PDA

View Full Version : Dog attacks

Kim Hanson
09-07-2006, 09:20 PM
I have had a good friend of mine attacked by a Akita dog, he is 13 years old and I really want for you do join this site and vote to put the dog down, all the damage was done to the face ..........( . )( . )........here is the link.......
Dog Destroy (http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?t=3715) :cool:
Please help me here people, I won't pick on anyone of you people anymore :cool: , okay, I will give you some breaks.........I need alot of help fast...... :cool:

YeLLowBoaT
09-07-2006, 09:23 PM
That dog would be dead. I would even save the cost of having put down. 12 ga does the job very well.

HCS
09-07-2006, 09:26 PM
That dog would be dead. I would even save the cost of having put down. 12 ga does the job very well.
Do you have all your paint materials ready? :)

Kim Hanson
09-07-2006, 09:28 PM
I will be posting there as soon as they send me my activation key........( . )( . )........... :cool: :crossx: :mad:

YeLLowBoaT
09-07-2006, 09:29 PM
no just the primer and base white.

HCS
09-07-2006, 09:32 PM
no just the primer and base white.
I read your post in the other thread. So, can I drink beer with Her454 while you paint?
Kinda hard to drink with the mask on, but I'll get around it. :rolleyes:

YeLLowBoaT
09-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Sounds like a plan to me... I figure I can get the bottom primerd and blocked down sat... If I am in a good mood I might just start shooting some base.

Tom Brown
09-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Shit. :(
Thanks for posting this, Kim.
That friend of yours is a friend of the forum too. Jr. is a fantastic guy, as are his parents. I hope he is OK.

HCS
09-07-2006, 09:45 PM
That friend of yours is a friend of the forum too. Jr. is a fantastic guy, as are his parents. I hope he is OK.
Sorry to get off track with YeLLowBoat Tom.. :chi:
No humor intended to any post. Just touching base.
I pray that all turns out good! Kim Hanson, no disrespect at all.
HCS.

unleashed
09-07-2006, 09:52 PM
I registered to vote but never got a confirmation e-mail?? Hope the kid ends up ok.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

Kim Hanson
09-07-2006, 09:55 PM
That is really bad Tom and we need people to register and vote on the link I put up, Jr. is a cool kid.........( . )( . )...............He has dreams of cars and painting, not some play toy for some fockin dog...I say kill the focker......( . )( . )..........Marcy agree's with me on this with Bryce......... :crossx:

Kim Hanson
09-07-2006, 09:56 PM
I registered to vote but never got a confirmation e-mail?? Hope the kid ends up ok.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:
I'm still waiting for mine also, the fockers............( . )( . )............ :mad:

Tom Brown
09-07-2006, 09:58 PM
My confirmation came right away.
I feel terrible for dego red's family. I'm going to call him right now. :(

Trailer Park Casanova
09-07-2006, 10:00 PM
The girl who cuts my hair, her pit bull bit off her 11 year olds upper lip and nose.
So much for the "only the mis treated one are vicious" arguement.

Tom Brown
09-07-2006, 10:05 PM
That bullshit came from toothpick boy. I don't think many, other than fellow pitbull owners, put a lot of stock in it.
"... but look at how sweet he is? He'd never hurt a fly. If he snaps and kills a child one day... well... then I guess I'll be wrong. Oh well... easy come, easy go. "

Kim Hanson
09-07-2006, 10:06 PM
My confirmation came right away.
I feel terrible for dego red's family. I'm going to call him right now. :(
I just got mine after 30 minutes........posted already.............Marcy's is in the AM.........( . )( . )...........I used Marcy's email the second time :p

Kim Hanson
09-07-2006, 10:24 PM
I am asking for help here, please give some please.....Or I will hunt you down.............( . )( . ).............. :crossx:

Kim Hanson
09-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Imagine if your kid was mauled by a dog, vote on this it's imprtant up here........( . )( . )............. :)

MudPumper
09-08-2006, 01:49 AM
My wife and I had a black lab/pit mix for 4 years. We got it as a puppy and he was never mistreated. He was perfectly gentle with us but you could not take him on a walk without him trying to eat any other animal outside. When he was in the back yard, he would even chase birds that flew overhead. Anyway, he was extremely aggressive around other animals and one time tried to go after a little girl while he was tied to the tree in the front yard. He was an excellent guard dog and made us feel great at home as I work at night and my wife is home alone. I used to call him The Monster and it was a perfectly fitting name for him. To make a long story short, we put him down for liability reasons. We loved him to pieces and he was a perfect dog as long as he stayed in the house or back yard. Problem was he could not be trusted around kids or other animals and if he was ever to get out in the neighborhood, forget it. I'm not losing the house over the dog.

ratso
09-08-2006, 05:49 AM
I think there needs to be strict laws on some of these types of dogs and their owners. Breeding should stop completely and massive fines should be put on anyone that is still breeding them. I loved my dogs (Chows) but a lot of these should just be put down until the population is choked out completely.

lewiville
09-08-2006, 06:02 AM
my brother has two Akitas. I hate thme with a passion. He has two little kids as well 5 and 3. My mom has been over there before and there is one that has nipped at her a couple of times and my brother still keeps the fricken dogs

OGShocker
09-08-2006, 06:25 AM
Tom & Kim,
Please pass on our thoughts and prayers to the Dego Reds.
A few years ago, a friend's son was attacked by their Akita. The dog went straight for the face of this (at the time) four year old boy. 140 plus stitches to close the wounds on his face, arms and neck.
When my friend arrived home, the police had the dog locked up in his garage. He walked past the LEOs into the garage and choked the dog to death without a second thought. No one said a word.
The boy is fine now. He started the 9th grade last week. Apart from a few (hard to notice) scars and recurring nightmares, he has recovered nicely.
This attack taught me the "there are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners" line is straight up unmitigated bullshit!

