PDA

View Full Version : Southwind hull worth fixing?

southwind racer
09-08-2006, 11:47 AM
So I figured it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion. As some of you know I've got a pritty well cracked hull on my hands. The fiberglass guy quoted $3500 to run full stringers and fix my cracks that he claims are very extensive. He suggested to me that even though he has already put in some hours, that we both wash our hands of it and look into a new hull. He said it'd be better for me to spend my money on that then putting a bandaid on something thats going to crack more in the future.
I was looking for some feedback. I have some images of the cracks and problems.
http://www.bykowskiequipment.com/southwind/Southwind4.JPG
http://www.bykowskiequipment.com/southwind/Southwind-1.JPG
http://www.bykowskiequipment.com/southwind/Southwind-2.JPG
http://www.bykowskiequipment.com/southwind/Southwind-3.JPG
http://www.bykowskiequipment.com/southwind/Southwind-5.JPG

lilrick
09-08-2006, 11:59 AM
I agree with both Ken and Mark about their advice. Anything can be fixed! Is it worth it? I'm not sure that the particular hull you have is. I am brutally honest in my opinion that you could take that $3500 and either buy another used hull or put it towards one of these new gullwing hulls and be further ahead in the game! You will spend alot of money on a hull that will never reach the performance that a newer or more performance hull will give you.just my.02
lilrick

mouzer
09-08-2006, 04:29 PM
SOUTHWIND BROTHERS DOWN IN THE OC. will do it! they fixed a 3 ft crack in my southwind tunnell dragster! the whole crack took on water! i forgot there forum names here but maybe they will read your post,, there in orange county! :)

dmontzsta
09-08-2006, 04:44 PM
SOUTHWIND BROTHERS DOWN IN THE OC. will do it! they fixed a 3 ft crack in my southwind tunnell dragster! the whole crack took on water! i forgot there forum names here but maybe they will read your post,, there in orange county! :)
+1 on that, although I do not know if they are up to the task these days...they are both pretty busy. You might want to give it a shot though. Hit up Nucking Futs.

78Southwind
09-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Southwind Racer
Drop your pictures from the thread I have resized them for you so that the thread will be easier to read.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/15417Southwind_Racer1.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/15417Southwind_Racer2.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/15417Southwind_Racer3.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/15417Southwind_Racer4.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/15417Southwind_Racer5.jpg

mouzer
09-08-2006, 06:21 PM
+1 on that, although I do not know if they are up to the task these days...they are both pretty busy. You might want to give it a shot though. Hit up Nucking Futs.ya that guy :p

FOURQ
09-08-2006, 06:44 PM
bring it up to Havasu ill fix it for ya.....

FOURQ
09-08-2006, 06:49 PM
only one is now Mike...

lilrick
09-08-2006, 06:50 PM
I know that everyone is trying to help, but I am concerned that not one person asked WHY this boat broke, what he plans on doing with the boat, and how much power he is currently running or plans on running. He originally asked if the boat was worth the repair! So once again, is it worth it?

FOURQ
09-08-2006, 07:26 PM
I know that everyone is trying to help, but I am concerned that not one person asked WHY this boat broke, what he plans on doing with the boat, and how much power he is currently running or plans on running. He originally asked if the boat was worth the repair! So once again, is it worth it?
YES it is worth it with his 550hp olds for playin on the lake....

james
09-08-2006, 07:50 PM
I would have to agree with lilrick. Just take the money and put it towards a new Gullwing. I would also salvage anything you could from the busted boat and use it later on. Then set FIRE to the old hull so you dont think about fixing later on.

probablecause
09-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Then set FIRE to the old hull so you dont think about fixing later on.
That is classic. This should get rid of any more motivation.

TRG
09-08-2006, 09:18 PM
fully repairable,...dont set fire to it!

james
09-08-2006, 09:50 PM
New is always better, Just ask God hes getting ready to start over himself (SET FIRE) :)

dmontzsta
09-08-2006, 09:55 PM
james, Older boats are becoming more and more rare. To set fire to them when they are fixable, is just a shame. Also, it might hold sentimental value to the owner and he might not want to fork out the extra dough on a new hull.
I say fix it! :)

james
09-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Thats fine just keep it off the water so you dont have to fix it again and put in a show room. Besides newer is not only better its safer am I right or am I wrong.

dmontzsta
09-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Thats fine just keep it off the water so you dont have to fix it again and put in a show room. Besides newer is not only better its safer am I right or am I wrong.
I dont know about others, but I would say wrong. Most of these boats were designed in the 70s and just splashed or the same mold is still used to make the newer ones, so it really isnt new technology. Sure people have come along to massage the bottoms a little. If the boat is sound, it is no less safe than a new boat. :)

james
09-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Well if you want to get technical, Most insurance companies wont insure a 1976 or less boat. Thats all I need is to get hit by one of these guys and they will loose there shirt in court. Just a thought.

southwind racer
09-09-2006, 02:09 AM
That is classic. This should get rid of any more motivation.
You guys are awesome...lol. Its just terribly hard to get rid of my boat. I'm sure most of you know when you put so much work into something...not to mention this boat has been in my family sence '73 and I remember riding in it as a child. I learned how to ski behind this boat at Shasta when I was 7.
I'm going back and forth...I know the value of having something new. I'm kind of tired of going on trips and not being able to boat. At the same time, its my boat...to just trash it is hard.
I'm obviously still open to suggestions. Keep them coming if you have something.

MudPumper
09-09-2006, 07:05 AM
I would be better able to help you if the pictures were just a little bit bigger. J/K :crossx: LOL

dmontzsta
09-09-2006, 07:08 AM
Well if you want to get technical, Most insurance companies wont insure a 1976 or less boat. Thats all I need is to get hit by one of these guys and they will loose there shirt in court. Just a thought.
They also do not like to insure boats that go over 65mph. I know someone with insurance on their pre-76 boats, of course they do not have OT headers either. That is another big factor for the insurance companies.
BTW: How is something like this. http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_Honcho%20at%20mels%201.jpg
Any worse than a new boat? :)

Nucking futs
09-09-2006, 07:37 AM
It is repairable ,like Todd and Four Q said, but question is, How much are you willing to pay. There are many glass shops that could and would fix it for you, you just need to drag it down to them and let them inspect it. You just need to weigh out your options and decide what "you" want to do. "I" would not fix it and would look for a new to you hull and rerig the new hull with your stuff. its all in what you want to do.
Im to busy to play in fiberglass these days, but I would take a closer look at it for you.
I also have a Southwind tunnel dragster hull in the garage ready to rig for close to what it will cost to repair your hull, and then you could keep your board name......... :crossx:

Squirtcha?
09-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Absolutely repairable. I did mine last winter and it was
cracked all the way through in the same area. It's kind
of a pain in the arse, but not rocket science. My glassing
experience was extremely limited prior to this and it turned
out fine. There are also some tricks to make it stronger
than it was from the original layup. (thanks to Nucking Futs,
Old Rigger, Mike F, FourQ for the suggestions)
My email is down right now, but if you decide to try it, let
me know here on this post and I'll send you some step by
step pictures.
If you don't want to do it yourself, I agree with the above
posters that suggest you get another hull. It's way too
expensive to pay someone else to do it on that particular hull.
Nucking Futs's Southwind dragster would be an excellent way
to go if you decide to ditch the hull.
Oh yeah, you might want to consider getting a photo editor to
resize those pictures. Those things make the whole thread
practically unreadable.

centurion tunnel
09-09-2006, 09:20 AM
bring it up to Havasu ill fix it for ya.....
Hey will you fix my crack in my boat : :rolleyes:

78Southwind
09-09-2006, 10:52 AM
From my personal experience if it were my boat I would not pay the $3,500 to fix it but I would pay up to $1,500. However, I think your quote was for fixing the cracks and putting new full size stringers in your boat. As others have said my opinion is that you don’t need full size stringers with your set up. Like you, I have had my boat for a long time in fact over 17 years. Its almost like a good friend. Also, I like the classic style of boat. It’s not the fastest boat out there but really fun to drive. You should be in the mid 70’s with the power you currently have.
I would go out and get a couple more quotes on just fixing the cracks. Find a company that will guarantee their work and guarantee that they will stay within their estimates. Then from there see if it is worth it to you or not. Think about how long your going to keep your boat, do you want a larger boat in the near future, do you want a faster boat or do you want a new boat?
If you end up buying a used hull and not fixing yours remember it is common for these types of hulls to crack at the lifting strakes doesn’t matter if they have full stringers or not. So make sure that you inspect the hull or have someone inspect it for you. You don’t want to be fixing the cracks in a new to you hull the next year after you buy it.
If you end up wanting a larger new hull Dana has a SW 20‘ hull that is nice hit up Nucking Futs or Hack Job on the board they both own these cruisers. I would have probably bought one if the timing was right for me. However, I personally like having a paid off boat. There is also a couple new manufactures that will sell you just a hull (Wicked Performance Boats and SoCal Power) to mention a couple. Also, might be worth while to call Cobra Power Boats and see if they would lay up another 18’ hull. I talked to them a couple years ago at the boat show and they said they still had the 18’ SW mold.
Like Nucking Futs said if you want to keep your Southwind Racer nick name then check out his Southiwnd Tunnel Dragster. I know he has put a lot of work in to it and you would go faster. :D

southwind racer
09-09-2006, 03:12 PM
I would be better able to help you if the pictures were just a little bit bigger. J/K :crossx: LOL
I wanted you guys to be able to see the detail and the cracks. So I did them full size. I resized them for ya...its a pain to read you're right. Believe it or not I'm actually pretty computer savey...hell I even have a degree.
As far as my boat goes someone I met at FBC 5 said they would fix up my boat without putting in Stringers for $1000.
I think I'm going to go with a 19' open bow if I buy new or used. I'm gonna keep my options open because the last trip I was going to go on this season was FB6 in October and I won't be able to finish anything by then. I really like the Kachina that is in the forums but its complete with engine and if I can't sell my OLDS, which I probably can't get out of it what I put into it, that isn't an option.

502 JET
09-09-2006, 04:32 PM
You guys are awesome...lol. Its just terribly hard to get rid of my boat. I'm sure most of you know when you put so much work into something...not to mention this boat has been in my family sence '73 and I remember riding in it as a child. I learned how to ski behind this boat at Shasta when I was 7.
I'm going back and forth...I know the value of having something new. I'm kind of tired of going on trips and not being able to boat. At the same time, its my boat...to just trash it is hard.
I'm obviously still open to suggestions. Keep them coming if you have something.
You should fix the boat !!
Is it worth it ?
From what I read above I would say it is to you for sentimental reasons.Years from now you will still have these same memories of this boat and if you fix it you will still have the boat to go along with the memories.
If you scrap it you can only :cry: about it.