PDA

View Full Version : Who got stopped by the Leos this Summer?

Trailer Park Casanova
09-11-2006, 03:33 AM
The Tige' regatta was slammed so hard in town by the Parker Police that their's talk of moving next years to the Avi because of it.
They stopped just about everyone. Pulling family members out of their vehicles. Big scenes over nothing from the tickets issued and the tales told.
Not good, though the tales tend to be exaggerated at times.
We got stopped on Castaic last week, drifted just into the no ski zone just past the illegable buoys, the LEOs were cool. Wife had trouble getting her wakeboard back on while in the water, the wind then caught the bimini and we sailed away into the never never.
The enclosed ski area is open to the Castaic ski club only, and it's a clique of meanies that won't let any new people join.
It's appalling how poorly the lake is run.
The lifeguards are cool.
Don't have an open container or swim in Elizabeth Canyon.
They've been citing people, the LEOS walking up on foot outta the bushes.
Got stopped Friday on Puddingstone. Wife cranked the boat up to 59.6 MPH on their radar.
LEOS were cool there too. No ticket.
Nice lake on a weekday. Very well run. If you've never been there, give it a mid week try sometime. Nice beach. They visual inspect everything before launch, including the paper part of your registration.
Throw cushion, vests, circumcision, everything.
PWC's allowed only on odd number days.
On Catalina, we were moored just next to the Yaught club and several people were docking their boats next to us to go ashore and pay fines.
Fish and Game was again running a Boston Whaler with a really nice looking blond, and she was buzzing around inspecting licenses and the catch.
The LEOS will write for excessive brite lighting if under way in or near the harbor.
They said we're OK with the 15 million candlepower spots we we're using (COSTCO $29) to get the flying fish active, as long as that was all we did with them off seal rock, and the kids held them close to the water.
At nite, drift closely past the squidboats. It scares the hell outta the kids.
They're errie and haunting with their creepy lights and abandon-looking soul-less atmosphere.
Frightning and gruesome & scary to the little ones in the middle of the ocean.
And they do hook up for DUI in Catalina. See it from time to time there. Especially two Harbors. So hold that thought. We got a couple nice looking, No.Cali off duty CHP chix to join us so we had a sober driver.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812m_02.jpghttp://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f18/tpc123/th_Manson.jpg
Puddingstone with the wife on Friday. Leos stopped us, they were cool.
Any stopped by the LEOS stories?

RitcheyRch
09-11-2006, 03:58 AM
Didnt know there was a Castaic Ski Club.

Sherpa
09-11-2006, 05:56 AM
by far, on any body of water I've ever been on, the biggest cop-trap is
floating just off Lost Isle on the delta........... no doubt about it.
although, on one of our favorite higher-elevation lakes we camp at, the
local sherriff, "Otto" will approach just about every boat to see whats up.
his presence is that of an older gentlemen, checking on pfd's, checking to
make sure kids are wearing theirs.... if they are, they get a lollipop..! if not,
dad gets a ticket........
-My kids remember Otto since they were old enough to talk............
--Sherpa
TPC, your tourny boat will actually do 59mph-? wow.

HocusPocus
09-11-2006, 06:36 AM
i have never been stopped on the water, guess im lucky?

Jyruiz
09-11-2006, 06:58 AM
I have not been stoped yet, but I am ready for them.

shockwavebd
09-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Ticket at the sandbar.........no mufflers................

ratso
09-11-2006, 07:35 AM
Stopped once, about 5 years ago, no ticket issued. I'm on the water every weekend. Never been in a car accident either, driving 25 years.
...knock knock knock... now you went and did it. :idea: :D

Trailer Park Casanova
09-11-2006, 08:51 AM
...knock knock knock... now you went and did it. :idea: :D
Yea, knock on wood bro. now ya done it.