TAF
09-08-2006, 06:49 AM
I have had a good friend of mine attacked by a Akita dog, he is 13 years old and I really want for you do join this site and vote to put the dog down, all the damage was done to the face ..........( . )( . )........here is the link.......
Dog Destroy (http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?t=3715) :cool:
Please help me here people, I won't pick on anyone of you people anymore :cool: , okay, I will give you some breaks.........I need alot of help fast...... :cool:
Yes, them Akita's are nasty! I was bit by a big black one on the jaw near my ear back in 1988 on that island near Dicovery Bay, CA. My sis was w/ me and said I should have the 3" bite sewn up. NOT! just drink more. I skied like crap that evening and danced w/ a trash can. Fond memories! The same dog tried to bite me again 2 days later. The owner ended up having it put down when it went after his wife and baby.
I'm sorry to hear about your friend and hope he recovers fully.
Later,
Scarred for life

MudPumper
09-08-2006, 06:56 AM
In the city where I work, I have noticed an increase in calls for service regarding Pit Bulls. A lot of the bangers have them and walk them on the street thinking it will keep us from contacting them. Think again because I know none of us would hesitate to cap one if it got aggressive. Just a few weeks ago we got a call of 2 pits that were loose and had attacked a blind guy walking on the street with his service dog. One of the pits got pepper sprayed and the other got shot in the side with the 40mm less lethal round. The dog would have been shot with a lethal round but there were people in the background and the officer recognized this. Animal Control ultimatley cought them and took them away. Anyway, I don't see any reason for the existence of Pits. They were bread for one reason and one reason only. The should all be outlawed and destroyed.

OGShocker
09-08-2006, 07:00 AM
Imagine if your kid was mauled by a dog, vote on this it's imprtant up here........( . )( . )............. :)
Vote casted, comment made. I felt this to be imprtant too! :D

dego red
09-08-2006, 07:43 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments. The thing that I can't believe is that these people that own the dog have refused to put it down.....
red

topless
09-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments. The thing that I can't believe is that these people that own the dog have refused to put it down.....
redHope he gets well soon. I just posted over there and this infuriated me that the dog isn't dead yet. A little rat poison might be in order here.

RiverDave
09-08-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your son Dego Red. :( Dog attacks are never a good thing.
I'll say I disagree with just about everything said in this thread, but then again I was attacked by a black lab on one occasion when I was about Dego's sons age. Attacked by ANOTHER black lab when I was 16 - 17. In both instances I'm not talking "bit" but rather the dog biting out of the blue, and then going into full fledge crazy, no one home, attack mode. I've had 2 friends that owned the most mellow golden retrievers you'd ever see, and both of them got older and attacked somebody as well.
My neighbor in the keys was flat out mauled by a Golden Retriever that jumped into his golf kart as he was driving by.. (I can't remember how many stitches now, but it went all the way across his chest for a good 2') That particular dog lived it's whole life (another older golden) in the keys and golf karts weren't exactly something new to the dog so the "spooked" excuse doesn't fly.
Just out of curiosity How did this thread become about pits again? I thought this was an akita that attacked. People are flat brain washed when it comes to this stuff. (Especially you Brown) They think Akita = pit how? Their not even remotely close to the same breed of dog? Not that it much matters though becuase..
Dogs are dogs is the bottom line. If the theory is any dog that shows any aggression should be put down, then the cocker spaniel breed would be long gone, and most the other ankle biter breeds would be as well damn near from the get go.
By the way Brown, just becuase a dog wasn't "abused" doesn't mean the owner is a responsible pet owner! You can be nice as can be to a dog and it'll turn out mean as hell. Next door neighbors had an alaskan husky that they just fed and let run wild. It bit several kids in the neighborhood, and attacked several small dogs. It was never abused or "beaten" or taught how to fight. It just wasn't taught anything, and had no "rules" to live by.
In the dogs eyes if it believes it's higher in the pack then other people or "guests" then your going to have problems no matter what the breed is the point, and it's not arguable one way or the other. It's a fact! If it was breed dependant, then certain breeds would never bite.. They all bite, some inflict more damage. From the looks of the picture his son will be ok that's the important thing. The point I would make is that same thing could've happened with a golden, lab, shepard, husky, pitbull, akita, chow, poodle, etc.. It wasn't even a "pit" and already you can see how many times people have associated a pit with this unfortunate event.
Whether or not the dog should be put down or not is a whole different issue. I don't know, nor would I pretend to make a judgement call that's going to end a companions life (think about your own dog here for a second) based on the info in this thread. At a minimum I'd say there's a serious problem there though, and they need to atleast go talk to some pet experts about what happened, why it happened, and how to make sure it never happens again etc. Or perhaps it does need to be put down. I don't know, I'm just some guy on the internet, not a judge or a jury.
ToothpickBoy

Her454
09-08-2006, 09:54 AM
RD (or Toothpick boy, whatever you prefer today),
Your loyalty to the Pit Bull breed is fierce, as it seems most owners are. We have gone round and round on this subject for as long as I can remember and the argument is still the same. It does not matter what f'ng breed it is, if it MAULS or KILLS a child the son of a bitch should be put down, period. The difference is the fact that Pits do more damage than most any other dog with one single bite and they are a mother ****er to get loose from whatever they've decided to attach their teeth too. That is the basis for the publicity surrounding their attacks and the resulting damage.
I understand the loyalty to the breed, the love for animals and all the other crap - I love my dogs too. But I have one (austrailian shepherd) that guards my house and would die for me but I don't let him around kids and god forbid he ever bite and seriously hurt a child I'll be short one less dog.

