pump
• New OEM starter and solenoid
• New Main support package installed by Mondello.
• New bolts and main bolts install all the way around
• 1 year old alternator
I also have a tow hook for the engine, brand new.
I am asking $8995 for the engine.
If I remember anything else I put on this I will be sure to post.

v-drive
09-07-2006, 12:02 PM
I am truly sorry my friend . I am an olds lover but if I was going to spend that kind of money I would definately go chevy..v-drive

southwind racer
09-07-2006, 12:56 PM
I am truly sorry my friend . I am an olds lover but if I was going to spend that kind of money I would definately go chevy..v-drive
Well it was perfect for my 73 Southwind...I had all of the mounting hardware, OT's, valve covers, it fit on the rails good and it was all aligned to the pump. I thought I could get it done quick and get done in time for my Shasta trip. Would have worked good if I the boat wasn't cracked to all hell.

v-drive
09-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Well it was perfect for my 73 Southwind...I had all of the mounting hardware, OT's, valve covers, it fit on the rails good and it was all aligned to the pump. I thought I could get it done quick and get done in time for my Shasta trip. Would have worked good if I the boat wasn't cracked to all hell.
Yeah, i've been following your posts. Well you do know the true definition of boat right? If I were you I would just hang in there because a boat will pop up and you will kick yourself if you let the engine go. how much can you spend on a hull? . v-drive

southwind racer
09-07-2006, 11:44 PM
I was hoping to spend 5500-6000 for a hull originally. I'm not sure I may be accurate with that figure. If its used maybe I can get what I want for around there without an engine. If its new I was thinking $6500 for just the hull..although I'm going to have so many unthought of costs in there that it will add up.
I was looking through the boats and I really like the jetboats that are 19' or 18', with an open bow. I could even deal with a 20'. I don't want that much more boat, I just want to utilize more space in the front. In the classifieds they have a 1995 kachina saber jet boat. I really like the design even though the guy has alot of engine in it. Mouzers new ultra is nice too with exception to the colors :yuk: ... LOL, he's going to sell that thing in another week.

southwind racer
09-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Any offers?

DelawareDave
09-09-2006, 04:32 PM
I would hang in there. I am always looking, and it seems 98% of the decent hulls I see are out your way. There are plenty for sale with or with out power. Since you already have everything for an Olds, just keep shopping. You will find something.