PDA

View Full Version : Raising trailer

67weimann
09-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Anyone ever raised there trailer?
I keep dragging the rear c channel on the ground and it has started to bend out and consequently break the welds holding the brackets that hold the bunks. The trailer is a spring under set up and thought about swappin it to spring over to gain about 4" lift. Other than having to go farther into the water to launch, what do you guys think? :cool:

Flip
09-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Weld on some steel rollers. Solved my problem.

lalhc
09-07-2006, 07:55 PM
The axles on my trailer were flipped right before I purchasd my boat. The previous owner did it to allow larger tires. The only downside I've noticed is that my rear axle will move slightly if the tires are not touching the ground. It goes right back in place once there's weight on the trailer.

squirt'nmyload
09-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Anyone ever raised there trailer?
I keep dragging the rear c channel on the ground and it has started to bend out and consequently break the welds holding the brackets that hold the bunks. The trailer is a spring under set up and thought about swappin it to spring over to gain about 4" lift. Other than having to go farther into the water to launch, what do you guys think? :cool:
is just the rear sitting to low??? could you drop the hitch ball down??? just a thought

YeLLowBoaT
09-07-2006, 08:22 PM
I went from a over slung to a under slung axle. gave me the coulpe inchs I needed.( pump would scrap come off of crubs.) I looked into getting new springs/ rearching them. They no longer made the springs I needed, custom would be about 400 and rearching was 350. So I made the axle a under slung. gave me the clearance I needed. It had small bits of metal will a hole drilled in them to keep the axle form moving. So I measured then cut the welds with a grinder. Then took the grinder to the paint on the other side. Took every thing to the local muffler shop. Clamped them in place(IE I held them with gloves on) while the guy laid a very heavy beed on each side( he way over killed) took about 5 mins cost me $10. the hole job cost me about $30 with all new ubolts/brackets and about a hour. Later that day I painted the trailer. If not some spary paint would have been fine.

67weimann
09-07-2006, 09:01 PM
is just the rear sitting to low??? could you drop the hitch ball down??? just a thought
well, even with the tongue sitting on the ground, the rear is only 9" from the ground. I'm not sure what the height is with it on the hitch but it has to be around 5-6" from the ground...
as far as the axle movement, I don't think this will be an issue since my axle is a square tube that forms a "u". It isn't straight and is square so it should be just as solid regardless of spring location IMO...
It just sucks to be pulling out of a parking lot in town trying to be carefull and drag the @ss end of the trailer. It also will hit rocks when I launch from the bank. I have to get out and move rocks to clear a path to launch from the bank... :mad:

YeLLowBoaT
09-07-2006, 09:09 PM
have you tried getting new springs yet? Unless they are a odd ball size, you can get them with more drop. or maybe just a longer shackle? its hard to tell with out pics.

GUGS102
09-08-2006, 07:18 AM
I've lifted many trailers, the jets for the same reason as yours. Sometimes you can add an additional mount to the other side of the axle, that way you only get 2" instead of the 4". This is an easy process to do. You can pick up the mounts at any trailer store and only take about an hour ir so to find the center, mount the tabs and move on. The only consideration is how much bow you have in the axle and whether that will effect the combo. You may be better off to flip the axle under the spring pack in the same configuration as you currently have. I'm in Peoria too, if you need a hand.
Gugs

DMOORE
09-08-2006, 10:34 AM
No problem. Friends do it all the time on trailers they use in the desert and want more clearance. With square tube, it's very easy. You can buy the pads a a lot of trailer supply stores.
Darrell.

67weimann
09-08-2006, 03:09 PM
You may be better off to flip the axle under the spring pack in the same configuration as you currently have.
my thoughts exactly. I think I'll give it a shot on Sun after going out tomorrow to the lake... :crossx:

wickedfab
09-08-2006, 10:01 PM
i have the same prob with mine. the boat is off the trailer and im adding a bunch of round tube to strengthen the trailer up a bit. it was already welded once from the owner sometime before me. the rear i dont mind dragging but it really fawks up the rear x member. so im ganna beef the back up to drag over anything and take a beating. also going to linx the trailer while im at it.
question though.....with a low pro trailer and the pump hanging/rideplate/droop/place dvtr/etc.....does the back most part come close to dragging?

Wicked Performance Boats
09-09-2006, 08:01 AM
If you move the axle,you will have to move the fenders. If you have to move the fenders, why not just put a larger tire and wheel combo on it. If you look around, you can find a used set if you are watching your pennies. Anyway good luck. Budlight

67weimann
09-09-2006, 05:23 PM
question though.....with a low pro trailer and the pump hanging/rideplate/droop/place dvtr/etc.....does the back most part come close to dragging?
good question. I have never drug the pump only the trailer. I'll take some measurements and post what my pump is off the ground.
and as far as just putting on bigger tires, i like to be able to raise the trailer and dropp the fenders down...less chance of rubbing the fenders with the boat when coming on and off the trailer...
also, raising the trailer is not gonna cost really anything at all. I'll do all my own work and fab up some different fenders...

YeLLowBoaT
09-09-2006, 06:38 PM
My nossle would drag pulling the boat out of the drive way or when going over a curb.

FreeRide
09-09-2006, 07:07 PM
My dad and I re built a v drive trailer, and it would do similar things on the back cross member. Hit off curbs, speed bumps etc. We stuck a peice of nylon/teflon on the bottom of the x member, it will slide like soap now.

67weimann
09-09-2006, 07:23 PM
My nossle would drag pulling the boat out of the drive way or when going over a curb.
ouch :mad:
the teflon or rollers is a decent fix for around town but out at the lake if it is low and scattered with rocks, these don't seem like they would be that good of a remedy...I like to launch from shore and avoid the hassle of the idiots at the ramps. Also, then you just launch and pull the trailer out of the water. No walking all the way back down and up the ramp. If there is a rock that is an inch or so taller than the x member, the telon isn't gonna do anything cuz the rock will hit square on the face of the x member and not slide across the top.
I'll snap some pics tomorrow when I tear into it and let you all know how it goes...

YeLLowBoaT
09-09-2006, 07:51 PM
I really think that if you went from a over slung axle to a under slung you would be ok. That should give you about 2" more clearance. That was the route I went. It was by far the cheapest. I wish I had b4 and after pics. not only did it give me the clearance I need for the pump it also gave me a couple more inchs of fender clearance.
Going with a longer shakle is not a good idea. You can go with longer spring mounts, but if you don't mount them perfect you will have probs with your trailer.

YeLLowBoaT
09-09-2006, 08:02 PM
you driving 4X4 style over curbs and sh$t :eek::D
I was doing a brake stand too :)
Drive way ends in side walk. which has a ~ 6" tall rounded crub. that was just enough of a drop to where the pump would slighly drag.