RiverDave
09-08-2006, 10:04 AM
RD (or Toothpick boy, whatever you prefer today),
Your loyalty to the Pit Bull breed is fierce, as it seems most owners are. We have gone round and round on this subject for as long as I can remember and the argument is still the same. It does not matter what f'ng breed it is, if it MAULS or KILLS a child the son of a bitch should be put down, period. The difference is the fact that Pits do more damage than most any other dog with one single bite and they are a mother ****er to get loose from whatever they've decided to attach their teeth too. That is the basis for the publicity surrounding their attacks, the resulting damage.
I understand the loyalty to the breed, the love for animals and all the other crap - I love my dogs too. But I have one (austrailian shepherd) that I don't let around kids and god forbid he ever bite and seriously hurt a child I'll be short one less dog.
Now lets talk about this for a second. 1st off, we're not talking about pits. (Pit didn't attack his kid, an Akita did) So my loyalty to the breed not witholding, has nothing to do with what were talking about.
We're talking about a dog, that attacked a child. People have turned it into a breed specific thing, when trying to understand why the dog bit the child. Fact of the matter is though, all breeds of dogs bite. There's pits that have lived there whole lives without ever hurting or showing any signs of aggression, and theirs toy poodles that have attacked infants.
My point is that you can't make it breed specific. You should find out what caused it and fix it. I hate to make an example out of you, but I'm going too.
You claim to have a dog that you know would bite a child! My question to you is, what have you done to correct that problem? Simply seperating the dog at every turn isn't solving your problem, and one day there will come a time when the dog comes in contact with a child. Dog bites a child and there ya go, now you have serious problems. Hell if it was a pitbull everyone can tell you how evil your dog was from the get go, and what a bad person you are too. Realistically you are being an irresponsible pet owner right now, by not trying to fix the problem, and you are postponing the inevitable! :(
Don't read that wrong, I'm not questioning your love for your dogs.. I'm sure you love them and treat them well, but are you doing your dog the favor of doing a little reading and talking to some people and solving the problem from the get go? Any dog short of being mentally ill, can be taught to be nice or mean. Sometimes they can learn negative traits by ACCIDENT.
What people don't understand is THEY ARE NOT HUMAN, THEY DON'T THINK LIKE A HUMAN, AND NO MATTER HOW MUCH WE WANT THEM TO BE, THEY NEVER CAN BE HUMAN. We as humans are the smarter of the too, therefore we have to learn their psychology, and then in turn learn how to educate them as dogs with practices that they will understand and retain, and then reinforce those things consistently.
People say "He was always nice, and it just came out of the blue one day" I don't believe that to be true in most cases. In most cases the dogs are giving the owners signs that they need help, but are being ignored. Owning a dog (any kind of dog) is a huge responsibillity, and I think alot of people (not you Her454, just people in general) take that responsibillity to lightly. Then when shit happens it's easier to blame the dog, or in some cases the breed, for the owner ignoring (or to lazy to learn) what the dog has been saying all along.
If your dog can't be with other dogs, there's problems (fixable problems), if your dog can't be with kids (there's problems), if your dog _________ . The dog is trying to tell you something, listen, educate yourself, then educate the mutt, and things will go amazingly smoother.
RD

ChumpChange
09-08-2006, 10:22 AM
About six months ago, somebody I know walked out the back of the house and a stray Pit(Sorry RD to be breed specific) that got into the back yard charged L*** with teeth showing. L**** was able to knock over a patio chair in order to give himself time to get back into the house.
He then opened up the back door once again and when he did, the dog charged him again. This time, L**** dropped to one knee and put a hollow-point right through the dogs chest. Dog will never attack somebody again. The reason why action was taken in this way is becauase contractors were coming to the house within the next ten minutes, L*** was leaving the house and didn't need this dog attacking anybody who came onto our property and then suing us for having some dog running around.
After the police came, the owners of the dog came by and gave the "he was such a loving dog" speach and started yelling. L****, an insurance investigator for some thirty years, having thousands of pictures of dog bite victims from Home Owners Insurance claims, told him he'd show him the pictures of all the "loving dogs" to which they declined. It is amazing how many dogs attack, not just Pits. All of them do.
What is more amazing is how many rights that people give to animals and not humans. L*** was getting sued by animal rights activists that stated he needed to be bitten prior to action. What the heck? Are these people insane? They're ANIMALS!!! PETA needs to kick rocks.
Since when do animals have more rights than humans?

