PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking to have a big power 460 built....

1968Droptop
09-07-2006, 01:36 PM
I'm looking to have a 460 built. It needs to be near 750 HP, single carb, NA, no nitrous. Just plain old power, and I want to run on pump gas. I've chatted with a few guys that are involved here on the boards, but thought I'd ask you all who built your Ford ? I don't have an open check book, but I'm not looking to get it for free either. I'm hoping to find a builder on the West Coast.
P.S. I know I'm asking for the Chevy guys to start chirping, I'll just have to sift through it :) :rollside: :)

Devilman
09-07-2006, 01:42 PM
I'm looking to have a 460 built. It needs to be near 750 HP, single carb, NA, no nitrous. Just plain old power, and I want to run on pump gas. I've chatted with a few guys that are involved here on the boards, but thought I'd ask you all who built your Ford ? I don't have an open check book, but I'm not looking to get it for free either. I'm hoping to find a builder on the West Coast.
P.S. I know I'm asking for the Chevy guys to start chirping, I'll just have to sift through it :) :rollside: :)
Not interested in building it yourself?

YeLLowBoaT
09-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Talk to lakes only...

MudPumper
09-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Either Lakes Only or Dave at DNE. :crossx:

roostwear
09-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Talk to Lakes. Sounds like there's a stroker motor in your future. Oh, and that kinda sucking, whooshing sound you'll hear? That's the sound of massive volumes of fuel leaving your gas tanks. :D

460 jus getn it
09-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Lakes Only is the way to go................................................ ................

Danhercules
09-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Paul (Lakesonly) is the way to go IMO. Here is his web site.
High Flow Dynamics (http://www.highflowdynamics.com/)
Paul tweaked my old Ford and got me some great HP. He ported my heads and set me up with a cam.
He is now on my new project. :crossx: :crossx:

MikeF
09-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Does'nt SqueezinSpectra have a BBF for sale. I think it is a reasonable price. Check into the details of the engine. :)

dmontzsta
09-07-2006, 03:31 PM
As I mentioned to you in the PM.
LakesOnly (Paul) with High Flow Dynamics, he is the 385 master, him and 058 that is. :D

1968Droptop
09-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I've talked with Paul, seemed like a good guy, but it's real good to hear some positive feedback ! I'm looking for the biggest bang for my buck, as most of us are. Just tossing a large sum of money (at least for this household) to someone you've never even shook a hand with can be a bit scary. Positive feedback is priceless.

killerbeez
09-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Dave at DNE has some amazing engines.

n8dawg
09-07-2006, 05:25 PM
I know Nelson #109 has a high horse power ford motor in his CP.
You might want to concider building one yourself, just get a good machine shop.

Ken F
09-07-2006, 05:55 PM
I met Lakes Only (Paul) two weeks ago in Tenn. at some boat drags.
We had emailed and talked on the phone for two years prior, and have done business together, which has always been very pleasant.
Great guy, as honest as the day is long, and I would highly recomend him.
Ken F

FILUCKY
09-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Want to make big HP with a BBF, go straight to the A460 heads and intake on a 500+ C.I. motor (up to a 557 in a stock block) And 750Hp on pump gas is no problem. My old lake motor was a 557 with A460 heads and TR with 1050's, ran 10.2 CR, .670 lift cam (pretty mild) and this motor turned an "A" impeller just under 6200RPM. I run the same heads on a 514 C.I. 14:1 CR motor with a single 1250 and a .799 lift cam and turn a "B" impeller 6800RPM. If you build the motor from the ground up then going with the A460 setup is not really that much more then an conventional setup and the gains are well worth the little extra money. :)

Cas
09-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Arron at Bad Ass Racing is another excellent option to add to the list above
Bad Ass Racing Engines (http://www.badasscars.com/)
Check out some of the engines he's built in his gallery. He's going to be building a 545 BBF for someone else here on the boards.
here's a couple of picks
545ci
http://www.badasscars.com/gallery/545-small.jpg
522ci - I'm not much of a Ford guy but I'd surely love something like this one!
http://www.badasscars.com/gallery/bbf1.jpg

GM Killer
09-07-2006, 08:50 PM
I have a fresh 1100hp 562" for sale. PM me if interested

