PDA

View Full Version : woodgrain cloth info on daycruisers

spectras only
05-06-2002, 06:53 PM
Guys ,I've got a question .What was the material laid in the mould, before the woodgrain cloth was laid in the seventies's cruisers? My painter wants to know ,before he preparing the surface for the endura primer.I'm not going to restore the woodgrain,and don't want to grind into the cloth either,just want to know if the endura primer will bond to this surface.Is it resin ,epoxy or what? Thanks for any reply.

old rigger
05-07-2002, 11:10 AM
Spectras only,
I'll tell you what I know about the way it was done. I hope this will help you out.
Just like adding a color, a certain area is masked off on the mold where you want the wood cloth to go. After you blow on the color, the paper and tape is pulled exposing the spot for the woodgrain. This is the bare mold right now. Next you have to spray clear gel coat on this area. Then, after it kicks, you put on the wood cloth,( sometimes it was paper looking stuff that was very hard to work with. Later it was much nicer, looking a lot more like real wood, if that's possible). Then the color was added on top (the backside) of the paper to give it the look you wanted, walnut, maple, so on. Then the deck and hull was laid up like normal.
I honestly don't know what the gel was, epoxy, polyester, or what ever was being used, but the first step in puting that stuff in was clear gelcoat.
Hope this helps........

spectras only
05-07-2002, 11:28 AM
thanks for the info OR.You right about the difference in material being used.My 20 spectra [ex,just sold it] had a real looking woodgrain versa the 24 that looks rather dull and fake,hence I want to delete it.It was probably clear gel in the early seventies.Thanks again.

Dans66Stevens
05-12-2002, 01:03 PM
There is a name for that Shit!!!!!! I can't remember what its called.........

SPECTRABRENT
05-12-2002, 06:43 PM
THe name of the wood grain cloth is Pacalone,
sorry about the spelling.
I am having mine redone at JOes Tooling in Sun Valley, Ca. and its fiberglass cloth.
Brent

spectra75
05-13-2002, 07:24 AM
Brent, Are you having that done on your XS? It sounds like your restoring it to original condition. Let's see some pictures. What's the story behind the red, white and grey XS you sold that is now for sale? It seems like the guy is selling it kind of cheap for all the work he put into it.
spectra75

Hustler
05-13-2002, 08:01 AM
I can tell you this about the red white and grey 24 XS is that he is about to buy a house and really needs to sell the boat, I dont think you will find 24 XS that clean for that price.
Hustler

SPECTRABRENT
05-13-2002, 10:27 AM
Spectra75,
That red & white Spectra XS is sold. My friend bought the boat last week. I rode in it Sat. and it is worth every penny. My friend got the deal of the century.
My XS is at the gel coat shop. I am trying to go back to original with the wood grain.
The motor is being rebuilt from a 509 to 540.
Interior is already done (its original lay out).
Brent
[This message has been edited by SPECTRABRENT (edited May 13, 2002).]