Her454
09-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Now lets talk about this for a second. 1st off, we're not talking about pits. (Pit didn't attack his kid, an Akita did) So my loyalty to the breed not witholding, has nothing to do with what were talking about.
We're talking about a dog, that attacked a child. People have turned it into a breed specific thing, when trying to understand why the dog bit the child. Fact of the matter is though, all breeds of dogs bite. There's pits that have lived there whole lives without ever hurting or showing any signs of aggression, and theirs toy poodles that have attacked infants. .
RD, I am not arguing that people turn most dog attacks into a breed issue. Thats obvious. My argument was why. Again, people remember the worst of a bad event and Pit Bull attacks are usually the ones with the most damage and the ones you hear about for that very reason. Fair, maybe not.
My point is that you can't make it breed specific. You should find out what caused it and fix it. I hate to make an example out of you, but I'm going too.
You claim to have a dog that you know would bite a child! My question to you is, what have you done to correct that problem? Simply seperating the dog at every turn isn't solving your problem, and one day there will come a time when the dog comes in contact with a child. Dog bites a child and there ya go, now you have serious problems. Hell if it was a pitbull everyone can tell you how evil your dog was from the get go, and what a bad person you are too. Realistically you are being an irresponsible pet owner right now, by not trying to fix the problem, and you are postponing the inevitable! :(
Don't read that wrong, I'm not questioning your love for your dogs.. I'm sure you love them and treat them well, but are you doing your dog the favor of doing a little reading and talking to some people and solving the problem from the get go? Any dog short of being mentally ill, can be taught to be nice or mean. Sometimes they can learn negative traits by ACCIDENT.
People say "He was always nice, and it just came out of the blue one day" I don't believe that to be true in most cases. In most cases the dogs are giving the owners signs that they need help, but are being ignored.
RD, the dog I have that I do not allow around children has been trained very well, as all of my animals. The dog was hit by a car and not taken care of properly by a vet when it happened. As a result of no care, he was left with a bad front leg so essentially has only three legs. Unfortunatly there was nothing I could do when I got him but to keep him comfortable as he is also an old dog, however he is now very skiddish around kids as they want to "see whats wrong with his leg" or "love on him" and they hurt him without realizing it. I dont trust that he wouldnt bite out of trying to protect that leg. I keep him at home. I do not let him around kids and I put him up when there are small children around. Irrisponsible pet owner? I suppose some would view it that way but I feel I AM doing something about it by recognizing the fact he has that potential and be pro-active. And if he were a Pit, I'd probably be burnt at the stake by now for still letting him breath.
I completely agree with your statement that most cases are ignored when they saw signs and did NOTHING to prevent a bite, attack or otherwise.
Basically we are on the same page except that I get a strong feeling if Neva were to bite someone, even a child, you might be more prone to find a reason to blame someone other than Neva and keep her around in spite of her aggression? I could be wrong, but thats my perception. Personally I am more scared of Pits and it was a Shepherd that bit me when I was young. Makes no sense except for the the fact I've seen so much more publicity surrounding the damage from the Pit attacks. I think another thing that enrages the general public toward Pits (and their owners) are the ones we read about and see on the news and the owners are not willing to take responsibility for the dog, make excuses and have the dogs (a large percentage) for "aggressive reasons". That could mean anything from wanting to be a Barney Badass with a Pit by your side and/or just owning them to fight. Neither of which are good reasons to own ANY animal in my opinion.

syke-o
09-08-2006, 10:42 AM
In the city where I work, I have noticed an increase in calls for service regarding Pit Bulls. A lot of the bangers have them and walk them on the street thinking it will keep us from contacting them. Think again because I know none of us would hesitate to cap one if it got aggressive. Just a few weeks ago we got a call of 2 pits that were loose and had attacked a blind guy walking on the street with his service dog. One of the pits got pepper sprayed and the other got shot in the side with the 40mm less lethal round. The dog would have been shot with a lethal round but there were people in the background and the officer recognized this. Animal Control ultimatley cought them and took them away. Anyway, I don't see any reason for the existence of Pits. They were bread for one reason and one reason only. The should all be outlawed and destroyed.
what a lame statement... :rolleyes: i have the english version of a pit bull, and dont need the govt stepping on any more of my personal rights and telling me my dog needs to put to sleep because of ignorant azzholes like you

Havasu Cig
09-08-2006, 11:37 AM
The girl who cuts my hair, her pit bull bit off her 11 year olds upper lip and nose.
I have owned pits for 20 years and they are truly one of the best breeds out there. If you knew anything about the breed you would know that they do not make good guard dogs because they are not naturally aggresive towards humans. When they were in the pit any dog that showed aggresion towards humans were put down. I was in Law Enforcement for 11 years and was bit by and had to shoot one dog, but I never had any problems with Pits. Loyal, Tough loving dogs. There are many good books out there about the breed, you should do some reading and find out what the breed is truly about. The ones I got calls on (when I was in L.E.) were either mixes, or not even pits at all.
BTW, I find it kind of funny that the people that I have heard the most negative comments about Pit's from have never even had much contact, if any with one. They here stories and repeat what they have heard. I have had people petting my dogs telling me how cool they are and when they find out they are pits they are shocked. Kind of funny when they had an opinion about a breed and can not even identify one when they are petting it until they are told. :rolleyes:

Havasu Cig
09-08-2006, 11:46 AM
....And the dog I had to kill that attacked me was a golden retriever, lab, shepard mix. It took Three .40 rounds to the chest to stop it. I tried to get away after the initial bite and the dog continued the attack. I guess these breed should be outlawed as well. :rolleyes:

