PDA

View Full Version : Which Engine? RevTech or Ultima.

probablecause
09-11-2006, 01:10 PM
I am looking into having a custom bike being built (ordered from back East) and there are two motor options: RevTech OR Ultima? Does anyone have any experience with the Ultima motors? I know that RevTech is poplular but have heard some negative things from engine builders about them. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

al cole'holic
09-11-2006, 01:15 PM
...I like to use Ultima motors in our bikes, especially the 113". Lots of power and very "snappy". They are all on sale right now too which is nice...97" 107" 113" and 127" :)
RevTec has come a long way with the new gen stuff...

al cole'holic
09-11-2006, 01:22 PM
...also, your plans for registering the bike in Ca may force you towards an S&S motor :idea:
HELLS, I just re-read your post....why not look into having US build you a bike!! Good O'le Boy Network :)

Hustler
09-11-2006, 01:26 PM
[QUOTE=al cole'holic
HELLS, I just re-read your post....why not look into having US build you a bike!! Good O'le Boy Network :)[/QUOTE]
I was going to ask the same question :D

al cole'holic
09-11-2006, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE=al cole'holic
HELLS, I just re-read your post....why not look into having US build you a bike!! Good O'le Boy Network :)
I was going to ask the same question :D[/QUOTE]
I guess I just try to offer some advice once in a while rather than try to build someone a sick ass bike :D

GHT
09-11-2006, 01:48 PM
I would go with a Derebery Motor. They have the best Rep...
:rolleyes: :crossx: :rolleyes:

probablecause
09-11-2006, 02:02 PM
I would go with a Derebery Motor. They have the best Rep...
:rolleyes: :crossx: :rolleyes:
Now that was funny.

Hostile
09-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Don't use those engines,use an S&S then when
your done you have something that you can
get parts for and is worth something.
Skeeter

THEPISTONHEAD
09-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Dont go with the foriegn Rev -Tech motor. Go S&S but if you cant, them go ultima. S&S is tried and true and awesome. Ultima seems to be a nice motor but stay away from Rev-Tech. Youve been warned!!!!!!!!
Ive been running a 107 S&S for many years of trouble free power. You could always go with a Harley 103 crate motor although they tend to run very hot.

Kindsvater Flat
09-11-2006, 03:57 PM
...also, your plans for registering the bike in Ca may force you towards an S&S motor :idea:
Explain this? Are the others not 50 state legal? What about the Patrick Racing motors? I know Matt Hotch uses Patrick motors exclusively.

dego red
09-11-2006, 05:26 PM
Buy Canadian....Get a "MERCH"....
red

cola
09-11-2006, 05:33 PM
thug

beaverretriever
09-11-2006, 06:39 PM
You couldnt pay me to put a Rev Tech engine in a Yugo. Total junk.
The only experience I have had with an Ultima was with an "El Bruto" that I put in a friends Redneck chassis. He has put about 600 miles on it in the past 2 yrs, so I really couldnt tell you. I know its been running in the high 200 degree range.. Sounds a little hot even for break in.
S&S is kind of the standard for custom bikes. Probably the best of the few mentioned.
Merch is a good engine but cost wise is out of the league of the others.
Personally, I would use a factory EVO, or if you want to go a little wilder use a TwinCam. If you want to build it, use Jims parts with a good set of Woods cams and you will have a screamer.
Bikes are my living and I wouldnt use anything but a good ol factory HD engine for longevity, cost and resale.
Good luck.

Kilrtoy
09-11-2006, 06:47 PM
What bike are you building?
As stated stay away from REVTECH...
S&S is teh way to go, you can get parts anywhere and warranty work anywhere

al cole'holic
09-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Explain this? Are the others not 50 state legal? What about the Patrick Racing motors? I know Matt Hotch uses Patrick motors exclusively.
...S&S is the only motor that is Ca EPA certified as far as I know right now. If the builder is Ca EPA certified then there will be no registration issues, most all builders outside of California will not go through the expense of being certified, therefore they will not supply a Ca EPA Certificiation sticker which is required to register and title a new bike here. If you dont have this EPA Cert Sticker the DMV will not title or register the bike, however you can get through this hoop by titling as special construction but be prepared to give them an MSO on every damn part of the bike. It's a bunch of bullshiat for sure.. :mad:
As a result, I am titling my own personal bikes out of state and blacklisting the VIN's here at the Ca DMV databases this way they have no right to hassle me for an out of state plate at any time on account of the Ca EPA emissions non compliance.

DUMBASSBIKER.COM
09-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Boy Oh Boy There Is A Lot Of Misinformation Here, First Off Ultima, Rev Tech And S&S Are All Or All Have Epa Rated Motors, I Am A Parts Dealer And Know This For A Fact. 2nd Merch Has Moved To Colorado And Will Soon Be Producing Engines Again No They Are Not Canadian Ay More. 3rd Ultima Uses Many Of The Same Parts Has S&S Does, But Will Out Run And Out Preform S&S. Rev Techs Are Now Much Better Then They Were 2 Years Ago, If They Wern't They Would Vanish From The Market. S&S Are Overpriced But Have The Name Value Due To Being Around For Many Years And Are Also A Great Motor, All Of These Engine Have An Problem Once And A While But They Are Few And Far In Between. I Have Sold Over 100 Ultimas In The Last Two Years With No Problems, No Warranty Issues, I Have Sold Over 400 Harley Evo's The Last Two Years With No Problems, 10 Rev Techs With No Issues, 23 S&s With 1 Issue, And 4 Tp's With No Issues, 99% Of The Time Problems Are Caused By The Person Running The Bike Or By The Builder. You Should Look At What People Like Redneck Choppers, Orange County Choppers And Other Builders Use They Don't Want Problems Or Warranty Issues Because It Costs Them Time And Money. Every Body Has An Opinion On This Issue But It Is Like The Ford Verses CheVy Debate. Some Like One And Others Like The Other. All Of These Motors Are Very Good, And If Treated Properly Will Last A Long Time, But There Are People That Can Break Anything Out There. Remember Stroker Don't Last Has Long Between Rebiuilds Die To More Wear And Tear On Them, Square Motors Are The Best For Long Life, And Factory Harley Engines Are Proven And Very Good Values For The Money Also. Bottom Line Is Pick What You Like Break It In Right And Drive It Nice And It Will Give You Many Years Of Problem Free Use, By The Way All The Engines Get Hot The Larger Ones Do Tend To Run Hotter It Does Not Matter Whose Engine They Are Heat Is A By Product Of Combustion, The Bigger The Motor The More Heat, Ultima Runs No Hotter Then The Rest, That Is A Fairy Tale, I Know I Own One Of Each (s&s And Ultima As Well Has An Evo And Tc103) If You Want Cool Runnig Get A V-rod,

2forcefull
09-23-2006, 05:17 AM
PICTURE OF THE YELLOW PATRICK BILLIT, i HAVE 23 PICTURES OF EACH BIKE OR GO ON EBAY

2forcefull
09-23-2006, 05:22 AM
IS THIS WHAT'S STOPING YOU? YOU BETTER HOPE SO!!! :crossx:

al cole'holic
09-23-2006, 08:10 AM
...the EPA and the Ca EPA are two entirely different entities, and Ca is the only state with their own..things are a bit different on the East Side :boxed: