PDA

View Full Version : Dish Network and Internet Service

89checkmate
09-10-2006, 09:55 AM
We are switching from cable to Dish Network. by doing this, we are losing our hi speed internet.
What are my options for internet?
Thanks

H20Advantage
09-10-2006, 10:04 AM
You should be able to keep the cable. Satellite interent sucked when I used it in Powell this summer.

voodoomedman
09-10-2006, 10:04 AM
We are switching from cable to Dish Network. by doing this, we are losing our hi speed internet.
Thanks
Isn't Gilbert Phoenix suburbs? I would think that you should have DSL available through your phone company.

Cheap Thrills
09-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Direct Way (http://www.direcway.bz/orderhughesnet.html)
Better than cable except on cloudy days :D
C.T. :wink:

MR HARLEY
09-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Keep the cable and just use the Dish Network for your T.V. I have the same set-up, cable for my internet and the HD box set-up to all my T.V.'s through Dish. I also use the cable company for our phone.

Richie Rich
09-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Thanks
You should be able to go internet only from your local cable provider. I'm currently running Dish Network for TV and Comcast hi speed broadband for my internet. I'm paying right around $75 a month for TV and $60 a month for internet only. Not sure how the pricing schemes are where you are but Comcast offers package deals and discounts for multiple products (i.e. TV, internet VoIP phone) where I am. I'll be dumping Comcast at the end of this week in favor of Verizon FIOS which offers twice the bandwith and a static IP for right around $40 a month. I'd like to go FIOS for TV as well but I have a big investment in my Dish equipment. I'm also switching my phone from Vonage VoIP to Verizon VoIP for as part of a Verizon package deal.
BTW, I think that Dish Network offers a DSL option for internet but I'm not sure how well it works and I don't know anybody using it.

89checkmate
09-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Keep the cable and just use the Dish Network for your T.V. I have the same set-up, cable for my internet and the HD box set-up to all my T.V.'s through Dish. I also use the cable company for our phone.
Did you have to run another co axial line to separate the two systems?

Trailer Park Casanova
09-10-2006, 10:54 AM
Daughter used it when it first came out.
She was sick with mono for a year and kept in touch with her schoolwork when we were on the road.
Good for the day,, but compaired to dsl on fiber optic we're told not as good, slower in weather.

MR HARLEY
09-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Did you have to run another co axial line to separate the two systems?
To tell you the truth I'm not to familiar with that :frown:
Dish and the cable company did everything, I just let them know what I wanted.
The only systems that run together for me are the phone and internet service, there is a little black box in my garage where they transfer everything into. Sorry I could'nt be of more help.

dmontzsta
09-10-2006, 11:18 AM
I dont even want to get started on Dish network. I just canned them.

Richie Rich
09-10-2006, 12:28 PM
I dont even want to get started on Dish network. I just canned them.
Mind if I ask why you canned them?

sorry dog
09-10-2006, 07:04 PM
I had a friend spend a bunch of money a while back on this for the business he was working for at the time that was up on a mountain.
It worked OK for surfing. The bandwidth or transfer rates weren't too bad, but the ping times were kinda bad...usually around 1000ms. So if you keep multiple pages open and surf kind of fast or if you want to do anything real time like games or VoIP I'd be surprised if you end up happy. But yall get less weather out there so who knows.
They finally got cable up there so I'm guessing they switched but I dunno since friend don't work there no more.
...Now shall we talk about how PPPoE sucks ass? I wouldn't have ever known except I had an actual bridged connection when DSL was still rolling out. The bandwidth was only 256Kbs but seemed much faster - only 3 hops to a backbone.

dmontzsta
09-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Mind if I ask why you canned them?
Well, first off I had it in 4 rooms, but they use 2 boxes to run 4 rooms. There was interference and the channels would change at random. When I called them to ask if they can fix it, they wanted to charge $80 just to come out. The DVR system also sucks, the recorded shows would have alot of interuption when I would watch them, like a digitized screen. Also, they installed the DVR box in the wrong room to begin with and I did not sign off on it, to have them change it, they wanted $80. My bill started at $62 and ended up at $82 over the course of a year, with all their little "taxes". Everytime I would call them, I was on hold forever and their customer service reps were just assholes. The list goes on...I wanted out of the contract in the first week. When that day came last month, I was so happy, then I had to hear the lady on the phone try and talk me in to staying, by offering me free service and this and that. BS.

Kindsvater Flat
09-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Well, first off I had it in 4 rooms, but they use 2 boxes to run 4 rooms. There was interference and the channels would change at random. When I called them to ask if they can fix it, they wanted to charge $80 just to come out. The DVR system also sucks, the recorded shows would have alot of interuption when I would watch them, like a digitized screen. Also, they installed the DVR box in the wrong room to begin with and I did not sign off on it, to have them change it, they wanted $80. My bill started at $62 and ended up at $82 over the course of a year, with all their little "taxes". Everytime I would call them, I was on hold forever and their customer service reps were just assholes. The list goes on...I wanted out of the contract in the first week. When that day came last month, I was so happy, then I had to hear the lady on the phone try and talk me in to staying, by offering me free service and this and that. BS.
Just wait until you get the come back to us phone calls.