PDA

View Full Version : Fogging EFI engines

Pismo
09-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Merc now states to make up a mixture of gas, 2 stroke oil, and gas stabilizer and run it thru the engine for 5-10 minutes. Doesn't sound like it will do much except gum up the injectors. Spray fogging oil down past the flame arrestor will gum up/destroy the air mass sensor. So any suggestions on how to fog an EFI engine well? Spray fogging oil past the air mass sensor? Will this solve the problem, are there anymore components downstream that will be damaged by the fogging oil?
Thanks

SmokinLowriderSS
09-07-2006, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't bother.
Lowrider has never been fogged. Not in the 24 years dad owned her, nor the 4 I have. The engine was opened up for examination, and would up being rebuilt, but without cylinder wear, ring "damage", or anything else that resembled "corrosion" anywhere in the cylinders or intake tract.
Here in Ks we DO get lots of humid, cold, warm, engines "sweat", and still nothing happened. There WAS some rust traces/staining on the 5/16" pushrods I found, but fogging wouldn't do that a bit of good. The entire boat sat several years several times without being run in the '90's & early 2000's time period.

jbone
09-07-2006, 06:32 PM
I could be wrong here, but doesn't the term fogging refer to spraying a product/solution on the outside of the engine and components to prevent corrosion in salt applications.
I know you can buy fogging spray for that use, but on the outboard on my old fiching boat used to fog everthing with a WD40 after hosing it off. After years of use in the salt, it looked brand new.
J

Avenger 1975
09-07-2006, 07:07 PM
No, fogging is getting a protective coating on the intake/valves/cylinders etc. by pouring or spraying it down the carb.
I think Merc recommends 2 stroke oil mixed with gas so it won't gum up the injectors and will still give you somewhat of a fogging coating, though I can't imagine it amounts to much. I have no idea how else you can fog that engine, a bit of oil in the spark plug holes will get the cylinders and valves pretty well coated.

Paul128a
09-07-2006, 08:05 PM
I dont know much about the EFI engines, but you can simply remove the plugs, pour some two stroke oil in there, crank her up a few times with no plugs, and that will coat your insides with oil.