RiverDave
09-08-2006, 11:53 AM
RD, I am not arguing that people turn most dog attacks into a breed issue. Thats obvious. My argument was why. Again, people remember the worst of a bad event and Pit Bull attacks are usually the ones with the most damage and the ones you hear about for that very reason. Fair, maybe not.
They have the potential to inflict serious damage, but a golden retriever vs a 5 year old really isn't that much different all things considered. Media has blown the fight dog thing up to the point of ridiculous, and now people are terrified of something they know nothing about. I can tell you a perfect example of that, that actually happened to myself and my dog in my old neighborhood.
I remember I was talking to a lady in the street and her kid was petting Neva. After about 5 minutes she gets around to asking what kind of dog she was. So I told her she's 3/4 pit and 1/4 chow. That lady reached out and yanked her kid away so fast that it actually kinda spooked me. Neva was laying on the ground cowering thinking she was going to get hit for doing something wrong, I took about 2 steps back not even knowing what just happened.. She had this look of shock and horror in her face to which I had to respond "What the hell is the matter with you?" She went on with the whole "Their mean dogs" bit.. I couldn't hardly believe what I just saw. A dog is absolutely fine and "cute" until you put a label on it? That's how brainwashed people are with regards to the word "Pitbull." Now when people ask what kind of dog is she I always say "A cute dog." If they really want to know later, I'll tell them the breed and usually they are shocked and amazed and how different being with one up close and personal is, to what they thought it would be.
RD, the dog I have that I do not allow around children has been trained very well, as all of my animals. The dog was hit by a car and not taken care of properly by a vet when it happened. As a result of no care, he was left with a bad front leg so essentially has only three legs. Unfortunatly there was nothing I could do when I got him but to keep him comfortable as he is also an old dog, however he is now very skiddish around kids as they want to "see whats wrong with his leg" or "love on him" and they hurt him without realizing it. I dont trust that he wouldnt bite out of trying to protect that leg. I keep him at home. I do not let him around kids and I put him up when there are small children around. Irrisponsible pet owner? I suppose some would view it that way but I feel I AM doing something about it by recognizing the fact he has that potential and be pro-active. And if he were a Pit, I'd probably be burnt at the stake by now for still letting him breath.
I knew this was going to come back and bite me in the ass.. :D couldn't just be a crazy dog, but rather a 3 legged mutt, that kids can potentially hurt by over loving, or sending it weird attention due to the uniqueness etc. Well I'd say in that case Her454, you have an anomoly, not necesarily the case scenario I was meaning to describe when somebody is ignoring the warning signs.
I completely agree with your statement that most cases are ignored when they saw signs and did NOTHING to prevent a bite, attack or otherwise.
Exactly.. Most people think I'm talking about growling. The signs I'm referring too are years of little things that add up to an event.
Basically we are on the same page except that I get a strong feeling if Neva were to bite someone, even a child, you might be more prone to find a reason to blame someone other than Neva and keep her around in spite of her aggression?
If my dog bit somebody for no apparent reason the only person who would be at fault for that would be me. I don't even think I'd blame the dog for it, becuase obviously I did something wrong to cause the situation by not looking out for her. I'd strongly differentiate between "mauled" and bit though. Dego's kid was bitten in the face. (Not taking anything away from it, becuase I'm well aware.. very well aware of how much that sux) that's not being "mauled." Mauled is on a whole different level.
I could be wrong, but thats my perception. Personally I am more scared of Pits and it was a Shepherd that bit me when I was young. Makes no sense except for the the fact I've seen so much more publicity surrounding the damage from the Pit attacks. I think another thing that enrages the general public toward Pits (and their owners) are the ones we read about and see on the news and the owners are not willing to take responsibility for the dog, make excuses and have the dogs (a large percentage) for "aggressive reasons". That could mean anything from wanting to be a Barney Badass with a Pit by your side and/or just owning them to fight. Neither of which are good reasons to own ANY animal in my opinion.
A pure bred pit is a scary looking animal no doubt, even if they are a mellow dog the "capabillity" is there. My dog isn't a pure bred, and IMO really doesn't look all that "scary." Stacy gets stopped all the time when she's walking her from people saying "That's a beautiful dog, what kind is it?" while sticking there face right in her nose.. Not exactly "striking fear into the hearts of men" with mine.. ;) She can throw down if needs be though, so I figure I kinda got the best of both worlds. She doesn't look scary, but I know she can take care of business if there was an intruder, other animal, etc..
RD

RiverDave
09-08-2006, 11:57 AM
I have owned pits for 20 years and they are truly one of the best breeds out there. If you knew anything about the breed you would know that they do not make good guard dogs because they are not naturally aggresive towards humans. When they were in the pit any dog that showed aggresion towards humans were put down. I was in Law Enforcement for 11 years and was bit by and had to shoot one dog, but I never had any problems with Pits. Loyal, Tough loving dogs. There are many good books out there about the breed, you should do some reading and find out what the breed is truly about. The ones I got calls on (when I was in L.E.) were either mixes, or not even pits at all.
BTW, I find it kind of funny that the people that I have heard the most negative comments about Pit's from have never even had much contact, if any with one. They here stories and repeat what they have heard. I have had people petting my dogs telling me how cool they are and when they find out they are pits they are shocked. Kind of funny when they had an opinion about a breed and can not even identify one when they are petting it until they are told. :rolleyes:
LMAO, you typed your post up before I got mine up.. But in having owned several of them I can almost count weekly how many times that happens. :D
"man what a great dog you have there.. good looking dog. What kind is it?"
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I look at it as an opportunity though for someone to experience these "horrible" "evil" dogs 1st hand though.. Not much gets that image out of their head though. I've heard people say "Well Dave's dog is nice, but all other pitbulls....." LOL.. I just sit there shaking my head. :(
RD

DILLIGAF
09-08-2006, 12:43 PM
My ex has a purebred lab that has caused my grandson to recoil at even a stuffed dog. When he did this at my house I asked my son WTF was going on with Brandon (my grandson). Well, it seems ol' Duke (the lab) at the ex's house has growled at my little grandson a few times. They don't think it is a big deal, however I do. They do now keep them seperated when Brandon comes over but if that dog ever does anything to my grandson there will be some hell to pay :(
In the mean time I have been having Brandon get to know the dogs in my "hood" that are very nice. He seems to be getting over this fear at this time.
I have had dogs all my life but one thing is simple....If they go and attack someone in an unprovoked manner they are gone. Animal -vs- human is a very easy choice for me.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Ya got my vote Kim.

