PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Polaris Ranger XP vs Rhino 660

skisupreme
09-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Anyone have thoughts on the Polaris Ranger XP vs Rhino 660. Looking at both but want to get some opinions of people that own or have been in both.

Cat & Mice
09-11-2006, 10:15 AM
You should post this in Cats, Tunnels, & Rhino's! :)
I like the Ranger becasue you can sit 3 wide and it is much more stable then the Rhino. That being said there are a ton of great aftermarket parts for the Rhino. Plus I think the Rhino looks way better.
I have a famliy of 5 so I would buy the Ranger if I was buying one now.
Just my .02
Mike

socalmoney
09-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Although I don't own a Rhino "YET" this page on Yamaha talks about the difference between the Ranger and Rhino
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/products/modelhead2head/487/0/head2head.aspx
Free DVD offer here
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/feedback/rhino_dvdoffer_06.aspx?site=outdoorsHome

Cole Trickle
09-11-2006, 10:40 AM
I have a Rhino and really like it.
With that being said I had a chance to drive WMC's Ranger over the Labor Day weekend and liked alot of things about it.
The Ranger feels alot better when you get on the gas and I would attribute that to the EFI. I also like how stable the Ranger feels due to how wide it is.
It feels a little more trucky compared to the Rhino and I was imnpressed with how stout the cage was.Also as mentioned above the 3 person seating capacity was nice.
I think the Rhino is faster on the top end.At least mine feels alot pepier than the Ranger after about 15 mph. I also like the way the Rhino handles and turns.I think the Rhino feels more like a sports car and the ranger feels like a work horse.
If I was just buying something to cruise on my property or to load 3 people and cruise at the river the Ranger would be hard to beat.
I put a harness bar and 5 points in my rhino and flipped the stock wheels around so it feels much sturdier than stock and I would much rather drive my Rhino hard through the dunes than a Ranger.
Rhino looks way better;)

Trailer Park Casanova
09-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Polaris has a long track record of when they dis-continue a model, they dis-continue parts availability too.
Their dealers come and go as well.
About 6 years ago they had no dealers in Calif because the dealers all quit in dispute of Polaris factory support, a problem that still hasn't been resolved.
It's a living paycheck to paycheck company.
You can buy any part for any Yamaha ever made. Dealers galore, even a waiting list for more dealers.
Just my 2 cents.

Nordic35Flame
09-11-2006, 10:54 AM
When you flipped your stock wheels did you have to turn the tires around also, aren't the directional? also did you do it front and rear?

Cole Trickle
09-11-2006, 10:58 AM
When you flipped your stock wheels did you have to turn the tires around also, aren't the directional? also did you do it front and rear?
Front and rear. By flipping them and changing sides the tires go the right direction.
You can only do this with the steelies.The SE wheels won't work.

Nordic35Flame
09-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Sweet, thanks I have the steel wheels i am going to flip them.

Cole Trickle
09-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Sweet, thanks I have the steel wheels i am going to flip them.
No prob. :)
The only thing you might consider if running hard through rocks is that the front brakes will be slightly exposed due to the rim swap. Not a big deal for me but when I run through creek beds or branches I go slower to not damage them.

RiverRatMike
09-11-2006, 11:54 AM
I just picked up a new 2006 Yamaha SE Rhino and I totally love it. I couldn't believe how smooth it drove over rocks and ruff terrain. Already have 100 miles on it, and I can even fit it into the bed of my f-250. I don't think you could do that with a Ranger. Get the Rhino and you won't be disappointed! Just my .02

78CoLe
09-11-2006, 01:08 PM
i got a ranger its faster than my buddy rhino with the carb and muffler kit mine runs 46.9 mph gps with 2 big guys and a big guy cooler rhino 42 mph if lucky on a down hill plus the rhino built like a uni body car were the ranger is is built off a 2 by 3 frame plus stock the ranger has more wheel travel by 2inches in the front and almost 2.5 in the rear plus the front and rear diff are made by dane on the ranger comapared to nippin denso with the yamaha my opinion go to a dealer and demo both i was able too here in lake havasu az by walts(rhino) and arizon west(ranger) my .02

