PDA

View Full Version : tranny rebuilds

LD Mandella
09-11-2006, 08:47 AM
Well the tranny went out this last weekend, I think the new motor was a little to much for the clutches, it was an Art Carr deal originally good parts but probably not stout enough now. I am looking for shops that have built trannys for big high HP applications. My boat is heavy and max HP is 1100 any input is appreciated.
Thanks
John

lilrick
09-11-2006, 12:08 PM
where are you located? I know a few places.

LD Mandella
09-11-2006, 12:32 PM
I am in Tucson, we have some talented guys here but not really boat guys and I am convinced that the tranny load in a boat is quite different than in a car. I will travel to find the right spot, The tranny was the only thing on the whole boat that did not get gone through 100% and I do not want to do it again for a long time. All input is appreciated.
John

VDRIVERACING
09-11-2006, 12:42 PM
You might give Jerry's Transmissions in Norwalk CA a call. Jerry used to run K boats, and now works on his son's TA funny car. They built a powerglide for my rayson cruiser incorporating a Dedenbear drag racing case. I run a blown motor in ski racing and circles, and have good luck with it.
I'm not sure what HP it can handle, but I know similar trans are used on cars with far more HP than you mentioned. I do not shift it on the fly, but it nice to have the low gear for idling about, and the reverse is handy if I, uh, "misjudge" my speed approaching the trailer...

Schiada Time
09-11-2006, 12:57 PM
I used SW Trans. in Huntington Beach, CA. Steve is very knowledgeable and use to set-up T-400's for Schiada's.

SERIOUS ISSUES
09-11-2006, 01:57 PM
I've got a tranny shop here in Phx., we can do that for you if you can bring it up here.
Motra Transmissions
602/943-3820
Ask for Robert or Niki, glad to help you out!
I am in Tucson, we have some talented guys here but not really boat guys and I am convinced that the tranny load in a boat is quite different than in a car. I will travel to find the right spot, The tranny was the only thing on the whole boat that did not get gone through 100% and I do not want to do it again for a long time. All input is appreciated.
John

Rexone
09-11-2006, 04:38 PM
I've always used Art Carr with 11-1200 HP without issues. Make sure you use the high strength input shaft though. The stockers will break with that HP.
They all break eventually though. Kind of like hard drives, it's not if but when :)

LD Mandella
09-11-2006, 05:17 PM
thanks for all the input, I will follow up tomorrow. i know the thing wont last forever Mike but i dont want to do this every year. I will run at 900 HP almost always but I want the tranny built for the high setting for those special occasions and hope that improves the reliability foe the regular use.
John

Rexone
09-12-2006, 12:22 AM
John, there's lots of good tranny builders out there. On the Art Carrs I used when I was running the boat often we'd get 2-3 seasons min. out of them, some longer. I know there are several builders that build at least equal units. Just didn't want to to think the AC units can't handle the HP, they do. Good luck with whichever builder you choose.

LD Mandella
09-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Mike, thanks, I know the Art Carr stuff is good, I am not blaming them at all, my tranny was supposed to be good to 700 HP and I put a Turbo motor motor behind it in big heavy boat so I can't complain, the tranny was coming out anyhow for a gear change to close up my ratios 2nd.-3rd. I will chase down some of these recommendations and see what seems to be the best fit and go from there. We are not racing the thing but it sure is fun to stand on the throttle from about 40 mph and let it wind up and I am sure that is hard on the poor guy in the middle.
Take Care
John

HighVoltage 329
09-12-2006, 10:42 AM
My current Art Carr is very rugged including shifts on every start. I had to upgrade to what he called his monster truck type after having proplems with a weaker trans. Three years, no problems.

InKahntrol
09-12-2006, 10:49 AM
John
John,
There's only one place to go with your trans... Hughes Performance (http://www.hughesperformance.com/) . They build trannys for some of the fastest racers in the business, plus they're in Tucson. (520) 624-4441
I was having a lot of problems keeping transmissions in my 930hp cruiser, and when I finally went to Hughes they set me up. Now everything works perfect. I couldn't be happier.
-Dan

fastsanger
09-18-2006, 05:31 PM
mikes transmission in lancaster they hold records for automatic transmissions in the fastaest street cars i have a turbo 400 in my daytona 600" blown deal 1-661-723-0081 ask for mike

LD Mandella
09-19-2006, 07:50 AM
Thanks for all the input, i have picked a horse, i will let you all know how it runs.
John