PDA

View Full Version : Havasu Snowbird Rental Question

Havasu1986
09-11-2006, 10:47 AM
For the past 20 years I have rented my house to snowbirds using McCulloch Realty. Now that Coldwell took over it has been a nitemare. Who do you use or do you rent it by yourself and save the commission. I have had the same snowbird for the last 6 years. He's stays 6 months.

MayDaze
09-11-2006, 11:04 AM
For the past 20 years I have rented my house to snowbirds using McCulloch Realty. Now that Coldwell took over it has been a nitemare. Who do you use or do you rent it by yourself and save the commission. I have had the same snowbird for the last 6 years. He's stays 6 months.
I've had the same snowbirds for 10+ and I deal directly with them.... 6months also...

SummitKarl
09-11-2006, 11:18 AM
I think the guy that use to do it for them is gone now...think his name was BOB?
is there any conflict with your contract to rent out to the same person?
if you know who your renting it to and are comfortable with them,,, do it direct and save the typ. 10% charge

Havasu1986
09-11-2006, 11:28 AM
I think the guy that use to do it for them is gone now...think his name was BOB?
is there any conflict with your contract to rent out to the same person?
if you know who your renting it to and are comfortable with them,,, do it direct and save the typ. 10% charge
Fred was our contact. Checking our contract and there charging 12% now.

djunkie
09-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Yup same problem here. They were great when it was McCulloch. Now they are acting wierd. They told us a few months ago that we should be getting more money from our snowbirds. So last month we told them to raise the rent and they did a back peddle on us. They said they were afraid the renters wouldn't pay it. So I told them if they won't pay it then oh well. I guess I'll just have to use it this winter. So far the renters are still coming. Oh and they raised there comission too. :rolleyes:

Havasu1986
09-11-2006, 11:46 AM
We got a call today from our renter saying they raised the rent $125.00 without even asking us. He said he can't afford it. Looking for the contract today.

Havasu Cig
09-11-2006, 11:54 AM
We use Selman and are locked in at 10%, but have heard thet have raised there rates to either 12% or 15% for new clients. As far as rates, we have only raised our's 50 bucks over the past 7 years. Selman tried to raise it 100 bucks for houses in either central, or north / central Havasu, but the snowbirds freaked out. I don't think they are taking into account the price of housing out there now.
We get between 4-6 months for the snow birds, and then 2 weeks for the jet ski world finals.

TCN
09-11-2006, 12:09 PM
Bobby, we do it ourselves and have had NO problems. We are renting to the same people as last year and they are really good. Good luck. Nick

Outnumbered
09-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Bobby, we do it ourselves and have had NO problems. We are renting to the same people as last year and they are really good. Good luck. Nick
Nick, is your house available in two weeks or is it rented for the winter? I need a house for a family trip for a weekend.
Thanks,
John

Havasu1986
09-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Thanks Nick. Just need to find out if I'm under contract?

prosthogod
09-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Thinking of renting out, what can I get for a 1 yr old 1700sqft 3brm 2 bath, boat garage?

locogringo
09-11-2006, 12:26 PM
When McCullouch Realty Rentals (or whatever they were called) was run by Jeanette, they always managed to get us 4-6 months rentals from the snowbirds.
Being that last year they merged into their own company (Jeanette that is) which is now Havasu Vac. Rentals, we still have had no probs (for the most part) and last winter it was rented out for 6 months a well.
Hope this helps some.

Havasu1986
09-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Thinking of renting out, what can I get for a 1 yr old 1700sqft 3brm 2 bath, boat garage?
We have the same size house built in 2003. We get $950.00. But thats for 6 months. You can get more money but less months. Since we go to Mammoth and other places during the winter, we like having the house occupied for the winter.

djunkie
09-11-2006, 12:36 PM
We have the same size house built in 2003. We get $950.00. But thats for 6 months. You can get more money but less months. Since we go to Mammoth and other places during the winter, we like having the house occupied for the winter.
We get almost $1300 for ours. 4 months. Thats all I want to rent it cause I like to use it.

lalhc
09-11-2006, 12:38 PM
We use Lake Havasu Vacation Rentals. They charge a 15% commission, but their clients do pay a premium for their properties. They charge way more than what I would be able to get on my own plus I don't have to worry about anything like answering calls about the remotes, AC or Heater. They provide all that customer service plus more. They even have weekly mixers for their clients. Their # is 800-279-4712. Ask for Jeannette or Cheryl.

Havasu1986
09-11-2006, 12:40 PM
When McCullouch Realty Rentals (or whatever they were called) was run by Jeanette, they always managed to get us 4-6 months rentals from the snowbirds.
Being that last year they merged into their own company (Jeanette that is) which is now Havasu Vac. Rentals, we still have had no probs (for the most part) and last winter it was rented out for 6 months a well.
Hope this helps some.
I think I met her at the Pomona boat show at her booth. I was asking her about weekend rentals. She said summer renters didn't like to stay that high in the town (above high school) and she wasn't taking on any more summer houses. I will call her about snowbirds though.

