PDA

View Full Version : Derebery Motors Lied to everyone about my motor!

John.
09-09-2006, 03:25 PM

djunkie
09-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Wow. That sucks you had to go through all that. Sometimes you just don't know what you are getting when you buy a boat with a motor like that.
I really like this quote here. Anyone else think it sounds funny? :crossx: :crossx:
At first Leon insisted that the spark plugs wires must have been changed from what he built. Leon then insisted that he built these plugs himself and they could run a big rig motor. He says they are perfectly fine.
]

Beer-30
09-09-2006, 03:46 PM
I thought all diesels ran Mallory wires? LOL. :hammerhea

F26
09-09-2006, 03:49 PM
sounds like a lot of sh$t going on at Texoma...im glad for the net these days

djunkie
09-09-2006, 03:50 PM
I thought all diesels ran Mallory wires? LOL. :hammerhea
I liked to run good old Bosch wires on all the diesels I used to build. The good old 60 series dertroit liked Delco wires though. :crossx: :crossx:

F26
09-09-2006, 03:54 PM
what a POS... Peon sounds more like a used car salesman!

SnoopJonnyJon
09-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Actually, I bet a big rig would run perfectly fine on those wires :) . A gas engine that requires spark though :cry: .

riverbound
09-09-2006, 04:02 PM
I have a buddy that bought an Ultra with a Derebery motor...and he too has had nothing but problems. he doesnt even run the boat anymore, it just sits.

djunkie
09-09-2006, 04:04 PM
I have a buddy that bought an Ultra with a Derebery motor...and he too has had nothing but problems. he doesnt even run the boat anymore, it just sits.
Has Gordon even had that boat out more than a couple times?

riverbound
09-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Has Gordon even had that boat out more than a couple times?
I have never even seen the boat, let alone seen him drive it. But I wasnt going to name any names ;-)
I figure a thread like this might actually get him to post for once, instead of lurk. :crossx:

riverbound
09-09-2006, 04:16 PM
We were lucky enough to get out on the water about 10 times for a total of 10 hours and had problems 8 of those times out on the water, having to be towed in 4 times.
If I recall correctly, you might have more trips and more hours than him.
<--- could be wrong.

Beer-30
09-09-2006, 04:16 PM
We were lucky enough to get out on the water about 10 times for a total of about 10 hours. I think we broke down at least 8 out of 10 times out on the water and actually had to be towed in on 4 different occasions.
So, out of curiosity, around how much was this motor?

ratso
09-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Derebery built the motor for Jesse James "for free" with the idea that they were going to get some free advertising on TV from the build. They basically convinced all their vendors to donate the parts; and then Derebery put it all together. They claim it is worth $50k. We bought the boat (including motor) from Jesse. Everything was represented as being in tip top brand new shape.
I'm spending about $10k fixing it.
The biggest thing that I don't get is why Derebery lied about the motor size. They misrepresented to everyone, including me, that this motor was a 632 cubic inch when it was actually only a 604 ci.
It seems he lied about a lot more than motor size. Hopefully all your motor issues are worked out now... Cool ass looking boat.

GBarron97
09-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Well, after a number of issues with our motor and missing out on boating for the past 3 months, we decided to go with a complete rebuild and I can’t tell you how happy I am to have decided to go this route. When we took the motor out to replace the broken tranny, our mechanic Jory decided to take a good look at things. Here’s what we found and some answers that I got back from Leon Derebery (who built the motor):
1. the oil pump was held together with glue. The glue cracked.
Answer from Leon Derebery “motor builders are like bakers. They all do it a little differently. Using epoxy on the oil pump is perfectly fine”.
2. the crank had the weights pressure fitted in. why not weld the weights to ensure they never come out?
Answer from Leon Derebery “motor builders are like bakers. They all do it a little differently”.
3. the paint on the bell housing doesn’t match the paint on the rest of the motor. We had a lot of paint chipping off. We then saw that on the underside of the oil pan the clear coat was streaking. Why not do a good job painting?
No answer from Leon Derebery on this one.
4. the harmonic balancer is too large for the crank. It slides on too easily. Also, the crank has 2 keyholes cut in it and the balancer has 1. no keys were used, the 1 hole was filled with silicone.
Answer from Leon Derebery “wouldn’t have let it leave the shop like that”.
5. The intake sits too high.
no answer.
6. The heads are in good shape, but why paint them? They are a nice aluminum and the paint on them flaked off.
no answer.
7. Do we have a BDS computer? Or a Fast computer? What it looks like is we have a FAST with a BDS sticker over it…
it’s a fast computer, just changed the sticker
8. it looks like the spark plug wires were originally built by Derebery. We were able to zoom in on a pic of the motor from when you shipped it to Ultra and the plug wires we found to be built bad match the plug wires that were on the motor when it was delivered. One of the plug wires was 1350 ohms when it should be in a 30 to 40 range. Most did not have the clamps on correctly and one did not even have a clamp on it. I dunno how the boat even ran.
At first Leon insisted that the spark plugs wires must have been changed from what he built. Leon then insisted that he built these plugs himself and they could run a big rig motor. He says they are perfectly fine.
9. When our motor builder went to measure out the cylinders to order new pistons, he called me and said that we don’t have a 632 block, we have a 604. he then called to order the pistons form the same company that Derebery got them from and indeed, Derebery ordered pistons for a 604. This motor has been advertised all over the place as a 632 and it turns out that Leon lied.
Leon’s answer “The only difference is the bore size , if it were a 632 now that you are needing to bore it, you would be buying a new 3500.00 block.”
10. Water temp sensor was set to test lake water (before it entered the motor) and was being held in place with a piece of red tape.
11. Crank trigger is ¼ inch off from where it should be.
Leon’s answer “it’s perfectly fine for the crank trigger to be off by ¼ inch. I do it all the time and have motors go 700 to 800 like that.”
Answer from MSD “it must be dead nuts on”.
I can’t believe that Leon actually lied to everyone about the block size. When I asked him why he misrepresented the motor size he said “you just wouldn’t understand. It’s a complicated deal. And there is no big difference between a 604, 620 and 632. Just a few horsepower.” I can honestly suggest to everyone, it is a seriously bad idea to buy a Derebery motor. This POS motor that Derebery built only lasted 18 hours and we were lucky it lasted that long.
We’re now near completion of rebuilding this motor. Motor Machine is Carmichael is doing the build and found most of the issues on the motor. They are perfectionists and are making sure that we fix everything and assemble the motor the right way this time. Hutchinson Racing fixed the blower. Jory with SOS Marine fixed our drive that blew and will re-install the motor for us. Jory is also going to paint this beast a nice purple color instead of the kermit green it used to be. The motor is now a 620 and we anticipate somewhere in the 1100hp range. We’re hooked to the dyno now, but need to get a new O2 sensor before putting a load on the motor. We will hopefully have on Tuesday.
Here are some pics:
This is the oil pump that Derebery insists is "perfectly fine"
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/jrambrose/DSC01888.jpg
Here are the spark plug wires that Leon says "would run a big rig". notice anything wrong with these wires?
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/jrambrose/DSC01882.jpg
fairly big oil leak for just 18 hours
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/jrambrose/DSC01873.jpg
Derebery's top of the line paint job. can you see the streaking?
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/jrambrose/DSC01895.jpg
why would you paint these beautiful aluminum heads?
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/jrambrose/DSC01901.jpg
on the dyno at Motor Machine ready to go. check out the new valve covers...
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/jrambrose/IMGA0491.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/jrambrose/IMGA0493.jpg
I am sorry you had to deal with this guy. He has a very questionable reputation around the poker run circles. I had him take a look at one of mine a few years ago, and needless to say, he will never lay a finger on one of my engines again. We had a bad cam sensor and he actually wanted to drill a hole in my front cover to install a temporary sensor. I asked how he was going to lock it in place. His answer was....You guessed it. Epoxy. So I had a friend pull the front cover( which took an hour) and do it right. Haven't had a problem since.

Daytona100
09-09-2006, 04:47 PM
No wonder Jesse sold the POS soon after it was built!!! Hope you got a smokin deal on it to make up for all the BS. :cry:

djunkie
09-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Hey dunkie if you'd like one put in the boat when your ready I'll do it just for you. HEY HAA
:crossx: :crossx:

F26
09-09-2006, 05:19 PM
No wonder Jesse sold the POS soon after it was built!!! Hope you got a smokin deal on it to make up for all the BS. :cry:
pay up sucka!

RitcheyRch
09-09-2006, 05:27 PM
New motor looking good. Sorry you had to go through all the crap with the old engine builder.

buzzaro
09-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Do you know what also caused the drive to break?

deltaAce
09-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Derebery built the motor for Jesse James "for free" with the idea that they were going to get some free advertising on TV from the build. We bought the boat (including motor) from Jesse. Everything was represented as being in tip top brand new shape.
The biggest thing that I don't get is why Derebery lied about the motor size. They misrepresented to everyone, including me, that this motor was a 632 cubic inch when it was actually only a 604 ci.
I'm trying to be nice so here goes......If he built it for free, he's not contractualy obligated to do anything! He can say the engine is any size (632-604=5% difference). Who cares what the underside of the oil pan looks like, he painted it for FREE! He might of painted the pretty aluminum heads to prevent oxidation, a common practice on marine componets. Jesse or a buddy yanked on the plug wires, they don't care, they piss money! The cracked epoxy on the oil pump pick-up tube........it didn't fail! All in all, Jesse got what he paid for-A Free Boat Motor! The guy probably "slapped it together" for Jesse to beat the crap out of, then sell to someone...They had their fun with a disposable (to them) boat! I hope Jesse sold it to you for a good deal to off-set the additional costs that you have encured. I am glad to hear you are doing things the right way for a boat you plan on enjoying, with pride.

BADBLOWN572
09-09-2006, 06:32 PM
I am definitely not impressed with Derebery at all. Our friend bought one of his naturally aspirated 572 engines at a very nice penny. They had approximatley 15 hours on the boat before the motor popped. Guess what, zero help what so ever in fixing it. :(

Beer-30
09-09-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm trying to be nice so here goes......If he built it for free, he's not contractualy obligated to do anything! He can say the engine is any size (632-604=5% difference). Who cares what the underside of the oil pan looks like, he painted it for FREE! He might of painted the pretty aluminum heads to prevent oxidation, a common practice on marine componets. Jesse or a buddy yanked on the plug wires, they don't care, they piss money! The cracked epoxy on the oil pump pick-up tube........it didn't fail! All in all, Jesse got what he paid for-A Free Boat Motor! The guy probably "slapped it together" for Jesse to beat the crap out of, then sell to someone...They had their fun with a disposable (to them) boat! I hope Jesse sold it to you for a good deal to off-set the additional costs that you have encured. I am glad to hear you are doing things the right way for a boat you plan on enjoying, with pride.
A few good points here. The epoxy, I have seen for holding in screens in the valley - which have no stress or real vibration issues. A pickup tube has some loading and alot of vibration issues and should always be welded. True, it didn't fail, but it would have.
Painting or coating AL heads is, you're right, fairly common. I noticed Merc Racing does it on theirs. To be honest, I am surprised they were actually AL on THIS motor.
Knowing now that it was "provided" for the show says alot. He wasn't going to get paid for it and probably actually thought it would just be a show piece and not run much - if a all - since Jesse usually blew up his Monster stuff anyway.
However. He would have saved a lot of hassel and bad publicity if he had simply taken the motor back and "freshened" it up the right way. Derebery probably now lost a lot more than it would have cost.
Too bad.
At least you know it is all correct now and it didn't cost you $50k. I guess that's the bright side? :)

djunkie
09-09-2006, 06:52 PM
MSD all the way:D:D
:rollside: :rollside:

VanDeano
09-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Why do the Super Rich get shit for free anyways??? Must be nice. He probably got the bitchin paint job for free. Including the trailer. I should of been a movie star. Then he turns around a sales and then he makes money off it. What a slap in the face to everyone who donated there time and money. Bad ass boat thats for sure!

Chipster27
09-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Ok I'll ask the naive question. Why would Ultra, with their impeccable reputation, let this boat leave their factory with a POS motor?
I just don't get it. Did Ultra build the boat, then send it to JJ and he had the motor installed? Seems to me (again naively) that Ultra would not let the boat leave unless the thing was "the shiznit"

Chipster27
09-09-2006, 07:23 PM
JW has been supportive and helping us out with getting things fixed.
Good to hear, from what I've read I wouldn't expect anthing less from JW. But couldn't they see some of the blatent defects you mention? Runs in the paint? JB Weld (or epoxy) etc...
Hope you get it all figured out, that is a smokin hot boat, bummer about the $10k :cry:

Beer-30
09-09-2006, 07:32 PM
As far as the guys at Ultra knew, this boat was "the shiznit". They did an awesome job on their part. The only person who knew that the motor was poorly built (until we found out) was Derebery. Derebery lied to everyone about it.
JW has been supportive and helping us out with getting things fixed.
Case in point.
Had JW/Ultra said; "hey, screw you. That was built for Jesse, and how do WE know you didn't switch a bunch of chit around?" ; they would have been blackballed by alot of peeps on here. By helping and being supportive, he/they have kept their excellent rep. Good for JW. That's good biz.

