PDA

View Full Version : 454 front mount V-drive

picklefork1
02-14-2002, 08:13 AM
In the process of picking up a hydro, the intent is to put my 454 in it. Not knowing anything about V- drives yet other than the motor faces the other way, what front mount set up do I need, and does anyone have one for sale??, also how is the motor mounted, level, tilted?. Need help
The new guy
[This message has been edited by picklefork1 (edited February 14, 2002).]

LeE ss13
02-14-2002, 08:50 AM
How many would you like ??? (and what color?) No seriously... which end do you need? The one for the back of the boat (front of the engine), or the front of the boat with the driveshaft cover support, (rear of the engine)? How wide are the stringers? (measured from the inside of one stringer to the inside of the other). Also, what is the diameter of the driveshaft cover?
--------
LeE ss13

picklefork1
02-14-2002, 08:57 AM
You got me spinnin, I see I need some serious schoolin. I need the drive shaft cover suppor end, and I'm not sure what the measurements are, I'll have to get that. Anyway, it sounds like these mounts are readily available is this the case?, and if they are I would like them in chrome. How much?
[This message has been edited by picklefork1 (edited February 14, 2002).]

Backfire
02-14-2002, 01:10 PM
Depending on the speed you need to learn this stuff, I have several suggestions: First, get Rex, Eddie, and Glenwood catalogs and carefully examine the pictures to learn configuration, mechanics, and the names of the items. You should attend inboard races and take lots of pictures and mental notes of the rigging scheme(This can also be accomplished at ski beaches).Once you have a basic grasp of how everything works and what it's called,ask questions/solicit opinions... messageboards like this and chat rooms are a great place to talk boats, just as those ski beaches are.You'll find very few a-holes that don't like to talk about this stuff. There are also tutorials and diagrams for such stuff as wiring, steering, boat furniture and even rebuilding your Casale v-drive on several of the v-drive websites. I predict you are going to have lots of fun without necessarily spending a truckload of money...good luck!

hottrodder
02-14-2002, 04:01 PM
An OP6'er posting in the V-drive forum? Last OP6 event I was at there weren't to many V-drives. Maybe that's about to change http://www.plauder-smilies.de/happy/xyxthumbs.gif . What happened to the lil red pickle? What kind of hydro? I hope you don't have to change your screen name to shovelnose1.
There can be alot to learn about V-drives depending how into it you get. How your motor gets installed depends on a few things. What's the degree of your V-drive and how far will the motor be from it? This will determine install height and angle (tilt). Motor placement is a distance from the transom. Find and talk to some guys with your hull and see where their motor is. Keep the crank CL inline with the input shaft. A bubble level can help alot with this. A driveline with U-joints will make up for all but the worst misalignment. And last but not least ask questions!

picklefork1
02-14-2002, 06:16 PM
Hey hottrodder, how have you been,
It's a 1975 Lee Mize shovelnose and all it's waiting on is my motor, I eventually plan to put a blower motor in the picklefork which I'm keeping. My new years resolution was not to sell anything I liked thats paid for. I'd sure like to talk to you in person sometime about this new v-drive thing I'm starting to get into.
Anyway thanks for the advice lee, backfire and hottrodder,

Costello
02-14-2002, 08:36 PM
The Mize hydro is a pretty rare find. I almost purchased one out of Washington a few years ago, but it sold before I could get there. I believe Mize ran dual rudders on his, and if I'm not mistaken they have a scaled bottom so the boat would not be "stuck" and had better lift to it. Good luck with your project.

picklefork1
02-14-2002, 10:19 PM
Thanks Costello, I got lucky with this one, the guy even said that he has an old V-drive movie with this boat in it, it'll be nice to have an old timer like this one.

superdave013
02-14-2002, 10:42 PM
Picklefork1, If you are ever going past Anaheim you are more than welcome to stop by and check out my v-drive stuff. My boat is completly apart right now and you cna hold those parts on you hands to get an idea of what you need.
Also most of the stuff is one off fabricated for boats like yours. Sure you can buy a engine plate from Rex or Eddie. But they will most likely need to be modified to fit some what. I have a mill and lathe at my house and can slice and dice some parts for you it need be.
Do you have any pics of this gem?

picklefork1
02-15-2002, 07:23 AM
Hey Superdave, I'll be out in Havasu Saturday at barns, I'm ancious to see how the boat is coming
Thanks for the offer, I will be taking you up on it, I'll send you an e-mail with my cell number so we can hook up when it's convenient for you.
I do had several pictures, let me see if I can get them up here.

superdave013
02-15-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by picklefork1:
Hey Superdave, I'll be out in Havasu Saturday at barns, I'm ancious to see how the boat is coming
Thanks for the offer, I will be taking you up on it, I'll send you an e-mail with my cell number so we can hook up when it's convenient for you.
I do had several pictures, let me see if I can get them up here.
Cool, tell me what you think when you see it in person. Looks good in the pics.
Send your pics to Barney and have him start a project folder for you on his site.

Kurtis500
02-15-2002, 08:33 PM
Hey picklefork1, I have a Mize also!! We are installing a chevy in it right now. Have you got some pictures to e-mail?

picklefork1
02-18-2002, 12:18 PM
Super - Just got back, your boat looks great, a quality job by far, you will be stoked to see it in person.
Kurtis500 - I'll be posting some here but could e-mail you the rest. Definatley want to see some pictures of yours, do you have any you can e-mail?.

Kurtis500
02-18-2002, 09:31 PM
Picklefork, check you e-mail...I'll try to take progress pictures along the way too.