PDA

View Full Version : 25/26 Cats #6 Drives......

andy01
09-07-2006, 08:16 PM
If someone has experience then post it. I am putting this up for a friend that is looking into building a hot rod Parker/Havasu boat. He is looking for pictures of Daytonas or DCB's with the #6's. How did WW's old 29' run with the TCM and 6? He wants the boat to just fly to a buck 115-120.
Andy

Kilrtoy
09-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Tell him to drive in a spectre first, anything after that will be a dream :boxed: :rollside:

TOBTEK
09-07-2006, 11:41 PM
a friend.......... YEAHHHHHHHHHHH RIGHHHHHHHHHT!
" HI doc, I have this friend that has a strange rash that wont go away, what can he do?"

andy01
09-08-2006, 02:14 AM
a friend.......... YEAHHHHHHHHHHH RIGHHHHHHHHHT!
" HI doc, I have this friend that has a strange rash that wont go away, what can he do?"
Your such a Jack, I already had a 26'. This is a good river boat for me........ http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-10467.html

TOBTEK
09-08-2006, 06:11 AM
Your such a Jack, I already had a 26'. This is a good river boat for me........ http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-10467.html
mySQL error: Host 'www.offshoreonly.com' is blocked because of many connection errors; unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts'
mySQL error code: 1129
Date: Friday 08th of September 2006 09:10:00 AM
yeah, thats a nice one........... jack

DCBDaytona
09-08-2006, 06:25 AM
I'm not too sure about a #6 in a 26...There could be a weight issue. Also, with the tranny, I'm not sure there would be much room for rear seat passengers!

mondorally
09-08-2006, 06:45 AM
I lose about 18" or so with my powerglide/#4 setup in my 22' Schiada. I know its apples/oranges but I can still fit a bench & two buckets with decent room.
This might me a space saving big power setup - NXT1 drive from Merc.
NXT1 Drive (http://www.mercuryracing.com/products/drives/drysumpnxt1.php)
It talks about "compact trans", "200 lbs. lighter", etc. Maybe someone has the actual dimensions.
-Justin

TOBTEK
09-08-2006, 07:00 AM
I lose about 18" or so with my powerglide/#4 setup in my 22' Schiada. I know its apples/oranges but I can still fit a bench & two buckets with decent room.
This might me a space saving big power setup - NXT1 drive from Merc.
NXT1 Drive (http://www.mercuryracing.com/products/drives/drysumpnxt1.php)
It talks about "compact trans", "200 lbs. lighter", etc. Maybe someone has the actual dimensions.
-Justin
but at last report you have to also buy the 700SC motor with that NXT as a package.... bingo bucks!

mondorally
09-08-2006, 07:04 AM
but at last report you have to also buy the 700SC motor with that NXT as a package.... bingo bucks!
I just found that on OSO...... and that sucks!
-Justin

WetWillie
09-08-2006, 07:05 AM
You should talk to (Damn cant remember his name right now) He is here on the board. He built a F26 with a BIG motor and #6. He should be working the bugs out finally and should have something to share.
Anybody remmember who this was?? Maybe an urban legand??
Washed Ashore or Washed Overboard??? :crossx:

NICE PAIR
09-08-2006, 07:53 AM
You should talk to (Damn cant remember his name right now) He is here on the board. He built a F26 with a BIG motor and #6. He should be working the bugs out finally and should have something to share.
You are looking for Jeff @ Smooth as Glass, 209-869-3545 CA, F-26, Arias hemi, 120+ mph, pump gas, Still tuning.

XFactor
09-08-2006, 08:32 AM
You are looking for Jeff @ Smooth as Glass, 209-869-3545 CA, F-26, Arias hemi, 120+ mph, pump gas, Still tuning.
If this is the boat I think it is, he made HUGE changes to the transom to accomodate the addtional power and drive.

Tom Slick
09-08-2006, 08:39 AM
I know that there was a 25' Talon with a huge Race Crafters motor with a #6 that ran very hard. Also, I believe that Rock-it-Man had a 26' Daytona with huge power and a #6 that ran hard as well, but he changed to a Wiseman drive and seemed to have good success. I think it takes some testing and set-up, but you can get it right.

