PDA

View Full Version : Re-installing thru transom exhaust

dunerking
09-10-2006, 04:53 PM
When I re-install the thru transom exhaust tips,about how much silicone should I mound up?Is there a certain type of silicone to use?Sorry for the rookie questions,thanks for the help.

Rexone
09-10-2006, 05:26 PM
When I re-install the thru transom exhaust tips,about how much silicone should I mound up?Is there a certain type of silicone to use?Sorry for the rookie questions,thanks for the help.
Use "Marine Grade" silicone like Boatlife (http://www.rexmar.com/page381.html) . Not the bathroom crap. Use only enough to seal so you can get them off again when necessary. I don't recommend using anything stronger than silicone for exhaust tips, not necessary and makes them a bitch to get off later. Make sure the transom wood is sealed with resin (several coats) if you've got unfinished wood surface.

old rigger
09-10-2006, 06:38 PM
This might be obvious, but when you mount the ex tip, you should already have placed the silicone on it. Meaning you don't apply the silicone after the tip is installed. You apply it, a bead between 1/8 and 1/4 inch wide is fine, to the center of the lip that mounts flat to the transom. Snug up the bolts and them wipe away all excess silicone that squeezes out. If you see any silicone left, you've done it wrong. If you see other boats that have the stuff 'mounded' up around the flang of the ex tip, they've done it wrong.
There isn't a part on the planet that once it's mounted to a hull should have silicone showing, with the exception of the two lower screws that hold a stock TA to the transom. (or when installing a glass TA or plates for set back pump) :)

dunerking
09-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the info,Old Rigger the way you explained it was the way it looked when I removed the tips.The holes in the transom,and the transom as a whole is in good condition,but I did resin the holes up just in case.Will I find the Boatlife "marine grade"silicone at any boat supply shop?Thanks again for the info!

YeLLowBoaT
09-10-2006, 08:02 PM
if you added resin to the holes... make sure the tips fit b4 you silcone them in... I took out afreinds to polish( from rough cast) the holes had ~ 1/16-1/8th of a inch of total play in them. Well the added resin to the holes made it so it would not slip in with out getting out the mallet...