RiverRacer
09-07-2006, 10:10 PM
I've owned and raced Ford's exclusively since 1966. I don't know if I'm a 'master' or not, but I have managed to learn a few things and seem to be able to build Ford performance engines that live and make power. The engine in the boat below is a 514 Ford. A duplicate would be more than satisfactory as far as the performance level you're looking for with a single Carb. If you are shopping strictly price, there are lots of guys that will be willing to split a nickel for your business. I'm not one. If you want quality and value, and are willing to pay a little more to get it, call me. Conversation, advice and ideas are free. 951-763-9765 RR

flat broke
09-08-2006, 08:52 AM
Hack Job's 501 (offset ground ford crank/eagle rods) makes 735 at 6000 but its a tunnel ram motor. The induction/heads/cam were setup by DNE, and the thing starts easy, runs hard and is trouble free, all on 91 octane.
Make sure when you're having this conversation with whatever builders you're talking to, that they are quoting you power levels at or below 6krpm. The 429 based motors lend themesleves to this pretty easily, but you want to make absolute certain you aren't getting a "car" motor that is meant to redline/shift at 7k or something where you will never see the peak power in your boat. I know I sound like a broken record on this next part, but check into the Blue thunder heads configured with the Chevrolet exhaust flange. The options it will give you for exhaust configurations are worth it.
If you already have the 460 to work with and want to go the 501 route, it saves you a little coin over other combinations, but also makes it harder to hit your goal with a single carb. Paul is a nice guy and seems to be putting out some nice stuff, but the only name I can personally recommend is Dave at DNE because that's who built both of our current motors, and you don't want a recommentation from someone who hasn't been a customer of who they're recommending.
Good luck with it,
Chris

esabataj
09-08-2006, 11:33 AM
I can also vouch for LakesOnly!! I have spent alot of time on the phone with Paul and his help was invalueble to me when I was building my 521 BBF for my TX-19. He's as honest as the day is long and will give you the straight scoop on a 385 based engine, even when you don't want to hear it. Through his and Scotty Johnsons (Reincarnation automotive) help, I put together a 600-650 hp, iron headed, N/A, Single Carb, pump gas 521, that twists an Agresser B to a little over 6,000 rpm.
Talk to Paul, he won't steer you wrong
Richard

hack job
09-08-2006, 12:55 PM
yup
i had dave at dne motor sports build mine and i am at 740hp with room for growth. but paul lakes only is very good choice as well!

MACHINEHEAD
09-08-2006, 05:37 PM
How much does a BBF, 750HP, pump gas engine go for these days?

MACHINEHEAD
09-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Chirp

FILUCKY
09-08-2006, 05:55 PM
The same as a 750 pump gas chev. :) It all really depends on how good of parts ya want.

dmontzsta
09-08-2006, 06:53 PM
The biggest chunk of the cost is going to be the top end. In order to do it on pump gas, it has to have the best of the best.

1968Droptop
09-08-2006, 06:54 PM
Man I never expected so many responses, thanks! Lot's of good info, and I haven't even looked at my PM's (7 of them !). It's good to know that my goal is within reason, and can live for more than one pull across the lake. You guys with the 557's, they holding up well ? How about oil comsomption ? I read in the past that they tented to use oil (blow by), is that something that's been worked out ?
P.S. The Boat I'm buying next week has Lightning water jacketed headers, CHEV bolt pattern. Having the Chev pattern on the exhaust may be an added bonus. Here's a pix of it....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/3320Daytona-med.JPG

flat broke
09-08-2006, 10:12 PM
You'll be stoked with that Daytona over your Sanger. That is a bigger boat though so don't expect it to get up and haul ass the same way a 18' boat would with the same 750hp. But the ride in the chop is well worth the tradeoff in acceleration. Since the boat is coming with the Lightnings, do yourself a big favor and make sure your head selection has the Chevy flanges. While lightning does make a Ford/Chevy adapter, there is nothing fun about using them, and they are somewhat restrictive. Since it sounds like you'll be buying new heads anyhow, might as well spec em with the flanges to support the $1600 headers you're getting with the purchase of the boat.
Chris

1968Droptop
09-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Since it sounds like you'll be buying new heads anyhow, might as well spec em with the flanges to support the $1600 headers you're getting with the purchase of the boat.
Chris
Exactly what I thought, it just didn't occur to me right away. But in the long run it'll work out better.

kraig
09-09-2006, 06:28 AM
IMPATEINT 1 has a BAD AZZ 460 for sale. Check him.

1968Droptop
09-10-2006, 06:53 AM
Someone PM'd me about informing them of what comes out of this motor build info, but I accidentally deleted it, PM me again if you would.

Captain Assin' Off
09-10-2006, 06:20 PM
You could just put a chev in it. Think of the money you'll save. I've heard rumors of you being actually passed on I-5 by a chevy truck, pulling a chevy powered Daytona..hmmm, makes one wonder..

