PDA

View Full Version : Scoop on closed Lake Mohave area b/t Dam & Willow Beach

K9Blitz
09-10-2006, 09:32 PM
I've got an upcoming Mohave trip and want to partake in a Dam run on Monday possibly Tuesday. I remember something about the area past Willow Beach being closed to motorized boats at the beginning of the week.
Does anyone have any scoop if this is still the case, why, and if anyone has ever been stopped by the water-cops for violating the "no float zone."

Chubby4Life
09-10-2006, 09:38 PM
I've got an upcoming Mohave trip and want to partake in a Dam run on Monday possibly Tuesday. I remember something about the area past Willow Beach being closed to motorized boats at the beginning of the week.
Does anyone have any scoop if this is still the case, why, and if anyone has ever been stopped by the water-cops for violating the "no float zone."
Don't bother, it's closed above Willow Beach untill Memorial Day. It's a great ride up to Willow though.

jag2
09-10-2006, 09:40 PM
closed north of willow sunday-monday. Im not for sure, but I think its to give paddlers a nice smooth no noise day :220v:

Ultracrazy
09-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Hmmmmm.........maybe we should just bring more beer and float :boxed:

JetBoatRich
09-11-2006, 03:20 AM
They close it to boaters after Labor Day :rolleyes: open it back up after Memorial day :rolleyes:

K9Blitz
09-11-2006, 06:57 PM
I called the ranger station and they told me the area between Willow Beach and Hoover Dam is off limits to motorized boats every Sunday & Monday throughout the year.
During the summer, between Memorial Day and Labor Day, there are no restrictions on motorized boats Tuesday thru Saturday.
During Fall/Winter/Spring, between Labor Day and Memorial Day, only motorized boats 65hp and below are allowed in that area Tuesday thru Saturday.
They said it was to allow the rowing public access to the area without getting toppled by 496HO driven wake and to limit the ecological impact of the big boats.
I don't know how this is enforced or what, if any, the fine would be. Any input?

DILLIGAF
09-11-2006, 07:09 PM
I don't know how this is enforced or what, if any, the fine would be. Any input?
They chase you down and at least ticket you. I have no idea what the fine is though. Isn't that enough of a deterrent for you?

JetBoatRich
09-11-2006, 07:37 PM
You can try and out run them up river :rolleyes: they will just wait for ou to come back :cool:

Trash
09-12-2006, 08:38 AM
I believe the policy has changed somewhat over the last year or so. The signs (which used to mention the 65 hp caveat) are no longer posted. It now reads no power boats Sunday/Monday year round, and all others are allowed Tues-Sat all year. The winter season restriction was not posted as it had been previously.
I wonder if the ranger K9 talked to is correct or the signs are correct?

K9Blitz
09-12-2006, 04:45 PM
They had to put that restriction because the giant wake created by Dilligaf's tanker boat wiped out the shoreline ecosystem! If he would just stick to picking up chicks at Davis Dam....
Boatcop gave me some scoop. The restrictions are the result of a lengthy battle between powerboaters, the rowing public, and environmentalists. The HP restriction is mostly in place to let the marine life/environment/hatchery have a designated recovery period. Boatcop metioned the ticket or fine is a misdemeanor.
I cannot remember what is posted at Willow, but I'll try and put my beer down long enough to get a pic.

Huckleberry
09-12-2006, 09:20 PM
I got stopped going to the dam on a Monday earlier this year. They let me go up, and were waiting for us just north of Willow Beach when we came back down river. The female Ranger was very, very cool and let us go with a warning. At the time the signs said nothing about what used to be the typical closing from labor to Memorial. The Ranger did say it was closed on Sun-Mon so the Earth Muffins can paddle the river in peace. Every paddler we came across waved at us. (Yes, with all five fingers!!!) None appeared upset by our presence.

Wake Havasu
09-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Earth Muffins can paddle the river in peace.
LMAO!!!

DILLIGAF
09-13-2006, 05:15 AM
They had to put that restriction because the giant wake created by Dilligaf's tanker boat wiped out the shoreline ecosystem! If he would just stick to picking up chicks at Davis Dam....
Nothing like those Davis Dam women
:)

LuckyStrike
09-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Just Came back from a week on the Colorado Did the Run From Davis To Havasu Then Got a Slip @ Katrines For the rest of the week I made the first trip on a Wed. From Davis To Hoover In my 36 Concept W/Twin OBs First Time Past AZ Hot Spring Just North Of Willow Had NO Problem 10-12 foot of water Made the Second Run On Sat. The Water had Dropped Quite A bit 3-4 foot Made me a little nervous Was Not on Plane coming south. That Area is closed Mon Tues to power boaters
I understand that Mohave After Labor day was to start dropping for Army Corps Eng. Doing Work as well as Dock work @ Cottonwood And Kathrines
My Guy @ Kathrines Says It will be 60% by Nov 1st.
I celebrated a year with the new ride after Driving from PHX to miami Last year I left Phx the Day after Katrina Hit...What A Drive Normally 3 days took a week. How Ironic Seeing the new By-pass Bridge Over Hoover That another Major Catastrophie Caused...9/11