PDA

View Full Version : Any Electricians in the house?

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 11:52 AM
I am about to start the remodel of my backyard and need to run wire for the jacuzzi and Barbeque Island before the concrete is poured..
I know enough to get me in trouble but have no idea how to tap into the house correctly for both 110 and 220.
Anybody intresed in helping me plan something out and wiring up a box?
I will run/barry the gret tube off the box and pull the wire.
Help a brother out!!!:D

Sleek-Jet
09-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Barry is going to get awfull tired if you run him alot.. :D
There's a couple ways you can go about it, depending on how big your service is, how many circuits you need, and how far it is from the box to the back yard.

MrsSigEpMock
09-07-2006, 11:59 AM
I am about to start the remodel of my backyard and need to run wire for the jacuzzi and Barbeque Island before the concrete is poured..
I know enough to get me in trouble but have no idea how to tap into the house correctly for both 110 and 220.
Chris and I ran ours and Puggits for our Spas. He's pretty handy to keep around. All I know is buy 8 gauge, red/blk/wht are good colors! wear tennis shoes and keep the animals clear from flying sparks and chunks of pliers. How do I know....? hmmmmm. :220v:

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Barry is going to get awfull tired if you run him alot.. :D
There's a couple ways you can go about it, depending on how big your service is, how many circuits you need, and how far it is from the box to the back yard.
I is not Smart!! :crossx:
My box is on the front side of the house and the areas I need to get power too are easily 100+ feet away.
I think there is a small box in the back yard for the AC unit? could I swap out that box for a bigger one?

Mrs. Bordsmnj
09-07-2006, 12:17 PM
I am married to an electrician! :D

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Chris and I ran ours and Puggits for our Spas. He's pretty handy to keep around. All I know is buy 8 gauge, red/blk/wht are good colors! wear tennis shoes and keep the animals clear from flying sparks and chunks of pliers. How do I know....? hmmmmm. :220v:
Sweet!!!
I will pencil you in for next weekend. :p
Don't forget the pretty wires and a cute pair of tennys!!! :p

Sleek-Jet
09-07-2006, 12:30 PM
My box is on the front side of the house and the areas I need to get power too are easily 100+ feet away.
I think there is a small box in the back yard for the AC unit? could I swap out that box for a bigger one?
Depends on how big the wire is that's running to the AC box... Somebody will have to come out and look at it I'm sure...

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 12:30 PM
I am married to an electrician! :D
Sounds like we need to have a barbeque at my house;)
Jason and I can drink Iced Tea and work while you and Jen get hammered:D

Mrs. Bordsmnj
09-07-2006, 12:33 PM
I LOVE that plan!!! :rollside:

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 12:37 PM
I LOVE that plan!!! :rollside:
Have him read the thread later and we can figure something out.
Shoot we can turn it in to an Electrifying party :crossx:

YeLLowBoaT
09-07-2006, 12:37 PM
If you buy the plane tickets and pick me up at the airport I'll do it for you... :) With out know whats there now i can't really help. I also don't know your local codes... if you really want to do it yourself, go buy a book. Wiring is really not that hard.
Step one:
Turn off main power to the house
Step two:
make sure main power is off to the house, if not see step one.
If you do not know how to turn of the main power to the house, see step 2a
step 2 a:
Call a electrcian, then post on hot boat that your dummy that does not know how to turn off the main power....

riverbound
09-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Iced tea???? you cheap F*cker. if you want Jason to come out you are gonna need to get him some of these.
http://www.xtz.com/images/prodimages/xd_main.jpg

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 12:41 PM
If you buy the plane tickets and pick me up at the airport I'll do it for you... :) With out know whats there now i can't really help. I also don't know your local codes... if you really want to do it yourself, go buy a book. Wiring is really not that hard.
Step one:
Turn off main power to the house
Step two:
make sure main power is off to the house, if not see step one.
If you do not know how to turn of the main power to the house, see step 2a
step 2 a:
Call a electrcian, then post on hot boat that your dummy that does not know how to turn off the main power....
I have wires lights,switches and sockets but I don't know jack about adding a new box nor do I want to mess with 200v :220v: .
I always though step one was not to touch the two wires together? I have messed up on that step with the power on more than once;)

Mrs. Bordsmnj
09-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Have him read the thread later and we can figure something out.
Shoot we can turn it in to an Electrifying party :crossx:
Can we do the electric slide too? :rollside:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
09-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Actually, he is not very fond of residential side jobs.
Ask Bill. LOL
:boxed:

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Can we do the electric slide too? :rollside:
Don't forget the Electric Boogaloo!!

jayd_jr
09-07-2006, 01:35 PM
If you need a gas line ran I can fab it up for you with a test and tracer wire. All you have to do is dig the 18" deep trench from the stub to the island. Just give me the length....
Jay

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 01:49 PM
If you need a gas line ran I can fab it up for you with a test and tracer wire. All you have to do is dig the 18" deep trench from the stub to the island. Just give me the length....
Jay
thanks Jay
I wen't propane to avoid running a gas line.

djunkie
09-07-2006, 01:51 PM
thanks Jay
Ahhhhh. You fooled on that one. :rolleyes: :crossx: :crossx:

riverbound
09-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Actually, he is not very fond of residential side jobs.
Ask Bill. LOL
:boxed:
Mine wasnt even a side job.... I wasnt gonna pay him ;)

jayd_jr
09-07-2006, 01:55 PM
thanks Jay
Alright, Let me know if you need anything else..... Pm me your # I lost it!

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Ahhhhh. You fooled on that one. :rolleyes: :crossx: :crossx:
Your mom just called and said you need to get home and start your chores!!!! :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

djunkie
09-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Your mom just called and said you need to get home and start your chores!!!! :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:
Chores are done. She just made me a tuna sandwich so I'm eating lunch now. :crossx: :crossx:

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Chores are done. She just made me a tuna sandwich so I'm eating lunch now. :crossx: :crossx:
Please never talk about your mom and refer to a Tuna Sandwich in the same sentance again!!!!! :yuk: :yuk: :argue: :mad: :yuk:

djunkie
09-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Please never talk about your mom and refer to a Tuna Sandwich in the same sentance again!!!!! :yuk: :yuk: :argue: :mad: :yuk:
You are a disturbed individual for even thinking like that. :yuk: :yuk:

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 02:15 PM
You are a disturbed individual for even thinking like that. :yuk: :yuk:
you said it not me!!!! :argue: :yuk:
About me being disturbed......So? :crossx:

djunkie
09-07-2006, 02:21 PM
you said it not me!!!! :argue: :yuk:
About me being disturbed......So? :crossx:
Focker!!! LOL!!!!!!!! :crossx: :crossx:

ChumpChange
09-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Do what I did: I bought the eight gauge wire that have all three attached. I ran it from the box to right next to the tub, over 200'. Then I called an electician.

Phat Daddy
09-07-2006, 02:25 PM
I don't know jack about electical stuff but I'll come over and drink your beer!! :crossx:

djunkie
09-07-2006, 02:30 PM
I don't know jack about electical stuff but I'll come over and drink your beer!! :crossx:
Are you sure you'll have time? After all that would be precious nap time you'd be wasting. :crossx: :crossx:

phebus
09-07-2006, 02:38 PM
The wiring for your spa will most likely require a dedicated circuit, so you won't be able to "share" it's wiring with aany other electrical device.

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 02:41 PM
The wiring for your spa will most likely require a dedicated circuit, so you won't be able to "share" it's wiring with aany other electrical device.
If there is power to the wall and I get a new box and wire the spa,island,lights,AC to individual circuits will that work or do I need to hide a generator behind the spa with a couple jugs of race gas to really get the jets going? :crossx:

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Fridge is full of Corona.
Make sure you bring Maria and Dinner!!! :crossx: :p

andy01
09-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Make sure you have at least 18 inchs under grade. Don't need julio to come over for sprinklers and find him self on top of a 200 amp 8 gauge circuit.... bad news.
Dig, run grey pvc, cover pvc, pull wire, call a pro and pay a little to have it tied in right.
Andy

andy01
09-07-2006, 02:47 PM
oh yeah run 1 1/2 pvc if you can, that way the wire is easy to pull and you might add something later.