Chipster27
09-09-2006, 07:38 PM
...By helping and being supportive, he/they have kept their excellent rep. Good for JW. That's good biz.
Yup, that's important for the perspective buyer to see the mfgr stepping up.

soupersonic
09-09-2006, 07:45 PM
It doesnt matter if it was for free or not,if you agreed to supply the motor no matter if your getting publicity or not then build it with some pride. This derebery guy sounds like a real weiner.He is probably out there screaming that he builds engines for Jesse James, attracting customers. In reality the junk he tries to build is held together with ty wire, chewing gum and duct tape and he is collecting good money for it and screwing up peoples boating seasons.
On a side note,
I was just reading some similar crap about this guy on another board.I think it was the old owner of Derebery that was screwing alot of people. I think (dont quote me on this) that it is under new ownership and doing well.

dossangers
09-09-2006, 07:46 PM
well the good news is at least you got a 600+ ci motor! as far as the rest of the stuff buyer beware no matter who owned the boat!! :rollside:

soupersonic
09-09-2006, 08:14 PM
I think it's still the same owner. i talked to Leon last week and he's the guy who built the motor a little over a year ago. I don't think the business has sold in the last week.
This guy has a nice add in the new PB mag and he's listed in there as one of 20 top builders.What a piece of work :rolleyes:

spectras only
09-09-2006, 08:56 PM
A pickup tube has some loading and alot of vibration issues and should always be welded. True, it didn't fail, but it would have.
Actually , the pickup tube would be the least of my concern ;) If the tube had a nice snug fit , wouldn't have needed the epoxy [ the cracked away chips would be just floating in the pan ] anyway. The bracket welded on the tube has a through bolt fastened to the pump body :rollside:

MBlaster
09-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Thats a damn shame.
What a freaking douche bag.

Badboat1
09-10-2006, 05:34 AM
I have fixed alot of his shit engines last one was a 540 with a cast crank in it that broke in half.Oil pump screen not welded fell off ruined the block.Wrong pushrod length.A kid do a better job. The owner had the boat out for the 2nd time when it broke. Sorry for your luck also. In my opion he is a crook

Howie Feltersnatch
09-10-2006, 06:01 AM
It doesnt matter if it was for free or not,if you agreed to supply the motor no matter if your getting publicity or not then build it with some pride. This derebery guy sounds like a real weiner.He is probably out there screaming that he builds engines for Jesse James, attracting customers. In reality the junk he tries to build is held together with ty wire, chewing gum and duct tape and he is collecting good money for it and screwing up peoples boating seasons.
Ya think?
http://www.dereberyperformancemarine.com/monster.htm

Watchdog
09-10-2006, 07:24 AM
Mr Derebery deserves all the comments he can get on here, Here is my story: About 4 years ago I bought a 34' Sea Ray cruiser from the Slalom Shop in Dallas, was owned by Leon Derebery, 7.4L engines overhauled and 90 day warranty from Derebery. First 3 hours, 2 trips out, starboard engine started noise and drinking oil,,checked compression,,none on 4 & 6 cylinders,,pulled head, hole in piston, piston gaulded, cylinder wall damage,,Derebery would not warranty it, I threatened to sue Derebery and Slalom Shop. With in 3 days The Slalom Shop had me an engine in Arkansas in their pickup. They stood behind what they sold when Derebery wouldn't. I wouldn't touch anything that Derebery had his hands on again.

Bradman
09-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Ya think?
DPM Specialized Services
Derebery performance Marine evaluates, modifies and builds all types of marine engines with the finest equipment available. Only the highest quality parts are used for all engine applications to ensure the most reliable engine life. Among its many accreditations, the Derebery Team is also certified for Volvo Penta gas and diesel engines. :confused: :confused: :confused: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

Dribble
09-10-2006, 07:37 AM
I have literally seen better work out of the mechanics at the some of the discount chain auto shops. What a piece of crap. Love that epoxy, nice touch. I guess Derebery doesn't have access to a wire feed welder.

Watchdog
09-10-2006, 07:43 AM
DPM Specialized Services
Derebery performance Marine evaluates, modifies and builds all types of marine engines with the finest equipment available. Only the highest quality parts are used for all engine applications to ensure the most reliable engine life. Among its many accreditations, the Derebery Team is also certified for Volvo Penta gas and diesel engines. :confused: :confused: :confused: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
Yeah, right!

Panic Button
09-10-2006, 07:44 AM
I was going to buy a new long block from them this summer. I was all set, they said they accept Credit Cards, I filled out their form and called them with my info, then they said no CC's on big $$ items only on thing less than $100. Now I know why, you could dispute the charges...

Bradman
09-10-2006, 08:06 AM
Ya think?
Just checked out the website. It's funny, you can click on the boat and the image will enlarge. Click on the motor and nothing. Wonder why that is?

wsuwrhr
09-10-2006, 08:35 AM
I have literally seen better work out of the mechanics at the some of the discount chain auto shops. What a piece of crap. Love that epoxy, nice touch. I guess Derebery doesn't have access to a wire feed welder.
A TIG would be even nicer.
Brian

Redneck
09-10-2006, 08:46 AM
Just a little side not you might want to bring up Big rigs dont have spark plugs so they wouldnt have spark plug wires.

Redneck
09-10-2006, 08:48 AM
good luck on your new motor

wsuwrhr
09-10-2006, 09:12 AM
1. the oil pump was held together with glue. The glue cracked.
Welding is a much better method.
2. the crank had the weights pressure fitted in. why not weld the weights to ensure they never come out?
Some weld, some don't.
3. the paint on the bell housing doesn’t match the paint on the rest of the motor. We had a lot of paint chipping off. We then saw that on the underside of the oil pan the clear coat was streaking. Why not do a good job painting?
Not THAT big of a deal is it?
4. the harmonic balancer is too large for the crank. It slides on too easily. Also, the crank has 2 keyholes cut in it and the balancer has 1. no keys were used, the 1 hole was filled with silicone.
No keys were used? Damn, surprised the motor was even able to drive the blower, "that thing should haul the mail son." Too loose is bad. Much better durability with a doubled keyed snout and balancer. Maybe it was high strength silicone?
5. The intake sits too high.
Meaning what? The ports didn't line up top to bottom?
6. The heads are in good shape, but why paint them? They are a nice aluminum and the paint on them flaked off.
Is this REALLY a big deal? Some paint heads, some don't.
7. Do we have a BDS computer? Or a Fast computer? What it looks like is we have a FAST with a BDS sticker over it…
Is this REALLY a big deal?
8. it looks like the spark plug wires were originally built by Derebery. We were able to zoom in on a pic of the motor from when you shipped it to Ultra and the plug wires we found to be built bad match the plug wires that were on the motor when it was delivered. One of the plug wires was 1350 ohms when it should be in a 30 to 40 range. Most did not have the clamps on correctly and one did not even have a clamp on it. I dunno how the boat even ran.
Wires are cheap.
9. When our motor builder went to measure out the cylinders to order new pistons, he called me and said that we don’t have a 632 block, we have a 604. he then called to order the pistons form the same company that Derebery got them from and indeed, Derebery ordered pistons for a 604. This motor has been advertised all over the place as a 632 and it turns out that Leon lied.
540-570-580-604-632, big deal, bragging rights only. Is the motor maxed out as far as horsepower? Are you wringing it's neck EVERY time you go out? If the motor ran right, you never would have noticed a power difference. 20 some inches less? The volume of a coupla soda cans.
10. Water temp sensor was set to test lake water (before it entered the motor) and was being held in place with a piece of red tape.
Shoddy for sure.
11. Crank trigger is ¼ inch off from where it should be.
1/4 away? 1/4 from correct timing? 1/4" of air gap?
I think some of the things you mentioned are a REAL big deal, some are kinda petty. The paint job? It's friggen green dude. Who cares?
It was friggen green when you bought the boat. Bust out a can and get to it.
But as a whole you really got worked over. The whole deal seems jacked.
Seems that the builder threw something together thinking noone would care or ever look into what was built.
For all you know, this is what Jesse asked for, a big-inch-sounding motor to run around a few times for a TV show, and then just let it sit, or just dump it.
Which seems to be the case.
Stories like this are all too common, and I am glad I have always built my own motors.
Sorry for your luck.
Seems that Ultra built a nice hull, so when you get the motor squared away, you should be off to town.
Brian

wsuwrhr
09-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Another thought....
What was Jesse's take on the deal?
What were the terms of the sale?
What did HE tell YOU about the boat when you bought it?
Brian

wsuwrhr
09-10-2006, 09:48 AM
I don't know for sure, but from everything I've heard from people that know him (read this as have done "business" with him), I could guess it wasn't encouraging.
I am not defending the motor builder, Jesse or Ultra. I just posted my thoughts on the situation from another propective.
From what is sounds, the motor was haphazardly assembled.
Some of the things I read about the whole deal made me scratch my head though.
Brian

al cole'holic
09-10-2006, 10:04 AM
You had to know you were buying a boat that had absolutely no sort of warranty to you...?

wsuwrhr
09-10-2006, 10:15 AM
We're still trying to get ahold of Jesse. We never actually talked to him personally, but everything was represented to be in tip top shape. Lesson learned, should have had the motor checked out before finalizing the purchase deal, but we made a mistake and trusted that all was good. I mean, it only had 6 hours on the boat when we got it.
Yes sir, I understand the boat had low h0ours on it.
Unfurtunately as far as the motor goes, unless you took the motor apart, you still would have not known all that was wrong with it.
Buyer beware on ANY used motor that is assembled, unfortunately that is just the way it is.
I had never even heard of Dereberry before THIS motor in THIS boat.
What I meant by my post was, you don't know EXACTLY what the terms of the build were. That motor wasn't built for you, it was built for Jesse, and for all we know, it wasn't even built for Jesse. It was a freebie deal to get some exposure for all parties involved. Maybe Jesse ASKED for exactly what he got, a motor he didn't have to pay for.
That is why I said what I said, what did the seller say about the motor? If the boat/motor was represented to be what you say, up and up, then I would be asking these questions to the seller with my hand out, WAY BEFORE I had ever called the motor builder.
Brian

SummitKarl
09-10-2006, 10:21 AM
I CURMBA :rolleyes: .....
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/jrambrose/DSC01888.jpg

wsuwrhr
09-10-2006, 10:21 AM
used boat, big motor, big drive, no warranty. I did honestly make a mistake here and regret the purchase.
JW has been very concerned about what is going on and has been helping us get the boat back on the water.
I don't think you made a mistake. Are you upside down on the deal? I remember you posting when you first bought it that you were happy with the price.
If you had to build this boat from scratch how much would it have cost? If the motor was worth 50K, then I am pretty sure you still made out on the deal.
Like I said already, the hull is in nice shape right? The drive is in nice shape right? Once you get the motor issues out of the way, you are all set for years.
I seriously doubt Ultra would build a shit boat for any reason, especially with his presense here.
If you can't sleep at night, get the drive looked at before you get back out in the water.
I think you'll be all right.
"Two best days of owning a boat, the day you buy it and the day you sell it." Hopefully you got to use it the same day you bought it to lengthen the first best day.
Brian

RitcheyRch
09-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Wondering if JW will ever do business with Derebery again.

wsuwrhr
09-10-2006, 10:26 AM
not really that big of a deal, but added in with the other shoddy work it just goes to show the poor workmanship. If you paid $50k for this motor, would you want it to look really nice?
You didn't pay 50K for this motor though.
Correct, the ports did not line up correctly
The manifold needed to be machined on the port faces to be able to drop down farther. Poor assembly for sure.
It made things a little more difficult when researching what we needed to fix and what software we needed to get. more of though, why misrepresent what computer is on the motor???
Maybe BDS supplied the comp and wanted THEIR name on it instead of FAST. Reasonable.
bragging rights and false advertisement. seems a little fradulent to me...
Fraudlulent? Maybe, but hardly a crime. With that big ass huffer and chiller YOU wouldn't have ever noticed the difference anyway, it if was a "little" 540.
1/4 inch off to the side. the bracket for the crank trigger does not line up the hole correctly, causing it to fire at an angle.
Once again poor assembly.
You're definitely right. some of the things I mentioned are kind of petty. I just wanted to show a complete picture of the poor workmanship on their part.

wsuwrhr
09-10-2006, 10:39 AM
you are definitely correct. buyer beware on any used motor purchase. we did make a mistake and trusted a source that things were represented as they were. it ends up that the motor was not as it was represented.
You're also correct that we do not know exactly the terms of the deal. all we know is what was represented to us and what we read about the boat in the magazines prior to the purchase. The seller is Jesse and we are trying to get ahold of him to talk about the situation.
I would even go one step farther and say,
If you have never even talked to him, sounds to me like whomever SOLD the boat to you is the person misrepresenting the boat. That is who I would have my hand out to. That is my opinion.
I was under the impression you handed Jesse James the cash-ola.
Big difference.
As shitty as it sounds, it seems that neither JJ nor Derebery made any false claims about the boat.
Just because it was written in a magazine doesn't necessarily make it true.
Now I am curious who actually made the deal with you.
Every fast boat was 100MPH boat until GPS was commonplace.
Brian