Havasu1986
09-11-2006, 06:54 PM
We use Lake Havasu Vacation Rentals. They charge a 15% commission, but their clients do pay a premium for their properties. They charge way more than what I would be able to get on my own plus I don't have to worry about anything like answering calls about the remotes, AC or Heater. They provide all that customer service plus more. They even have weekly mixers for their clients. Their # is 800-279-4712. Ask for Jeannette or Cheryl.
I will give them a call in the morning. Thanks

Chipster27
09-11-2006, 08:42 PM
....She said summer renters didn't like to stay that high in the town (above high school)....
Really? If I can sell one of my houses here I'm looking to buy a place in Havasu. We found a place up the hill but are a little worried about it being further from town. It seems to me that you can be almost anywhere in Havasu within 10 minutes so I'm not sure I should be concerned about it, but if there is a concern about distance I want to make sure where ever I buy is desirable.

locogringo
09-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Really? If I can sell one of my houses here I'm looking to buy a place in Havasu. We found a place up the hill but are a little worried about it being further from town. It seems to me that you can be almost anywhere in Havasu within 10 minutes so I'm not sure I should be concerned about it, but if there is a concern about distance I want to make sure where ever I buy is desirable.
Going from the Wal-Mart (on Kiowa) if you go all the way up to the top of Kiowa, that is where our house is. It's only like 4-5 miles max and only takes about 8 minutes to get to Windsor from the house. Being that we are at the top, I don't think it has really affected our rentals.

Havasu1986
09-12-2006, 07:46 AM
You should check with the rental places 1st. Snowbirds usually like to be close to grocery stores and medical offices. Summer people like to be near launch ramps, as of now the south side doesn't have any. On the north side there are some streets like Kiowa, Industrial and Palo Verde where its a straight shot to Windsor. But where I'm at above the High School I many turns and stop signs. My .02

Sun burners
09-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Low monthly rent, Has worked out for me!

UpRiver
09-12-2006, 08:15 AM
I use Havasu Realty for my rentals. The agents name is Judy 928-486-5881 she handles all of their rentals. I pay 10%

SummerBreeze
09-12-2006, 08:40 AM
I have used Lake Havasu Vacation Rentals. $1450.00 per month 1600 sq ft place with boat deep garage.
I picked the location up Kiowa a little out of town because it's more peaceful and you can't hear the boats on the lake. About 5 mins. from the Winsor ramp
Sure it would be nice to have a place on the Lake with views but the noise is a factor to me

Chipster27
09-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Just for grins, and based on the collective experience of everyone here, what do you think the rental market is for this:
New home
1900 Sq Ft 3 bedrooms
Upgraded ammenities, tile floors, granite counters, premium fixtures, etc...
2 car garage
1 RV garage 18 feet wide by 80 feet deep with a 13 foot door- friggin' HUGE!
My anticipated market is the snowbird with an RV (diesel pusher) that wants to park it in the garage and they may have 1-2 cars. Maybe even a boat. With an 80 foot garage they can park a 40 ft RV and a 30 foot boat with room to spare. This also leaves them 2 "regular" garage spots for personal cars.
Based on your experience, does this market exist? Retiree, nice stuff, wants to live in an upgraded home and keep their RV/toys protected from the elements?
Thanks

Havasu1986
09-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Just for grins, and based on the collective experience of everyone here, what do you think the rental market is for this:
New home
1900 Sq Ft 3 bedrooms
2 car garage
My anticipated market is the snowbird with an RV (diesel pusher) that wants to park it in the garage and they may have 1-2 cars. Maybe even a boat. With an 80 foot garage they can park a 40 ft RV and a 30 foot boat with room to spare. This also leaves them 2 "regular" garage spots for personal cars.
Based on your experience, does this market exist? Retiree, nice stuff, wants to live in an upgraded home and keep their RV/toys protected from the elements?
Thanks
All the snowbirds I have rented to only have 1 car, no boat or motor home. If a snowbird has a motor home, there staying at the RV parks. But you might find that 1 renter.

Bling Bling
09-12-2006, 03:59 PM
New home
1900 Sq Ft 3 bedrooms
2 car garage
Thanks
Talk to Jenette at Lake Havasu vacation rentals. I've been renting from her for years, and now she runs my new house in Havasau. I've got 3800 sq of living and 2200 of garage. She gets 800 a night for something like this, and maybe 3000 a month to Snow birds. This is way key, she's smoking hot for a Grandma. :D

Chipster27
09-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Ironically I ran in to a guy who is dating her. He's a contractor and I guess the 2 of them have worked together. He says she's "da bomb" when it comes to vacation rentals. Worth the $$$
Talk to Jenette at Lake Havasu vacation rentals. ...

Bling Bling
09-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Ironically I ran in to a guy who is dating her. He's a contractor and I guess the 2 of them have worked together. He says she's "da bomb" when it comes to vacation rentals. Worth the $$$
That's my builder, small world. She does alot of rentals in Nautical estates. One night I hear this camotion. I look out and a couple of guys were fighting in one of her condos. Within 5 minutes Jannette was over there with 3 squad cars. She's on it, and man was she pissed. They broke a table, and I saw both involved in the fight in the sqad car before it was over. Good luck

Havasu Cig
09-13-2006, 07:20 AM
We get $1250.00 a month for long term renters (snow birds), and about the same for two weeks for the jet ski world finals. House is about the same size as yours on a big flat corner lot with a lake view.
Our house is located about 1 mile up from Windsor and according to Selman this is the most asked for location with the renters (anything central or north/central not to far up the hill). The snow birds want to be close to the center of town (bridge, shops etc...) and the jet ski people want to be close to the ramp. We also have a big flat lot (enough for probably 5 boats on the property) and a pool. The snow birds also like houses with pools according to the rental company.

SJP
09-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Does anybody rent their home out and close off the garage? I am throwing around the idea but do not want to move all the stored toys/tools etc out. Obviously there are considerations for fire codes and access to water heater etc in case of emergency. Any thoughts?

lalhc
09-13-2006, 09:56 AM
I have the same specs as your house and Havasu Vacation Rentals gets $1600 a month for me.