Member: 7673
09-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Not sure if this will help any, I saved this picture awhile back. Looks BADASS. I believe its off a 25-26 Daytona.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1583Daytona_N06.jpg

mbrown2
09-08-2006, 09:51 AM
I know that there was a 25' Talon with a huge Race Crafters motor with a #6 that ran very hard. Also, I believe that Rock-it-Man had a 26' Daytona with huge power and a #6 that ran hard as well, but he changed to a Wiseman drive and seemed to have good success. I think it takes some testing and set-up, but you can get it right.
I thought Rockit Man had a 4x4 then switched to Wiseman...but what do I know...:)
Also, I think that Talon sunk right off of Windsor due to water over the back...wonder if it had to do with the COG being off with all that weight in the back...

BADBLOWN572
09-08-2006, 09:56 AM
I don't believe that Rock-it-man ever had a #6, I could be wrong. I believe that he had an Imco 4x4 that he couldn't keep together. I do know that he switched to the Wiseman drive. From what I understand, it was an excellent drive for going in a straight line. Turning left something to be desired. I heard a rumor that the boat spun at high speed because the prop "walked" across the water in a circle. The rumors came from a reliable source, but did not hear it from Rock-it-man himself. Might be great for a race boat, but not sure about a pleasure boat.

MOBrien
09-08-2006, 09:58 AM
"Washed Ashore" here on the boards does in fact have an amazing F26 with a monster motor hooked to a #6. He is still working out the bugs, but has seen impressive numbers with his setup thus far and word is it has quite a bit more left in it.
Good luck.

Keith E. Sayre
09-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Look at the 25' Talon at www.racecrafters.biz. I think he still has it. If your
friend is a serious buyer, he can steal this one. It's got about $225,000
in and that was with mid 90's prices. Baddest boat that I've ever driven.
look under the "boats for sale" category and scroll down, you'll see the very
neat and clean #6 on the boat.
If you've got the HP to justify it, the #6 is the best. You should also call
and talk to Rockitman--Wayne, he's real high on the Wiseman drive also.
If you want to know specifics of how the boat handled etc, call me and I'll
go into detail for you.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
928-680-1400

MOBrien
09-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Rock-it man sold that Daytona to DCBob here on the boards. It still has the Wiseman on it I believe. Might want to reach out to both of them for insight on the Wiseman if it interests you.

Tom Slick
09-08-2006, 11:32 AM
I thought Rockit Man had a 4x4 then switched to Wiseman...but what do I know...:)
Also, I think that Talon sunk right off of Windsor due to water over the back...wonder if it had to do with the COG being off with all that weight in the back...
I wasn't positive on the #6, but I new he had switched to the Wiseman. We saw that Talon at Windor that day also. Sure was a radical looking set-up!

Washed Ashore
09-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Oh Wet One,your funny!!I can tell you that a six will work,but its no bolt on.I did make major mods to make it work,and still have a back seat.I dont like the way it gets on plane with bigger props,tabs would help alot,but once on plane the boat rides great.It is more trim sensitive than I thought it would be,as far as weight,the boat floats like it has twin O/B's!!The performance will come with more testing,Im looking for a five blade to try,I also want to try out a chopper like WW had on his 29.Alot of people said it would not work,they were WRONG!!
Urban Legend

WetWillie
09-08-2006, 09:49 PM
I was just trying to flush the damn Yeti out of the woods and look who showes up. Good to here its running... Show these guys the back of your boat you did some good work. Also you might need to take out the patent on it when you get it all dialed in...
Lost Wages owes me a few favors if you need that prop..

spectras only
09-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Rob [ member Kanedog ] has a #6 on his Daytona >
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Rob26daytona

Washed Ashore
09-08-2006, 10:12 PM
WW,
I dont know how to post pics,all the good ones might be on my work computer?Do you remember what diameter and pitch your 29 had?Props are hard to come buy,there is a local guy that has tons of them,but he is a prick.I wouldn't take one if he gave it to me!!
Jeff

THOR
09-09-2006, 07:18 AM
All Seasons Marine in Boulder City is/was selling a 25 Daytona with about 1000HP and #6 drive. It was Gary Huchins' (local guy) boat and ran very hard. Mucho problems with all that HP though. I have parked next to it on occassion at Mead and it is one bad ass ride.