Kilrtoy
09-10-2006, 11:22 AM
I would even go one step farther and say,
If you have never even talked to him, sounds to me like whomever SOLD the boat to you is the person misrepresenting the boat. That is who I would have my hand out to. That is my opinion.
I was under the impression you handed Jesse James the cash-ola.
Big difference.
As shitty as it sounds, it seems that neither JJ nor Derebery made any false claims about the boat.
Just because it was written in a magazine doesn't necessarily make it true.
Now I am curious who actually made the deal with you.
Every fast boat was 100MPH boat until GPS was commonplace.
Brian
Im sure JW sold him the boat. Knowing JW , He sold this boat in good faith that the motor was whole and in working order at 100%.
Who cares if this guy built it for free or 100K , he built it, he advertises it on his website as if he is motor builder to the stars and so forth...
He should fix the motor and make it right.
Every fast boat was 100MPH boat until GPS was commonplace.Brian
LOL, now they are trying props and buying CMI headers to get past the 65MPH mark
:boxed:

wsuwrhr
09-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Brian, get off the damn puter and get to fabricating!!!
Rio
I don't fab much, some but not much, Scott of SB products does the fab work.
But to answer the question you TRIED to ask, I am posting between spats on the computer between jobs.
After buying the material for your job, cheap ain't even in the program.
haha.
Brian

wsuwrhr
09-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Who cares if this guy built it for free or 100K , he built it, he advertises it on his website as if he is motor builder to the stars and so forth...
He should fix the motor and make it right.
Not necessarily, it depends on the terms of the deal JJ and the builder had.
the point is, Jesse may have said,"I don't care how long it runs if it is free, I'm not keeping it." Unlikely, but the terms of the deal haven't been brought to light.
In all reality it is a used motor, bought second hand, with what sounds like no warrantee whatsoever.
UJ says HE hasn't talked to Jesse about the motor in his boat.
In my opinion the motor in the boat may have served it's purpose as far as the original owner was concerned.
It seems the engine builder has displayed some shoddy work in the past, so everywhere you look, this deal seems poor.
I am just glad I am able to build my own motors.
Brian

riverbound
09-10-2006, 12:59 PM
I do have to point out a few things.
Magazine features are rarely ever if ever accurate. When I used to build promo vehicles for companies we embellished the truth on a VERY consistant basis. these vehilces were used to promote brand rrecognition (just like this West coast F*cker boat was). It was a promotional deal that Ultra and Jesse James had worked out (and we dont know all the details)
Although it sucks that you bought a boat and have had to deal with these issues, do you really expect to have jesse pay for your motor? or do you really expect Derebery to pay for the repairs?
All of the conditions and warranties on this boat were between the original people involved in this deal. Did you actually pay derebery for the motor?
It is nice that you pointed these problems out and that will hopefully help others make their decisions when they are having a motor built. But I highly doubt that at this point Derebery or JJ or JW, are going to be puling any money out of their pockets to help you fix your boat.
Like was stated earlier, I have a buddy that has a derebery powered Ultra. and that boat has also been a problem to him since day one. If the way he was treated by Ultra and Derebery are any indicator of how you will be treated, I would have to say you are wasting your time, trying to get any reslolve. He was even the original purchaser of the boat, he was the one whos money went directly to derebery and Ultra. It wasnt even a used boat purchase.

Tom Brown
09-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Maybe it was high strength silicone?
When I build an engine, I never cheap out on the discount silicone. I always pop for the good shit. :cool:
JW has been very concerned about what is going on and has been helping us get the boat back on the water.
I think you're on the right path. Now that you have found someone who cares about their work, they will put together a good engine for you. Personally, I'd stay close to the build process if for no other reason than to feel good about it.
As far as the boat goes, you know it is a good boat and will provide many years of enjoyment. The engine/drive problems are a distraction and annoyance but you will get past this.
You'll be out there harassing people with water balloons in no time. :D

Tom Brown
09-10-2006, 01:04 PM
I mostly wish that I didn't have to. when I bought the boat I sure didn't plan on spending another $10k on rebuilding the motor.
Yeah, that would certainly be a piss off.
One thing about fire breathing motors though, they don't always breathe the fire where you want them too. There's no 1500 hour tbo blown big blocks.
If you keep this boat for a while, you will get to experience the joy of more rebuilds after this one.

PHX ATC
09-10-2006, 01:12 PM
I feel your pain...BUT,
1) It was a boat with no warranty. (I think.)
2) It was an engine with no warranty.
Shoddy workmanship, yes. Right to complain, yes. Dairybee engine builder has to pony up cash, no.
I think you are SOL on getting funds or support of any kind from the engine builder. I'm glad Ultra boats is going to bat in some sort of way, even if emotional support, for you.
What's that ole saying, caveat emptor? Buyer beware?
You rolls your dice, you take your chances.
You're doing to best to let the world know that he's a slipshod, cheapskate, corner cutter of an engine builder. Keep it up.
Toby

wsuwrhr
09-10-2006, 01:35 PM
All I do know is that's not what he said in the ***boat article written up on this boat. He fully intended on using the boat.
Yep,
What he said in ***boat MUST be true.
...and 6 hours later the boat had a for sale sign on it.
Brian

wsuwrhr
09-10-2006, 01:35 PM
I do have to point out a few things.
Magazine features are rarely ever if ever accurate. When I used to build promo vehicles for companies we embellished the truth on a VERY consistant basis. these vehilces were used to promote brand rrecognition (just like this West coast F*cker boat was). It was a promotional deal that Ultra and Jesse James had worked out (and we dont know all the details)
Ding..............Ding............................ .....................Ding.
Exactly what I said.
Brian

wsuwrhr
09-10-2006, 01:59 PM
One thing about fire breathing motors though, they don't always breathe the fire where you want them too.
There's no 1500 hour blown big blocks.
If you keep this boat for a while, you will get to experience the joy of more rebuilds after this one.
Yep, what he said.
There was a thread in the gearheads section I think about normal time between rebuilds on a blown gas motor.
Brian

wsuwrhr
09-10-2006, 02:01 PM
I doubt that. Since I haven't talked to Jesse, I can't say anything for sure. All I do know is that's not what he said in the ***boat article written up on this boat. He fully intended on using the boat.
Did you buy the boat because you wanted THIS boat, or did you buy it because Jesse James owned it?
Brian

wsuwrhr
09-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Blown engine life thread (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96657)

wsuwrhr
09-10-2006, 03:17 PM
okay, i just checked out that thread and it seems that most every would expect the motor to last more than 18 hours.
I bumped the thread becuase this motor in your boat will need periodic maintainace in the future. Figured it would be good reading.
Brian

wsuwrhr
09-10-2006, 03:26 PM
so then, you seem to think it's okay to lie in a nationally publicated magazine? it wasn't a little embelishment, Derebery lied and probably did it with the intention of drumming up more business.
Lie?
It is a lie like everyone saying their boat is 100MPH boat.
EVERY Ebay boat does at least 140MPH and at least 850HP.
Saying a motor is 632ci when it really is 604ci? Come on.
You are upset about 28ci? I just don't get it. Do you know how to figure out volume? Do you have any idea how little a difference 604 is to 632?
Would have have turned the boat down if he had told you up front the motor is smaller than it was?
I'm just saying the quality of workmanship is the big issue, the other shit is just that, shit.
If you aren't upside down in the boat, then take your licks and a lesson learned. If you are, then figure out how you will recoup the money from JJ, yourself, or Ultra, or whoever you feel is responsible.
But don't think this rebuild on your blower motor will be your last.
Brian

wsuwrhr
09-10-2006, 03:35 PM
so then, you seem to think it's okay to lie in a nationally publicated magazine? it wasn't a little embelishment, Derebery lied and probably did it with the intention of drumming up more business.
I am trying to figure out why you are so upset that he lied? Lied about what?
How do you know what JJ wanted the boat to look like? Maybe JJ wanted the boat represented a certain way."It is more complicated than that"
All Im saying is if the floating boat is worth 40K or so and the motor(in perfect condition) is worth 50K, the drive is worth 20K, and you put 10K in the motor to fix it, and you paid less than 80K for it, then you are OK in my book.
You couldn't build the boat for less than that, you basicially got a motor that was half assed of 50K, say for a discount of 25K. All of your hard parts are OK. The big bucks stuff, block, heads, crank, rods, blower and induction parts.
All this stuff adds up.
Brian

wsuwrhr
09-10-2006, 03:41 PM
wsuwrhr, when?
Man you are like a pimple you just can't spray on the mirror, no matter how hard you sqeezer', it just won't POP.
After the SandSport show, I am making pulleys for some LS's.
I have your parts all "drawn" up.
You in a hurry, or you just want to bed them ASAP?
Brian

rivercrazy
09-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Is Ultra still using BRE (Beck Racing Engines) for high performance needs? I seem to recall one boat having very significant problems with this engine builder too....

HOSS
09-10-2006, 05:10 PM
I, for one, am siding with UltraJohn on this one. He didn't buy a used boat out of the Boat Trader. He bought a boat from the original manufacturer that could have basically been considered a demo. Shit, my boat probably had more demo hours on it than his boat when we bought it. It sounds to me as though the specifications, build quality and condition were seriously misrepresented by the original manufacturer. Not saying it was on purpose, as nobody knows what the intent was, but that's how it appears to me. Of course, I'm an educated man. ;)
I agree and also side with UltraJohn. If it was me I`d be at the person I bought it from. They`d know exactly who the hell I was.
He is deffinately doing the right thing by posting this and especially here. This is one of the reasons this site started. To help out others with the same boating interests. Don`t forget that.

riverbound
09-10-2006, 05:22 PM
I, for one, am siding with UltraJohn on this one. He didn't buy a used boat out of the Boat Trader. He bought a boat from the original manufacturer that could have basically been considered a demo. Shit, my boat probably had more demo hours on it than his boat when we bought it. It sounds to me as though the specifications, build quality and condition were seriously misrepresented by the original manufacturer. Not saying it was on purpose, as nobody knows what the intent was, but that's how it appears to me. Of course, I'm an educated man. ;)
From his earlier posts. I dont think the boat was bought from the mfgr. but It was indirectly bought from Jesse.

HOSS
09-10-2006, 05:28 PM
A hell of alot of comfort.

N2Lake
09-10-2006, 05:36 PM
I have dealt with and know several others who have dealt with Leon Derebery, going back as far as 1992. Lets just say that ethics, morals, and integrity are not something he is concerned with.

Watchdog
09-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Did you not have anything written about warranty,,on my bill of sale when I bought the Sea Ray,,I had the boat dealer write in the bill of sale, that my engines were warranted for 90 days by Dereberry Marine. Although Dereberry didn't stand behind it,, that caused the boat dealer to warranty it on their own.

HOSS
09-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Watchdog,,,is that boat in your avatar the one from ebay 2 years ago or so?

deltaAce
09-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Post # 108, Why did you pull the engine? Did it fail? From all the sounds of this whole episode, it sounds like you need a key in the balancer, adjust the crank triger, buy some plug wires.......& a tune day on the water to dial it in! :)

Watchdog
09-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Watchdog,,,is that boat in your avatar the one from ebay 2 years ago or so?
No, the jet boat is a local boat, I bought if from a guy who had if for 4-5 years

riverbound
09-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Semantics, IMHO. He also stated that he has never met Jesse, which means the boat was profered for sale at the manufacturer and they likely handled the sale and all the related details. There should be a certain comfort involved in buying a boat with less than 10 hours from the original manufacturer.
I see.
I guess when you buy an ultra from JW that has a derebery power plant in it, you should just expect to have problems. Seems as thought it is a trend.

wsuwrhr
09-10-2006, 07:39 PM
purchase agreement says big motor, big drive, no warranty.
Well then, so how did anyone lie to you?
If that is what you signed, I would say you got EXACTLY what was in the contract.
Big motor, big drive, no warrantee.
This thread has me puzzled.
Brian

soupersonic
09-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Well then, so how did anyone lie to you?
If that is what you signed, I would say you got EXACTLY what was in the contract.
Big motor, big drive, no warrantee.
This thread has me puzzled.
Brian
I dont see whats so puzzling. Hes mad because he feels he got burned and also because he wasted his summer on something he feels was misrepresented. I would feel the same way and so would you. He is also letting everyone know he feels dinglebery is a pos engine builder and a few others have confirmed. Simple eh ?

deltaAce
09-10-2006, 08:32 PM
engine did not fail. the drive and tranny failed. in order to replace the tranny we had to pull the motor. Since we had a number of big oil leaks, our mechanic decided to check everything out. He did a leak down test and 3 cylinders failed. he then checked the spark plug wires and they were bad. we sent the motor over to Motor Machine to have them check it out more and they found that it had the wrong gaskets on the heads. It had a MLS gasket over the o-rings. The cylinder walls and pistons were also all scratched up. we then started tearing it all the way down and checking everything out.
so, we had to bore out the block.
get new pistons
correctly welding the oil pump (no more glue)
new harmonic balancer (the one on it is too big)
get some keys for the crank
relocate the water temp sensor so it would test the motor water and not lake water
relocate the air temp sensor (it was also in the wrong place)
machine down the intake
make a new bracket to hold the crank trigger in the correct place
clean up the heads
reprogram the computer
repaint the block (going purple this time)
I think that's it. when I get my bill I'll know more.
.................................................. ...........................
"This post is about how Dumberry did a piss poor job building what should have been a showcase motor".
.................................................. ...........................
"so, I actually didn't get EXACTLY what was in the contract. my contract says "DEREBERY 632" and that's not what I got. period".
You've stated your case well, A problem with a high profile build up like this should have been resolved by the builder & would have futher enhanced his
reputation! Good luck with things, Keep us posted!
:)

talbert450r
09-10-2006, 08:35 PM
What has JW said about this whole deal? :rollside:

RiverDave
09-10-2006, 09:46 PM
UltraJohn, not to add another kink in your program here but this was posted in the cats and tunnels section.
I know the shop and the guy that built the motors for force, he did all the machining for my motor and set cam time. I have only had 1 prob. with my motor cause we reused the rocker studs and broke 1 but that was my fault cause they look good. The shop in question I would bet money on fixed that motor not the in house guy. On a side note same shop rebuilt the Jesse James motor 1 week before the LA. boat show cause it blew up 1st time out so it can happen to anyone.
RD

HavasuSelect
09-10-2006, 09:54 PM
I find it interesting that nobody is defending Dereberry in this thread. Usually in these kinds of threads in this forum there's always people saying "there's 2 sides to every story" but it seems that everyone that has posted here that had dealed with him had a bad experience.