TCN
09-11-2006, 08:58 AM
We have been stopped twice and both times the PoPo were really cool and let us off with an infraction for no throwable life preserver the first time at Lake Martinez like 5 or 6 years ago and just a don't dangle any part of your body in the water while idling in the channel the second time this summer in Havasu.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-11-2006, 09:01 AM
Ticket at the sandbar.........no mufflers................
So how do you handle that?
Do you fix and get it inspected, or just pay a fine??

shockwavebd
09-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Just paid the ticket $107.00...but got stop by the harbor patrol in HB yesterday and they informed me as of next month all boats will be stop for noise violation.........so on go the mufflers... :cry:
P.S. it's not a fix it ticket

slink
09-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Just paid the ticket $107.00...but got stop by the harbor patrol in HB yesterday and they informed me as of next month all boats will be stop for noise violation.........so on go the mufflers... :cry:
Good thing they didn't check you against Meghan's law :) :)
You gonna be around this week? Lunch?

Trailer Park Casanova
09-11-2006, 09:12 AM
So waddya gonna go with for sound control?

DILLIGAF
09-11-2006, 09:14 AM
I was floating on Mohave and a Mohave Co Sheriff came up because my boat waas reported on fire. No, it was not on fire. Cop was embarassed and went on his way.
A couple of years ago one of the women on the boat was sitting up on the back while cruising slowly. Came over and talked to me but just let me know she couldn't sit up there. Probably didn't matter that she was a blonde with big breastesess :) Cop had a good attitude but it looked like his partner was stressed.
A couple of years ago, also on Mohave I was anchored in a cove and an obvious rookie came up to me and told me I could not drink while on a boat. News to me, however I explained to her that was incorrect and I was not underway. GAME TIME was with me at the time. She got all flustured and just went away. That was really, really strange.
I haven't had any problems with LEO on the lakes at all. I turn down my music when I see them coming and keep things legal and proper at all times. I am not there to get hassled and the best way to avoid this is to give them respect and not act like an idiot while being compliant with all rules/regulations.
I like most boaters have done stupid things in the past. I like to think I have been lucky and learned lessons without having to run into any major problems.

Insurance God
09-11-2006, 09:31 AM
I agree, it seems like Parker LEOS are going out of their way to write tickets etc. We were floating down the river and were approached. The reason given was that our Registration numbers didn't "clash" enough with the color of the boat. Then everyone on board had to do an FST. Luckily the last person blew a .04 and we were told that they would tow us back to our dock. We were legal but didn't want to cause trouble so we had a free tow back to the keys. The officers were actually nice (we joked etc).
The officer also told me that if you have been operating a boat within the last two hours and blow .08+ you can get a DUI.
I don't encourage drunk driving & there have been a lot of problems in Parker which is what's prompting the crack down. I heard that Parker is trying to move the party crowd up to Havasu.

shockwavebd
09-11-2006, 09:38 AM
So waddya gonna go with for sound control?
I am going to go with the gibson down pipes...........I don't do the zoo but once or twice a year maybe ...and the Harbor patrol said I would be fine as they are just trying to quite it down a bit in the harbor... :cool:

shockwavebd
09-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Good thing they didn't check you against Meghan's law :) :)
You gonna be around this week? Lunch?
Yea jeff everyday but Wednesday......come on by..........

Keith E. Sayre
09-11-2006, 09:50 AM
About 2 months ago in the channel about 10 pm on a Saturday night. One of
my bow lights was flickering. As soon as he found that I wasn't drinking he
told me to fix the light and have a nice day. Very polite and friendly.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

socalmoney
09-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Where is Jeavo? I think he got stopped on Mead recently.

RitcheyRch
09-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Havent been stopped. Knock on wood.