Phat Daddy
09-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Fridge is full of Corona.
Make sure you bring Maria and Dinner!!! :crossx: :p
That I can do!!! :rollside:

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Make sure you have at least 18 inchs under grade. Don't need julio to come over for sprinklers and find him self on top of a 200 amp 8 gauge circuit.... bad news.
Dig, run grey pvc, cover pvc, pull wire, call a pro and pay a little to have it tied in right.
Andy
Good advice and I will barry it that deep.
I have no prob running the pipe and pulling the wire but like you said I will leave the hook up to the pros.
Problem is I have no idea where to get power from. The main panel is 100' ft away from where I am pouring with nothing but concrete already in the way.

Sleek-Jet
09-07-2006, 02:51 PM
run grey pvc,
And nothing else... I believe it's called Schedule 40 PVC... they have it a Lowes/Home Depot ect...

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 02:51 PM
That I can do!!! :rollside:
You name the date and time and I will grab some movies for movie night. :)

djunkie
09-07-2006, 02:52 PM
You name the date and time and I will grab some movies for movie night. :)
Now if that doesn't sound gay. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Phat Daddy
09-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Are you sure you'll have time? After all that would be precious nap time you'd be wasting. :crossx: :crossx:
I was figuring on a nap after the first few beers. I need to make sure he has a hammock in place. :rollside: :) :rollside: :)

Phat Daddy
09-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Now if that doesn't sound gay. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Just cause you live at home with mom and drive a goof cart...don't be mad. :crossx: :D :D

djunkie
09-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Good advice and I will barry it that deep.
I have no prob running the pipe and pulling the wire but like you said I will leave the hook up to the pros.
Problem is I have no idea where to get power from. The main panel is 100' ft away from where I am pouring with nothing but concrete already in the way.
Who's Barry? :crossx: I'll come wire it up for you. Its a piece of cake. Hell if you want I'll even hook it up on the other side of the meter so you don't have to pay for the extra electric use. :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

Phat Daddy
09-07-2006, 02:56 PM
Good advice and I will barry it deep.
That is always my goal!!! :crossx:

djunkie
09-07-2006, 02:58 PM
That is always my goal!!! :crossx:
And from what your better half says your still trying to get there. :crossx: :crossx:

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Who's Barry? :crossx: I'll come wire it up for you. Its a piece of cake. Hell if you want I'll even hook it up on the other side of the meter so you don't have to pay for the extra electric use. :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
Are you an electrician? :) :idea:

djunkie
09-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Are you an electrician? :) :idea:
Not a licensed one. :crossx: :crossx:

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 03:07 PM
And from what your better half says your still trying to get there. :crossx: :crossx:
So says the guy with the Jedi sheets,Bunk bed and the lock on his bedroom door so his mom dosen't walk in and see him beating off.

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Not a licensed one. :crossx: :crossx:
DANGER!!! :crossx: :220v:

djunkie
09-07-2006, 03:09 PM
So says the guy with the Jedi sheets,Bunk bed and the lock on his bedroom door so his mom dosen't walk in and see him beating off.
Your close. Except instead of beating off, my g/f comes over and we bump uglies. Of course we do have to lock the door just in case. :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

djunkie
09-07-2006, 03:11 PM
DANGER!!! :crossx: :220v:
Hey I haven't burnt anything down yet. My whole family is in some kind of construction. I've paid attention over the years. They've pretty much built all of the families houses in the area.

voodoomedman
09-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Hey I haven't burnt anything down yet. My whole family is in some kind of construction. I've paid attention over the years. They've pretty much built all of the families houses in the area.
Yap. I've learned all the crap I do by watching and doing. Electrical is actually pretty easy. Use the right guage and match up the right colors and do all your connections in a junction box..... If you've got any mechanical abilities and 5 minutes to listen to somebody who knows their stuff to tell you what to do then you can do it just fine.

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Your close. Except instead of beating off, my g/f comes over and we bump uglies. Of course we do have to lock the door just in case. :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:
Don't lie....You still beat off in there :220v: :crossx:

djunkie
09-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Don't lie....You still beat off in there :220v: :crossx:
:crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

Bradman
09-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Do you have a pool now? If not and this was my house, I would run a sub panel to area where your spa and bbq will be. You should have enough poles in your main panel to do this. The hardest part of this would be to dig the trench. I think the code in CA is 18" deep. I would then run 1" electrical conduit from the main to the sub. The wire gauge I would run would be a #2 because of the distance. As for the neutral it could either be a #4 or #6. Like I said, this would be the hardest part of the job. To get the sub panel hot from the main would take a good electrician 30 minutes. The reason why I asked if you had a pool, is because if you ever put one in you would be able to run it from the sub panel also.

Phat Daddy
09-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Good thing it's over in 20 to 30 seconds, that way mom doesn't hear anything. :rollside: :rollside:

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Do you have a pool now? If not and this was my house, I would run a sub panel to area where your spa and bbq will be. You should have enough poles in your main panel to do this. The hardest part of this would be to dig the trench. I think the code in CA is 18" deep. I would then run 1" electrical conduit from the main to the sub. The wire gauge I would run would be a #2 because of the distance. As for the neutral it could either be a #4 or #6. Like I said, this would be the hardest part of the job. To get the sub panel hot from the main would take a good electrician 30 minutes. The reason why I asked if you had a pool, is because if you ever put one in you would be able to run it from the sub panel also.
No pool right now.
The BBQ and spa are on opposite side of the yard.(Approx 65' apart)
The front panel is at the front of the house at the garage and running conduit will be a pretty decent pain.
Any Electricians out there looking for a weekend side job? :)

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Good thing it's over in 20 to 30 seconds, that way mom doesn't hear anything. :rollside: :rollside:
Mom we are just Wrestling again!!!!
I tapped out after 15 seconds :crossx:

YeLLowBoaT
09-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Run the line thru the attic and down the side of the house to the spa. unless you don't have attic axecess then run it in conduit on the side of the house where the over hang meets the wall. Or go rent a jack hammer....

bordsmnj
09-07-2006, 04:06 PM
1" conduit??go bigger.
if you where running all emt you could put 3 #2 wires in there and thats the max. but when you run pvc the most #2's you can pull is two. there for use 1 1/4 for that app. also remeber that the smallest equip ground you can run to a pool or spa is #6.

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 06:09 PM
1" conduit??go bigger.
if you where running all emt you could put 3 #2 wires in there and thats the max. but when you run pvc the most #2's you can pull is two. there for use 1 1/4 for that app. also remeber that the smallest equip ground you can run to a pool or spa is #6.
Want to come out and give me a bid to wire it up?
I will dig and pull wire but I have no idea where to tap in or what to use.

CHEETER-JOE
09-07-2006, 07:10 PM
You will need a 50 amp breaker in your panel and a GFI protected "spa box" at least 5' away from your spa. You only need 1" conduit for the spa.
I do lots of spa's. Call me at 951-285-9767. I am a licensed electrician in Corona. Power One Electric...............Joey

bordsmnj
09-07-2006, 07:12 PM
i'd call joey. i take forever. :)

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 07:14 PM
You will need a 50 amp breaker in your panel and a GFI protected "spa box" at least 5' away from your spa. You only need 1" conduit for the spa.
I do lots of spa's. Call me at 951-285-9767. I am a licensed electrician in Corona. Power One Electric...............Joey
I will give you a buzz in the AM.
Thanks for the info. :)

Cole Trickle
09-07-2006, 07:15 PM
i'd call joey. i take forever. :)
You and Linda can still come over and do the electric slide;):D

cola
09-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Call Joey, he knows what he's talking about. Spa co. are leaving out the GFCI protection so we have to buy it @ $120+. It won't be cheep but you don't want to kill anyone in your spa.
Mike
If he can't help PM me.

djunkie
09-07-2006, 08:44 PM
More like a minute and a half but whos counting? :crossx: :crossx:

bonesfab
09-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Its only electricity. The goal is to keep the smoke in the wires. :rollside: idid the run it through the attic and out for the same reasons you said. to much concrete. Ran about 100ft and used #6 wire with 1-1/4 grey pvc. also dont forget to run a ground wire as i beleive it is code now. 4 wires total. been there done it and enjoying it..