BigDoug
09-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Blew up the first time out ? one week before the boat show too !!
Something aint right here folks.
He builds a 632 or whatever and his reputation is on the line and in the first week its toast, not a good outing for the derebery boys..............I too would be upset since he slapped together something else and just wanted to get it out of the shop. :220v:

mbrown2
09-10-2006, 10:16 PM
I feel for UJ, and it seems he would change things if he had a time machine. However, Dereberry has had a questionable past on this board, so anyone that is buying a used boat with a Dereberry motor in it without a warranty really can only kick themselves when the deal comes back to haunt them....its really too bad.
In addition, if you have no warranty from the previous owner and have never even met the previous owner to go through the history of the boat with them prior to the buy......its really hard to feel bad for you when you bypassed a lot of steps required along the way of the sell.
Sorry to hear about your problems.....big motor problems suck.

Wake Havasu
09-11-2006, 12:17 AM
Did you buy your boat from JJ through Ultra?

John.
09-11-2006, 07:51 AM
Did you buy your boat from JJ through Ultra?
yep.

Howie Feltersnatch
09-11-2006, 08:02 AM
I remember a thread a long time ago on here about this boat & a pic was posted of the motor sitting on a pallet after having been overnighted in from Texas. The gist was that the motor was built in a rush to get the boat ready for the boat show.
Somebody posted in the thread that it overheated on the first water test & had to be pulled & worked on.
Maybe somebody can find the original thread...

Jbb
09-11-2006, 08:05 AM
I remember a thread a long time ago on here about this boat & a pic was posted of the motor sitting on a pallet after having been overnighted in from Texas. The gist was that the motor was built in a rush to get the boat ready for the boat show.
Somebody posted in the thread that it overheated on the first water test & had to be pulled & worked on.
Maybe somebody can find the original thread...
Hmmm....this one pehaps...? (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53721) :p

rrrr
09-11-2006, 08:40 AM
I find it interesting that nobody is defending Dereberry in this thread. Usually in these kinds of threads in this forum there's always people saying "there's 2 sides to every story" but it seems that everyone that has posted here that had dealed with him had a bad experience.
He's a nice guy to chat with at the boat show...... :rollside: :rollside:

Howie Feltersnatch
09-11-2006, 09:14 AM
I've talked to his son at the boat show too. Seems like a good kid & he is in almost every pic on their website doing rigging work, etc. Haven't done business with them myself so I'm not qualified to comment on their business practices.

dossangers
09-11-2006, 09:33 AM
So the MAIN BITCH HERE is the motor wasnt a 632 a few bad plug wires and epoxy on the oilpump Did the motor GRENADE? Dereberry dosnt have to do shit and i think he dosnt take ***boat forums to SERIOUSLY! oh i forgot the puke green paint. That alone would do it for me! If that thing didnt BLOW UP with Jessie behind the wheel i think Derreberry did a helluva JOB !!

RiverDave
09-11-2006, 10:00 AM
You know maybe it's my tendancy to try and build everything to the best of my abillities, but if I payed out the ass for a motor and found out anything was epoxied or glued together in it somebody would have a size 10.5 flip flop stuck right in their ass..
I'm flat blown away that people are saying it's not that big of a deal to lie about what's in a motor? And it's ok the plug wires are bad?
Makes me wonder how much time they spent on the clearances in the rotating assembly etc?? At this point that thing would be taken down to the bolts, and starting over. If I didn't have the money to pay someone to do it, I'd take it apart with the building motors for dummies book sitting right next to me and do it myself.
UltraJohn, if it makes any difference to you I highly disagree with some of the sentiment on this board that "It's not that big of a deal." To me it would be a huge deal.
Wsuwrhr, I can't hardly believe your opinion on this.. "No warranty so what are you bitching about?" Seriously? Just becuase there's no warranty doesn't give someone an excuse to blatantly take advantage of a situation. I've seen some of your work, and I have to believe that you take pride in it. How can you defend those that don't? Especially when it's assholes that half ass everything that are driving prices of just about anything into the ground, making it almost impossible for the guys that do things right to compete in any industry?
RD

GoCiggie31
09-11-2006, 10:00 AM
UJ,
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. The marine business is plagued with kinks n' thieves and info like this on the web will encourage more people to do their homework.
Unfortunately losers like this (Derereby) and some repair shops in the northern central california only focus on a few selected customers and take advantage of the rest. This type of behavior tarnishes the good guys (very few) promoting more gov't control needed like the car business. These small-time repair shops (with big mouths) that think they are the cats-meow will continue to shrink because of the internet voice. It is post like these that keep the pirates on notice.
I have learned that unless you really trust someone, you better off doing it yourself; especially if you are in a hurry.
I will say that your post will help others 'buyer beware" and I Thank you for that and good luck.
BTW,Many of us are looking forward (not some of my neighbors) to hearing your Ultra blast up and down Lake Folsom.
Be safe and best of luck with your toy
gc31

Jbb
09-11-2006, 10:05 AM
You know maybe it's my tendancy to try and build everything to the best of my abillities, but if I payed out the ass for a motor and found out anything was epoxied or glued together in it somebody would have a size 10.5 flip flop stuck right in their ass..
I'm flat blown away that people are saying it's not that big of a deal to lie about what's in a motor? And it's ok the plug wires are bad?
Makes me wonder how much time they spent on the clearances in the rotating assembly etc?? At this point that thing would be taken down to the bolts, and starting over. If I didn't have the money to pay someone to do it, I'd take it apart with the building motors for dummies book sitting right next to me and do it myself.
UltraJohn, if it makes any difference to you I highly disagree with some of the sentiment on this board that "It's not that big of a deal." To me it would be a huge deal.
Wsuwrhr, I can't hardly believe your opinion on this.. "No warranty so what are you bitching about?" Seriously? Just becuase there's no warranty doesn't give someone an excuse to blatantly take advantage of a situation. I've seen some of your work, and I have to believe that you take pride in it. How can you defend those that don't? Especially when it's assholes that half ass everything that are driving prices of just about anything into the ground, making it almost impossible for the guys that do things right to compete in any industry?
RD
Gotta agree with Lil Mr. on this one.... :jawdrop: ...this was a very high profile build up and boat.....If the motor was "slapped together",in a haphazard fashion, due to time constraints ...or any other reason.....then people knew it......that little tidbit should have been revealed to the purchaser.....

RiverDave
09-11-2006, 10:24 AM
The F'd up thing about it is it was a HIGH PROFILE build up, and I'm sure JJ and or Ultra got a shitload more for the boat based upon the magazine articles, the fact that JJ did own it at one time (hey that's worth something to some people and does add value), the "bling" factor of the boat, trailer, wheels, and the fact that one would "assume" that if that much care was taken into the rest of the package that it would be safe to assume the same amount of care what's put into the things you can't see on the surface.
I'd be f'ing pissed beyond belief.
I worked on the PBR boat for the rock the boat show.. All the billet was made and the seat pedestals were made and put together in record time.. Point in fact they weren't exactly 100% by the time they filmed the show. I also went OUT OF MY WAY after the filming to go down pick them up, bring them back to my shop, and make sure they worked perfectly before that boat was sold to the general public. To me that's not going "above and beyond" but rather fullfilling my obligations to the end user. I would expect nothing less from somebody else that I purchased something from.
RD

wsuwrhr
09-11-2006, 10:48 AM
RD
I was actually done posting in this thread, but since you mentioned me, I thought I should respond AGAIN.
RD,
Apparently you didn't read my posts carefully. I don't want to make yet another lengthly post. You can call me if you want to, I think it is is my profile, or I'll PM it to you.
Here are the cliffnotes:
UJ bought this boat USED, supposedly 6 hours old(who knows when the hour meter was hooked up).
He did not spec out the motor/boat/drive/interior/gel/stereo, anything. He merely bought a high profile boat that he liked for whatever reason. He bitches about the color of the paint? I just don't get it.
JJ owned the boat previously. EVERYONE IN THE WORLD WITH A TV SET knows JJ treats his toys like he stole it. I have personally seen him wreck BOTH his circletrack cars at Irwindale. That being a known fact SHOULD have caused some concern.
He bought a USED boat with no warrantee whatsoever, why, I don't know, if the boat was so brand new, why wouldn't there be a warrantee? Beyond me.
I just thought it was turning out liek the "Team Turnkey deal." In my opinion, he can bitch all he wants, it is a free country. Nothing wrong with that, I would be pissed too.
However I would have taken the boat home and inspected it myself. I was just trying to get him to look at it from another angle. He isn't upside down in the boat. I still think he got a deal. Nothing comes for free.
I am not defending him, derebinkle, or Ultra boats. Someone other than Jesse sold him the boat, grossly misrepresented what the gentleman bought, and in my opinion, this is the person he needs to be holding his hand out to. Sounds like he based his opinion of the equipment in the boat on a magazine article. I thought it was common knowledge that EVERYONE embelished a little for something like that.
Seems that most ebay boats goes 100MPH and at a minimum--- have small block power with AT LEAST 800HP. It is a joke.
One member posted that he had the dealer he bought his boat from write on the bill of sale that the motors were warranteed.
I take pride in my work, but not everyone does. Thank you for noticing.
For this reason alone, if I had bought JJ's boat, I would have asked for a warrantee of some kind, even 30 days. If not, I would have shopped elsewhere, or I would have negotiated the price to where I would have been able to dissasemble or otherwise inpect the powertrain parts to see what I bought.
I bought my Hondo flat less motor, otherwise basically a floater. The supposed
"rebuilt" V-drive was a complete peice of shit. When I turned it the first time, it sounded like it was full of rocks. I had no idea, OOPS. Did I check it before I bought the boat? Absolutely not. They guy SAID he JUST had it rebuilt. Shame on me. I got the boat for a decent enough price, mabey paid a little more than I should with the box all jacked up. Such is life. I took the gearbox out and sent it to V-Drive Tom and asked him go through it. Cost me alot of money, but hey, at least when I go out I won't have to worry about it. Learned a lesson.
I feel bad for the guy, I do, at the beginning I was trying to help him out, but the more I read his posts, the more I started to think he needs to take the lumps he gave himself.
Enough said.
Brian

desertbird
09-11-2006, 10:52 AM
I think Leon Derebery is a crook, but if you hold his feet to the fire, he'll make it right.
Long story short, I had a Derebery Bravo Drive (Back of HB magazine special)with only 5 hours on it. I could not get it to shift into reverse. Wanting an easy fix, I took it to Teague and had them look at it. Mario (now apparantly has a new shop in Simi) inspected it and told me the drive was junk. All used parts, all worn out. Apparantly the Derbery Drive deal means refurb the seals and paint it black, not a "new" drive as advertised.
It took three months and a threat of lawsuit before I received a new drive. But I DID receive a new drive and an X drive at that. Upon receipt, I still paid Mario to inspect it and he told me it was an all new drive. I was still suspicious because the drive has no S/N (which means I think Derebery pieced it together from new parts).
I opted to keep it and have 50 trouble free hours on it now.
Bottom line?
1) I would never do biz with Derebery again. Ever.
2) I would never send a friend to Derebery (and have in fact, steered a few away)
3) When Leon was "caught," he fixed it, and I have acknowledged that. It still does not improve my opinion of the man.
Good luck with your motor. Your in a tight spot since he built the thing for "free" the first time, and you aren't the original owner.

wsuwrhr
09-11-2006, 10:55 AM
I'd be f'ing pissed beyond belief.
As anyone would or should.
I have quite a temper at times myself, but I try not to put myself in a situation where it would happen to me.
Brian

wsuwrhr
09-11-2006, 11:01 AM
I think Leon Derebery is a crook, but if you hold his feet to the fire, he'll make it right.
Your in a tight spot since he built the thing for "free" the first time, and you aren't the original owner.
Pretty much my point, lesson learned, make it right as best you can and move on.
My biggest problem with this whole thing is UJ doesn't know the "original" terms of the deal struck between Ultra, derebinkle, and JJ. For all we know JJ never even WANTED the boat. He just put his name on it for exposure.
Plently of "test" vehicles are put together with the intention never to be released to the public.
Brian

wsuwrhr
09-11-2006, 11:13 AM
He was told at the time of the sale that Jesse had never even sat in the boat let alone driven it.
Exactly what I was beginning to think. JJ comissioned the build for the publicity and no other reason.
Who decided this boat should even get sold? Sounds to me like there is even more to the story.
It is just a shit deal the UJ got in the middle of it.
Brian

Sherpa
09-11-2006, 11:21 AM
I know "talent, and experience" are what is required to build a high-end motor.
But this thread also has me thinking.............. almost any idiot, even someone
with just one motor rebuild under their belt could, using a few engine-part
catalogs build a high-end motor from parts.........
it might not last very long.
it might not have the "most potential" horsepower it could
it might not be painted the right color
but I bet if it even ran, it probably would sound neat.
and I bet alot of people would flock to want to buy it.........
sounds like this leon character is maybe like that...... albeit, he sounds like
someone you wouldn't even want your enemies to go to.............
--Sherpa

skater 32
09-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Am I missing something here. Derebery GAVE the motor FREE to the Jesse James project. It costed Ultra nothing. The Jesse James project was not completed. The boat was sold " AS IS " with no warranty. Derebery did recieve one cent for the motor. It was worked on before it was sold to the current owner.

