PDA

View Full Version : shakedown run results

steelcomp
09-10-2006, 08:56 PM
I finally got the boat on the water today...almost two years to the day since the last time it ran. Ran it in the driveway yesterday and it fired first crank. Got to the lakae today and it was a pretty nice day for a shakedown run. Not too busy, and no wind. Put it in the water and did a couple laps, and that was enough. Just a little too rough to do a full pass, but that wasn't the intent anyway. I did get in a good five-count a couple of times, and it stayed hooked, and ran perfect. Boat accelerates very hard, but out of the hole it goes right to the limiter with about half throttle. Pedal it once, though, and it's by-by. It's turning the prepped BC/inducer right at 6550 rpm. It's in the high 80's today...probably near 3000' DA, and I know I'm at least two jet sizes rich. The engine is phenominal for a 467. Instant throttle response and excellent power. I was told to expect no more than about 6200 with the BC, so I'm real pleased with the rpm. The bottom work seems to be evident. The boat just feels like it's gliding across the water, not all confused like it used to be. Calgo steering is something to get used to. Frankly, to me, the cable steering seemed way more precise (but has too much play). The calgo feels somewhat spongy, but there's no play. The boat takes a lot more steering input now, but I have a feeling that's because of the set back pump...hell, the boat's almost a foot longer now. Could be also that the bottom, being way more precise, is taking more to turn, but give it some wheel, stand on it a little, and it comes around nicely. Just have to back out of the wheel a little when it starts coming around. The boat was very stable, and has zero shutdown issues at this point, with the shoe 1/16th above the keel. It did nothing unusual or surprising, which was a reilef. With 2.5* of plate, and 2* of nozzle, it feels like it's running very flat, but that's hard to say. It always seems like this boat is running flat from the driver's seat. I do know that it pulls very hard...way harder than it did when it ran in teh 90's, and is way faster on top end. I didn't have a GPS, and the speedo isn't hooked up, so I can only go by the seat of my pants. We'll get all that info next weekend at Ming. In the mean time, I'm glad to report what seems to be 100% success at this point. I'm going to leave the set-up exactly as it is, and baseline from there.
I had a friend take some video so hopefully, I can get that up here in a couple of days.
Here's a few pics of the boat now that it's basically done.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729first_run.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729first_run2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729first_run3.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729first_run4.jpg

RCB19
09-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Steel you have got to be stoked to have it back in the water. The boat looks flawless and I'm sure it truely is due to your patients with the whole project. Can't wait to see what it runs once you get your setup dialed in. Nice to see a ride that is rigged the right way. Very clean Steel!

poncho-pwr
09-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Congrats and the boat looks great! It is a great feeling when you finally complete a project, as if a boat or any hotrod is ever complete.

LakesOnly
09-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Looks mighty clean, 'comp. This August, I too had my boat running almost a year to the day it spit me out (damn those cabin cruisers in the delta). Always feels good to get a project running again
LO

DMOORE
09-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Congrats! The boat looks beautiful.
Darrell.

shaun
09-11-2006, 02:01 AM
Everything looks awsome! I want to some audio/video!! :)

Gearhead
09-11-2006, 03:42 AM
Scott,
Congrats on getting the boat to the water. I know you have to be excited!. It looks great.... gosh I did not realize it had been two years since you have been to the water... that just makes it that much sweeter to get her to this point.
I bet a little more nozzle angle would set her against the ride plate and get a little more air under the hull and loosen her up (if that is a from the bottom angle). Speed will also!
I'm taking mine up today for a custom boat cover.
Have a Good one!
Gearhead

Wicked Performance Boats
09-11-2006, 04:01 AM
SC, Great to see it done! I hope ya get some good seat time now. BL

MikeF
09-11-2006, 04:39 AM
SANO!
Definatley looks clean. Also liken the water lines to the drain plugs.....(been contemplating that myself).
Now to make some tuned headers and I think you'll be MAXed out in the hp dept. :D
Really looking forward to the weekend. :cool:

lilrick
09-11-2006, 05:36 AM
impressive.....

bp
09-11-2006, 05:43 AM
it looks great scott. look forward to seeing it this weekend. did you go to lopez?

steelcomp
09-11-2006, 05:53 AM
Thanks guys...it was definately good to be back on the water.
Steven...I'm sure I have a long way to go with the set-up, but this felt like a good starting point. Thanks for the input.
bp...Thanks. No, I've never been to Lopez, so I went to San Antonio since it's a lake I know.
This weekend should be fun. I'm looking forward to getting some numbers on this hotrod. :D

steelcomp
09-11-2006, 06:02 AM
I would also like to take a minute and sincerely thank everyone who helped me with this. I may have done all of the physical work myself, but there are a lot of people who shared a lot of good info with me that made this project possible. I haven't been doing this boating thing very long (this is actually my first boat) and I really appreciate the valuable input. Jack at MPD, CS, bp, Bear, Stephen (gearhead), Chris Straub, to name a few. There were many others...you know who you are.
Thanks again, very much.

promod
09-11-2006, 07:29 AM
if you redid your floors what did you use and how did ya do it, getting ready to do mine and just want to get the heads up

steelcomp
09-11-2006, 06:42 PM
if you redid your floors what did you use and how did ya do it, getting ready to do mine and just want to get the heads up
That was one of those jobs that half way through I was saying to myself, "why the F did I ever start this!!" :rolleyes:
I tried to get a handle on the Duratech, but couldn't get it to not go off before I was done, so I went with automotive products instead. The black on the stringers is Nason Full Thane single stage over PolyPrime (polyester primer), and the clear on the floors (and over the stringers) is another Nason product that I don't remember the name of. It was their high-end clear, and so far, is some pretty tough stuff.