PDA

View Full Version : Boat Accident

BALLSDEEP
09-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Did anyone see the boat that flipped across from The Palms on Sunday afternoon? My friends and I were leaving Steamboat Sunday afternoon around 3:30 and were the first ones to arrive. 5 people got ejected from the boat, no one was seriously injured. Not sure what size maybe a 32-36' V with twins. We rescued and rushed a lady to the shore where an ambulance was waiting she was complaining of chest pains and was having a hard time breathing. Anybody have any details what happened or how the lady is doing?

Mrs.Killer
09-11-2006, 12:43 PM
I head a little about it, 4 people were ejected. My friends were the one's who towed them in.

Kilrtoy
09-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Here it is being towed in they said it was a 38 top gun.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/36612.jpg

chub
09-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Did anyone see the boat that flipped across from The Palms on Sunday afternoon? My friends and I were leaving Steamboat Sunday afternoon around 3:30 and were the first ones to arrive. 5 people got ejected from the boat, no one was seriously injured. Not sure what size maybe a 32-36' V with twins. We rescued and rushed a lady to the shore where an ambulance was waiting she was complaining of chest pains and was having a hard time breathing. Anybody have any details what happened or how the lady is doing?
Sorry I know nothing of the incident. Cheersright to you for doin what was right!

RiverDave
09-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Wow! I'm surprised they could flip a big boat like that up on Havi?
RD

UncleLarry
09-11-2006, 01:07 PM
INJURY BOAT ACCIDENT – LAKE HAVASU CITY
Mohave County Sheriff’s Waterways deputies responded to a single boat accident in the South Basin in the area of Havasu Palms on Lake Havasu Sunday (9/10) afternoon. Approximately 4:16 p.m., deputies responded to the scene of where all 5 occupants of a 36-foot Cigarette boat were ejected. Everyone was rescued by passerby’s. The operator changed the direction of the vessel and all occupants were ejected. Lisa Baker, 40, of Nevada, was transported by River Medical to Lake Havasu Regional Medical Center where she is currently listed in good condition. The other 4 occupants did not need medical attention. Investigations had determined alcohol not to be a factor. This accident remains under investigation.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-11-2006, 01:14 PM
RD
Agreed.....

andy01
09-11-2006, 01:24 PM
RD
Why? Size doesn't matter (as Im sure you know). A 38' twin step could spin and flip in a pond if the pond is big enough and the driver turns the boat hard enough.....
Andy

Havasu47
09-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Why? Size doesn't matter (as Im sure you know). A 38' twin step could spin and flip in a pond if the pond is big enough and the driver turns the boat hard enough.....
Andy
Didn't hear anyone say it was a twin step? If it was you would really have to screw up to make it spin.... Like maybe a panic turn to avoid something???

andy01
09-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Didn't hear anyone say it was a twin step? If it was you would really have to screw up to make it spin.... Like maybe a panic turn to avoid something???
Your wrong, it dosn't take much. If it was a new 38' then I figured it was a TS 38'. If it was a straight bottom then it can still roll over. The news paper says 36' Cigarette "type" that means it could be anything, it could even be a 36' Gladiator with a side by side setup. And those roll easier then a staggered Gladiator. Who knows. It's a v-bottom, they roll over as well as cats. People drive thier boats beyond thier limits every weekend, just some get through every weekend and some end up on the end of a rope. Maybe the person got cut off and had no choice. Never the less at least they all made it out alive, you can always get another boat.
Andy

Havasu47
09-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Your wrong, it dosn't take much. If it was a new 38' then I figured it was a TS 38'. If it was a straight bottom then it can still roll over. It's a v-bottom, they roll over as well as cats. People drive thier boats beyond thier limits every weekend, just some get through every weekend and some end up on the end of a rope. Maybe the person got cut off and had no choice. Never the less at least they all made it out alive, you can always get another boat.
Andy
Sorry, not wrong. You even said why it happens yourself. "People drive their boats beyond their limits every weekend". The limits that are passed are usually the people driving, not the boats. We build, service, and test Top Guns. Straight bottoms and twin steps. An experienced driver can rail a turn in either one of those boats.
It's like cutting your finger and blaming the knife. :rolleyes:

BALLSDEEP
09-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Sorry, not wrong. You even said why it happens yourself. "People drive their boats beyond their limits every weekend". The limits that are passed are usually the people driving, not the boats. We build, service, and test Top Guns. Straight bottoms and twin steps. An experienced driver can rail a turn in either one of those boats.
In this case, from what I gatherered the person driving wasn't even the owner. He was taking the boat out for a hot lap and was planning on buying it...Might not have had much seat time with the thing.

RitcheyRch
09-11-2006, 03:10 PM
That going to make the sale interesting.
In this case, from what I gatherered the person driving wasn't even the owner. He was taking the boat out for a hot lap and was planning on buying it...Might not have had much seat time with the thing.

probablecause
09-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Probably decided he needs a bigger boat.

QuickJet
09-11-2006, 03:42 PM
That's the second (big ) boat flipping that I read about today. How are these big boats doing that? I thought the whole purpose of the big cats was stability.

Kilrtoy
09-11-2006, 03:44 PM
That's the second (big ) boat flipping that I read about today. How are these big boats doing that? I thought the whole purpose of the big cats was stability.
That is a BIG V BOTTOM, not a cat

ChumpChange
09-11-2006, 03:54 PM
The second today? What was the other? Honeyman?

ratso
09-11-2006, 03:57 PM
The second today? What was the other? Honeyman?
Honeyman didn't flip. He rolled... :rollside:

havaduner
09-11-2006, 04:04 PM
The boat doesnt do anything the driver doesnt input through the wheel, tabs, trim.
Boats dont crash/flip on thier own. Something or someone makes it happen. Too much speed, lack of expierience, or worse liquid bravery, whatever it is, it seems to be happening alot lately, and it will give our pastime a big black eye, soon.

ratso
09-11-2006, 05:19 PM
The boat doesnt do anything the driver doesnt input through the wheel, tabs, trim.
Boats dont crash/flip on thier own. Something or someone makes it happen. Too much speed, lack of expierience, or worse liquid bravery, whatever it is, it seems to be happening alot lately, and it will give our pastime a big black eye, soon.
...sometime it's mechanical failure.

margarita island
09-11-2006, 05:21 PM
this was a 36 gladiator twin step

margarita island
09-11-2006, 05:26 PM
kilr i was wondering if your freind was the guy in a party cat i think a magic

riverroyal
09-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Id like too hear some updates,hope everyone ok

Kilrtoy
09-11-2006, 05:32 PM
kilr i was wondering if your freind was the guy in a party cat i think a magic
Yes that was them

MadPoodle
09-11-2006, 06:02 PM
And therin lies the rub... This wouldnt be the first Cig to go over, certainly not going to be the last..
Not a dig at Cig here BTW, they build a heck of a boat...

Bling Bling
09-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Well said. And your last sentence, you all have no idea within 6 months what impact all these accidents are gonna do to what we used to think power boating was.
I have only seen 1 V-bottom flip in my life. It was at a kilo run up north and I belive Nigel Hook was running it. I think it was a 26 or 28 flat deck Larry Smith scarab, and belive me Nigel Hook can run a boat. You just never know. I'd have to say the Cig hooked and roled. Don't ever let a perspective buyer drive untill he's got the cash in your hands. I'm intrested in this out come.

margarita island
09-11-2006, 08:36 PM
kilr i do not know u so don't take this wrong way but your freind is either a comedian or a loser .he was great to have around in a f'd up situation very calming. he would not tie up to the flipped boat because he thought it would pull his boat down with it . he also was yelling at the people in the water to get away from the boat because if it went down it would suck them down with it. great advise they where trying to get their personal belongings out of the boat before there stuff was at the bottom of the lake .we needed the hurt girls purse for her insurance info. and the best part of all ....... he knew all this because his dad use to race boats. it was great to have him around yelling b.s. when there is people in the water crying and spitting blood . just my point of veiw

jawbreakerkid
09-12-2006, 06:44 AM
a 36' Gladiator with a side by side setup. And those roll easier then a staggered Gladiator.
I'm not sure as to how you got that information, but that is a false statement. I have plenty of experience in both and have never thought that one would roll easier than the other. I've never heard of any T/S Cigarette spinning out in a turn for any reason other than driver error or a driver pushing the boat past the limitations of the hull.
does anyone have any pictures or a description of the boat. i hope it isn't the boat that I think it is.... :frown:

Hardly Satisfied
09-12-2006, 07:23 AM
the good news was that no one died from the accident

Liquid Courage
09-12-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm not sure as to how you got that information, but that is a false statement. I have plenty of experience in both and have never thought that one would roll easier than the other. I've never heard of any T/S Cigarette spinning out in a turn for any reason other than driver error or a driver pushing the boat past the limitations of the hull.
does anyone have any pictures or a description of the boat. i hope it isn't the boat that I think it is.... :frown:
Chad, I would bet it is the boat you're thinking of. Chengs old Glad boats on Havasu A lot.

ChumpChange
09-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Are you thinking the Red striped with orange flames? That is the only Cig that I see there a lot besides H2O TOI.

Liquid Courage
09-12-2006, 09:47 AM
kilr, you have any more pics when it got back? Was it the red, orange, white Glad?
Was it this one??
http://www.scopeinfo.com/images/2004-Poker-Run/Chopper/SCOPE-2004-0509-800.jpg

h2oski2fast
09-12-2006, 10:06 AM
kilr i do not know u so don't take this wrong way but your freind is either a comedian or a loser .he was great to have around in a f'd up situation very calming. he would not tie up to the flipped boat because he thought it would pull his boat down with it . he also was yelling at the people in the water to get away from the boat because if it went down it would suck them down with it. great advise they where trying to get their personal belongings out of the boat before there stuff was at the bottom of the lake .we needed the hurt girls purse for her insurance info. and the best part of all ....... he knew all this because his dad use to race boats. it was great to have him around yelling b.s. when there is people in the water crying and spitting blood . just my point of veiw
Well, if there had been any LE around they would have said the exact same thing. They would also explain that the personal belongings and purse are not worth someone losing their life for. So, in this instance, I would say the "comedian or loser" you are referring to had more sense then yourself.

prosthogod
09-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Good thing it wasn't an HTM or there would be some serious slingin goin on.

Big Kahunaa
09-12-2006, 10:14 AM
for liquid courage
http://www.scopeinfo.com/images/2004-Poker-Run/Chopper/SCOPE-2004-0509-800.jpg

Kilrtoy
09-12-2006, 11:52 AM
I was not there so i can not defend his actions, BUT
he would not tie up to the flipped boat because he thought it would pull his boat down with it .
I agree I would not tie mine up either, that boat is already sunk, im not gonna make it two
he also was yelling at the people in the water to get away from the boat because if it went down it would suck them down with it.
Dont know if it is a wives tale, But I may have said the same thing
great advise they where trying to get their personal belongings out of the boat before there stuff was at the bottom of the lake .we needed the hurt girls purse for her insurance info. and the best part of all
You can replace a plastic medical card and the hospital can attain the information themselves. Personal belongings can be replaced people can't.
With all that said, he is 17 years old and from what you described he DID A DAMN GOOD JOB, BETTER THAN MOST PEOPLE TWICE HIS AGE.....I think he should be commended, instead of put down and called names....

RiverDave
09-12-2006, 12:13 PM
If you sink a "ship" or something with serious displacement then you can get caught up in the turmoils and get sucked down with it. Wive's tale, not necesarrily.. Just not applicable with regards to performance boats.
I don't know if I'd hook up to a 38 Cig If I was on scene with my old 22.. That's a heavy damn boat.. Granted it weighs alot less mostly submerged in water now, but still.. I'm not sure if I'd have a rope strong enough to pull it on board to begin with, and I'd also be a little concerned about ripping the cleats (or breaking a rope and having to deal with the consequences of that, if it went badly) out of the back of the boat.. If all that's not enough god forbid you tried to do the guy a favor and end up causing a little more damage by dragging it across something on the bottom while getting it up, and or too where your going, your liable for it if the guy wanted to be a prick..
Tough call for sure.. Ultimately though I probably would've atleast tried, becuase why not? Life's an adventure right? If it's going all wrong cut the rope.
RD

h2oski2fast
09-12-2006, 12:26 PM
If you sink a "ship" or something with serious displacement then you can get caught up in the turmoils and get sucked down with it. Wive's tale, not necesarrily.. Just not applicable with regards to performance boats.
I don't know if I'd hook up to a 38 Cig If I was on scene with my old 22.. That's a heavy damn boat.. Granted it weighs alot less mostly submerged in water now, but still.. I'm not sure if I'd have a rope strong enough to pull it on board to begin with, and I'd also be a little concerned about ripping the cleats (or breaking a rope and having to deal with the consequences of that, if it went badly) out of the back of the boat.. If all that's not enough god forbid you tried to do the guy a favor and end up causing a little more damage by dragging it across something on the bottom while getting it up, and or too where your going, your liable for it if the guy wanted to be a prick..
Tough call for sure.. Ultimately though I probably would've atleast tried, becuase why not? Life's an adventure right? If it's going all wrong cut the rope.
RD
What's with all your "PC" bs now a days, RD? :) :) :)

Biglue
09-12-2006, 12:27 PM
RD
It would take a real prick to try and nail you for damages to his boat if you dragged it across something while helping him out. If I were in that situation where I had to help them out, I'd feel exactly the way you do. I would probably keep a knife handy, because if his boat started going down there is no way to untie them with all that weight at the other end of the rope.
Just out of curiousity. Should the aiding vessel sink while helping another vessel such as this instance, I wonder what the helping boat's insurance would have to say about it. I wonder if they would weasel their way out of that by saying the people in need of help sank your boat. Anyone have an answer to that?

