PDA

View Full Version : How strong are the mounts

shootingstar72683
01-15-2006, 08:17 AM
Can I use the two motor supports to lift the rear of the hull off the trailer? The motor, and interior, carpets,& gastank are out. I want to get it off the trailer. How much weight am I fooling with? 79TaylorSJ 18' BerkleyJE?

Rexone
01-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Too vague.
Pic please of mount and attachment.

shootingstar72683
01-15-2006, 09:11 AM
Too vague.
Pic please of mount and attachment.
I can't send pics yet, really don't know how to use this computer yet. It's the part of the support that bolts to the stringers each side the bildge. I guess I'm really asking if those stringers wont rip off the hull if I lift the hull there to get it off the trailer? Should I not even take the chance and lift it with a sort of sling, or does it matter?

Rexone
01-15-2006, 09:22 AM
My guess is you should be ok. You're not lifting the motor as part of the weight the stringers are subjected to if you tie onto it. Just the rest the stuff listed.
If the stringers separate from that load (assuming these are FULL Length quality stringers and not little shortie engine mounting jobbies) I'm not sure I'd want to ride in the boat anyway.
Having no knowledge of the boat or hardware you're working on it's a tough question to answer accurately.

Rexone
01-15-2006, 09:24 AM
Sorry misread your post, all that other stuff is out.
You should be ok as long as these are full length quality stringers and whatever hardware you attach to is strong enough including the bolts and attaching hardware.

shootingstar72683
01-15-2006, 09:30 AM
My guess is you should be ok. You're not lifting the motor as part of the weight the stringers are subjected to if you tie onto it. Just the rest the stuff listed.
If the stringers separate from that load (assuming these are FULL Length quality stringers and not little shortie engine mounting jobbies) I'm not sure I'd want to ride in the boat anyway.
Having no knowledge of the boat or hardware you're working on it's a tough question to answer accurately.
I hear what yer saying. I thought they should be stong enough but I've been wrong before. I know the pressure is useually downward with the motor, now I'm pulling upward. I was hoping to manhandle the hull to paint it. I don't know how many I need to do it. I've been told 4-6guys should be able to do it. 700-800lbs???

Ken F
01-15-2006, 10:34 AM
If you are just wanting to get it off the trailer for painting, why dont you just lay some old tires under it as you pull it off the trailer? Works well. Tie the pump or the back of the hull to something, and drag the trailer slowly out from under it, placing tires under the boat as it comes off. You can usually "borrow" some from a tire shop, and return them when you are done.
I'd suggest a sling if you want to raise the rear of the boat. Why chance it?
Turning it over, I would suggest having more than 6 guys. 8-10. They are bulky, and there's not much to get a good grip on.
Ken F

sanger rat
01-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Boat lifting pics. http://jetboat.homestead.com/Kidsriding.html

shootingstar72683
01-15-2006, 12:47 PM
If you are just wanting to get it off the trailer for painting, why dont you just lay some old tires under it as you pull it off the trailer? Works well. Tie the pump or the back of the hull to something, and drag the trailer slowly out from under it, placing tires under the boat as it comes off. You can usually "borrow" some from a tire shop, and return them when you are done.
Turning it over, I would suggest having more than 6 guys. 8-10. They are bulky, and there's not much to get a good grip on.
Ken F
Doyou know how much it weights? How much does a jet unit weight?

shootingstar72683
01-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Boat lifting pics. http://jetboat.homestead.com/Kidsriding.html
I sure enjoyed this help. Now I'm going to check a few more things before I begin to paint. The pump is the best thing to lift on from the rear. The rope from the drain-hole attaches to the motor-mount stringer where the mount is, right?

shootingstar72683
01-15-2006, 01:53 PM
Ken F
By the way Ken, I don't have 8-10 friends. You must be a really nice guy! lol :)

sleekcrafter
01-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Even with four people, this way is still a handful be there is not much to hold on to. This boat was flipped for some bottom work.
Sleek
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7363100_0277-med.JPG http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7363100_0278-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7363100_0276-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7363100_0324-med.JPG

Moneypitt
01-15-2006, 07:37 PM
There have been several threads here with detailed pics of the different methods/set ups people have used. Look in e ticket's pic album, or Art's (gofastracer). I can tell you that back in 84 when I flipped and painted my 69 Tahiti,(bare hull) it took 12 guys to pick it up, move the trailer, set it down, slide it over, and roll it. I used bus tubes in the driveway and 11 of us wouldn't have done it!... Look in the threads and pic galleries, there a several good pics of others homemade rigs.............What ever you do, don't DROP IT!!!!!!!MP

sanger rat
01-15-2006, 07:43 PM
I sure enjoyed this help. Now I'm going to check a few more things before I begin to paint. The pump is the best thing to lift on from the rear. The rope from the drain-hole attaches to the motor-mount stringer where the mount is, right?
The pics are from Squirtcha? Maybe he'll pop in here with some more info for ya.