dicudmore
09-11-2006, 11:44 AM
ok ONE question here...it keeps being said that this engine was FREE for this project? Can anybody confirm this?? Do we know that JW didn't PAY Leon for it? I would bet John had over 100K in raw cost in that boat/trailer combo by the time it hit the LA show. One hell of an advertising expense :wink:

RiverDave
09-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Am I missing something here. Derebery GAVE the motor FREE to the Jesse James project. It costed Ultra nothing. The Jesse James project was not completed. The boat was sold " AS IS " with no warranty. Derebery did recieve one cent for the motor. It was worked on before it was sold to the current owner.
Pretty sure the boat was completed. It wasn't a "project" boat or built for a TV show or anything? It was a boat built for JJ, with a lot of publicity around it.
RD

RiverDave
09-11-2006, 11:54 AM
I was actually done posting in this thread, but since you mentioned me, I thought I should respond AGAIN.
RD,
Apparently you didn't read my posts carefully. I don't want to make yet another lengthly post. You can call me if you want to, I think it is is my profile, or I'll PM it to you.
Here are the cliffnotes:
UJ bought this boat USED, supposedly 6 hours old(who knows when the hour meter was hooked up).
He did not spec out the motor/boat/drive/interior/gel/stereo, anything. He merely bought a high profile boat that he liked for whatever reason. He bitches about the color of the paint? I just don't get it.
JJ owned the boat previously. EVERYONE IN THE WORLD WITH A TV SET knows JJ treats his toys like he stole it. I have personally seen him wreck BOTH his circletrack cars at Irwindale. That being a known fact SHOULD have caused some concern.
He bought a USED boat with no warrantee whatsoever, why, I don't know, if the boat was so brand new, why wouldn't there be a warrantee? Beyond me.
I just thought it was turning out liek the "Team Turnkey deal." In my opinion, he can bitch all he wants, it is a free country. Nothing wrong with that, I would be pissed too.
However I would have taken the boat home and inspected it myself. I was just trying to get him to look at it from another angle. He isn't upside down in the boat. I still think he got a deal. Nothing comes for free.
I am not defending him, derebinkle, or Ultra boats. Someone other than Jesse sold him the boat, grossly misrepresented what the gentleman bought, and in my opinion, this is the person he needs to be holding his hand out to. Sounds like he based his opinion of the equipment in the boat on a magazine article. I thought it was common knowledge that EVERYONE embelished a little for something like that.
Seems that most ebay boats goes 100MPH and at a minimum--- have small block power with AT LEAST 800HP. It is a joke.
One member posted that he had the dealer he bought his boat from write on the bill of sale that the motors were warranteed.
I take pride in my work, but not everyone does. Thank you for noticing.
For this reason alone, if I had bought JJ's boat, I would have asked for a warrantee of some kind, even 30 days. If not, I would have shopped elsewhere, or I would have negotiated the price to where I would have been able to dissasemble or otherwise inpect the powertrain parts to see what I bought.
I bought my Hondo flat less motor, otherwise basically a floater. The supposed
"rebuilt" V-drive was a complete peice of shit. When I turned it the first time, it sounded like it was full of rocks. I had no idea, OOPS. Did I check it before I bought the boat? Absolutely not. They guy SAID he JUST had it rebuilt. Shame on me. I got the boat for a decent enough price, mabey paid a little more than I should with the box all jacked up. Such is life. I took the gearbox out and sent it to V-Drive Tom and asked him go through it. Cost me alot of money, but hey, at least when I go out I won't have to worry about it. Learned a lesson.
I feel bad for the guy, I do, at the beginning I was trying to help him out, but the more I read his posts, the more I started to think he needs to take the lumps he gave himself.
Enough said.
Brian
Not sure what I need the contact info for? Unless I want to buy one of those cool bottle holders you sell. ;) Just saying I disagree with some of what you wrote, and the general "what are you bitching about" attitude that seems to come off with regards to your posts in this thread.
Wasn't trying to call you out or anything of the sort, it just kinda surprised me as it seems out of character for you in reading your posts for the last couple years.
RD

LAFD
09-11-2006, 12:09 PM
thought jesse james never drove the boat? does he even know he has a boat besides the one he cut up for the show? but anyone whos knows anything about jesse knows he treats he toys like crap. thrases them tell they break than throws them away and gets another.the guys wipes his ass with hundred dollar bills. this whole situation sucks for uj but if it was on the paper work no warranty that should have thrown up a red flag. especially on a high dollar toy as this. also with jw reputation for being a top notch builder kinda surprised that he didnt run the boat a little to make sure that its all good to go even though he was told its top notch turn key ready to go. seems that the motor builder is a lie and cheat and screwed basically evenyone end of story. uj looks like your stuck footing the bill but what it finally done hopfully you have fun problem free. and you can finally kick grads ass. :)

superdave013
09-11-2006, 12:12 PM
When I asked Leon about lieing about the bore size, he just dodges answering the questions saying that I'm lucky it's not a 632 cuz then I would also be buying a new block now.
Not taking sides or anything but in a way you are lucky he "upsized" it only on paper. Or that new block would have you about 3K more pissed right now.

shippingguy
09-11-2006, 12:19 PM
thought jesse james never drove the boat? does he even know he has a boat besides the one he cut up for the show? but anyone whos knows anything about jesse knows he treats he toys like crap. thrases them tell they break than throws them away and gets another.the guys wipes his ass with hundred dollar bills. this whole situation sucks for uj but if it was on the paper work no warranty that should have thrown up a red flag. especially on a high dollar toy as this. also with jw reputation for being a top notch builder kinda surprised that he didnt run the boat a little to make sure that its all good to go even though he was told its top notch turn key ready to go. seems that the motor builder is a lie and cheat and screwed basically evenyone end of story. uj looks like your stuck footing the bill but what it finally done hopfully you have fun problem free. and you can finally kick grads ass. :)
Just to clear some of the air. JW did run the boat and he also took UJ on a test ride. I have communicated with UJ on this issue numerous times and he is a great guy and I feel bad for him. I am glad he is getting this resolved. Also, JJ never drove this boat. A good source told me that he wanted to sell the boat because he did not have time to use it and that he wanted to start getting into Nascar or devoting more time to his racing. No matter what it sucks that this happened and I would NEVER buy a motor from Dereberry.

LAFD
09-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Just to clear some of the air. JW did run the boat and he also took UJ on a test ride. I have communicated with UJ on this issue numerous times and he is a great guy and I feel bad for him. I am glad he is getting this resolved. Also, JJ never drove this boat. A good source told me that he wanted to sell the boat because he did not have time to use it and that he wanted to start getting into Nascar or devoting more time to his racing. No matter what it sucks that this happened and I would NEVER buy a motor from Dereberry.
i figured jw did i just never read anywere that he did. but hopfully it gets handled for ya uj.

skater 32
09-11-2006, 12:48 PM
A follow up on Derebery's motors. I had a pair of 750hp mptors that went 6 years before rebuilding. Nothing but good feelings dealing with Derebery. As to the JJ boat, work was done on the motor(as stated in other posts) after leaving Derebery. Why is everthing being blamed on Derebery? Some of the problems may not be his doing. As stated before, this was free motor and built in a hurry. As UJ stated earlier, the engine DID NOT blow apart. It had other issues.

LAFD
09-11-2006, 12:53 PM
A follow up on Derebery's motors. I had a pair of 750hp mptors that went 6 years before rebuilding. Nothing but good feelings dealing with Derebery. As to the JJ boat, work was done on the motor(as stated in other posts) after leaving Derebery. Why is everthing being blamed on Derebery? Some of the problems may not be his doing. As stated before, this was free motor and built in a hurry. As UJ stated earlier, the engine DID NOT blow apart. It had other issues.
but i appears that there was a few other people that posted in this thread that had bad dealings with derebery. shouldnt matter if the motor was free or time period. should have been built to last.and yeah the motor didnt blow apart yet. if he wouldnt of taken it out it would of blown forsure. but luckly you had a good experiance with the unfortunality uj didnt.

acatitude
09-11-2006, 12:59 PM
so John when is water test date?? :boxed:

DCBDaytona
09-11-2006, 01:04 PM
LMAO, this thread is funny.
Derebery builds bad a$$ motors, period.

RiverDave
09-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Here's another follow up for you on Dereberry's motors.. They suck ass.
That jackass put two of my buddies in a pretty awkward spot as a whole and with each other becuase of his bullshit half ass, but get paid full pop like he knows or cares even a little bit about what he's doing, workmanship..
I'd have no problems getting into it, but I'm sure neither one of them want their personal bullshit all over the web. Bottom line, they both think he sucks the big one now, and are unsure as to what to do about their own situation that jackhole put them in.. I wouldn't trust that guy to assemble a lego set.
Guy can't even build the most basic of naturally aspirated motors to last more then 10 hours.
RD

acatitude
09-11-2006, 01:15 PM
I've been waiting for that all summer...hell I probably won't even have the same boat by the time he gets his running.
and the saga continues.... when is it going to be ready for the water???? I wanta see this..... if someone gives me a ride, lol :p

OldYeller
09-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Wow, I have read through this whole thread. It sucks that there is no warranty, although I think that someone who is reputable would show a bit more concern over his motor that Derebery is. On the flip side of this, consider this a practice run. Get use to the idea of pulling your motor out and rebuilding it. Seems to be a normal deal when running big blown motors. Their fun as hell, but seem to require a lot of TLC. Too bad that most of your summer got screwed up, but now just focus your energy on gettin' er done. Take her out and run her. You'll feel better when your'e flying down the lake.

acatitude
09-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Here's the latest...we're hooked up to the dyno right now. the O2 sensor is bad and the map sensor is stuck. so we ordered new ones to be delivered tomorrow. I'm hopefuly to get the full dyno test done tomorrow, then delivered over to Jory tomorrow afternoon. Jory to tape and paint the motor on Wednesday and the motor back in the boat by Friday. Here's hoping...
Ken, you'll be happy to hear that we have half an hour on the new motor so far on the dyno and no oil leaks. :)
Thats great John, I'm glad its coming along...... let me know when your getting it wet..and are you going to reveal the dyno numbers????

OldYeller
09-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Are we betting another case of beer on this??? By the time all is said and done you might as well pull that Budweiser truck up in front of my house.
OUCH!!!

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
09-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Let us know when test on water is, my boat does not go fast but makes a great patio to watch from. BC ALWAYS ROOM FOR YOU!
BIG JOE :crossx: :skull: :crossx:

acatitude
09-11-2006, 01:47 PM
thanks Joe..

ratso
09-11-2006, 01:52 PM
That jackass put two of my buddies in a pretty awkward spot as a whole and with each other becuase of his bullshit half ass, but get paid full pop like he knows or cares even a little bit about what he's doing, workmanship..
I'd have no problems getting into it, but I'm sure neither one of them want their personal bullshit all over the web. Bottom line, they both think he sucks the big one now, and are unsure as to what to do about their own situation that jackhole put them in.. I wouldn't trust that guy to assemble a lego set.
Guy can't even build the most basic of naturally aspirated motors to last more then 10 hours.
RD
Some of those Lego Sets can be quite challenging...

abraman1326
09-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Good luck Ultra John. I just read through all this thread. I can't believe the crap you've gone through. I wouldn't expect a warantee on a motor in a boat, but you do kind of hope for it. At least to know the builder stands behind his work. This Derebery shouldn't be in business. Have you though of reporting him to the Beeter Business Bureau? I shure as hell would. This kind of quality needs to be noted. Obviously he did not care about his workmanship, so you should not care about ruining his good reputation. Obviously, you posted here just to vent some frusterations, and it's crap that you have been attacked for it. If I were you, I wouldn't just be posting it here, but on every boating site to be sure nobody else has to go through the crap you've gone through. I don't know a lot about motors except how to blow them up, but if someone tells me he put a ### size motor in my rig, it had better be that size. You just don't do business this way, or very soon, you are going to be out of business.W/ 18 hours, you'd expect to get many more hours on a motor, I don't care how much it cost, or who built it. It's good to hear JW has stood up and tried to help. I can only imagine the position this puts him in beings he is an owner who cares about his reputation, and the visibility of his company. I can't wait to hear the new motor scream across the lake. At least now you know what you have in there, and can be happy w/ it.
BRA

ULTRA28
09-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Here's the story.
We were building the boat for Jesse when Derebery approached us to do the engine. I had never used them or even heard of them before. I flew out to Pottsboro and met with Leon and did the shop tour while filming the Jesse build. I was impressed with the equipment they had and the people there. We didn't specify anything for the engine. Leon was donating it to the project, so we let him decide everything for the engine. The engine was installed and while dialing it in it got hot. It was sent to QMP (Brad Lagman) to make sure everything was OK. The boat was Jesse's boat. He had it for almost a year and as far as I know he never used it. He asked me to sell it for him, so I did. I sell a lot of boats for customers and for the guys on the forums, no big deal. Anything that is used that still has warranty left on it, still gets the remainder of its warranty. This boat was given to Jesse without a warranty in the first place. Jesse understood that and so did UJ when he bought it. UJ and I took the boat out and had no problem with it on the test drive. I have been helping out UJ anyway I can and will continue to do so. I like UJ and have no problem with what he is saying on here. He and I talk often as we are trying to figure this whole thing out. I don't believe I misrepresented anything to UJ and neither does he. As for our future with engine builders, I'll just say that I am extremely happy with Teague and Merc and don't see much reason to look anywhere else right now.