Boatcop
09-11-2006, 11:52 AM
I don't encourage drunk driving & there have been a lot of problems in Parker which is what's prompting the crack down. I heard that Parker is trying to move the party crowd up to Havasu.
First I've heard of anyone trying to drive the "party crowd" anywhere. As far as a "crack down", we've been operating the same way for years. OUIs are actually down from the previous 3 years. We've noticed a marked increase in designated drivers, which we appreciate.
We just got the Watercraft survey for 2006. The Parker Strip is the 3rd most used waterway in the State. With Lake Havasu being #1. Mohave #2.
When you compare the surface areas of those lakes to the Strip, you'll see that although we do have a severe congestion problem, our accident numbers are way below nearly every other major body of water in Arizona.
Lake Havasu=33 Accidents
Lake Mohave=50
Lake Pleasant=30
Parker Strip=15
Lake Mead=13
We believe that the low accident rate is a direct result of our enforcement and education philosphy.

DILLIGAF
09-11-2006, 12:38 PM
First I've heard of anyone trying to drive the "party crowd" anywhere. As far as a "crack down", we've been operating the same way for years. OUIs are actually down from the previous 3 years. We've noticed a marked increase in designated drivers, which we appreciate.
We just got the Watercraft survey for 2006. The Parker Strip is the 3rd most used waterway in the State. With Lake Havasu being #1. Mohave #2.
When you compare the surface areas of those lakes to the Strip, you'll see that although we do have a severe congestion problem, our accident numbers are way below nearly every other major body of water in Arizona.
Lake Havasu=33 Accidents
Lake Mohave=50
Lake Pleasant=30
Parker Strip=15
Lake Mead=13
We believe that the low accident rate is a direct result of our enforcement and education philosphy.
Lake Mohave 50...............What do you think that is attributed to Alan? Just curious as I did nopt expect Lake Mohave to be the highest rated....
Thanks

Trailer Park Casanova
09-11-2006, 12:52 PM
--Sherpa
TPC, your tourny boat will actually do 59mph-? wow.
Nah, we sold the Tige' last year,
Were giving Tige's new lines a year to rid of the teething pains, then we're getting another.
Bought a jet boat in the meantime.

bilgewiper
09-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Got pulled over 2 weekends ago on Folsom Lake for allowing my "inflatable to get airborne". Mine is the predecesor to the Wega Kite Tube that has gotten all the bad press. I didn't know Folsom had banned "slightly" flying objects like lakes on the Colorado river. I try to never allow it to completly leave the water. Also didn't know there is suppossed to be a emergency quick release on towed inflatables. The LEO was really nice and didn't write me up....just told me not to use it again there without a quickrelease and not let it fly or leave the water.

unleashed
09-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Wow...sounds like Lake Mohave is one dangerous place! Wasnt expecting that.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)

DILLIGAF
09-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Wow...sounds like Lake Mohave is one dangerous place! Wasnt expecting that.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)
I wonder if it is a little out of whack pertentage wise. In other words it is a much bigger body of water than Havasu.
Alan....Does Mohave include the river area in Laughlin? If it does there is the answer...

Sotally Tober
09-11-2006, 02:01 PM
I got stopped at the ramp for my STOCK Searay for being illegal. This was at Priest Lake in N. Idaho. They say that having the Captians chioce is illegal even if I never use it. They did the full check and even a db test. Closed I was way under @76db. With it open I was 96db at idle. He said I need to remove it from the boat. What am I supposed to do with the holes in the side of the boat? Never did get a ticket and he let me still on the lake. As I stop uplake there is a jet boat with over the transom headers doing circles in the middle of the lake. Made me frustrated as I got stopped.