Jbb
09-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Sorry to hear about your boy Dego.... :frown:
Kill the dog....

ratso
09-08-2006, 12:54 PM
We were at Puddingstone this morning, the wife launching the boat, and all the Robin Hoods came over to help Maid Marian launch.
One of the guys let us try the "Digital, cable-less fly by wire throttle/shifter on his boat.
Nice,, though the Mercury cable style are very good too, no arguement there, I think this just meight be the up and coming thing.
Nice.
I'll make sure our next boat has it.
Pretty cool set up.
lmao...wrong thread TPC?

Trailer Park Casanova
09-08-2006, 01:00 PM
lmao...wrong thread TPC?
Ahh shit,, I've been drinking beer all morning, what day is it Ratso???,, thanks,

centerhill condor
09-08-2006, 01:00 PM
How we ever got to requiring a vote to "put down" a child attacker is a perversion of democratic rule. We should vote to "put down" the owners!

Her454
09-08-2006, 01:03 PM
lmao...wrong thread TPC?
LMAO I was thinking WTH? Retirement is getting the best of him LOL.

FMluvswater
09-08-2006, 01:06 PM
The dog that attacked red's son needs to be euthanised, IMO. I registered at that link you posted, Sugar and I voted.

RiverDave
09-08-2006, 02:13 PM
My ex has a purebred lab that has caused my grandson to recoil at even a stuffed dog. When he did this at my house I asked my son WTF was going on with Brandon (my grandson). Well, it seems ol' Duke (the lab) at the ex's house has growled at my little grandson a few times. They don't think it is a big deal, however I do. They do now keep them seperated when Brandon comes over but if that dog ever does anything to my grandson there will be some hell to pay :(
In the mean time I have been having Brandon get to know the dogs in my "hood" that are very nice. He seems to be getting over this fear at this time.
I have had dogs all my life but one thing is simple....If they go and attack someone in an unprovoked manner they are gone. Animal -vs- human is a very easy choice for me.
Right there is the warning signs I was talking about. Seperating them isn't going to solve the issue they have. Sooner or later that dog will be around a kid in an innocent setting and whamo.. We've got another thread on ***boat. If they aren't trying to rectify that problem, then IMO they are a part of the problem. :(
Falls back to that irresponsible pet owner deal. When that lab does attack, I again wouldn't blame the dog, but the owners for knowing about it and doing nothing. (It's not a big deal)
RD

DILLIGAF
09-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Right there is the warning signs I was talking about. Seperating them isn't going to solve the issue they have. Sooner or later that dog will be around a kid in an innocent setting and whamo.. We've got another thread on ***boat. If they aren't trying to rectify that problem, then IMO they are a part of the problem. :(
Falls back to that irresponsible pet owner deal. When that lab does attack, I again wouldn't blame the dog, but the owners for knowing about it and doing nothing. (It's not a big deal)
RD
No argument there RD. This dog has run their house for so long it's silly. I am sure it is a jealousy thing. The ex isn't going to get rid of the dog, he is old and won't live much longer IMO. Seperating them at this point is the best thing under the circumstances.
If he does bite the grandkid it will be awfully ugly from my standpoint. No if, ands or buts. I can't control the environment there.

MudPumper
09-08-2006, 02:26 PM
what a lame statement... :rolleyes: i have the english version of a pit bull, and dont need the govt stepping on any more of my personal rights and telling me my dog needs to put to sleep because of ignorant azzholes like you
It's my personal opinion, I'm entitled to it. But anyway, thanks for telling me I'm lame and calling me an ignorant asshole, just becaus you don't agree with me. Real mature.
The origins of the breed can be traced back to antiquity and the Molossian family of dogs. The Molossian family of dogs bears the name of the people with whom they were most often associated - the Molossi tribe, a group of people who lived in ancient Greece and favored the use of robust, muscular dogs in warfare. Officially termed canus molossi (dogs of the Molossi), these animals were reknowned for their fierceness, and for their innate ability to intimidate the enemies of the tribe. When the Roman emperor Claudius defeated the Briton Chief Caractacus in 50 AD, the powerful pugnaces piqued his interest. He quickly seized on the opportunity and began exporting select quantities of the dogs back home to satiate his countrymen's appetite for entertainment in the arenas and coliseums of Rome.
Once in Rome, the British dogs were crossbred with their Roman counterparts. From the years 50 AD to 410 AD, the breed was widely disseminated throughout the Roman Empire for use as fighting dogs. Along the way they mixed with other indigenous breeds throughout Europe, creating a genetic melting pot for the bulldogs that are thought to have been the immediate antecedents of the American Pit Bull Terrier.
Sadly, the Romans would not be the last to use pit bulls in cruel and grisly blood sports. When the Normans invaded England in 1066, they introduced a new sport called baiting. Interestingly enough, baiting originated with butchers who kept dogs (called Bullenbeissers) to handle unruly bulls as they were herded to the market for slaughter. When a bull stepped out of line or exhibited uncontrollable behavior, the dogs would clamp down on its nose and simply hang on until the handler could regain control of the wayward animal.
Ultimately the public's fickle gaze fell on the sport of dog fighting, primarily because it could be more easily hidden from the prying eyes of the law than baiting and other fighting sports. Since dog fighting required smaller and more agile animals than the ones that were used in baiting, fighting bulldogs were bred with terriers who were known for their feistiness and indefatigable focus. The result was the bull-and-terrier, more commonly known as the first pit bull terrier - a muscular, canine gladiator bred specifically for combat with other dogs.
Now who is the lame ignorant one??????