Jbb
09-11-2006, 02:07 PM
I wouldn't trust that guy to assemble a lego set.
RD
:jawdrop:
http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/8858_a.jpg

LAFD
09-11-2006, 02:12 PM
I've been waiting for that all summer...hell I probably won't even have the same boat by the time he gets his running.
hahaha im just kidding just hopin he gets this all worked out.

riverbound
09-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Here's the story.
We were building the boat for Jesse when Derebery approached us to do the engine. I had never used them or even heard of them before. I flew out to Pottsboro and met with Leon and did the shop tour while filming the Jesse build. I was impressed with the equipment they had and the people there. We didn't specify anything for the engine. Leon was donating it to the project, so we let him decide everything for the engine. The engine was installed and while dialing it in it got hot. It was sent to QMP (Brad Lagman) to make sure everything was OK. The boat was Jesse's boat. He had it for almost a year and as far as I know he never used it. He asked me to sell it for him, so I did. I sell a lot of boats for customers and for the guys on the forums, no big deal. Anything that is used that still has warranty left on it, still gets the remainder of its warranty. This boat was given to Jesse without a warranty in the first place. Jesse understood that and so did UJ when he bought it. UJ and I took the boat out and had no problem with it on the test drive. I have been helping out UJ anyway I can and will continue to do so. I like UJ and have no problem with what he is saying on here. He and I talk often as we are trying to figure this whole thing out. I don't believe I misrepresented anything to UJ and neither does he. As for our future with engine builders, I'll just say that I am extremely happy with Teague and Merc and don't see much reason to look anywhere else right now.
:idea: :idea: :idea:

ThongMagnet
09-11-2006, 02:36 PM
I thought everything that came out of jesse's "monster garage was a POS. This does not suprise me.

Jordy
09-11-2006, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't trust that guy to assemble a lego set.
RD
We're going to have to start a list here pretty soon Little Mister. You wouldn't trust Spammin' Thunder to wash your truck and now you won't let Leon play with your legos. What's next??? :D :D :D

ULTRA26 # 1
09-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Here's the story.
JW, thanks for shedding some light on Ultra's part in all of this. If this is the quality that Leon produces for the likes of Jessie James, donation or not,
I, for one, wouldn't trust one in my boat. UJ hopefully your engine builder was able to correct the build quality issues so that you can still enjoy some trouble free boating this season. You gotta love the way your Shadow rides in rough water.
Best of luck

GHT
09-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Hey, I hear Derebery is making Motorcycle motors now..
They gotta bitchin' rep on another thread.. :rolleyes: :rollside:

RiverDave
09-11-2006, 02:50 PM
I'd like to know where the pieces of gears came from that we found in the bilge the second time UJ had the boat out if the motor just got "a little hot" while dialing it in.
Not speaking for Ultra28 here, but I think he was talking about motor related problems only. They might've blown a tranny or a drive during dial in which would account for gear peaces in the bildge. If replaced with new tranny / drive though that's not a problem with a boat or even quality of parts.. Cats blow drives all the time, and it's pretty common place for that to happen nowdays.
RD

RitcheyRch
09-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Brad Lagman at QMP builds some bass ass motors. He has built numerous engines for friends that race in the PSCA.
Here's the story.

plaster dave
09-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Brad Lagman at QMP builds some bass ass motors. He has built numerous engines for friends that race in the PSCA.
I second that.

RitcheyRch
09-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Have known him since he was at 4 Wheel Specialties on Sepulveda Blvd. I still think an old street race buddy named Rat Boy works for him.
I second that.

voodoomedman
09-11-2006, 05:02 PM
You do realize that JW did not own the company until 95 right?

ULTRA28
09-11-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm sure this was meant to insinuate that I am being less than honest about my history with Derebery. Your friends engine was ordered AFTER the Jesse engine build had begun. Also you might want to get your facts straight about what happened with your friends situation before making any more ignorant statements on here about it and me. He actually called me today and apologized for your earlier posts. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Tom Brown
09-11-2006, 05:51 PM
:jawdrop:
http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/8858_a.jpg
You could seal up that crank case with a waxed paper form and some epoxy. :idea:

Jbb
09-11-2006, 05:58 PM
You could seal up that crank case with a waxed paper form and some epoxy. :idea:
and then off to Whipple for a quadrotor fitting..... :p

Tom Brown
09-11-2006, 06:02 PM
I'm flat blown away that I agree with RD about something.
You have to know that John West is choking on this and wished he'd never gotten involved with the engine deal and maybe the whole boat. We've all had these projects that start out fantastic and then end up being a turd stuck in the treads of your shoe that you can't kick off.
I would imagine the reason nerves are so frayed over this thing is the quantities of money these problems represent. At the end of the day though, it will be fixed. Of that, I have no doubt. There are some great people working to make it happen.
Two years down the road, this will all be forgotten.

Tom Brown
09-11-2006, 06:03 PM
and then off to Whipple for a quadrotor fitting..... :p
I wonder if Dustin would return my call. :idea:

Jordy
09-11-2006, 06:06 PM
I wonder if Dustin would return my call. :idea:
If he doesn't, just let me know and I'll put in a call on your behalf. :D :D :D

wettin my shorts
09-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Hey Johnny, now that all the bitchen' is done about the motor, let's talk about the blown IMCO, trashed BAM tranny, and let's not forget the welding job on that "EXTREME" trailer. Your not that fat to break the stairs. This chit :crossx: is only getting better. Remember grads, we were the "mean" people at the begining of summer!!!!

Misogynist
09-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Have you posted on OSO and any other boating site so other may be warned.
I guess that is why the Teagues, Zul, Brummett, Pfaff, GT, Peto and Sterling get the money they do for thier engines, I would say thier reputations have earned that rite.
Scott
I'm not going to mention which one of these builders hosed me.... but my starboard engine scattered in a spectacular fashion after 4 hrs of "break in running". The problem... shoddy workmanship, and the remote oil filter was plumbed backwards. Hence.... no oil flow. I'll post some pics of the results. I found the same problems as you did with the dereberry motor. I'll post a picture of the engine builder. Maybe some of you guys will recognize him... :yuk: Oh... by the way... he claims to be the undisputed authority on offshore boats. The builder refused to stand behind any of the shoddy workmanship.

Tom Brown
09-11-2006, 06:49 PM
The problem... shoddy workmanship, and the remote oil filter was plumbed backwards.
Hey! I think we just found Squirtin' Thunder.
It's good to hear he's working. :cool:

Jbb
09-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Tom Brown racing development?...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17546

framer1
09-11-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm not going to mention which one of these builders hosed me.... but my starboard engine scattered in a spectacular fashion after 4 hrs of "break in running". The problem... shoddy workmanship, and the remote oil filter was plumbed backwards. Hence.... no oil flow. I'll post some pics of the results. I found the same problems as you did with the dereberry motor. I'll post a picture of the engine builder. Maybe some of you guys will recognize him... :yuk: Oh... by the way... he claims to be the undisputed authority on offshore boats. The builder refused to stand behind any of the shoddy workmanship.
Howdy Doody :confused: I thought for sure he was out of the engine building bussiness :cool: His hands are so stiff :)

Tom Brown
09-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Howdy sez, "Big rig engine builders don't have time to put any damn crimps in their spark plug wire clips. :mad: "

shippingguy
09-11-2006, 06:56 PM
2004 SEMA show
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6153/motor2xs1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
2005 L.A. boat show
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/3936/motor1hj8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
interesting
You have been stirring the pot all summer. Read some posts from earlier from ULTRA28. He said at testing the motor got hot. As you the expert should know it yellowed the pipes a bit. They took the pipes off and I had my buddy donate his time and product and do the coating on those headers. We thought Jesse would like those better because he is into the flat black look and it was a bit more custom for Jesse. S@#t Jesse owns a flat black Ferrari. I hope this does not upset you that again you cannot blame Ultra! You have been trying to point the blame all summer at Ultra. This motor was not built by Ultra. Get this through your thick head. What are you going to do now that UJ is going to be back on the water. Are you going to wait for another one of your friends boats to break so you can poke fun and bash the boat they have, like you have done all summer about UJ's boat???

talbert450r
09-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Sounds to me like JW and Ultra are standing behind their boat even though its not their motor and there is no warranty. Makes me feel better about choosing Ultra to build my boat. :crossx: Good luck getting your boat back on the water soon.

voodoomedman
09-11-2006, 07:08 PM
Sounds to me like JW and Ultra are standing behind their boat even though its not their motor and there is no warranty. Makes me feel better about choosing Ultra to build my boat. :crossx: Good luck getting your boat back on the water soon.
You should feel better about it. I was waiting for the truth to come out about Ultra's involvement. Everyone can scream that it's not a DCB or Sk8ter or whatever but I tell you what.... One call to JW or any of his guys and they will bend over backwards to help you out. Hell they would probably help you out if it had nothing to do with boating even.

Tom Brown
09-11-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm glad I'm not John West right now. :D
I'll bet he built that boat at a loss and worked his ass off to do it. Then, Jesse doesn't even run the fukking boat. ... so he steps up again and sells it for him.... to a guy who has miserable problems with it.... so he steps up again and tries to help the new owner... and gets knocked around on the ***boat forums for some arbitrary reason... and he can't say too much because it's bad for business to argue in public.
Hey John... now you know what it's like to take a live grenade up the ass. :D
I'd love to hear the story about how the whole project got started. I'll bet there were a lot of hyped up people hi-5'ing each other and declaring how much the project will benefit everyone involved. :D :D :D
Now those fockers are all gone and the only name I hear, from the original group, is John West. He's the only one with enough honor to hang in there. ...... and it's down to honor now because this boat came with no warranty so no formal obligation exists.
Gee... do you think if this was Kachina promotional boat they'd be helping UJ out? :D
Let's hold off beating John West up until he stops answering the phone.

dicudmore
09-11-2006, 07:21 PM
You should feel better about it. I was waiting for the truth to come out about Ultra's involvement. Everyone can scream that it's not a DCB or Sk8ter or whatever but I tell you what.... One call to JW or any of his guys and they will bend over backwards to help you out. Hell they would probably help you out if it had nothing to do with boating even.
I can personally verify this statement...

HOSS
09-11-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm glad I'm not John West right now. :D
I'll bet he built that boat at a loss and worked his ass off to do it. Then, Jesse doesn't even run the fukking boat. ... so he steps up again and sells it for him.... to a guy who has miserable problems with it.... so he steps up again and tries to help the new owner... and gets knocked around on the ***boat forums for some arbitrary reason... and he can't say too much because it's bad for business to argue in public.
Hey John... now you know what it's like to take a live grenade up the ass. :D
I'd love to hear the story about how the whole project got started. I'll bet there were a lot of hyped up people hi-5'ing each other and declaring how much the project will benefit everyone involved. :D :D :D
Now those fockers are all gone and the only name I hear, from the original group, is John West. He's the only one with enough honor to hang in there. ...... and it's down to honor now because this boat came with no warranty so no formal obligation exists.
Gee... do you think if this was Kachina promotional boat they'd be helping UJ out? :D
Let's hold off beating John West up until he stops answering the phone.
PHUUUUUCC DAT! I got a better idea. Remember,,,before you were here Brown? This site was started for a reason. One night a week. That was it bro. The man built a motor,,,wasn`t what he said,,,he even stated that,,,now you wanna be a nice guy? For petes sake,,,just for pete,,,,grow some man.

Misogynist
09-11-2006, 07:30 PM
What engine builder do we know that has a shaved head?......... :crossx:
Oh... by the way.... that isn't Howdy Doody... that is Jerry Mahoney's buddy Knucklehead Smith.

Tom Brown
09-11-2006, 07:30 PM
PHUUUUUCC DAT! I got a better idea. Remember,,,before you were here Brown? This site was started for a reason. One night a week. That was it bro. The man built a motor,,,wasn`t what he said,,,he even stated that,,,now you wanna be a nice guy? For petes sake,,,just for pete,,,,grow some man.
You know HOSS, if I thought you were sober enough to understand, I'd try to explain to you that John West does not represent Derebery Motors.
This thread is about Derebery Motors. It's not about John West. Why are you trying to shit on John West? That's ignorant.
...... and how come you're not commenting on that breather they've got epoxied to the port side valve cover?

HOSS
09-11-2006, 07:37 PM
I thought I`d did,,,but I`m drunk,,John West?,,,not barfing on him,,,Canatards,,,mutha phuca,,,,,,I barfed on my pecker on the pot~! Isd that helpful,,,,,,plus I saw my ol buddy RiverDave post... I just had to be somebody,,,,,cause I`m nothing,,,miniscule,,,tadpole,,,catus is leaning,,,drought, Katrina, devestation,,,,,,,,,,,,PHUC U TOM BROWN. call me again sometime,,,when I`m not so busy,,,been in the clouds for a bit,,,,infection in the head of my penis from Katrina and in my head head. I`m alll phuced up. I`ve got gas again,,,but I`m afraid to pass iot,,,flakes may fly out. Or worse. Good thing thwere is a cement pond in the backyard. And yes,,,I chlorinate,,,HEAVILY!