FILUCKY
09-10-2006, 06:31 PM
What is cheaper about building a chev over a Ford? Have you priced the two? Any Hi-performance motor will have basically the same after market parts. Let go of the 1980's, times have changed and chevy isn't the only one with the after market companys in thier corner. :idea:

LakesOnly
09-10-2006, 10:15 PM
DropTop,
There are a lot of great machine shops out there. All over the place. Just pick one that really, really knows these engines. An air pump is an air pump...is an air pump, to a point, and then there are idiosynchracies in all engine designs that need to be specifically addressed. Being familiar with a specific engine design's idiosynchracies can make the difference between a good running engine and an engine that runs much better than it has the right to.
I recently visited with a guy that was having his Ford stroker motor built by a very reputable shop, very well known shop....but one that didn't specialize in Fords. This place builds major bling engines for drag racers on liquid and asphalt, GM-based monsters, Arias hemis, etc. So, I'm looking at this customer's Ford stroker engine and thinking to myself, "my god everything is so wrong on this build...the heads, this, that, mod's on the parts (both oem and aftermarket) being overlooked. It was both shocking and depressing, because I imagined that this poor customer was spending big bucks to have his engine built by this big name shop, but in reality was getting so little back for all his money. I also remember thinking, "looks like it's being built by a chebby guy," (meaning, built by someone that seemingly knows nothing more about Ford 385's than the guy nextdoor in his 2-car garage building one for his first time and using magazine articles as his guide/not knowng what's out there for these engines, what really works for the specific application, etc.). It was a crying shame.
Now, about face: On page 1 of this thead, RiverRacer noted that he has been building big block Fords since the 1960's. That is the kind of qualification(s) you should be looking for. Similarly, the other two gentlemen that make up our business over here have been drag racing Ford 460's since the 1970's and even design/create major engine parts (such as heads, timing covers, dual mag distributor drives, etc) exclusively for these engines and have proven them for years on race tracks with nitro and blowers, etc. That is the kind of qualification(s) you should be looking for. There are qualified shops out there, yes, but fewer shops that specialize dearly in the 429/460 Ford.
Do your homework, find all the shops that are truly qualified, and then settle with someone with whom you truly feel comfortable. By way of comparison, when it came time to buy a proven race boat, I was willing to go as far as the Carolinas to look a one that was worth the trip. (I ended up buyng a beautiful boat in mid-state Oregon,but you get the point.)
LO
p.s.: the big name non-Ford shop that I made note of above has not been recommended by anyone in this thread.

LakesOnly
09-10-2006, 10:17 PM
You could just put a chev in it. Think of the money you'll save. hey captain, come back to port from out there in the middle of no-where and check up on things, the times they are a -changin'. :D
LO

OkieDave
09-11-2006, 05:28 AM
I have run stroker BBF motors for 16 years. starting with a 499 back in 1990. I have done three 557 in the last three years. I am still running the first one. It is not a max effort engine but its about 14.77 to one compression with a mild(.669" lift) roller cam. runs good, uses 230 shot of NOS when needed. I like the 9.5" impellor to keep the rpm down. no issues except occasional valve train stuff.

AzMandella
09-11-2006, 08:59 AM
You could just put a chev in it. Think of the money you'll save. I've heard rumors of you being actually passed on I-5 by a chevy truck, pulling a chevy powered Daytona..hmmm, makes one wonder..
where have you been?When I was building my 514 ford a friend of mine was building a 468 Chevy.The only thing I reused was the block,oilpan,and roller rockers.Which is about the same as my friend.He spent over 1000.00 more than I did and I've got aluminum heads and roller cam wheras he has Cast iron factory heads and a solid lifter cam.And it pisses him off to no end because I spank his ass all over the place. :cry: :) Especialy since he hates Fords.Not to mention if he did decide to go to a chevy he'd need to buy headers,motorplates,marine timingchain cover(or water inlets) which looks to be in the 1000$ range on top of building a new motor.

Sanger Jet
09-11-2006, 09:13 AM
I Love my 532 stroker plenty of power to push my heavy Sanger around If I can keep it in the water :220v:

'78 gt boat
09-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Paul built my motor and though it's not 750hp it is about 400hp and runs all day at 5k rpm. My boat is a little 18.5 ft. spectra that does not attract a lot of attention until the motor starts :crossx: :crossx: I am extremely pleased and will reccomend Lakes to anyone. Just my .02