LUVNLIFE
09-09-2006, 07:33 AM
I have some info although it is not first hand :rolleyes: :rollside: I know someone who talked to Leach about a six in a 26' and he was told by Bob that they didn't work well in the 26. Anyone else here that? Seems that there are more than a few of them out there. Is it just a weight distribution issue? And what about a 27'? :)

x7734x
09-09-2006, 07:40 AM
All Seasons Marine in Boulder City is/was selling a 25 Daytona with about 1000HP and #6 drive. It was Gary Huchins' (local guy) boat and ran very hard. Mucho problems with all that HP though. I have parked next to it on occassion at Mead and it is one bad ass ride.+
I was wondering why they were asling almost 100K for that boat. I had no idea that it was rigged with a #6. I will have to stop by and check it out, I believe it is still for sale.

andy01
09-09-2006, 08:22 AM
All Seasons Marine in Boulder City is/was selling a 25 Daytona with about 1000HP and #6 drive. It was Gary Huchins' (local guy) boat and ran very hard. Mucho problems with all that HP though. I have parked next to it on occassion at Mead and it is one bad ass ride.
Any more contact info? Photos? year of this boat? THere is some good info. here.
I am trying to get him to do a two seat F26/26 Daytona with the motor moved up. Like a ski/race boat. Like a old 19' Daytona drag boat but a 26' instead. #6 with a big inch PSI motor.
Andy

spectras only
09-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Here's a short clip of Kanedog's Daytona . It sits pretty level at all speeds.
He may chime in later to give his two bits .
http://media.putfile.com/Daytona-26-number-six-drive
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/eliminator%20engine.JPG
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/eliminator%20dash.JPG

Washed Ashore
09-09-2006, 09:33 AM
The other thing I forgot to mention,I installed a water ballast tank.The tank holds 230 lbs. of water and is all the way in front,I have not used it.The thought was to add weight to the front to change the CG.
Jeff

CornWater
09-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Any more contact info? Photos? year of this boat? THere is some good info. here.
I am trying to get him to do a two seat F26/26 Daytona with the motor moved up. Like a ski/race boat. Like a old 19' Daytona drag boat but a 26' instead. #6 with a big inch PSI motor.
Andy
If you can get ahold of some old Hot Boat magazines, it was the cover boat quite a few years ago. White gel with blue graphics, and yellow just on the very tips of the sponsons. Saw the boat in Havi a long time ago, and it was bad ass to say the least.

x7734x
09-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Andy
Here is the boat trader ad.
http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?77605183

kanedog
09-10-2006, 04:38 AM
Thanks for posting the pics spectras! I haven't been boating for a while so it makes me get all goose bumpy and boaty feely.
I have a 26 daytona with a #6 drive. I am happy with the reliability as I was going thru drives like beer. Im not waiting for the loud BANG! coming from the back of the boat anymore.
If you are building, keep the motor as far back in the boat as possible when you are rigging/planning.
A downside is that props are non existent as a single and the pitch you need. You have make a great guess at pitch and diameter and then pay herring or merc 5k to manufacture your best guess!
My daytona doesnt ride as bow high as before the #6 but with full fuel and passengers in the back it airs out better. The ride is still great! When you get your prop made, get them to bulid it for more bow rise and this may help. I don't mind one bit cuz I have saved over the long run with not buying/rebuilding 4 drives a summer.
C of G is affected of course because the motor has to move forward to accept the tranny. Mine came frwd 10".
Would I do it again?yes
What would I do different?put a #6 in the first time.
Was it worth it? yes
Will the #6 get you laid? yes
Feel free to ask more questions if you think of any more!

THOR
09-10-2006, 07:36 AM
Andy,
I have personally ran with this guy and it is a rocket. Crazy fast for a 25. It is the older single step version of the daytona too. I dont really know what that means.
it is a 1998
here is the add
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/3/77605183.htm
http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/3689024/77605183_1.jpg
http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/3689024/77605183_3.jpg

JMC
09-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Here is the boat trader ad.
http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?77605183
Does anyone know where you can get a flame arrestor cover like that?

LUVNLIFE
09-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Does anyone know where you can get a flame arrestor cover like that?
Any upholstry shop or boat cover shop should be able to whip you one up.

supremeWAXer
09-11-2006, 06:11 PM
that 25 daytona i think held the record for a while fastest single engine boat ran 144 i think it was in hot boat anyone else see that

andy01
09-11-2006, 07:06 PM
that 25 daytona i think held the record for a while fastest single engine boat ran 144 i think it was in hot boat anyone else see that
Wrong boat, the 144 boat was blue and yellow, but flamed. Had a 4x4 drive on it. And after the 144 runs the motor was pulled and a 600hp motor went in it. The boat had handling problems because it was set up for the 1,600hp that pushed it to 144. I don't know what it was, it was in a shop in Havasu and they couldn't get it to roll over on plane right because the of the stand off box or something. i don't remember what it was about the motor being smaller. BT said the 144 boat would have gone faster but it didn't feel right, if I remember right.
Andy

Charley
09-11-2006, 11:20 PM
I'm a post *****!!!