ChumpChange
09-12-2006, 12:32 PM
It would take a real prick to try and nail you for damages to his boat if you dragged it across something while helping him out. If I were in that situation where I had to help them out, I'd feel exactly the way you do. I would probably keep a knife handy, because if his boat started going down there is no way to untie them with all that weight at the other end of the rope.
Let's just say you ended up cutting that rope....what would happen then? Could the boat owner then sue your for sinking their boat? Technically, it was afloat when you tied on and when you towed it, it made the problem worse.......so on and so on. Although it would take a "real prick", unfortunately, there are too many "real pricks" out there these days.

Biglue
09-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Let's just say you ended up cutting that rope....what would happen then? Could the boat owner then sue your for sinking their boat? Technically, it was afloat when you tied on and when you towed it, it made the problem worse.......so on and so on. Although it would take a "real prick", unfortunately, there are too many "real pricks" out there these days.
I see your reasoning. I hope to god I'm never in that predicament but should it happen. I would never repay someone with a lawsuit if my boat sank. It's hard for me to justify suing someone after they pulled me and my family from the water potentially saving our lives. I only hope most people would feel the same way. I mean if you think about it, 2 boats going down only put more people in danger.

LHC30Victory
09-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Ahhh, where is (a) BoatCop when you need him? :argue: :) :)

Liquid Courage
09-12-2006, 01:00 PM
It's all cival. You can be sued in cival court for pretty much anything. I know Ca. has a good samaritan law though that covers people trying to help. Doesn't mean you wont get sued civally though.

Scream
09-12-2006, 01:07 PM
So, getting back the real story...how's the young lady that went to the hospital?

Danhercules
09-12-2006, 01:53 PM
RD
And I though only potato chip boats were dangerous over 60MPH!!

Kilrtoy
09-12-2006, 02:10 PM
And I though only potato chip boats were dangerous over 60MPH!!
That and 36 skaters in a small pond at 30MPH

jawbreakerkid
09-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Chad, I would bet it is the boat you're thinking of. Chengs old Glad boats on Havasu A lot.
Yep, Rod Brost is the owner of Jeffrey's old boat. I sure hope it wasn't it, however, I don't know of too many other Gladiators out there. :frown:
I'm glad that no one was killed.....very lucky!

Liquid Courage
09-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Yep, Rod Brost is the owner of Jeffrey's old boat. I sure hope it wasn't it, however, I don't know of too many other Gladiators out there. :frown:
Yep. And hey, dry the boat out, soak the motors in diesel, new interior and call it a day. Thing will be back on the water in no time. You know all about owning rolled boats! :wink: :wink:

kingLHC
09-12-2006, 08:13 PM
They were doing hot laps, they passed us heading toward Copper Canyon, then turned and passed us again. BTW, it was a nearly dead calm day with light boat traffic.
See you this weekend???

CornWater
09-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Dam.. same Rod from Tahoe, used to have a 38???
:frown:

kingLHC
09-12-2006, 08:35 PM
kilr i do not know u so don't take this wrong way ..
. he would not tie up to the flipped boat because he thought it would pull his boat down with it .
And now we know where you got your nickname. :p

CornWater
09-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Is this the boat???
http://scopeinfo.com/images/2002-Other-Trips/DSC01767.jpg

3 daytona`s
09-12-2006, 08:45 PM
And now we know where you got your nickname. :p
You`re dealing with the post king here ahd does not take criticism well

H20 Toie
09-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Is this the boat???
no

H20 Toie
09-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Dam.. same Rod from Tahoe, used to have a 38???
:frown:
yep thats him, real nice guy

jawbreakerkid
09-13-2006, 05:34 AM
Is this the boat???
No, that is my old Top Gun. It is still here in the Midwest.
Yes, Rod used to have an older 38 Top Gun with purple graphics. The Gladiator we are referring to is the one below that Rod Brost purchased from Jeffrey Cheng. No one can seem to clarify if that was in fact the boat involved in the accident.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2882havasu051306-019Img_0053.jpg

BALLSDEEP
09-13-2006, 07:08 AM
They were doing hot laps, they passed us heading toward Copper Canyon, then turned and passed us again. BTW, it was a nearly dead calm day with light boat traffic.
See you this weekend???
That's what was unusual to us, it was dead calm and barely anyone on the water....
Yes, Margarita Island and myself will be back out this weekend. Do we know you?