PDA

View Full Version : up down pedal question

flat broke
09-30-2002, 09:23 PM
This may sound like a stupid question, but what do you expect, I own a jet wink In all seriousness, right now my setup uses a trimetric handle/down pedal to control the diverter. I know that some of the V-drive setups have and up and a down pedal. How do those setups stay in neutral so to speak? I would assume that the cav plate wants to be straight so when you take your foot off of either the pedals, the plate returns to straight. Did trimetric or anyone else make an up pedal, down pedal, handle setup. I want to be able to set my diverter at its optimum cruising angle, then use the down pedal for takeoff and unexpected rollers, and use the up pedal for throwin a little tail and airing the boat out more than the standard cruise setting. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

Rexone
09-30-2002, 10:08 PM
Chris, Try MLJ Engineering in Covina, Ca. He used to make the dual pedal locker with handle. It's the only one I know of in recent times. We used to handle them but they got so hard to get from him we finally just gave up on getting them. We ended up pissing more people off than it was worth because we couldn't get them on time. He makes a good unit if he has em. I think he still runs a little ad in the back of Hot Boat Mag. Hope that helps.

superdave013
09-30-2002, 10:16 PM
Little Mike pissing people off?? Say it aint so. lol He has alwasy been nice and helpfull to me. This is what he always told me "You need parts? Go next door and see Oak!" Is Mike Oak still next door?
Anyway I had a flat that had a down pedal and it used the stringer mount 9 position handle that you see in lots of jets for the lockout. But the down pedal would over ride it.
I have also seen some Cole jets control the diverter that way.
You know what I think would be cool would be to put some plates on that spectra with a foot pedal. Leave the diverter like it is.
To answer your question about how they stay in neutral. The rod has a spring (or 2) pulling it back up to a pre set stop.
[ September 30, 2002, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

Rexone
09-30-2002, 10:27 PM
Little Mikes always been nice and helpful to me too, just has had a little delivery problem in recent years. I went to school with Mike and didn't mean to imply he was intentionally pissing anyone off...not the case. What I meant is that we were pissin people off by promising his stuff to them and then not being able to get it on time. Found it easier to just send people there directly now. I'm not sure whether Oaks still there or not, haven't been over there in awhile.

flat broke
09-30-2002, 11:06 PM
Dave and Mike,
Thanks for the input. I need to look at a couple setups before I throw down the bones, but I'm pretty sure it will work out how I want it to.
Dave,
Unfortunately plates wont really achieve what I want to do unless I added a TH400, ruder, propshaft, strut, log, driveshaft and a casale. Oh wait that would make it a V'drive wink I'm actually currently running the Trimetric 9 position handle with over ride pedal. I love being able to drop the nose instantly for rough water, but the spring used to pull the diverter up against the lockout handle sucks. If the spring had much more tension I'd have to use the down pedal to slow it down while seting the handle. But at it's current tension it gets overpowered by the thrust and allows the diverter to be pulled straight.
I have seen the pedal controled Ride Plate setups, but for the most part my current ride plate setting does well in most conditions.
Thanks,
Chris
[ October 01, 2002, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: flat broke ]

WILDERTHANU54
10-01-2002, 11:19 AM
NOW HOW THE HELL DO YOU DRIVE THIS THING, WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS. WHY NOT BUILD A V-RIVE. THIS GUY HAS TO AJUST THE DRIVE, THEN SET HIS PLATES. I GUESS ITS A GOOD SKI SET UP THOUGH? ? ?
http://www.boatpart.com/turboschiada%20006.jpg
[ October 01, 2002, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: WILDERTHANU54 ]

SPECTRABRENT
10-01-2002, 12:20 PM
Chris,
That foot override is not made by Trimetric, it was made by Stellings. All you would need to do is have a heavier spring made.
Brent

superdave013
10-01-2002, 12:43 PM
WILDERTHANU54:
NOW HOW THE HELL DO YOU DRIVE THIS THING, WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS. WHY NOT BUILD A V-RIVE. THIS GUY HAS TO AJUST THE DRIVE, THEN SET HIS PLATES. I GUESS ITS A GOOD SKI SET UP THOUGH? ? ?
http://www.boatpart.com/turboschiada%20006.jpgI bet that boat kicks ass. Did you see the boat on page 98 of the new Hot Boat. Twin Out Drives on one engine. Thing is bad ass!
Now that you can get a smaller (than a #6) outdrive that will live people are moving away from v-drives. I would love to be the first guy to kick ass in a GN race with one! Speeking of that. Is there a rule that says GN's have t be inboards or could you run an outdrive??