Cole Trickle
09-11-2006, 01:32 PM
i got a ranger its faster than my buddy rhino with the carb and muffler kit mine runs 46.9 mph gps with 2 big guys and a big guy cooler rhino 42 mph if lucky on a down hill plus the rhino built like a uni body car were the ranger is is built off a 2 by 3 frame plus stock the ranger has more wheel travel by 2inches in the front and almost 2.5 in the rear plus the front and rear diff are made by dane on the ranger comapared to nippin denso with the yamaha my opinion go to a dealer and demo both i was able too here in lake havasu az by walts(rhino) and arizon west(ranger) my .02
Your buddy needs to adjust the jetting on his Rhino or swap back to 25" tires. :)
My Rhino ran 42+ MPH in the sand with the tires at 5psi.(Full cooler,2 people,1 dog and a CDI box)
I have not GPSed it on the street but I have run my buddys who pulled 50+ on the street going down hill and we ran neck and neck.

rivercrazy
09-11-2006, 02:19 PM
The Rhino has a full tubular frame not a uni-body. My Rhino runs 52mph stock on flat ground with only a CDI change. I've been in a ranger and a rhino. The rhino rides WAY better stock.

Nordic35Flame
09-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Any CDI Recommendations. There are so many to choose from, and I have heard that alot of them are just Grizzley 660 boxes, and those can't run the dash lights.

rivercrazy
09-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Any CDI Recommendations. There are so many to choose from, and I have heard that alot of them are just Grizzley 660 boxes, and those can't run the dash lights.
I have the one from Black Rhino Performance. I have the digi dash and it all works! It kicks up the rev limiter so you don't hit the 40-42mph wall.
www.blackrhinoperformance.com

Wmc
09-11-2006, 04:09 PM
I think they both are very close. It's going to come down to who has the bigger balls just my 2 cents :crossx:

Cole Trickle
09-11-2006, 04:20 PM
I think they both are very close. It's going to come down to who has the bigger balls just my 2 cents :crossx:
R :crossx: :p :cry: emind me not to race your crazy ass!!!

Wmc
09-11-2006, 04:23 PM
shouldn't you be sitting in traffic :argue:

shadow
09-11-2006, 04:33 PM
I don't know about the Rangers,But i DO know my Rhino can Fly! :) :eek:

CornWater
09-11-2006, 05:22 PM
I don't know about the Rangers,But i DO know my Rhino can Fly! :) :eek:
pipe down there buddy....
:)

riverroyal
09-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Anyone have thoughts on the Polaris Ranger XP vs Rhino 660. Looking at both but want to get some opinions of people that own or have been in both.
buys tobteks,it crazy cheap for whats in it........

Burley1
09-11-2006, 05:26 PM
Remember opinions are like a**holes
But I had a rhino and it was really cool, that being said the rangers got a bad case of the uglys

hot_diggity_dog
09-12-2006, 01:42 PM
I kinda like the look of the Rhino better!
And with 60+ MPH it kinda scoots down the road.
http://www.albaaction.com/motors/rhino/images/evans-poster.jpg
http://www.albaaction.com/motors/rhino/images/06evansdesert.jpg
HDD :cool:

78CoLe
09-13-2006, 08:59 PM
rhino already seeing clutch and front diff issues this is from montclair themself fated trus speed rhino i seen was at the fools poker run ar the begining april it ran 51 gps with the big bore kit pipe carb cdi custom intake and by the way it only made 100 miles of abuse before it broke that was with 2 fuel stops i still had 1/2 with ahrd running then towed him in he said he had some were between 20 -25,000 in his rhino but it sounded sweet rode even better and still fit in the ranger bed

Ultrafied
09-13-2006, 09:47 PM
The Ranger has been around a lot longer then the Rhino. Originally just thought of as a farm vehicle, that is where its roots are. If you look at the numbers between the Ranger and Rhino (stock), the Ranger beats the Rhino in almost every category, including turning radius and especially in towing.
Equipment wise, what turned me off the most is that the engine and tranny share the same case on the Rhino, as well as having a bad reputation to roll (hence the most important Rhino accessory are the leg savers).
All that being said, the Rhino has better appeal in the looks department. Yamaha has done an awesome job of aftermarket parts. With the Rhino, you will have access to a much larger network of dealers for any issues, although most major cities in Cali have a Polaris dealer close by.
The Rhino costs less then the Ranger (top model comparison). My saying is - if you are just going to use it for the weekend toy, the Rhino is a better choice. Costs less, parts and dealers are easier to find when you break. If you want a combination toy and work horse, the Ranger is a better choice. Costs more, but better "all around" and built a little tougher.
Of course, all this is just my opinion. Yes .... I own a Ranger (and love it!). :D

