PDA

View Full Version : My 9-11 story

28Prowler525
09-11-2006, 08:12 AM
The Friday before September 11th my business partner (Gary) and I flew to New York City to visit and stay with my sister and soon to be husband Doug Irgang http://www.irgang.com/., before heading to Pennsylvania for a business meeting. We spent the long weekend eating pizza, laughing and just screwing around along with taking Gary to lower Manhattan. On Sunday evening Gary and I drove a rental to Malvern PA to visit a customer with plans to return to NY Tuesday (9-11) morning and fly back home Wednesday morning. On Tuesday I woke up when I heard Gary in the shower and turned on the TV. They were showing the Tower burning and a couple minutes later the second plane slammed the second Tower. Being from the west coast and still a bit hazy from cocktails the night before, I find myself relieved that it’s only around 6:00 a.m. my time. Thank God Doug isn’t at work yet, and the Towers aren’t filled with people, I say to Gary who has just come out of the bathroom. Of course he is clear headed and tells me it’s 9:00 whatever O’clock. I immediately get that sick to your stomach feeling, and grab my phone to call my sister who is teaching in the City. Her phone just rings and rings, my Moms phone is busy. I call my Dad to see if he new what was going on and had heard from my sister. He had just turned on the TV so we decided to call each other if we got in touch with her. I called my step Dad’s cell and he picks up and tells me that my Mom is talking to my sister and that my sister got a voice mail from Doug when the first plane hit saying “don’t worry it hit the other Tower, I’m fine I’ll call you back when I can”.
I also spent a lot of time on the phone with my wife who was scared to death when the plane hit in Penn., and basically in hysterics with the possible/probable death of Doug.
Gary and I hung around the Hotel for the next few hours as I stayed in touch with my family waiting to hear the words “we heard form Doug and all is good”. Finally Gary got me in the car and we drove down toward Baltimore to get my mind on other things, which turned out to be impossible. At about 6:00 Tuesday evening we got back to the Hotel with still no word from Doug. CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!
We decided that on Wednesday morning we would drive up to Connecticut to GaryÂ’s AuntÂ’s and UncleÂ’s house and from there I would take a train into the city so I could get to my Sister. IÂ’ll never forget crossing the Tappan Zee bridge and looking back over my shoulder at the smoke covering Lower Manhattan. We got to GaryÂ’s family and I spent a restless 15-20 minutes before being taken to the train stop. I remember sitting on the train staring out the window in complete shock, and looking around at the people with me and seeing the same look on their faces. I have never felt more connected with people in my entire life. We all had something in common that day.
I pulled into Penn Station got off the train and walked outside to meet my sister, DougÂ’s brother and his wife. My sister cried on my shoulder for 10-15 minutes before we even spoke. We all had hope, but we all knew deep down inside that DougÂ’s chances were very slim. Yet none of us spoke about the possibility of him being dead. We spent the rest of Wednesday traveling from hospital to hospital from Jersey to Long Island. The hospitals had hand written lists of names of some survivors that were being faxed back and forth and posted on bullitin boards for people to look at and search for their friends / family. People were equally delirious with depression and rumors of survivors. It was very strange. We got home to DougÂ’s brothers apartment on Wed. night and he went up into the loft with his wife and wept for probably 20-30 minutes.
On Thursday morning we decided to go down as close to the site as possible to get some information and post pictures of Doug in hopes that someone would recognize him. Rumor had it that one of DougÂ’s friends even made a sandwich board with his blown up picture and walked around all day somewhere in the lower Manhattan area.
Any way my sister being the realist that she is brought DougÂ’s tooth brush with her so that we could turn it for future DNA usage. When we got down close to the site you could smell and hear things like it was the first time you were smelling or hearing anything. It was like being in a huge wake, with everyone walking around wearing blank stares on their faces. People were passing out photo copies with pictures and descriptions of their loved ones. Some were just sitting on the curbs or benches weeping and feeling lost and helpless. There were people reminding everyone to please take care of missing peoples pets who need food and water. Police cars and fire engines moving up and down the streets in what seemed like organized chaos. There must have been a million flyers posted in every open spot. We moved through lines to get and give information. And dropped DougÂ’s tooth brush into and envelope with my sisters contact information written on it.
My Mom, Dad and step Dad made it out on Saturday afternoon and I got home on Monday morning.
I guess the third time is not a charm, as Doug walked from the 104th floor in 1993 after the car bomb exploded (he still had his smoke blackend shirt that he wrapped around his head for the walk) and he was also 1 car away from Colin Ferguson on the Long Island Rail Road in 1993.
Doug was a great and giving person who donated his time and a lot of money to teach inner city kids how to swim. The last check he wrote was to Make-a-Wish foundation for $2500.00.
Sorry about the long and rambling post, but itÂ’s the first time I wrote out my experiences. I could have written 10 times as much to capture the whole week.

DILLIGAF
09-11-2006, 08:26 AM
Sorry to hear. I was watching this AM on MSNBC a "replay" of their broadcast from when it happened and I couldn't stop watching this AM either. Condolences

OnlyMoney
09-11-2006, 08:31 AM
This is a very nice and well written post...thank you for sharing your story....maybe others will add theirs to it.

Keith E. Sayre
09-11-2006, 08:51 AM
After reading that post and watching the TV all morning, my personal problems
in life seem trivial and unimportant right now. God bless you and all those that lost family and friends. God bless the rest of us to have the strength
and resolve to stay strong and alert and most of all, God bless and protect those kids all over the world that insure our freedom.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

Waldo
09-11-2006, 09:03 AM
in life seem trivial and unimportant right now. God bless you and all those that lost family and friends. God bless the rest of us to have the strength
and resolve to stay strong and alert and most of all, God bless and protect those kids all over the world that insure our freedom.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
100% Agree!!!
Sorry for your loss Prowler.
Godspeed Doug.

doesitfloat?
09-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Thank you for your story. Very moving...
...and to think that this sad story is multiplied by 2,750 families. That's a lot of pain. :frown:

BigBlockBaja
09-11-2006, 10:17 AM
6:30am today comming home from Long Island through The Bronx. They put a huge flag up on one of the stantions on the GWB..
It felt good to be in NY on a day like today.
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/7863/0911060631arq2.jpg

Riverless
09-11-2006, 10:32 AM
28Prowler525,
God Bless, Doug, he will be in my thoughts and prayers today.

Up 4 River
09-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Thank you for sharing your story. You have no reason to apologize for any rambling when discussing the events of that day and those that followed. May God be with you and your family today

ROZ
09-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Wow....
One of my ex coworker's wife lost 5 or 6 of her best friends in the first tower...
Sad stories...

MODVP22
09-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Couldn't say it any better myself.

IN2-IN2MX
09-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Thank you for posting your story. It is very touching...very sad. My heart goes out to you, your sister and the families that will miss Doug. There are no words... :cry:

28Prowler525
09-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Thanks all.
We didn't corner the market in pain that day, so please say a prayer for the thousands and thousands of people that lost friends and family 5 years ago.
It would have been easier to deal with had he been killed in a car accident or something similar, since those are the types of things your prepare yourself for, when you mature and understand how the world works.