PDA

View Full Version : Boat rear-ended on trailer, need advice

Nubbs
09-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Hey all,
My boat was rear ended on the way home from the lake today. The other vehicle ran into the pump, breaking the rudder off and damaging the nozzle. The collision also shifted the boat forward and sideways on the trailer. The bow eye is a little bent and some gel coat is chipped near the bow eye. I didn't notice any other damage. However, I'm concerned about some possible hidden damage to the hull, especially the area where the jet mounts to the hull, the tie down hooks on the transom, and the bow eye area. I'm thinking I should probably have it inspected by a knowledgeable shop. Do any of you have any tips as to what to look for or know of a good shop in SoCal, preferrably near Long Beach California?
Thanks
Nubbs

bergen
09-09-2006, 01:59 PM
what about your neck? arn't you feeling bad pain, run down to the store and get a neck brace, ill have my peeps give your peeps a call. from the law offices of dui cheatum & howe, hope the boats ok im sure someone can steer you to a good boat shop.

4trax
09-09-2006, 02:06 PM
what about your neck? arn't you feeling bad pain, run down to the store and get a neck brace, ill have my peeps give your peeps a call. from the law offices of dui cheatum & howe.
I hope your kidding!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-09-2006, 03:13 PM
my neck, my back, my neck and my back :crossx: :crossx:

atxwrangler
09-09-2006, 03:31 PM
WHERE AM I?????? :D :D :D WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS?? :D :D

HBjet
09-09-2006, 04:18 PM
That sucks.... I would check out a shop called Orange County Boat Repair. They have been in the business for a long time and from what I have been told they do some great work.
ORANGE COUNTY BOAT REPAIR
8351 Monroe Ave., Stanton, CA. 90680
Tel: 714 827-6247
HBjet

BrendellaJet
09-09-2006, 08:18 PM
my neck, my back, my neck and my back :crossx: :crossx:
I want a 150 thousand dollars...but we can settle out of court for right now for 20 dallaz. :crossx:

Hiddenvalley-Kid
09-10-2006, 03:16 AM
Be serious! If it hit the jet the load is taken in the motormounts on the stringers and the pickup on the hull. Look for cracks inside and outside on the pickup and around the motormounts on the the stringers. I bought 1 like that out of impound and had to skillsaw the hull. got some good parts but found bent shaft in really nice JG pump.

olbiezer
09-10-2006, 05:10 AM
if the guy that hit ya had insurance.......take it to that shop mentioned about explane what happened and let the ins co fix your boat for ya or totale it and get your money.......remember the first offer is just testing ya lol good luck :argue: :) :rollside:

502 JET
09-10-2006, 06:17 AM
The pump is not designed to be hit from behind!If the suction housing or intake housing is cracked (may not be visible) and it fails the boat will sink.
Make them pay!
Get estimates from 2-3 jet boat shops to turn into the guys insurance company.Have them also appraise the real value and replacement value of your boat so the insurance company wont try and say it is only worth $1000. and total it on you.The more info the estimate has the better so the insurance company cant try and short change you.

UBFJ #454
09-10-2006, 06:52 AM
If I were you I'd have it checked out throughly by at least two (2), if not three (3) jet boat shops (Jack McClure ...MPD, Tom Papp, Greg Shoemacher (sp?), etc.). By doing this not only would you be ready for your insurance claim but, you'd also pretty much have found all of the damage done.
No, jet pumps don't like being rear ended ... Every time we tow to a Race, I probably spent more time looking in the rear view mirror than I do looking forward as being rear ended by some little old lady (or, man) scares the hell out of me ... I also tow with alot of multi-colored surveyors flagging tied onto the bucket to get everyone's attention (at night, the flagging flying around causes a random appearance of the rear lights ... kinda a random flashing). Additionally, I pump the brakes alot when getting caught in creaping traffic or stopped at a light ... Just to warn those approaching from the rear.

bp
09-10-2006, 07:08 AM
i'd also be concerned about the engine. depending on the damage to the pump, and how hard it was hit, it's possible the driveshaft/hblock was knocked forward hard enough to cause damage to the bottom end, that may not be immediately noticeable.

Duane HTP
09-10-2006, 07:36 AM
We had that happen to a customer of ours some tiime ago. We looked the boat over very carefully and thought we had repaired all of the damage. It was a pretty high HP Eliminator. The second time back to the lake after the accident, the front thrust bearing broke off of the pump at pretty high speed and sunk the boat. So, look it over very carefully. We feel that the impact of the hit from behind had cracked the thrust bearing housing. Good Luck!

flat broke
09-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Take it to multiple shops to have it looked over, but you also might want to talk to the insurance company (yours or theirs) and see if they have a marine surveyor they use. Either way, the scary part is that it may be hard to spot some of the damage that may only present itself after a few trips.
As far as shops near LB, B&K boat repair in Bellflower then OC boat repair off the 22 and beach. But I'd also have one of the pump gurus look the pump and related hardware over as well. Jack at MPD is closest to Long Beach, but if you already have a relationship with another shop, by all means use them.
Sorry to hear it happened, but make sure you document EVERYTHING in the event that a problem that wasn't found upon initial inspection can be handled through insurance.
Chris

isthismikeon?
09-10-2006, 09:07 AM
I'm the guy that hit you that day and there wasnt any visible damage that I saw. ( Alhough my vision was somewhat blurry) I will not stand for this legal wrangling, but I will sit down and have anothewr beer. Sell the boat.....its an ugly azz color anyway............................................ ................................Is this mike on?

Captain Assin' Off
09-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Hate to admit it, but one inebriated evening, following my pal up an onramp, towing my Hondo, I rear-ended my pal. I hit his jet hard, just slicing my fender like a ripe watermelon. It didn't appear to harm the boat at all, but back in the water, he had no oil pressure. We tore down the engine, only to find the impact knocked his oil pump pick-up free of the pump. At least fire it up to check oil pressure. No lawsuits were filed in connection with this incident...

out of bounds
09-11-2006, 08:22 PM
have the motor tore down and look at the bearings. you should just replace them while you are there it could not hert anything, right.just make sure that you have everthing looked and then look at it again. only my 2 cents but have herd and seen the unseen come back and bite u in the ass way to many times. GOOD LUCK