Tom Brown
09-11-2006, 07:51 PM
PHUC U TOM BROWN.
:cool:
We've finally found a topic on which we agree. :D
It's cool, HOSS. I'll give you a call the next time I want to know the best epoxy to use to hold an oil pump pickup in place. :D

shippingguy
09-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Dude calm down. I wasn't talking about the headers and all I did was post 2 pictures and say "interesting". I wasn't blaming Ultra for anything. I'll say this again, if it wasn't for me UJ would own a Magic right now. As far as him getting his boat back on the water....I can't wait cause it will free up one more seat on my boat for a female.
Not really worked up. I bring up the headers because there are only 2 things different between the two pics. Headers and a couple more braided lines. All that is important is that the truth has come out and UJ is getting his boat fixed and running. As for you and I. We have gone back and forth on this issue and I am done and have nothing more to say to you.

dicudmore
09-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Not really worked up. I bring up the headers because there are only 2 things different between the two pics. Headers and a couple more braided lines. All that is importatn is that the truth has come out and UJ is getting his baot fixed and running. As for you and I. We have gone back and forth on this issue and I am done and have nothing more to say to you.
its all good Mike...you know he's just worried that his twin engine Daytona might not hang :wink:

riverbound
09-11-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm sure this was meant to insinuate that I am being less than honest about my history with Derebery. Your friends engine was ordered AFTER the Jesse engine build had begun. Also you might want to get your facts straight about what happened with your friends situation before making any more ignorant statements on here about it and me. He actually called me today and apologized for your earlier posts. :idea: :idea: :idea:
really?? he called you and apologized? are you sure??
I was just pointing out how interesting it was that you got one derebery motor for free. and one someone (who shall remain nameless) paid a pretty penny for and both of them lasted less than 15 hours. and then shortly after that you stopped offering derebry powerplants. I didn't question the quality of your build, I mean come on, its not like the gas pedals fall off your boats while driving. that only happens on real pos jetboats.....right?

shippingguy
09-11-2006, 07:56 PM
its all good Mike...you know he's just worried that his twin engine Daytona might not hang :wink:
Not worried at all.

Tom Brown
09-11-2006, 07:59 PM
I was just pointing out how interesting it was that you got one derebery motor for free.
My understanding is that John never owned a Derebery motor... nor did he offer them in his boats. He just used one in this custom build as part of the overall promotion.
I think I see the problem. They put the motor in, it over heated and had to be shut down for a while. You probably see that as an install problem.... and a sign of a really good product. :D

ULTRA28
09-11-2006, 08:22 PM
I was just pointing out how interesting it was that you got one derebery motor for free. and one someone (who shall remain nameless) paid a pretty penny for and both of them lasted less than 15 hours. and then shortly after that you stopped offering derebry powerplants. I didn't question the quality of your build, I mean come on, its not like the gas pedals fall off your boats while driving. that only happens on real pos jetboats.....right?
Uhh, Yeah, I'm sure.
Believe me, I'm not here to defend Derebery, but if you want to get technical about the other Derebery engine that went into one of our boats. It ran trouble free until the customer decided to change his own oil and filter, no big deal right. Well then the engine blew within minutes after changing the oil and filter. Turns out the customer admittedly put the wrong filter on becuase the correct one was not available where he shopped. The filter collapsed internally which shut off the oil to the engine. I don't know everything about engines, hell I don't even know much at all, but I do know that no oil is not good. Maybe I'm forgetting some things, but that's about how I remember it.
As for a foot pedal, I'm not sure what boat you're talking about, but if it was one of mine, then yeah, somebody at my shop screwed up bad.

grads2112
09-11-2006, 08:25 PM
I am. I'm enjoying my King title as long as I can before I have to relinquish it to UJ. I'm just hoping my insurance runs out (Oct. 15th) before he gets his running so I don't have to race him until next year which gives me time to get my ass down to whipple this winter...lol

ULTRA28
09-11-2006, 08:29 PM
I am. I'm enjoying my King title as long as I can before I have to relinquish it to UJ. I'm just hoping my insurance runs out (Oct. 15th) before he gets his running so I don't have to race him until next year which gives me time to get my ass down to whipple this winter...lol
I don't really care what you post about my boats as long as you keep that avatar. Thanks for changing it back. That one of the Burger King was just creepy.

dicudmore
09-11-2006, 08:30 PM
now I have another question...is it just me or is John West the only OWNER that gets called out on here when something happens with a boat whether it is an Ultra problem or not?
I don't remember anybody calling Dave out with an issue on a DCB??
Or Bob on an Elim problem?
It seems like it was years ago last time Sy was called out on here...for transoms leaking and almost sinking on the first trip...HIN switching, used/new boats etc.
Anybody else?

dicudmore
09-11-2006, 08:31 PM
I know that feeling

dicudmore
09-11-2006, 08:32 PM
I don't really care what you post about my boats as long as you keep that avatar. Thanks for changing it back. That one of the Burger King was just creepy.
I second that :D

shadow
09-11-2006, 08:37 PM
now I have another question...is it just me or is John West the only OWNER that gets called out on here when something happens with a boat whether it is an Ultra problem or not?
It seems like it was years ago last time Sy was called out on here...for transoms leaking and almost sinking on the first trip...HIN switching, used/new boats etc.
Anybody else?
Dan heard a 29 DCB spun out coming around to corner at blanketship Memorial day weekend,looked like it flipped but when the water settled it was only a 360.
Lets blame that on JW. :rollside:

riverbound
09-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Uhh, Yeah, I'm sure.
:idea: lets just say, I got a phone call after your post stating differently. ;)
but in an effort to keep this thread on track and prevent it from getting locked down, I will just post to the topic at hand.
keep up the good work, you definitely build some of the better looking boats out there.

dicudmore
09-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Dan heard a 29 DCB spun out coming around to corner at blanketship Memorial day weekend,looked like it flipped but when the water settled it was only a 360.
Lets blame that on JW. :rollside:
that damn JW guy :)

grads2112
09-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Lets lighten it up for a moment and everyone go check out the Pastie Cove pics I just posted in the West section.

Marty Gras
09-11-2006, 09:03 PM
While ducking all of the "mud" flying around here I must remind all of you that "the motor" had problems, not "the boat"! If the motor had jumped out of the boat, then we could all have a reason to ask the BOAT BUILDER why. The boat had NO PROBLEM and so just because the boat builder offered a well known 'custom motor' package, still the CUSTOMER NEEDED TO CONTACT THE MOTOR SHOP DIRECTLY, for his own personal specs. If you were smart and got a detailed list of parts and services done to YOUR CUSTOM MOTOR, then you know exactly what you have. If the motor builder offered some "partial truths" or "untruths", you need to get legal advise, but don't try to DRAG the boat builder into this mess. Sorry to hear of your problems, but please try to direct your message to the correct party. This is the very reason I have always built all of my own motors (in my new boats) when my customers demanded something above the stock stuff. Also this way I can ensure that after I water test the boat, you have the correct setup and top performance. Good luck to all of you!

dicudmore
09-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Lets lighten it up for a moment and everyone go check out the Pastie Cove pics I just posted in the West section.
I have a new respect for Eliminator owners after seeing that :cool: :D

acatitude
09-11-2006, 09:06 PM
dont you dare your still the 3rd or 4th fastest in your kingdom :yuk:

acatitude
09-11-2006, 09:09 PM
just say goodbye to turn key boating . imco will love you

Kilrtoy
09-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Anybody else?
Come on dan you know better than that,
ALOT OF THEM DO

djunkie
09-12-2006, 02:14 AM
Anybody else?
Sorry Dan but its just you. I think Ultra is one of the least bashed boat companies on here. Hell Commander alone has him beat on bashings.

abraman1326
09-12-2006, 09:36 AM
UJ didn't come on here and bash Ultra or John West in any way. He was venting his frusteration w/ the motor builder. It sounds to me like he is happy w/ the "boat", just not the misrepresentation he got about the motor, and the service that particular builder is giving. I love how some folks like to put words into someone's mouth. John West, and Ultra, from what I've read, have done a stand up job in trying to help all they can, and it sounds like has gone above and beyond to help a customer get this resolved...
BRA

RiverDave
09-12-2006, 09:51 AM
This thread really isn't about John West, he's doing what he can to solve a problem that technically isn't his. It's about Dereberry.
It sucks that John gets dragged into the middle of this stuff all the time. :(
Dereberry, I wouldn't trust that guy to wash my BBQ. (There's another one for you Jordy)
RD

sigepmock
09-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Anybody else?
I prefer to call Brandie out on any of the Eliminator bashing....... :crossx:
Chris

Nord
09-12-2006, 10:50 AM
As far as the bashing goes, I don't think the Bob or Dave are really on these boards anyways!!!

Cole Trickle
09-12-2006, 10:56 AM
As far as the bashing goes, I don't think the Bob or Dave are really on these boards anyways!!!
Everybody in the boat industry reads HB or has a friend that passes on the info;)

Nord
09-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Everybody in the boat industry reads HB or has a friend that passes on the info;)
They wait for the call then handle it instead of exposing themselves on here (a place where people have to much puter time on their hands) ;)

wsuwrhr
09-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Dereberry, I wouldn't trust that guy to wash my BBQ.
RD
Not a very good comparison, that's a real nice BBQ RD.
How about your lawnmower?
Brian

sigepmock
09-12-2006, 11:24 AM
I don't know.....Dave called me out on the Kool Aid thing pretty fast :D

Beer-30
09-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Yeah, and they didn't even send the piston for you to look at like they were supposed to!
Oh wait, wrong engine thread.

Screaming Pete
09-12-2006, 11:38 AM
The thread is about Derebery and venting my frustrations with Derebery and their lack of quality workmanship.
JW has been very helpful and continues to be very helpful.
how about this, here's my client report card:
Ultra Boat hull = A
Ultra gelcoat = off the charts A+++
Ultra Rigging = A
(I dunno who did the install) Stereo = A
Ultra Interior = A (could have used some grab handles for the backseat passengers)
Extreme Trailer = A
Bam Transmission = D
IMCO 4x4 Drive = D
Derebery Motor = below the charts F-
Ultra Financing = A+ (they even financed the guy who bought my old boat)
Ultra Customer service = A+
Ulta John, what i feel IMHO you should do now is to get this A+ boat back up and running and enjoy it during the best time of the year with your wife and family.......get everything you do on the boat motor checked out and written warrntey on the rebuild if you can, and don't let anyone touch that motor that you don't have a solid relationship with...even for an oil change. It is a big A$$ motor be kind to your drive componets. at this point your resale value of the boat is dammaged to you rebuild it so follow up with your results from the rebuild and good luck. i have also owned 2 Ultras and have never lost a penny on my resale
Pete

RiverDave
09-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Ulta John, what i feel IMHO you should do now is to get this A+ boat back up and running and enjoy it during the best time of the year with your wife and family.......get everything you do on the boat motor checked out and written warrntey on the rebuild if you can, and don't let anyone touch that motor that you don't have a solid relationship with...even for an oil change. It is a big A$$ motor be kind to your drive componets. at this point your resale value of the boat is dammaged to you rebuild it so follow up with your results from the rebuild and good luck. i have also owned 2 Ultras and have never lost a penny on my resale
Pete
Why would you say that? If anything the resale of the boat probably just went up from the people that have had past dealings with Dereberry.. In knowing that his slipshot work has been gone through and fixed, it would instill more faith in perspective buyers down the road?
RD

acatitude
09-12-2006, 12:19 PM
shit John now they are worried about the resale value, lol..... just get it going and let me know when your water testing I want to see it

Screaming Pete
09-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Why would you say that? If anything the resale of the boat probably just went up from the people that have had past dealings with Dereberry.. In knowing that his slipshot work has been gone through and fixed, it would instill more faith in perspective buyers down the road?
RD
RD that what i mean by starting a good paper trail of having it fixed right and serviced by someone that stands behind thier work
pete

grads2112
09-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Pastie value so far this summer $0.00

RiverDave
09-12-2006, 12:57 PM
RD that what i mean by starting a good paper trail of having it fixed right and serviced by someone that stands behind thier work
pete
Well there ya go.. ;)
RD

Kilrtoy
09-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Don't we all wish we had friends like grads2112

shippingguy
09-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Don't we all wish we had friends like grads2112
NOPE!!

wettin my shorts
09-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Yeah Johnny, get it running so we can burn that last batch of fuel that I put in. By the way, can I use your lake pass this weekend? I've had it all summer!!!!

dicudmore
NOPE!!
you may rethink that statement after you see the pastie pics he posted :cool:

Biglue
HAs anyone tried to reach JJ and let him know what happened to the motor after it was sold? I wonder what he would say.

grads2112
09-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Yeah Johnny, get it running so we can burn that last batch of fuel that I put in. By the way, can I use your lake pass this weekend? I've had it all summer!!!!
Are you going out this weekend? and if so which one of us is UltraJohn gonna boat bitch for? I'll take him Saturday and he's yours on Sunday.

Kilrtoy
09-12-2006, 01:07 PM
you may rethink that statement after you see the pastie pics he posted :cool:
Pretty sure shipping guy and myself would pass

shippingguy
09-12-2006, 01:09 PM
Kilr I definitely would agree with you. Dan I know what you are saying, but I would much rather look elsewhere to get some pics. Like on my own boat, yours or Kilr's. :p

abraman1326
09-12-2006, 01:10 PM
John, if you need an extra set of hands when you put her in the water for the water test, let me know, I can head up and assist. Hope it goes well...
BRA

dicudmore
09-12-2006, 01:11 PM
in your or his position I would pass as well...