topless
09-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Now who is the lame ignorant one??????
You forgot azzhole. :crossx:

seanv
09-08-2006, 04:02 PM
ya know, i've put dog's down. not easy to do as i hold them in my family as a full member. the last was a great lil dog. she was a queensland mix and from day one was around my daughter. the bond was so strong that any male that got near my daughter got a growl then bark unless they backed off. it was fantastic considering the way predetors go after kids.my daughter was very resposible about leashing her and made me feel more secure about her going to the park.
then the heart break came. the damn dog dug out..(my fault for not pouring cement sooner.) she got after the neighbor and tore his jeans. had to put her down. tears and all. the neighbor has told me several times how he wishes i hadnt done that but....
if he was in my back yard and got bit shel'd still be here. just my $.02

dego red
09-08-2006, 04:30 PM
I have some very good friends that had the most beautiful Belgian Shepard named "Spazz". He was just huge, and a big cuddly loving dog. One day Spazz nipped the butt of a young girl, no blood or stitches, and my friends did the painful right thing and had him put down.......Now these folks have a dog that is now deemed dangerous, and still they won't do whats right. I'll bet if their kid had his face chewed up it would be different. Or maybe not...just seems to be a lot of very ingnorant people around these days. I don't know where it will go from here as the media wants to get in on it. So we'll see..
red

topless
09-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Growing up we had the best German Shepard in the world. She used to play with all the neighborhood kids. This dog was never aggressive at all. Anyway, we had a garage sale once and my Mom sold my little sisters tricycle that was handed down from my younger brother to the other younger brother. The dog was in the garage with all these people coming in and out and just layed there but as soon as she saw this man taking the tricycle, she ran to his car and bit him on the ass. Back then it was funny because she was being protective. Today animal contol would have taken her away, deemed her vicious, had her put to sleep and my parents would have has a big ass lawsuit on their hands.
There is a difference but in this case, the dog is vicious and should be put down.

Tom Brown
09-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Please pass on our thoughts and prayers to the Dego Reds.
Thanks, Mark.

Rexone
09-08-2006, 06:58 PM
I agree with RD and having been around many breeds of dogs all my life and studying training techniques and methods I have to say most dogs can be controlled and trained out of any aggression regardless of breed. There are exceptions as in everything. Those exceptions are not necessarily limited to breeds that the media portrays as aggressive either. Small breeds statistically are more aggressive than large breeds. But as we all know the large breeds do more damage so they get the media attention.
Some dogs are aggressive from hormones and gene makeup, some from abusive or aggressive treatment or training, still others are aggressive out of fear, their way of covering up the fear. Most can be rehabilitated into decent canine citizens in a human world if enough effort is put forth by the owner (which too many times never happens).
But the responsibility lies with the owner to read the warning signs and proactively take action to correct the dogs behavior before it becomes a problem. As RD said dogs don't think like people and never will. They are simple minded creatures that live in a "now" world and respond to pack leadership (in this case the owner being the pack leader rather than the dog, and respected as such in the dogs mind). If the dog is allowed to make the rules or perform certain behaviors that's unacceptable in their environment you're going to have a problem with that dog at some point. One of the first signs of aggression is often passive growling. Some owners ignore it as nothing or think its cute or the dog just being protective. Far from it most cases and it needs to be nipped right in the bud. If the owner doesn't establish he or she is the pack leader right then and there and impress upon the dog that it's not acceptable behavior that dog, regardless of breed will end up showing aggression either to other dogs or people or both down the road. In the end it's the uneducated dog owner that is responsible for 99% of dog bite and aggression problems. Many dog owners don't know the signs nor the methods needed to correct behavior. Many others don't care and buy dogs as toys or status symbols.
I've owned very passive dogs and one that was very aggressive (not a Pit or breed that gets the media attn). The aggressive one was several years ago. I wish I had the knowledge I have today back then. It would have enabled me to make that dogs life much happier as well as the ones around him.
DR my condolences on your situation. And the above is not to say this Akita shouldn't be put down, only that its very likely this is the owners fault and not the dogs.

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-08-2006, 07:52 PM
waiting on my registration confirmation. You have my vote.
Our daughter as most of you know has been through the same thing.

Riverkid
09-08-2006, 08:12 PM
Growing up we had an albino shepherd who was just like a family member. He went after a neighbor that opened the back gate unannounced and bit him pretty good. My folks had him put down the next day. All us kids were pretty bitter for a long time but now I see why...
We have a single woman and her retired mom that live across from us. They have an Akita. Beautiful dog, but does not like men. At all. Lots of odd jobs helping out over there and always the dog was aggressive. No BFD until one day my wife and kids are in the middle of the cul de sac with the neighbors talking. Our golden rolls over there with his frisbee looking for a taker. Their gardener opens the side gate and out comes the Akita WFO.
He nails our dog and is chewing the heck out of him when I get there. All the girls are screaming. I get ahold of the Akita (100# +) and make him let go of my dogs neck. He bites the shiat out of me. I pick him up over my head and while I'm getting ready to toss the SOB my golden starts biting the hell out of me... Go figure.
We keep our dog tied up if out front, they do the same, and we all agreed we are not very good dog owners... :rolleyes:

Forkin' Crazy
09-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Dego, I wish your son the best.
Well, I have owned dogs for over 20 years. I have been around several pits. There are two kinds. Those that have bitten, and those who will. I had a friend that had one that was fine until you gave him eye contact. The owner would warn you too... if you make eye contact, he WILL bite you. Another owner of a pit not far from here, got severely bitten... from his own pit. The dog had never bitten anyone before. Now with the taste of blood in his mouth, he has to die. Just like this Akita. I don't like pits at all. But then I don't care for Rots either.
One rule I do know and follow to the letter, don't let kids around old dogs. I don't care the size, small or large, they don't have the temperment for children. I have seen where labs, and other dogs you would never expect, attack children, usually under the age of 7. They were old, grumpy, tired dogs, and to me were treating the children as other pups. Put a puppy with an old dog and see what happens.
Biters should be put down, period!