sanger rat
01-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Some more idea's for you. http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62743

shootingstar72683
01-16-2006, 03:46 AM
Some more idea's for you. http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62743
I've changed my mind now after the help here. Thanks again. This has been very educational. I'm going with the 3man-2 lift. Sure do appreciate the pictures, and step by step. I take it they don't take falls very well being that everyone says "DON'T DROP IT" :rollside:

IMPATIENT 1
01-16-2006, 06:41 AM
hey gary, getin ready to paint? if your stringers are in very good shape go for it.it you even have a second guess of you r stringers condition don't.i've tested boats that i might buy with a drill bit. find a low spot and drill alittle into the stringer,if any of the shavings look wet ,replace the stringers since your not far from having stripped down for it.good luck

shootingstar72683
01-16-2006, 08:52 AM
hey gary, getin ready to paint? if your stringers are in very good shape go for it.it you even have a second guess of you r stringers condition don't.i've tested boats that i might buy with a drill bit. find a low spot and drill alittle into the stringer,if any of the shavings look wet ,replace the stringers since your not far from having stripped down for it.good luck
Are you at work? Can I call you? Ron from Texas wanted to talk with you about a ski step. If you want me to wait till these evening, I'm not in a big hurry.

IMPATIENT 1
01-16-2006, 09:49 AM
Are you at work? Can I call you? Ron from Texas wanted to talk with you about a ski step. If you want me to wait till these evening, I'm not in a big hurry.
GOOD TALKIN WITH YA GARY, SORRY IT WAS SHORT,BEEN ALITTLE BUSY THIS MORNIN. TELL THE GUY THAT ASKED ABOUT THE SKI STEP,THAT I ONLY HAVE THE ONE THAT COVERS YOUR PUMP. IF HE'S INTERESTED TELL HIM TO EMAIL ME AT te_1051@hotmail.com..

shootingstar72683
01-16-2006, 12:10 PM
GOOD TALKIN WITH YA GARY, SORRY IT WAS SHORT,BEEN ALITTLE BUSY THIS MORNIN. TELL THE GUY THAT ASKED ABOUT THE SKI STEP,THAT I ONLY HAVE THE ONE THAT COVERS YOUR PUMP. IF HE'S INTERESTED TELL HIM TO EMAIL ME AT te_1051@hotmail.com..
Enjoyed the conversation myself. Sure hope to meet ya one day. HAD TO COME IN, THE WEATHER IS FALLING APART, STARTING TO RAIN. I pulled the gas tank and the rear stringer holding it.The front part of the motor mount sringers are hollowed out. It's hard shelled, can I fill it with glass or filler? Should I tear it out? I'll get you're message out.

IMPATIENT 1
01-16-2006, 12:28 PM
Enjoyed the conversation myself. Sure hope to meet ya one day. HAD TO COME IN, THE WEATHER IS FALLING APART, STARTING TO RAIN. I pulled the gas tank and the rear stringer holding it.The front part of the motor mount sringers are hollowed out. It's hard shelled, can I fill it with glass or filler? Should I tear it out? I'll get you're message out.
that 4ft motor mount stringer is the only thing the sj's have as far as stringers go.if there hollow gary ,replace em now that you got your motor out.the floor "ties into" the stringers that your motor mounts to.

Sanger Jet
01-16-2006, 01:08 PM
I used Squirtchas method Works like a Champ !!!

SmokinLowriderSS
01-16-2006, 03:02 PM
My wife & I just flipped Lowrider over Sat for hull work. She's an SS and is thus identically hulled to your SJ except for the taller/heavier deck, probably 100 to 200 pounds. We lifted the bow with a cable come-along and 3/8 rope thru the bow-eye and the stern with the engine cherry-picker and a length of 1/2 rope arround the jet drive. Had I just wanted to go "up" it would likely have been OK to lift from the mounts, but to flip her over, go for the drive just ahead of the nozzle. The front is the tricky part when you get past "vertical". We sat her down on a 4x4 (on the rub-rail) and adjusted the slacked rope to catch arround the light and not slip off the front.

shootingstar72683
01-16-2006, 03:03 PM
I used Squirtchas method Works like a Champ !!!
Where can I find the thread?

shootingstar72683
01-16-2006, 03:07 PM
My wife & I just flipped Lowrider over Sat for hull work. She's an SS and is thus identically hulled to your SJ except for the taller/heavier deck, probably 100 to 200 pounds. We lifted the bow with a cable come-along and 3/8 rope thru the bow-eye and the stern with the engine cherry-picker and a length of 1/2 rope arround the jet drive. Had I just wanted to go "up" it would likely have been OK to lift from the mounts, but to flip her over, go for the drive just ahead of the nozzle. The front is the tricky part when you get past "vertical". We sat her down on a 4x4 (on the rub-rail) and adjusted the slacked rope to catch arround the light and not slip off the front.
Did ya take any pictures doing it? Did you put it on tires ,barrels horses to finnaly work on it?