PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here w/ ????'s

Diabolic
09-10-2006, 07:25 PM
I currently do not have a boat, but am looking at one here in Arlington Tx to purchase. I don't want to get hosed so I figured I would join and ask opinions as to wether its a good deal or not. The boat is a 1991 Liberator 21' tunnel hull. It has a V8 300 horse Johnson outboard, 2 aluminum fuel tanks, and a driver and pasenger seat. The guy told me it has a new transom???? He said the engine was a 1993 model and was modified to 350 hp. The boat has a rubber bumper around the entire boat that was just replaced and the gel coat was sanded off from the bumper up. Below the rubber bumper the paint and gelcoat look perfect. He told me it would cost $1000 to re-gelcoat the top half. Does this sound correct. The trailer is a tandom axle with rotten tires. He is going through a divorce and is really strapped for cash. Boat is just sitting out in the weather and was full of leaves, grass, and rain water. He said I could have it all for $7500. Is this a good deal? I don't have a clue in the world so I was hoping to join this site and get some input. Thanks for your help! :)

YeLLowBoaT
09-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Well with all you have said it needs/ has been done. I would go over that boat with a micro scope looking anything else wrong. IMO $7500 seems alittle high from your discription.
oh yeah $1000 to regel a deck... maybe in a dream world. more like 5k, hell it would cost you ~ 500-700 just for the materials.

Diabolic
09-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Is it not possible to apply a clear coat instead of a gel coat since the top half wont be in the water all the time? Is a 1993 V8 300 horse Johnson a good engine? It looks huge on that boat! What would that boat be worth with a good interior and nice paint?

W.O.T
09-10-2006, 09:04 PM
you could probably have the top half painted and have it look pretty decent. i know the graphics on my boat are painted and it looks sweet. 7500 is a really good price for a boat like that in good condition. but it sounds like it might be a little rough. i think the guy would take less if he is going through a rough time. just point out all that is wrong with the boat. i have no experience with the evinrude v8s but i have heard that they are kinda tough to find parts for and get expensive. thats just what ive heard though. the transom is the rear of the hull that the motor bolts to. i wonder what happened to it that it needed to be replaced. i would look into that make sure it is in good shape and find out who did the work. it would be a sweet boat if in or close to being in good shape but also look around for something in good shape you might be able to get for the same $. i personally wouldnt want anything without a good mercury outboard. also keep in mind the money you will need to spend to get it lake worthy. you could be looking at 8-10grand or more tires/paint etc. you could get a turnkey boat for that much$

Kim Hanson
09-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Is it not possible to apply a clear coat instead of a gel coat since the top half wont be in the water all the time? Is a 1993 V8 300 horse Johnson a good engine? It looks huge on that boat! What would that boat be worth with a good interior and nice paint?
I have this one a 90 HST with a 340HP Rude, I like the roar of the engine and makes me go like 106mph. The bad thing is I really like to break them alot :p keep it under 6500 and it should last ya, if that boat was right here..I would buy it..good luck with your new Tunnel.......( . )( . )........I love the look of all engine... :crossx: mine was like 15,000 :cry:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72post-2-1089845913.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72post-2-1089845455.jpg

Greg_Moss
09-11-2006, 06:33 PM
I'd have a glass man look at it before I gave him a nickel. if it had leaves and things like that in it,that stuff holds water and wtaer will rot the wood in the boat. To me it sounds like it's WAY over priced. I think from what you said it might turn out to be a bigger project than you really want to get into. Myself i would pass on it. If the boat is full of leaves and branches he didn't most likely take any better care of the motor. Ask Kim how much it costs to repair a V-8 outboard. Clue: it's big bucks!!!! Pass on it. Just my oppinion.

