PDA

View Full Version : Need computer repair help!

XtrmWakeborder
09-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Hey guys i was wondering if you knew of any reasonable computer repair shops in orange county that could fix my lap top in a reasonable amount of time. The power cord that plugs into the back of my computer isn't fitting right anymore so it's hard to get my computer to charge. I have to put stuff under the cord to use the laptops weight as pressure and then SOMETIMES it will charge.
Thanks alot,
David

Jyruiz
09-11-2006, 03:40 PM
What kind of laptop?

YeLLowBoaT
09-11-2006, 03:43 PM
laptop repair is $$$$$$, In most cases its cheaper to buy a new one then it is to fix the old.( not talking high end stuff, just basic biz laptop.)

isthismikeon?
09-11-2006, 03:45 PM
I'm assuming it is older than a year since it is out of warranty. You could pay some computer geek 200 dollars to order another power pack or you could get new one for 400.00.
(I hope your not one of those guys that has the kids hold the tv antenna still until you get reception)

Ike
09-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Geez... from the sound of it you just need a new power cord. I have the same problem but I'm too damned cheap to go buy one, I just do what your doing, so it will stay in and charge the battery. The other thing may be that a prong is bent. Have a tech look at it. It sounds pretty simple.

Essexive G's
09-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Sounds like cold solder joint on Motherboard.

XtrmWakeborder
09-11-2006, 04:37 PM
It's out of warranty even though it's only like 2 years old max. It's a Dell 1150 inspiron 2.6 ghz. I need this thing to be reliable because school just started again and i need it, just keeping it the way i do takes alot of time to get it to work and charge and i don't want to start screwing around with fate. I don't think its the cord because i've looked inside and the prong looks straight to me. I just have to put torque on it so it make a good connection or something... any ideas on places?

XtrmWakeborder
09-11-2006, 04:40 PM
400 bucks?! good god, i already have one 4 year old or so hp thats JUNK because of the stupid pointer thing in the middle that sticks. I think new ones are around 800 aren't they?

obnoxious001
09-11-2006, 04:43 PM
It's out of warranty even though it's only like 2 years old max. It's a Dell 1150 inspiron 2.6 ghz. I need this thing to be reliable because school just started again and i need it, just keeping it the way i do takes alot of time to get it to work and charge and i don't want to start screwing around with fate. I don't think its the cord because i've looked inside and the prong looks straight to me. I just have to put torque on it so it make a good connection or something... any ideas on places?
I agree that it might just be a bad solder joint on the board. Were it mine, and I didn't know how to solder, I would check with several computer shops,, and maybe even better, some type of electronic repair shop. If I was closer I would take a look for you, seems like a fairly simple thing to fix.

Goad
09-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Call dell....get a quote from them....they are reasonable...and can even send someone out to do it.
sounds like you will have to replace the whole mobo. If you get a quote for parts, I will install it for you for $50....I was a registered Dell tech 5-6 years ago.

DelawareDave
09-11-2006, 05:24 PM
I had the same issue with a Dell several years ago. I plugged in the docking station then plugged the charger into that. Next time, I put the machine in the trashcan.

XtrmWakeborder
09-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Call dell....get a quote from them....they are reasonable...and can even send someone out to do it.
sounds like you will have to replace the whole mobo. If you get a quote for parts, I will install it for you for $50....I was a registered Dell tech 5-6 years ago.
Thanks for the offer! How would they know what was wrong without seeing it though? Everyone on this site is on a comp. No good places to take it guys? I'm totally clueless.

sorry dog
09-12-2006, 06:07 AM
Is that a Celeron 2.6? I have used a compaq with that same setup...I don't think it was really ever meant to be a mobile chip...runs too hot.
You can get something much nicer now for $500...or maybe somebody on here has a junk one that will still charge for you.
BTW - Send me a PM on your Compaq...if it's just the pointer I will give you a few bucks for it or let you know if you can maybe fix it.

XtrmWakeborder
09-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Is that a Celeron 2.6? I have used a compaq with that same setup...I don't think it was really ever meant to be a mobile chip...runs too hot.
You can get something much nicer now for $500...or maybe somebody on here has a junk one that will still charge for you.
BTW - Send me a PM on your Compaq...if it's just the pointer I will give you a few bucks for it or let you know if you can maybe fix it.
Yes it is the celeron, with school and everything funds are tight right now, but yah if i can't fix it for a reasonable price i might as weel just get a new one. Ok sounds good i'll PM yah.

Ryphraph
09-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Call Technical Service Group in Anaheim. 714 680 7779.
Ryph

ULTRA26 # 1
09-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Try cleaning all metal parts of the plug connection with 600 or 1000 grit sandpaper. Be very gentle. This has worked for me

Cheap Thrills
09-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Sounds like cold solder joint on Motherboard.
Yep common problem with alot of them. It would be nice if the manufacturer would mount the power connector to the frame of the computer instead of just relying on the solder joint to take the stress or at best a magnetic connector. who's doing that now ? Mac ? oh geeez did I just praise a Mac . :D
I had an HP that I had to repair several times before it finally met it's death by a high speed landing on concrete. I was tired of fixing it :D
Getting to and soldering it isn't that difficult if you have a little expierience with electronics and soldering.
Good Luck
C.T. :wink:

XtrmWakeborder
09-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Call Technical Service Group in Anaheim. 714 680 7779.
Ryph
Is this a place that repairs laptops?

XtrmWakeborder
09-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Yep common problem with alot of them. It would be nice if the manufacturer would mount the power connector to the frame of the computer instead of just relying on the solder joint to take the stress or at best a magnetic connector. who's doing that now ? Mac ? oh geeez did I just praise a Mac . :D
I had an HP that I had to repair several times before it finally met it's death by a high speed landing on concrete. I was tired of fixing it :D
Getting to and soldering it isn't that difficult if you have a little expierience with electronics and soldering.
Good Luck
C.T. :wink:
The thing is it has never been dropped, but it has been yanked pretty hard to the side from tripping on it. Just like the mac commercial...... I would solder it, but i have no idea whats going on, so id rather just pay.

Ryphraph
09-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Yes, they do repairs on laptops. I used to work there. The power supply connector that the AC adapter plugs into needs to be re-soldered. Depending on what kind of laptop it is, it might not be that bad.
Ryph