HCS
09-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Dego, I wish your son the best.
Well, I have owned dogs for over 20 years. I have been around several pits. There are two kinds. Those that have bitten, and those who will. I had a friend that had one that was fine until you gave him eye contact. The owner would warn you too... if you make eye contact, he WILL bite you. Another owner of a pit not far from here, got severely bitten... from his own pit. The dog had never bitten anyone before. Now with the taste of blood in his mouth, he has to die. Just like this Akita. I don't like pits at all. But then I don't care for Rots either.
One rule I do know and follow to the letter, don't let kids around old dogs. I don't care the size, small or large, they don't have the temperment for children. I have seen where labs, and other dogs you would never expect, attack children, usually under the age of 7. They were old, grumpy, tired dogs, and to me were treating the children as other pups. Put a puppy with an old dog and see what happens.
Biters should be put down, period!
Couldn't agree more.

Kim Hanson
09-08-2006, 08:54 PM
I agree with RD and having been around many breeds of dogs all my life and studying training techniques and methods I have to say most dogs can be controlled and trained out of any aggression regardless of breed. There are exceptions as in everything. Those exceptions are not necessarily limited to breeds that the media portrays as aggressive either. Small breeds statistically are more aggressive than large breeds. But as we all know the large breeds do more damage so they get the media attention.
Some dogs are aggressive from hormones and gene makeup, some from abusive or aggressive treatment or training, still others are aggressive out of fear, their way of covering up the fear. Most can be rehabilitated into decent canine citizens in a human world if enough effort is put forth by the owner (which too many times never happens).
But the responsibility lies with the owner to read the warning signs and proactively take action to correct the dogs behavior before it becomes a problem. As RD said dogs don't think like people and never will. They are simple minded creatures that live in a "now" world and respond to pack leadership (in this case the owner being the pack leader rather than the dog, and respected as such in the dogs mind). If the dog is allowed to make the rules or perform certain behaviors that's unacceptable in their environment you're going to have a problem with that dog at some point. One of the first signs of aggression is often passive growling. Some owners ignore it as nothing or think its cute or the dog just being protective. Far from it most cases and it needs to be nipped right in the bud. If the owner doesn't establish he or she is the pack leader right then and there and impress upon the dog that it's not acceptable behavior that dog, regardless of breed will end up showing aggression either to other dogs or people or both down the road. In the end it's the uneducated dog owner that is responsible for 99% of dog bite and aggression problems. Many dog owners don't know the signs nor the methods needed to correct behavior. Many others don't care and buy dogs as toys or status symbols.
I've owned very passive dogs and one that was very aggressive (not a Pit or breed that gets the media attn). The aggressive one was several years ago. I wish I had the knowledge I have today back then. It would have enabled me to make that dogs life much happier as well as the ones around him.
DR my condolences on your situation. And the above is not to say this Akita shouldn't be put down, only that its very likely this is the owners fault and not the dogs.
Okay, it is an animal ...when they attack like bears and cougars, what happens.......BOOM DEAD !.............( . )( . )............. :crossx: end of story, no more attacks...... :cool:

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-08-2006, 08:55 PM
agree also. All and any dog who bites should be put down.

Kim Hanson
09-08-2006, 08:55 PM
waiting on my registration confirmation. You have my vote.
Our daughter as most of you know has been through the same thing.
Thank you girlfriend...........( . )( . )........... :cool:

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Thank you girls friend...........( . )( . )........... :cool:
not a problem . I am still waiting. How long is it usually for them to confirm? :)

Kim Hanson
09-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Couldn't agree more.
I can second that...............( . )( . )............. :cool:

Kim Hanson
09-08-2006, 09:01 PM
not a problem . I am still waiting. How long is it usually for them to confirm? :)
Mine took about 30 minutes, thanks..........( . )( . ).............. :cool:

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Thank you.I will wait then. Po :) st then sleep.

Kim Hanson
09-08-2006, 09:09 PM
Thank you.I will wait then. Po :) st then sleep.
Thanks again, I got to hang with Bryce for like 10 days I think! Cool kid with lots of ideas on cars to go carts, sad day when I got to see this crap that happened to him.........( . )( . )........
I'm going back over ther to say some more and keep it up top........( . )( . )........ :)

HCS
09-08-2006, 09:21 PM
I can second that...............( . )( . )............. :cool:
I had this freind that had an old retire police German Shepard.
The dog was a freaking killer. But you know what? he liked the dog.
He kept it tied up, locked up in his back yard, or put on a leash and kept under control.
He knew what he had and took reponsibility.
People know if they have a time bomb!

Kim Hanson
09-08-2006, 09:29 PM
I had this freind that had an old retire police German Shepard.
The dog was a freaking killer. But you know what? he liked the dog.
He kept it tied up, locked up in his back yard, or put on a leash and kept under control.
He knew what he had and took reponsibility.
People know if they have a time bomb!
My oldest sister was attacked by a German Shepard, for no reason just walking by a house :cry: I went back with a hockey stick and beat the fock out of it, never seen him after that....( . )( . )............. :crossx:

Kim Hanson
09-09-2006, 08:23 PM
I see not many are listening here, go vote for christ sakes,,I will have all winter to make your life's a living hell on here ya know :crossx: .....( . )( . ).........just a little heads up on this situation :idea:

KreatinKaos
09-09-2006, 09:22 PM
They should put the dog down :crossx: