PDA

View Full Version : Split problems, not just personality!

jfarrjl
09-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Just checking. I have a split bowl on my JC pump. I just picked up the boat, and found out through the forum that the shaft was probably damaged, and this is why they were pumping grease into the bowl instead of oil. Havent looked at old thread, but thanks you were right. Stripped pump, now Im not sure if bowl is damaged beyond repair. There are two bushings, right? They sit on the inside and outside, right? The center does not have a bushing, right? The reason I ask is due to the bushing being loose, inside the bowl and it wore down the center hole. The bushing towards the inside of the pump is pressed in, right? the reason I ask is because when lookin from the inside of the bowl, about 1" from the hole, I see that someone ran a bead of weld 3/4 around what I am not sure, is it the bearing? In other words, is it a simple bearing, about an 1/8" thick, or is it large 4" in circumfrence and the weld has to be grinded out and a new one has to be pressed in? Anyone have pictures, first pump disasembly, never the less rebuild. I dont know what a good one looks like. Im going to break out the camera phone and see if I can figure out how to post some pictures. :)

Duane HTP
09-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Pictures will help get you the right answers to your problem.

jfarrjl
09-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks Duane, Ill post them in the morning, I have no clue how to post an image, and too tired to figure it out. Ive been up since 4am and its now 11pm, New York time.

Schi-502
09-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Just checking. I have a split bowl on my JC pump. I just picked up the boat, and found out through the forum that the shaft was probably damaged, and this is why they were pumping grease into the bowl instead of oil. Havent looked at old thread, but thanks you were right. Stripped pump, now Im not sure if bowl is damaged beyond repair. There are two bushings, right? They sit on the inside and outside, right? The center does not have a bushing, right? The reason I ask is due to the bushing being loose, inside the bowl and it wore down the center hole. The bushing towards the inside of the pump is pressed in, right? the reason I ask is because when lookin from the inside of the bowl, about 1" from the hole, I see that someone ran a bead of weld 3/4 around what I am not sure, is it the bearing? In other words, is it a simple bearing, about an 1/8" thick, or is it large 4" in circumfrence and the weld has to be grinded out and a new one has to be pressed in? Anyone have pictures, first pump disasembly, never the less rebuild. I dont know what a good one looks like. Im going to break out the camera phone and see if I can figure out how to post some pictures. :)
I had a shaft bushing seal go out this summer. I couldn't keep oil in the bushing... Yeah, I used grease to get through the summer. It's time to tear it down and check my damage.
Let's hear how your project goes.
Mark

jfarrjl
09-09-2006, 05:06 AM
As you can see, I included three pictures. One of the shaft, where you can see how the bushings had slid off their races (hence I do not know where they are exactly supose to be) and how the shaft was damaged because of it.
http://***boat.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17469
The other pictures are of the bowl: where one shows the beads of weld that I was talking about. Is this weld a repair? Cavitation? Is the bushing in the center and the weld has nothing to do with the bushing, or is the bushing larger than I think and pressed in, then welded into location?
http://***boat.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17468
and the other shows the three possible (possible, because they were not in their chases, rotted and hanging off the shaft) locations for the bushings.
http://***boat.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17467
Hey, if anyone can help me figure out how to properly post pictures, please pm me. I downloaded the pictures as attachments, as you can see below. I then opened the pictures and linked them with the image button. Still learning, thanks! :cool:

Rondane
09-09-2006, 09:13 AM
As you can see, I included three pictures. One of the shaft, where you can see how the bushings had slid off their races (hence I do not know where they are exactly supose to be) and how the shaft was damaged because of it.
The other pictures are of the bowl: where one shows the beads of weld that I was talking about. Is this weld a repair? Cavitation? Is the bushing in the center and the weld has nothing to do with the bushing, or is the bushing larger than I think and pressed in, then welded into location?
that bowl was welded because the bowl had water in it and when it froze, it cracked in that location of the weld,thus it was repaired. Whether the bowl bushings are on center are not, with the way that shaft is worn, it really wont help you at this point. Those bushings look good enough to use for now. That shaft needs to be fixed or replaced before you spend your money doing anything else. Just pack it full of grease and run it for now as it looks to have been that way for quite a while. My .O2
rondane

jfarrjl
09-09-2006, 09:30 AM
I was already planning on replacing the shaft. However the repair, probably threw the aligment off, right. So then the bowl is shot, or can I align bore the bushings holes? Is there oversized bushings available? Also, where exactly do the bushings go, there is two according to the diagrams I have seen. One goes on the the inside (meaning the inside of the pump) and one on the outside(meaning towards the aft), there is three surfaces that I see. One has the bushing that you still see, then aft there is another opening in the middle of the oil reservuar (sorry cant spell worth the...) and another aft of that. I found a bushing loose in there. It was riding in the center one in the middle of the oil tank :) , which I don't think it belonged. I believe they belonged on the inside and outside(aft); and not in the middle.

jfarrjl
09-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Maybe this would be a better question, who could, that is if it can be done, do the machine work?

Duane HTP
09-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Your bowl has been frozen and welded as mentioned above. It's pretty likely that the bushings were put into a binding situation because of the warpage from the welding heat. That does not mean that the bowl is a throw away. We have a larger bushing assembly that is made especailly for the repairing of a bowl like that.
It has a seal in front, and a zerk to grease the shaft from the rear entrance of the bowl. When we bore the bowl to install the new bushing assembly it will straighten up the bushings in relation to the shaft. The shaft is also repairable. Aggressor makes a sleeve that can be put on the shaft after turning it down to the proper size.

jfarrjl
09-09-2006, 02:25 PM
pm me, I was curious how much you would want to repair them both. Thanks for the help. I am a little aprehensive about the grease lubrication though, I didn't think it would lubricate enough, and shving down the shaft I would imagin would weaken it. I know the agressor bowl is lubricated this way, but I am still a little aprehensive. Another quick question, the agressor bowl, would it fit inside that transom housing that is already in my boat? Im not sure what exactly Im doing with it yet. I wrote off the season here in New York already, so this is my winter project. I picked up another pump, and was thinking of repairing or replacing this bowl. Why two pumps, because I was going to work one and keep one stock to sell the boat with.

Duane HTP
09-09-2006, 02:45 PM
I sent you a PM.
Answers to your other questions are; I think the grease lubricates a little better because it is not as easily washed out as oil is.
We've never had a weakening problem with the shaft turn down. We have them running in several BAJ boats.
Aggressor and American Turbine both make bowls that will fit your housing.