02HoWaRd26
09-13-2006, 09:50 PM
I did the FooLs poker run in my rhino We averaged 43mph and mine topped out at 63mph on flat trails on GPS but mine is not the same no more it is a bit heavier and runs out at 57 now
beforehttp://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1214806rhino04_004-med.jpg
and NOW!!!http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/12148trino_008.jpg

OGShocker
09-13-2006, 09:52 PM
I own both. I love my Ranger for working on the "farm", but for fun.... it is ALL about the Rhino..

Ultrafied
09-13-2006, 09:54 PM
I own both. I love my Ranger for working on the "farm", but for fun.... it is ALL about the Rhino..
LOL .... you crack me up, but well said.

djunkie
09-14-2006, 01:42 AM
rhino already seeing clutch and front diff issues this is from montclair themself fated trus speed rhino i seen was at the fools poker run ar the begining april it ran 51 gps with the big bore kit pipe carb cdi custom intake and by the way it only made 100 miles of abuse before it broke that was with 2 fuel stops i still had 1/2 with ahrd running then towed him in he said he had some were between 20 -25,000 in his rhino but it sounded sweet rode even better and still fit in the ranger bed
I read that 3 times and still don't understand it. :rolleyes:

djunkie
09-14-2006, 01:43 AM
Go sit in both of these things. I went to a Yamaha dealer by me that had both in stock. Sat in the Rhino and it felt comfortable and had a sporty feel to it. Sat in the ranger and it felt like I was sitting in a school bus.

Charley
09-14-2006, 03:49 AM
Sat in the ranger and it felt like I was sitting in a school bus.
paint that sucker yellow and it might just feel like the old days :D

RitcheyRch
09-14-2006, 04:20 AM
As others have said, might be easier to get parts for the Rhino.

code8
09-14-2006, 12:13 PM
can a rhino tow a small boat in and out of the launch ramp. thinking about getting one and we have a 21' jet boat. seems a little light and small for even 3000 pounds.

djunkie
09-14-2006, 12:23 PM
paint that sucker yellow and it might just feel like the old days :D
Well its short and I'd have to put my helmet on, but ya it would be just like it. :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

79Challenger
09-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Arctic cat has a nice looking utility vehicle. I have not heard much about it. Similar looking to the Rhino, but a little nicer looking I think.
http://www.arcticcat.com/atv/vehicle.asp?id=799

LuckyStrike
09-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Ive Got Two Rangers LOVE THEM My Neighbor had a Rhino, Blew Up Now take your pick

SJP
09-14-2006, 12:40 PM
can a rhino tow a small boat in and out of the launch ramp. thinking about getting one and we have a 21' jet boat. seems a little light and small for even 3000 pounds.
Rhino towing capacity is 1200 lbs

code8
09-14-2006, 12:50 PM
i've read that the rhino can tow 1200. I've also read on ***boat about rhino towing boats around the river. So, since it was on ***boat, IT MUST BE TRUE :rollside:
Thanks for the info.

78CoLe
09-14-2006, 01:15 PM
i agree my ranger is ugly rhino has way more after markets readly avalible were there are some for the ranger just harder to find iv got 190 hrs on my ranger no problems except one belt but warrenty fixed that my buddy had clutch issues after running on long runs and broke off a front a arm yesterday trying to stay with me in the rain walts is giving shit but hank at john burr said if he wanted to bring it his way he could prob get it warrentied

Tunnel Vision
09-14-2006, 01:34 PM
It will, in stock form out run any other side x side out there! With a few simple mod's it will run in 60's!
I put a pipe, carb & CDI on mine with 27" ITP mud lites (9 psi) and it will run 61 mph.
12" ground clearance and 10" wheel travel. Much better than the Rhino or Ranger and the Ranger runs about 25-30 mph stock.
My two buddys both have 06 Rhino SE's and they will trade me any day!
my.02
TV