Boatcop
09-11-2006, 02:36 PM
I wonder if it is a little out of whack pertentage wise. In other words it is a much bigger body of water than Havasu.
Alan....Does Mohave include the river area in Laughlin? If it does there is the answer...
Lake Mohave does NOT include the Bullhead/Laughlin Strip. Bullhead City PD took 21 Accident reports on that stretch.
Although Mohave and Mead are bigger lakes, they don't have the boat numbers that Havasu does.
Boat Use Days for major water bodies are as follows:
Lake Havasu 1,926,921
Lake Mohave 753,997
Parker Strip 630,427
Lake Mead 608,526
Lake Powell 557,310
Pleasant 534,347
Keep in mind that Bullhead, Lake Mead and Lake Mohave also have Nevada or National Park Officers taking accident reports which may be reported to Nevada, and not incuded in the above figures. Same for Lake Havasu and accident reports taken by California Authorities. I don't have access to the individual figures, but the total number of Accidents reported on the entire Colorado River by all Agencies (AZ, CA, & NV) were 255 total with 166 injuries and 9 fatalities.
The figures for the Parker Strip DOES include accidents report to San Bernardino County, which I have direct knowledge of.
All the numbers are from 2005.

Mardonzi
09-11-2006, 04:44 PM
I got stopped at the ramp for my STOCK Searay for being illegal. This was at Priest Lake in N. Idaho. They say that having the Captians chioce is illegal even if I never use it. They did the full check and even a db test. Closed I was way under @76db. With it open I was 96db at idle. He said I need to remove it from the boat. What am I supposed to do with the holes in the side of the boat? Never did get a ticket and he let me still on the lake. As I stop uplake there is a jet boat with over the transom headers doing circles in the middle of the lake. Made me frustrated as I got stopped.
Run a disconnect or "suicide" switch in between the captains choice and the actuator. Then placard it as disabled.

termiteguy
09-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Lake Havasu=33 Accidents
Lake Mohave=50
Lake Pleasant=30
Parker Strip=15
Lake Mead=13
what little contact i have had with leo in parker has allways been plesant we go there about every other weekend for about 3 years now and have never been pulled over. nothing to hide if they do save the heavy drinking for the shore

Kilrtoy
09-11-2006, 05:56 PM
BC, maybe you can come up to havasu and help them implement the second half of your statement, Because they are clueless as to what a benefit EDUCATION can be, all they understand is enforcement

Sotally Tober
09-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Run a disconnect or "suicide" switch in between the captains choice and the actuator. Then placard it as disabled.
I asked him if I pulled the fuse if that would work. He said no.
I read on Waynes words a while back that a guy got a ticket whil pulling his kids around on a tube at Powell. It was closed and quite. Guess its illegal there to.
I've thought about adding inline mufflers to make it legal.

DILLIGAF
09-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Lake Mohave does NOT include the Bullhead/Laughlin Strip. Bullhead City PD took 21 Accident reports on that stretch.
Although Mohave and Mead are bigger lakes, they don't have the boat numbers that Havasu does.
Boat Use Days for major water bodies are as follows:
Lake Havasu 1,926,921
Lake Mohave 753,997
Parker Strip 630,427
Lake Mead 608,526
Lake Powell 557,310
Pleasant 534,347
Keep in mind that Bullhead, Lake Mead and Lake Mohave also have Nevada or National Park Officers taking accident reports which may be reported to Nevada, and not incuded in the above figures. Same for Lake Havasu and accident reports taken by California Authorities. I don't have access to the individual figures, but the total number of Accidents reported on the entire Colorado River by all Agencies (AZ, CA, & NV) were 255 total with 166 injuries and 9 fatalities.
The figures for the Parker Strip DOES include accidents report to San Bernardino County, which I have direct knowledge of.
All the numbers are from 2005.
Mohave seems statistically to be by far the worse place to boat for me :( There are a lot of knuckleheads out there but I didn't think it was worse than Havasu.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Mohave seems statistically to be by far the worse place to boat for me :( There are a lot of knuckleheads out there but I didn't think it was worse than Havasu.
The PWC's have rule of the South end. We avoid that place.
I imagine most accidents don't get reported either.
Gotta be more than listed.

DILLIGAF
09-11-2006, 08:55 PM
The PWC's have rule of the South end. We avoid that place.
Very true statement

blown dough
09-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Which time? Too loud with out baffels, too loud with baffels, no CF's (cuz we don't have too), um I'm still thinking!!!!