Devilman
09-12-2006, 01:13 PM
HAs anyone tried to reach JJ and let him know what happened to the motor after it was sold? I wonder what he would say.
"Don't forget to watch Monster Garage"?
I dunno...... :rollside:

Kilrtoy
09-12-2006, 01:13 PM
in your or his position I would pass as well...
I will go out on a limb here his and mine...
You know if you leave the channel once in awhile, I can tell you where you can see all that and more....
BUT YOU HAVE TO LEAVE THE CHANNEL AND THE 50 cops behind who prey on the channel

dicudmore
09-12-2006, 01:16 PM
You know if you leave the channel once in awhile, I can tell you where you can see all that and more....
BUT YOU HAVE TO LEAVE THE CHANNEL AND THE 50 cops behind who prey on the channel
last I saw you was at the sandbar I believe??
we're not picky, we run the whole lake...Todd is the one in the channel :wink:

shippingguy
09-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Kilr all I can say is in about 3-4 weeks Dan will be leaving the channel I can guarantee that. We will be out with the new boat and we have some gas to burn together. I will pull Dan's boat out of the channel with a tow rope if I have to. :rollside: It has been too long we cannot wait to boat with everybody again. We have been boatless since June.

Kilrtoy
09-12-2006, 01:22 PM
r. I will pull Dan's boat out of the STORAGE UNIT with a tow rope if I have to. :rollside: .
I corrected it for you... :boxed: :boxed:
Let us know I would love to go for a ride in that monster

dicudmore
09-12-2006, 01:25 PM
I can't run the damn thing when I'm in Utah... :220v:
I missed the last 2 weekends :cry:
Will be back by the weekend of the 23rd and will be burning gas all winter long. :cool:

shippingguy
09-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Oh boy... I am not going to get in the middle of that one :) . Any time you guys want to go for a ride the seats are always open. I would like to take a ride in yours as well. We should be out for sure Oct. 6-9 for the Hot Boat evaluations. We are keeping our fingers crossed everything continues to run smooth. We are planning on coming out for a week. :rollside:

voodoomedman
09-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Hey us Ultra owners don't drink special Kool-aid or wear black socks!!! You sure you want to be seen in one of our boats? :D :) :)

shippingguy
09-12-2006, 01:28 PM
...will be burning gas all winter long. :cool:
That is what I like to hear :cool:

Kilrtoy
09-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Hey us Ultra owners don't drink special Kool-aid or wear black socks!!! You sure you want to be seen in one of our boats? :D :) :)
yeah , but that aint no noramally powered ultra either... :boxed:

dicudmore
09-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Oh boy... I am not going to get in the middle of that one :) . Any time you guys want to go for a ride the seats are always open. I would like to take a ride in yours as well. We should be out for sure Oct. 6-9 for the Hot Boat evaluations. We are keeping our fingers crossed everything continues to run smooth. We are planning on coming out for a week. :rollside:
I think you have connections for a better spot but if you guys need a place to stay you're welcome to use my house

dicudmore
09-12-2006, 01:33 PM
I can verify that they have been in one already

sigepmock
09-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Kilr all I can say is in about 3-4 weeks Dan will be leaving the channel I can guarantee that. We will be out with the new boat and we have some gas to burn together. I will pull Dan's boat out of the channel with a tow rope if I have to. :rollside: It has been too long we cannot wait to boat with everybody again. We have been boatless since June.
Blah blah blah....you're not the only who was boatless this summer :cry: But for some reason ....I don't seem to mind anymore :crossx:
Starting next weekend we'll be out in Havasu everyother weekend from now till Xmas....if all goes as planned.
Mike you and Holly are more than welcome to come ride with us anytime...and I know Dan is always looking for a good boat biatch or two :)

voodoomedman
09-12-2006, 01:36 PM
yeah , but that aint no noramally powered ultra either... :boxed:
I'm beginning to wonder about you. You also say that you hate the 40 and 15 and only take rice road but I found a thread where you were talking about being on the 40 recently. Hmmmmmmmm one ride in Mike and Holly's Shadow and with the Teague and we just might get you to jump to the other side of El Cajon. :D :) :)

dicudmore
09-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Blah blah blah....you're not the only who was boatless this summer :cry: But for some reason ....I don't seem to mind anymore :crossx:
Starting next weekend we'll be out in Havasu everyother weekend from now till Xmas....if all goes as planned.
Mike you and Holly are more than welcome to come ride with us anytime...and I know Dan is always looking for a good boat biatch or two :)
yes, yes I am...hell, they know where the keys are to it anyway...they just haven't gone out to use it

shippingguy
09-12-2006, 01:39 PM
I think you have connections for a better spot but if you guys need a place to stay you're welcome to use my house
Thanks for the offer Dan. We may stay down in Havasu or at our House in Fort Mohave. Either way we will get together for sure. Mock zip it buddy I am not to far behind and this will be the only time I will be behind you :argue: Just messing with you! By the way how did the boat run this weekend? From what I could see it looked great on the water in that pic posted earlier.

shippingguy
09-12-2006, 01:41 PM
I actually do where black socks. I hope I am not ban from the Ultra Family now. :)

voodoomedman
09-12-2006, 01:43 PM
I actually do where black socks. I hope I am not ban from the Ultra Family now. :)
Naah we don't hate. I meant that we don't all do it as a cult thing. Of course it will cost you a beer though.

shippingguy
09-12-2006, 01:44 PM
yes, yes I am...hell, they know where the keys are to it anyway...they just haven't gone out to use it
Again, thanks and we appreciate that, but you know I would feel terrible if something happened. Plus it will be more fun when we both are out there and I really do not know how to drive these things at all :p

sigepmock
09-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the offer Dan. We may stay down in Havasu or at our House in Fort Mohave. Either way we will get together for sure. Mock zip it buddy I am not to far behind and this will be the only time I will be behind you :argue: Just messing with you! By the way how did the boat run this weekend? From what I could see it looked great on the water in that pic posted earlier.
Just you wait Dan and I are going to make a trip to Fresno to visit a friend of mine....then we'll see who's behind who buddy :crossx: :D
But mabye it is a good idea you stay out in front of me.....have you seen me drive this thing..... :220v:
All seriousness, the boat ran great. It was an windy chopped up washing machine Havasu day and I didn't feel a thing, the boat ate everything up. Wow what a difference.
Hijack continued......

shippingguy
09-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Naah we don't hate. I meant that we don't all do it as a cult thing. Of course it will cost you a beer though.
Alright that is fair. I do not wear a straight bill hat though so that should count for something and redeem me a little bit.

dicudmore
09-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Again, thanks and we appreciate that, but you know I would feel terrible if something happened. Plus it will be more fun when we both are out there and I really do not know how to drive these things at all :p
Holly must have racked up those 109 hours on that last one huh :crossx:
Oh, I guess JW racked some up with demo rides too :wink:

dicudmore
09-12-2006, 01:49 PM
Alright that is fair. I do not wear a straight bill hat though so that should count for something and redeem me a little bit.
yes, yes it does :cool:
the fact that you're married into the Ultra "family" helps too

shippingguy
09-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Just you wait Dan and I are going to make a trip to Fresno to visit a friend of mine....then we'll see who's behind who buddy :crossx: :D
But mabye it is a good idea you stay out in front of me.....have you seen me drive this thing..... :220v:
All seriousness, the boat ran great. It was an windy chopped up washing machine Havasu day and I didn't feel a thing, the boat ate everything up. Wow what a difference.
Hijack continued......
That is great I am glad you are happy. Of course I knew you would be. I am sure you drive just fine. About that Fresno thing let me know so I can start planning ahead and changing some pulleys and doing a few adjustments... :crossx:

dicudmore
09-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Hijack continued......
you'll have it figured out soon I'm sure...one thing about that hull is there is no tricks to it...no porpoise, nothing strange...just point and go :cool:
you have my attention on this Fresno thing...the problem is what I want and what I can afford are battling each other :crossx: :220v: :argue: :skull:

RiverDave
09-12-2006, 01:56 PM
I left a message with his assistant today. I'm not holding my breath hoping that he will call though. I'm betting that he gets hundreds of calls a day from various people...so I doubt that JJ (or his assistant) will call back.
Just out of curiosity.. What are you planning on telling him? And or what do you hope to accomplish by talking to him? Even if you did get through he doesn't know shit about the boat (Never drove it?)
RD

voodoomedman
09-12-2006, 02:01 PM
It sure does. That and your married to Holly. I actually don't mind Straight billed hats too much but I freaking can't stand when people wear them crooked. I want to slap them and tell them how stupid they look. And don't worry about the beer, here's my liquor cabinet in Havi http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17556

Kilrtoy
09-12-2006, 02:08 PM
I'm beginning to wonder about you. You also say that you hate the 40 and 15 and only take rice road but I found a thread where you were talking about being on the 40 recently. Hmmmmmmmm one ride in Mike and Holly's Shadow and with the Teague and we just might get you to jump to the other side of El Cajon. :D :) :)
Actually i took the 40 last week, EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE, I have to go to N. L.A. County, so rice road would be way out of the way...
I STILL HATE THE 15 with a passion...
As far as the other side of El CAJON, you never know, if ultra makes a cat with twin wacka's and the prices are dropping like walmart, why not

shippingguy
09-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Actually i took the 40 last week, EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE, I have to go to N. L.A. County, so rice road would be way out of the way...
As far as the other side of El CAJON, you never know, if ultra makes a cat with twin wacka's and the prices are dropping like walmart, why not
Hey you could always do the new 26 Deck with twin whackas :cool: Your boat is beautiful and I would stick with it for a while longer. :p

voodoomedman
09-12-2006, 02:12 PM
I hear you. I will go 15 on a Mon-Thu but Friday night it's out the 10 and usually the same home on Sun.

Nord
09-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Just out of curiosity.. What are you planning on telling him? And or what do you hope to accomplish by talking to him? Even if you did get through he doesn't know shit about the boat (Never drove it?)
RD
I was just about to comment on the same thing!!!
Why would he give 2 sh*ts about this whole ordeal. The only time he would care is if he was liable for the false information on the engine size, but once again, the salesman is to blame for that (even though he didn't know).
I think your going to get nowhere if you contact him.
Just rebuild the thing, call it a live and learn experience, and have a coke and a smile :)

wsuwrhr
09-12-2006, 02:45 PM
I was just about to comment on the same thing!!!
Why would he give 2 sh*ts about this whole ordeal. The only time he would care is if he was liable for the false information on the engine size, but once again, the salesman is to blame for that (even though he didn't know).
I think your going to get nowhere if you contact him.
Just rebuild the thing, call it a live and learn experience, and have a coke and a smile :)
I posted the same thing since day two and got blasted for it.
I hope his boating days start looking up.
Brian

ratso
09-12-2006, 02:55 PM
RD
Maybe he will buy it back and blow the FAWK out of it with that freakin' submachine gun that was mounted on the SUV... That was awesome!

RiverDave
09-12-2006, 03:39 PM
I'm over this thread. I can't say what I want to say without pissing a bunch of people off and I'm not trying to go down that road so.
Ultra John,
At the end of the day if it was Me my focus and anger would be pointed towards Dereberry, and I'd be looking to John West to be right by my side on those phone calls. In knowing JW I'm sure he's doing his best to make things right, but he can't assume responsibillity for something that had nothing to do with him. The deal sucks all the way around.
- To the Ultra haters -
At the end of the day, my take on John West for those that are trying to make this about "Ultra." I'd buy a boat off him tomorrow if I had the cash and he had a boat that filled my needs.
He's one of the nicest guys in the industry, and one of the few that goes out of his way to make things right (even in some cases when it's not his problem or responsibillity) Anyone remember the D&S thread when Justin's boat sat down there forever and sat out in the rain etc?? It was JW that went over and picked it up.
He's constantly helped other boaters, helped put together boating events (OP6? JW was a larger part of that then most of ya think.. Where do you figure all the give aways came from?) Donates to charitable causes, especially when the charitable cause is one of our own on here that fell into ______ (too many to list) problems.
JW has stepped up in my experience far more then anybody else on ***boat both personally, and on a mfg level. His reputation on ***boat is impecable, and is built upon actions of compassion, class, integrity, and honesty. I don't think it's right to throw him or Ultra under the bus for a motor that they didn't build, or a boat that they were trying to sell for somebody else.
RD

acatitude
09-12-2006, 04:00 PM
I dont think anyone is trying to throw JW or Ultra under the bus...... maybe I missed it, but if they are then its just the usual people who hijack a thread and go off on a tanjent...... ultra John has repeatedly stated that he has no issues with JW or Ultra...... and its his thread....... keep us posted John, so you can take that case of beer from grads and that other wacka boy on here :p :p :yuk: .... Poor grads,,, seems the kingdom is shrinking, but he is the king of pastie cove.... :rolleyes: lol :rollside:

rrrr
09-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Very nicely stated RD. JW has nothing to do with this and since I haven't seen ANY kind of guarantee in writing from ANYONE let alone Derbery (hell, as far as we know, Derebery NEVER stated the motor was NEW), then suck it up, pay the bill and let this POS whiney ass thread die! Chock it up to experience and UJ not doing his homework! Let's put the blame for UJ getting a pos motor where it really belongs.-> you figure it out.
Rio
I'll tellya what, any sonofabitch that paints an aluminum cylinder head is just a loser.