PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever tow with.......

blackcloud75
09-11-2006, 05:04 PM
a 6000 pound boat/triple axle trailer with a late model jeep wrangler???????Looking to get momma a new jeep but curious if it would be a functional short-haul puller..
I tow less than half a mile each trip to the river/lake....

Trailer Park Casanova
09-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Keep it under 45, and make sure the boat trailer brakes are functional.
Damn,, that's alot of weight.
We tow a 2200 lb boat with a new V6 pre-runner and it struggles.
The owners manual say it'll tow 6k - NFW!
Slick roads are a bitch, the boat controls the truck.
I used to tow a sandrail with a CJ5 until I rolled it on the 10. Slow lane minding things,, then we slowed down and the trailer and sandrail took over.

Kilrtoy
09-11-2006, 05:14 PM
If it is for less than 1 mile and you do a 4x4 it could work....

Outnumbered
09-11-2006, 05:16 PM
I would not do any more than moving it around the house. I used my 97 Wrangler to move my 21' Lavey around with a front receiver and it worked great. It would be scary to drive on the street out of first gear though. The suspension is way soft. Keep in mind that if you got in an accident your insurance would have an out since you are about TWO times the rated towing capacity.

riverroyal
09-11-2006, 05:18 PM
tows a magic deckboat with a 4.4 X5,he says its a bit scary,hard to stop.Let me know when your on the road :rollside:

Outnumbered
09-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Maybe a set of Rancho 9000 shocks set to 9 would make it OK for 1/2 mile tow? My Jeep had soft suspension (built to flex, not tow). The Lavey would just about put the suspension on the bump stops.

ratso
09-11-2006, 05:21 PM
I'd hate to have to make any sudden stops or swerve to avoid something. The boat and trailer would throw that Jeep around like a Tonka Toy...

Sotally Tober
09-11-2006, 06:19 PM
I sure would not. I pulled my loaded 2 place pwc trailer with my YJ and would never do it again. Just not enough weight or wheelbase. IMO

Kilrtoy
09-11-2006, 06:29 PM
I too have thought about getting rid of my 4x4 duramax, as it is solely used to tow the boat to the ramp and back a whole 1/2 mile... It is an expensive truck...

blackcloud75
09-11-2006, 06:36 PM
I have a '53 Willys flat-fender M3 all restored and it's too small for pulling the Schiada.....(use the front hitch for moving trailers, etc.)
Just want something dual function....for the desert bar/crawling/trailing and that We could use as a local cruiser here in So.Cal.
Thanks for all the info.....

MBlaster
09-11-2006, 06:57 PM
Don't do it.

mbrown2
09-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Cory.....maybe on your ramp but I doubt it will pull out your boat.....the Malibu drug mine down the ramp (good thing I was lined up)....4x4 locked up....just not enough weight in front versus the boat and a steep ramp...
You can see it has a little bit of lift, but a lot of tire, and not too high COG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/17Photo_34-640.JPG

OCMerrill
09-11-2006, 09:01 PM
Unlimiteds are rated for 4400 lbs properly optioned. Gets you closer. I have an 05 Unlimited Rubi and it tows my Lavey (weighs about 4.5K) into my garage just fine. I have never ventured out on the highway though.
Although....
If you go to the boat mishap thread on about page 5 I posted a few pictures of what happened to my father towing his 24' late 70's day crusier with a Dodge Durango. Boat out weighed that vehicle by about 3k lbs. Failed wheel bearing on the trailer got the trailer swaying all of the sudden and flipped him over on his lid.

BajaMike
09-11-2006, 09:43 PM
a 6000 pound boat/triple axle trailer with a late model jeep wrangler???????Looking to get momma a new jeep but curious if it would be a functional short-haul puller..
I tow less than half a mile each trip to the river/lake....
That would be absolutely crazy....the tow rating on the Wrangler is 2000 lbs. See link below.
Trailor Boat Tow Ratings (http://www.trailerboats.com/towrating/index.cfm?action=search&yr=2005&make=Jeep&model=Wrangler&min_tlimit=&max_tlimit=)
The Wrangler is un-body construction, like most cars do today......it doen't have a real frame like a truck does. You could bend the whole un-body on the first turn or stop.
Bad idea...... :idea:

bigpapasean
09-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Quote:
The Wrangler is un-body construction, like most cars do today......it doen't have a real frame like a truck does. You could bend the whole un-body on the first turn or stop.
Are you sure your not thinking about jeep Wagoneer. Wranglers have a frame

Outnumbered
09-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Sorry guys but Wranglers are NOT unibody. Cherokees are. The problem with the Jeep Wrangler is very short wheel base, soft coil spring suspension, and brakes not designed for towing. The frame is plenty strong. The frame is not the issue.

Outnumbered
09-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Cory.....maybe on your ramp but I doubt it will pull out your boat.....the Malibu drug mine down the ramp (good thing I was lined up)....4x4 locked up....just not enough weight in front versus the boat and a steep ramp...
You can see it has a little bit of lift, but a lot of tire, and not too high COG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/17Photo_34-640.JPG
Nice Jeep.

Riomouse911
09-11-2006, 10:15 PM
A friend of mine used his Jeep Wrangler to tow a 21' Sea Ray for a year or so. The Jeep was stock, and had the hard top and the engine upgrade. He wanted a new tow rig when the Jeep was laboring to tow the boat/trailer up every hill. He got a new tow rig when he had to make a u-turn on a bit of a slope, and the boat/trailer combination jack-knifed the Jeep by pushing the rear end sideways across the pavement. Tow truck guy thought the wheelbase was way too short to handle the load, and I guess he was right. Mark now uses a 1/2 ton x-cab Hemi Dodge, no complaints.
I guess it can be done, but the first 20-30 MPH cross-wind you hit with the jeep/trailer might just grey your hair and age you 10 years. I'd get something more substantial to tow with.

Mandelon
09-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Cmon, those wranglers are tough. It could probably tow the boat from Texas to Cali..... :p

Outnumbered
09-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Cmon, those wranglers are tough. It could probably tow the boat from Texas to Cali..... :p
Pre 1997 Wranglers are leaf sprung. Probably better to tow with. Plus you could probably bag it and install adjustable shocks. I think that "Jeep Death Pool" boat only weighed about 4,000# (small boat, single axel, etc)??? The extra 2,000# would be sketchy.

Dave C
09-12-2006, 08:45 AM
wasn't it Alabama to Cali?... :rollside:
Ya, I thought we covered this already.... :rollside:

mbrown2
09-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Nice Jeep.
Thanks...but I won't be towing with it anytime soon...both boats of ours weight over 5K with trailer and for all the reasons you stated they are not safe to tow with the jeep.
I have a friend with pre 97 YJ that tows a smaller 21ft nautique much lighter then the 23 Malibu and he can do it. Also have a friend with an older CJ5 and he can do a small 20' Nautique...but our Malibu is wide as they come and as heavy as they come for a boat that size....its just too dangerous even back and forth across the street....not enough wheelbase, breaks, not built for it and the suspension it too soft for it...

slowinhavasu
09-12-2006, 04:53 PM
I have a 93 YJ, I tow the pontoon boat up and down the hill. going up not that bad .... going down, stopping (no trailer brakes) not so good....I'm thinking of going to a old full size Blazer K5 so I can still go four wheelin but stop better when towing...

mbrown2
09-12-2006, 05:03 PM
..I'm thinking of going to a old full size Blazer K5 so I can still go four wheelin but stop better when towing...
I was thinking the same thing or an early 70's Bronco, but don't know if I will be in the same short wheel base scenario with the Bronco...guess I have to research the specs...