PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to lake Powell lately?

ahsumtoy
09-11-2006, 12:10 PM
We are going to Lake Powell for the week, next week. We are leaving from Havasu and driving through Flagstaff. Anybody been to Powell lately, and if so anything I need to know? Its been three years sense we were there and I understand the water is way down? Any problems at the ramp? Thanks......

OnlyMoney
09-11-2006, 12:17 PM
We go every year and just got back a week ago for the second time this season. Right at the entrance to Padre Bay....stay WAY left of the island and hug the beach side or go right of the island. There's another huge rock/island about 18" underwater, a helicopter even landed on it. Saw a houseboat have to get pulled off of it and it took a while. That's the only major thing.

Not So Fast
09-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Sad news is an article I just read somewhere says that the run-in to Powell this year will be 67% of normal. And they predict record draw-down because of downstream demand. DO YOU THINK WE ARE USING UP THE WATER because of overpopulation; like the proposed 150,000 homes in No.Mohave county and the sprawling Vegas , and Phoenix and LA and on and on. We just have to remember this is a DESERT sooner or later. IMO :( NSF

Second "PLACE"
09-11-2006, 01:05 PM
I was on Powell August 14-18. No major issues, other than the water being lower than the map shows..........Islands on the map are now peninsulas, and therefore become more difficult to navigate. Had a great time, and weather was bitchen. BTW, if possible do make a trip to Rainbow Bridge. Worth the 1.5 mile walk from the dock.

AirtimeLavey
09-11-2006, 01:28 PM
If you don't have one, get a GPS. Went to Powell for the first time in early Aug. Thanks to GPS, I never broke out the paper maps, and stayed on plane getting everywhere we wanted to go. Best $ I ever spent. I bought a combo Handheld, Uniden Mystic. VHF, weather, mapping GPS. Also, launched at Antelope Point instead of Wahweap. Only way to go. Have fun. We might just make that an annual from now on. :cool:

DesertGirl
09-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Just got back from Powell 9/5. Absolutely gorgeous up there! Water is a little low, but there are som nice sandy beaches still.
Air temp was about 90+, at night it was about 70, and water tmp was 79.
have a great time!

Sotally Tober
09-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Been there every year for as long as I can remember. Water level is the same as 3 years ago. Just pay close attention for unmarked hazards. They are not always marked with bouys. I will be there also in a week. Getting there actually a week today. What kind of boat will you be in. Also, Antelope is the best launch right now with the water down, as you are closer to uplake.

DILLIGAF
09-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Sad news is an article I just read somewhere says that the run-in to Powell this year will be 67% of normal. And they predict record draw-down because of downstream demand. DO YOU THINK WE ARE USING UP THE WATER because of overpopulation; like the proposed 150,000 homes in No.Mohave county and the sprawling Vegas , and Phoenix and LA and on and on. We just have to remember this is a DESERT sooner or later. IMO :( NSF
Before I upgraded my place in BH I was thinking of going up somewhere around Lake Powell. This was one of the reasons I did not do it. It kind of freaked me out thinking about the water level continuing to drop. It is all about consumption and it is only going to grow which in turn will continue to lower the levels.
Sad

Sleek-Jet
09-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Once the drought breaks... and it will end at some point... the lake will refill again... if it's allowed to (unless the enviro nazi's get some sort of BS law passed not allowing the lake to refill... :rolleyes: )
In the mean time, it would be nice to see people conserving a little more water here and there.

AzLakeLizard
09-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Before I upgraded my place in BH I was thinking of going up somewhere around Lake Powell. This was one of the reasons I did not do it. It kind of freaked me out thinking about the water level continuing to drop. It is all about consumption and it is only going to grow which in turn will continue to lower the levels.
Sad
We live here and LOVE IT!... keep on doing the rain and snow dances for the mountains... lol :p
and we put in at Wahweap.. no issues with the ramps..

Sotally Tober
09-11-2006, 02:36 PM
The 67% number was just for April through this last June. The drought is what is drawing it down. The inflows for the last 6-7 years have been way down. I do not believe they are sending more out. Here is a link Water Levels (http://lakepowell.water-data.com/WaterDB/LP_WaterDB.php)

DesertGirl
09-11-2006, 02:49 PM
We launced at Wahweap also, no issues at all, and plenty of room, nice wide ramp.

Tremor Therapy
09-11-2006, 03:53 PM
We went out in mid July, and had no issues as long as we stayed within the marked channels. We got outside the marked water ways 1 time, and it took out 1 outdrive, and tore up 4 props! :mad:
The water level is low, and if you can launch from Antelope do it, unless you like the potential washing machine action from Wahweep. It was a great time, and I would not hesitate to go again.....unfortunately that won't be until next year! :cry:

Misogynist
09-11-2006, 04:04 PM
I just returned from Lake Powell Sunday. Beautiful.... I suggest launching out of the new public ramp at Antelope point. Nice and big. Wahweap was good too. Most of the crowds are gone. The only advantage of launching out of Antelope point is you miss the choke point where Wahweap bay funnels into the main channel near the dam. There are lots of rock markers there because the water is down 97 feet.As we were returning from up the channel we came upon a house boat moving about 5 mph right there.We had to come off plane because he was blocking our path.... then the dumb$hit made a right turn in front of us and we practically had to come to a stop so that we wouldn't collide . He headed for the wide area there but didn't watch for the rock markers... ran aground.... quickly backed off the rocks then made a left turn in front of us and again we had to stop to miss him. I was about to board his boat and club him about the head for being so stupid...... :mad:

Mardonzi
09-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Like AZLL said, we live there, and I have been vacationing there for the past 20 years. I've had more fun on this lake in the past 4 years with the lower levels than I ever did with the levels up. There is way more beach and the topograpy is amazing.
There will always be obstacles on Powell that will eat props and grab lower units, they just change locations with different levels. Look at the make up of the shoreline. Every point is a potential underwater obstruction as the levels rise. The only real detriment to the lake being low is that Castle Rock cut isn't open so if you launch out of Wahweap, you have to go around and up the main channel (What we call the "Washing Machine"). For those with larger boats, it's a riot to cruise this.
The best defense for taking out a prop is to stay within the bouys of the main channel for running up/down lake and keep an eye out for light green water when you do venture out into the side canyons. With as clear as the water is, 99% of the time you will see shallow long before you come up to it. The visibility of the water is so good, you will see green at around 20 ft of water.
OM, thanks again for letting us Boat Bitch with you guys over Laborday. Looks like mine will finally be done this weekend!!

Second "PLACE"
09-11-2006, 07:44 PM
If you don't have one, get a GPS. Went to Powell for the first time in early Aug. Thanks to GPS, I never broke out the paper maps, and stayed on plane getting everywhere we wanted to go. Best $ I ever spent. I bought a combo Handheld, Uniden Mystic. VHF, weather, mapping GPS. Also, launched at Antelope Point instead of Wahweap. Only way to go. Have fun. We might just make that an annual from now on. :cool:
I must agree. A GPS would have been great, and Antelope Point sure was better Whaweep.........Next time ! :p

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
09-11-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread is absolutely worthless without pics!!!
i love looking at pics from powell. i am dying to go there but it seems like a long way to go for a weekend. I'd need to commit at least 5 days to it and i havn't had that kind of time in a number of years.... :mad:

Second "PLACE"
09-11-2006, 08:06 PM
If I had time to post them here I would. (and if I knew how) Shoot me a pm and I'll email you some pics.
second "PLACE"

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
09-11-2006, 08:21 PM
If I had time to post them here I would. (and if I knew how) Shoot me a pm and I'll email you some pics.
second "PLACE"
pm sent

ahsumtoy
09-12-2006, 03:47 AM
Thanks for all the information. I can't wait to get there. This will be our third trip to Powell and I agree, its the most ahsum lake I've ever been on!

cactusgolfcarts
09-12-2006, 06:07 AM
We were there over Labor Day. Be very careful if you venture past Dangling Rope Marina as you are going toward Rainbow Bridge, be sure to stay right of the channel markers because just left of them, not far from Dangling Rope, there is a good size rock island right where everyone wants to "cut the corner". No question, you need to launch from Antelope. Have a great time.

Playbuoy
09-12-2006, 06:21 PM
i am dying to go there but it seems like a long way to go for a weekend. I'd need to commit at least 5 days to it and i havn't had that kind of time in a number of years.... :mad:
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I've never been but want to go to Powell. The 8-10 hour drive from Ladera is a killer. In less than half the time, I'm launching from Cottonwood Cove (no longer exists) on Mojave.
Tough call.

Second "PLACE"
09-12-2006, 06:45 PM
pm sent
Recieved, and pics forwarded. :p

AirtimeLavey
09-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Ok, here's a few pics. from early Aug. Still don't have the best ones from my sis, yet. She's a way better photog than me.
How about this landscape...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2301hb_pow.JPG
found this small beach in a tight cyn. w/75-100' walls
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2301hb_cyn_bch.JPG
exploring....yep, we went through there!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2301hb_xploring.JPG
an awesome beach/cove we found in Padre...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2301hb_padre_fish.JPG
this is what it's all about....10 yo up on skis. Wish I was doing that when I was 10!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2301hb_a_ski_pow.JPG
And of course, you can't miss this...it's worth the 1.5 mile hike. Take water!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2301hb_rainbow_rk.JPG
Definitely worth the 10 hour drive. The drive itself was beautiful, and seemed like it went faster than some of our drives to Mohave/Havi.

Second "PLACE"
09-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Great pics! Makes me wish I was still there for sure. Place is unbelievable :)

AirtimeLavey
09-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Great pics! Makes me wish I was still there for sure. Place is unbelievable :)
Thanks. Powell so beautiful, it's almost surreal... :cool:

AirtimeLavey
09-12-2006, 07:35 PM
pm me before you come mardonzi and us well show ya around,all you need to bring is your extra liver and c/c.we will break your liver and melt your c/c :cry: ,let me know when you come up :cool:
Missed Powellfest by a day... :cry:

DILLIGAF
09-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Ok, here's a few pics. from early Aug. Still don't have the best ones from my sis, yet. She's a way better photog than me.
Definitely worth the 10 hour drive. The drive itself was beautiful, and seemed like it went faster than some of our drives to Mohave/Havi.
Very nice pics :)

AirtimeLavey
09-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Very nice pics :)
Thanks. Great memories from the summer... :)