PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Outlook HELP, aaaargh!

91nordic29
09-08-2006, 07:23 AM
this is driving me crazy! i can send email but if i try to reply to and email using the reply function, the messages stay in my outbox. i have beentrying to find out why for 2 weeks.
Anyone?????? :mad:

Boomhowers
09-08-2006, 07:38 AM
You can go to Tools and Options then click on the mail setup tab and look at the send and Receive options.. Make sure it is checked to send imediatly. Also Check to make sure if you are using POP mail that you have the corect send mail server for your provider set.. Let me know if you have any other questions..

Riverless
09-08-2006, 07:41 AM
are you using the full version of outlook or outlook express?
for full version of outlook try selecting tools, send/receive, send all. if that works, you can set outlook to automatically send and receive in, tools, options, mail setup. i have outlook 2003 may be different in your version.

RitcheyRch
09-08-2006, 08:23 AM
What he said. I was having the same problem awhile back.
You can go to Tools and Options then click on the mail setup tab and look at the send and Receive options.. Make sure it is checked to send imediatly. Also Check to make sure if you are using POP mail that you have the corect send mail server for your provider set.. Let me know if you have any other questions..

91nordic29
09-12-2006, 08:14 AM
still not working properly! :mad:

boater72
09-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Go to tools click on accounts cliick properties, go to servers and see if your out going mail SMTP is correct. It should be smtpauth@ what ever your server is.

The Jerk
09-12-2006, 08:33 AM
are you using a IPS account or are you on an exchange account?
If exchange youll need to delete your OST file. search for *.ost.
of on a SMPT ISP account. try creating a new outlook profile.
jiMMy

Cheap Thrills
09-12-2006, 08:39 AM
Go to tools click on accounts cliick properties, go to servers and see if your out going mail SMTP is correct. It should be smtpauth@ what ever your server is.
Usually the SMTP name is formatted something like
mail.yourserviceprovider.com / net /org or whatever the suffix is . and no @
I have been know to be wrong though. :D
Being on Mediacom. MCHSI my smtp server is formatted as " mail.mchsi.com " less the quotes
when I was with bellsouth dialup it was "mail.bellsouth.net" less the quotes. for both send and recieve as most are.
If you have a firewall like Zone Alarm make sure it isn't blocking Outlook from being a server.
C.T. :wink:

Tequila-John
09-12-2006, 08:47 AM
my dad had the same issue. I first instructed him to clear out the 1200+ emails in his inbox and clear out the 1800+ in his sent items and then delete EVERYTHING in his deleted items folder. That fixed the issue.

boater72
09-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Usually the SMTP name is formatted something like
mail.yourserviceprovider.com / net /org or whatever the suffix is . and no @
I have been know to be wrong though. :D
Being on Mediacom. MCHSI my smtp server is formatted as " mail.mchsi.com " less the quotes
when I was with bellsouth dialup it was "mail.bellsouth.net" less the quotes. for both send and recieve as most are.
If you have a firewall like Zone Alarm make sure it isn't blocking Outlook from being a server.
As you say this I forgot one thing also as I had the same problem with outlook express if you have freedom firewall it will do this also. So I just shut it down and have had no pronlems.

racecar.hotshoe
09-12-2006, 10:26 AM
click your heels three times and say............................ :rolleyes:

Singleton
09-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Make sure to delate all the stuff you don't need in you Inbox, Deleted Items, and Sent items. You mailbox is getting full and that is what causes the problem. Also archive your calender. If you use the calendar and people send you attachments that eats up space as well (archive off anythign over the last 2 month and you should be OK).
Lastly if you use pst files keep them under 1G. Outlook has an issue when pst folders get over the 1G size limit.
If you want to keep everything, create a archieve file for your deleted items, and sent items and have it run weekly and that should solve the problem as well.
One more thing, if the file is over 5Mb, it coudl get hung up based on size limit configurations.

Tequila-John
09-12-2006, 10:52 AM
You don't have to empty your inbox, sent items ect... You only have to do that if your .pst file is over 2Gigs.
One message in the outbox is probably corrupt. When Outlook starts and tries to automatically send and recieve, cancel the process. Go to your Outbox and delete all the messages in there. For good measure, reboot your pc. Its not necesary but we are talking about a Microsoft product here. Once you restart and go into outlook you will most likely be able to send a new message.
Try that before following the advice here to delete everything. Thats lame advice as a first step and should only be used in a worst case situation. I don't know about you, but I need the history and try to fix the trouble first.
Forensic
BAH!! Sorry for answering the persons question. I will make sure in the future not to offer advice that has helped me. Thanks!

Cheap Thrills
09-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Mediacom SUCKS ASS!!!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Back to your regularly scheduled programing.
I agree 100% but it's all I have for now so I just deal with it .... :D
For good measure, reboot your pc. Its not necesary but we are talking about a Microsoft product here. Forensic
:D :rollside: :D

Riverless
09-12-2006, 11:02 AM
91nordic29d,
nobody has mentioned this, but in the future you might want to consider going with web based email like yahoo, gmail or hotmail. i find it much easier to use and great when you travel, because you can have access to all of your mail, and all of your contacts from any pc with an Internet connection. the problem with using outlook is that all your mail is downloaded to your hard drive and if you are not backing up your outlook file (.pst), you could lose all your mail and all your contacts if your hard drive crashed.
my 2 cents