Tom Brown
09-11-2006, 06:36 PM
How come when you're buying a beat to hell car, the seller always has an aural quote of $500 for body work and paint?
If it were me, I'd offer $8500 with new gel. Be aware, however, that will totally piss him off. :D
The boat is a 1991 Liberator 21' tunnel hull. It has a V8 300 horse Johnson outboard, 2 aluminum fuel tanks, and a driver and pasenger seat. The guy told me it has a new transom???? He said the engine was a 1993 model and was modified to 350 hp.
.... The trailer is a tandom axle with rotten tires.
Most guys who have the cash for outboard hop-ups drive around with rotten trailer tires. :D
Diabolic, it's all bad. First, you don't seem to know a lot about boats and you're looking at a boat that will not be cheap to own, even if it's good.
Frankly, I think it's a near certainty that the 350 hp number is just some bullshit he either made up or was told by a previous owner. That number means absolutely zero without a dyno sheet from a reputable company that you can call to verify.
Everybody loves the big V8 OMC engines but, in stock form, I understand they have some nasty sympathetic vibrations at certain RPM that will break the crank. Also, they don't put out nearly as much power as they look like they would put out. There is the odd guy who has a heavily modified v8 that makes huge power but with the very odd exception, they are all getting their asses kicked by much smaller engines. Have a look at the boats that have done big numbers on radar at published events. I've never seen a v8 OMC on the back of one of those boats. The pictures I've seen have all been Merc. 2.5 liter engines on the back of the boats posting up those 125+ mph numbers.
... not that they're a bad engine, but it's a 13 year old engine that's very likely had a tough life. It's not the kind of thing that makes for a good first boat ownership experience.
As far as the transom goes, I'd have a good long look at the workmanship and, if you're serious about the boat, have it checked out by a good glass man. If it's been sitting out in the rain for a few years, it could very easily be gone again, if it was replaced in the first place.
Just my opinion but this deal has more red flags waving than a group of asian transvestites hauling 10 foot poles on their bicycles.

Kim Hanson
09-11-2006, 08:18 PM
I'd have a glass man look at it before I gave him a nickel. if it had leaves and things like that in it,that stuff holds water and wtaer will rot the wood in the boat. To me it sounds like it's WAY over priced. I think from what you said it might turn out to be a bigger project than you really want to get into. Myself i would pass on it. If the boat is full of leaves and branches he didn't most likely take any better care of the motor. Ask Kim how much it costs to repair a V-8 outboard. Clue: it's big bucks!!!! Pass on it. Just my oppinion.
Yes it is big bucks, I have a stock 300 that I can get for half what it will cost me to rebuild again............( . )( . )............I'm doing good...2 engines in 2 years, must be the gas :p :D

Kim Hanson
09-11-2006, 08:29 PM
How come when you're buying a beat to hell car, the seller always has an aural quote of $500 for body work and paint?
If it were me, I'd offer $8500 with new gel. Be aware, however, that will totally piss him off. :D
Most guys who have the cash for outboard hop-ups drive around with rotten trailer tires. :D
Diabolic, it's all bad. First, you don't seem to know a lot about boats and you're looking at a boat that will not be cheap to own, even if it's good.
Frankly, I think it's a near certainty that the 350 hp number is just some bullshit he either made up or was told by a previous owner. That number means absolutely zero without a dyno sheet from a reputable company that you can call to verify.
Everybody loves the big V8 OMC engines but, in stock form, I understand they have some nasty sympathetic vibrations at certain RPM that will break the crank. Also, they don't put out nearly as much power as they look like they would put out. There is the odd guy who has a heavily modified v8 that makes huge power but with the very odd exception, they are all getting their asses kicked by much smaller engines. Have a look at the boats that have done big numbers on radar at published events. I've never seen a v8 OMC on the back of one of those boats. The pictures I've seen have all been Merc. 2.5 liter engines on the back of the boats posting up those 125+ mph numbers.
... not that they're a bad engine, but it's a 13 year old engine that's very likely had a tough life. It's not the kind of thing that makes for a good first boat ownership experience.
As far as the transom goes, I'd have a good long look at the workmanship and, if you're serious about the boat, have it checked out by a good glass man. If it's been sitting out in the rain for a few years, it could very easily be gone again, if it was replaced in the first place.
Just my opinion but this deal has more red flags waving than a group of asian transvestites hauling 10 foot poles on their bicycles.
My last rebuild was by a V-Drive guy that raced boats, he just took way to much off the heads..tooo much compression killed it.........( . )( . )........ask Chase, even at 95 mph she was vibration free. :) I love the engine when it performs, it moves fast..but when they break, they break bad.............. :cry: :cry:

Tom Brown
09-11-2006, 09:57 PM
My last rebuild was by a V-Drive guy that raced boats, he just took way to much off the heads..tooo much compression killed it.........( . )( . )........ask Chase, even at 95 mph she was vibration free. :) I love the engine when it performs, it moves fast..but when they break, they break bad.............. :cry: :cry:
Yeah, well... look where it got him. :D
Kim, I love your HST. It's a beautiful boat. :cool:

Kim Hanson
09-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Yeah, well... look where it got him. :D
Kim, I love your HST. It's a beautiful boat. :cool:
Thanks buddy, the next boat you might not think the same way :p I am in the process of looking at new SeaDoo Jet boats, Marcy would love one! Well it would give her something to drive on the water and new it would have warranty :D :D women drivers ya know break shit up.........( . )( . ).......I break it up also, but I pay for my fun times......... :crossx: