PDA

View Full Version : Upholstery question

502schiada
09-08-2006, 09:40 PM
I have mainly white seats and engine cover with a couple matching color stripes. Every time i clean it real good and get it real white again as soon as i cover it for a couple weeks, the white turns a yellowish color. I have a grey towing cover over it, and a thick rubber tarp over that. Does anyone know why its yellowing? Could it be from the fuel vapors? Also will the Hot Sauce help with it? Thanks :mad:

phebus
09-09-2006, 04:31 AM
I wonder if the rubber tarp is off gassing? Have you tried it during the dry times with just the towing cover, and leaving the rubber one off?
Also, what are you using to clean the seats with? It could be leaving a residue behind that is discoloring the seats.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-09-2006, 05:07 AM
I've go white seats and a cover and my seats stay white.
I suggest that it's the cleaner.
If it has any wax in it that's a for sure culpret.
We use simple green, a mild bristly brush rinse until no foam, then armorall.

RitcheyRch
09-09-2006, 07:45 AM
Am guessing is from the rubber tarp.

502schiada
09-09-2006, 09:02 AM
I use magic erasers and sometimes clorox cleanup with bleach. Then armor all once in a while. If i leave the rubber tarp off it will still do it.

lakewake
09-09-2006, 01:36 PM
I have mainly white seats and engine cover with a couple matching color stripes. Every time i clean it real good and get it real white again as soon as i cover it for a couple weeks, the white turns a yellowish color. I have a grey towing cover over it, and a thick rubber tarp over that. Does anyone know why its yellowing? Could it be from the fuel vapors? Also will the Hot Sauce help with it? Thanks :mad:
Here is a good link ,though technical ,that will explain part of the problem in detail.
http://plc.cwru.edu/tutorial/enhanced/files/polymers/struct/struct.htm
The short of it is the chemical that you are using are going to give you good first response. Cutting Grease,oil and dirt. Most are kitchen surface cleaners that cut grease and oil releasing the dirt at the surface. Once the chemical has time to oxidate the polymers begin to change color as they discharge the chemical gas. Plastics and vinyl based compounds are oil based and will discolor. Check out my website and go to photos. The top picture is from Rednecks boat here on ***boat. After cleaning with over the counter the cleaners the seats looked clean at first glance. The top half of the seats looks gray in comparison to the bottom half which we used our Junkyard Juice on.The vinyl cleaner breaks the molecular bond between oil and the vinyl itself and will not leave a residue to yellow or outgas.PM me and we can talk on the phone. I will bring you some free products when you have the boat available and show you how well it works.
www.junkyardjuice.com

Daytona100
09-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Free samples!!!!!!!!. Do,s it work better than magic eraser?

Classic Daycruiser
09-09-2006, 01:55 PM
I use 303. I think they are from your neck of the woods.

H20Advantage
09-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Heres a question since we are talking boat interiors.
I towed the boat to Powell and back and when I got home there is some type of tar like substance in the front bow area on the seats that I can't get out.
I don't want to use something too harsh (chemical wise) on it and have used the cleaners I had on hand. Magic eraser, interior cleaner, comet, ect.
Any suggestions??????????

lakewake
09-09-2006, 05:42 PM
I towed the boat to Powell and back and when I got home there is some type of tar like substance in the front bow area on the seats that I can't get out.
I don't want to use something too harsh (chemical wise) on it and have used the cleaners I had on hand. Magic eraser, interior cleaner, comet, ect.
If it is road tar you can get Kerosene or White Gas in the camping section of Wal-Mart. Acetone will accomplish the same but don't get it on nylon-based carpet. Acetone is in most Wal-Mart’s in the paint section. Home Depot or Lowe’s has it as well. If it is a small spot and you want a little can of something you can get Ronsonol Lighter Fluid everywhere. After using any of the things above rinse repeatedly or wipe down with a wet towel turning frequently. Allow to air out well before covering the boat.

Havasu1986
09-09-2006, 07:41 PM
We use simple green, a mild bristly brush rinse until no foam, then armorall.
The purple in our hatch faded, and the guy from Tammys upholstery in Havi said that from using simple green it ruined it. He uses Dep, which you can get at Home Depot. Right now we are using the Hot Sauce and it works great.

502schiada
09-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the info Lake, i will PM you about this.

Mr. Crusader 83
09-09-2006, 09:20 PM
The best thing i have found that works the best is, Fast Orange Hand Cleaner. Put it on a rag and rub it in. since its grainy it cleans the grain in the vinyl really well, then rinse off with water. Then i use Miguires vinyl conditioner. keeps them clean and white.
also... if you live somewhere where its hot. try putting a 5 gallon bucket full of water in your boat. then put the cover on. it keeps the seats from driing out and cracking.

VanDeano
09-10-2006, 01:33 AM
Magic Eraser is the best stuff i have ever used. Who ever invented that should get the noble prize

havasu5150
09-10-2006, 05:22 AM
Need to be careful with products that contain bleach, it can deteriorate the vinyl. I've used Magic Erasers they work great, not sure if they contain bleach or not....no ingredients listed on the packaging....it must be Magic. Just used Boat Bling Vinyl Sauce.....that stuff is the sheeeiiatt.

Nucking futs
09-10-2006, 07:00 AM
WD-40

H20Advantage
09-10-2006, 09:15 AM
I also tried the white gas but no luck. I'll try the WD-40 and the Fast Orange Hand Cleaner next week when I'm out.
Thanks for the input.