126driver
10-01-2002, 03:35 PM
I don't have my 2002 rulebook handy, but the '01 APBA rulebook says you have to use v-drives in GN's.

superdave013
10-01-2002, 03:42 PM
126driver:
I don't have my 2002 rulebook handy, but the '01 APBA rulebook says you have to use v-drives in GN's.That would 'splain it.

Jrocket
10-01-2002, 03:48 PM
WILDERTHANU54:
http://www.boatpart.com/turboschiada%20006.jpgActually that boat is VERY easy to drive! You set the out drive at a certain spot and use the tabs to do the rest.The tabs are electric in the boat with NO manual over ride.Ive been mid 90's in that boat,and no scarry stuff.Handles just fine,and you can back up.So theres your answer..

WILDERTHANU54
10-01-2002, 04:51 PM
YA, IF I WAS GOING TO RUN AN OUTDRIVE, THERE'S MY SET UP CHOICE!!!!. I'D LOVE TO DRIVE THAT BOAT!!!
GEOFF

Jrocket
10-01-2002, 05:29 PM
Hey Geoff
Its always on Parker strip in the summer.Its also for sale.Id say on a GOOD day it will run 97 to 100 flat.Ive been 96 or so in it,actually 4 of us were in it.Its one really nice boat,considering the bone head that owns it..Just kidding ya 3'B.........

WILDERTHANU54
10-01-2002, 05:38 PM
WERE DOES THAT BOAT STAY AT THE RIVER, I DON'T THINK I'VE SEEN IT. HOW MUCH, MY DADS LOOKING FOR A 21 RC, BUT A V-DRIVE......... THAT THING IS BAD THOUGH, YA NEVER KNOW.

LeE ss13
10-01-2002, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by superdave013:
[QB]Little Mike pissing people off?? Say it aint so. lol He has alwasy been nice and helpfull to me. This is what he always told me "You need parts? Go next door and see Oak!" Is Mike Oak still next door?
You know Little Mike and Oaks ??? I've had them, (mostly Oaks), making me stuff since the 70s. I'm surprized we didn't run into each other sooner. I remember them making stuff for Rex all the time. Anyway, about 2 years ago Oaks calls me up and says I need to pickup my gas tank I left there for repair because he was shutting down the his shop. Oh well !!!!
Hey Mike G. Do you have a brother Tony G.???
-------
LeE ss13

flat broke
10-01-2002, 09:07 PM
SPECTRABRENT:
Chris,
That foot override is not made by Trimetric, it was made by Stellings. All you would need to do is have a heavier spring made.
BrentThanks for the tip on the manufacturer Brent. I could find a heavier spring (like one from a garage door :) ) but I don't want to have to reach down to adjust the bastard if need be. I want to use the pedals to find a good cruising attitude, lock it out with the handle but be able to over ride the handle either up or down with the pedals. I can't be taking my hand off of my beverage every time some bozo comes by and throws a little tail wink
Chris

SPECTRABRENT
10-01-2002, 09:19 PM
Do you still have the Trimetric handle?
If you want to sell it, let me know.
THanks,
Brent
[ October 01, 2002, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: SPECTRABRENT ]

Rexone
10-01-2002, 09:27 PM
Yep that's me

SPECTRABRENT
10-01-2002, 09:33 PM
Mike,
Whats the guys name @ Rex Marine with the redone Spectra 32?
Brent

Rexone
10-01-2002, 09:40 PM
Tom Peterson

flat broke
10-01-2002, 09:41 PM
SPECTRABRENT:
Do you still have the Trimetric handle?
If you want to sell it, let me know.
THanks,
BrentBrent,
I still have it and don't have any plans for it currently. Let me check with a couple of my friends off the boards and make sure they don't want/need it before I sell it.
Thanks,
Chris

LeE ss13
10-02-2002, 05:40 AM
Rexone:
Yep that's meI remember when Tony had a shop up on Foothill in Glendora in the '70s. My father at that time was the Hot Rod guru in town when Tony called him over to help with a problem he had. Tony had installed a 427 in a 70 Monte Carlo that when you reved up the engine the timing would retard. Turns out the cam would walk forward retarding the timing. First time I had ever seen that. How is Tony ???
--------
LeE ss13

SPECTRABRENT
10-02-2002, 09:48 AM
Chris,
NO Prob. I may be putting a jet together in the future.
Let me know.
Brent

SPECTRABRENT
10-02-2002, 09:49 AM
Mike,
Does Tom still have the boat?
Brent

Rexone
10-02-2002, 03:31 PM
Tony's doing great. Recently moved to Havasu after 20+ years living in Oregon, loves it.
Ya Brent, Tom still has it...nice boat.