PDA

View Full Version : Differences in pumps

killerbeez
09-11-2006, 07:35 PM
I am new to the boating scene and everyone tells me that the berkley and dominator pumps are so much better than the panther jet.What I want to know is why?I do not mean to ask a stupid question but other than the berkley and dominator looking so much bigger I realy do not know the differences.How much more performance do you get out of the two vs. panther?

n8dawg
09-11-2006, 08:12 PM
I am new to the boating scene and everyone tells me that the berkley and dominator pumps are so much better than the panther jet.What I want to know is why?I do not mean to ask a stupid question but other than the berkley and dominator looking so much bigger I realy do not know the differences.How much more performance do you get out of the two vs. panther?
I know that berkley and dominator pumps have many up-grade parts available, such as droops, snoots, ride plates, and diverters.
I don't think panther has any performance parts like that.
It also depends what kind of boating your going to be doing.
Ahh......just get a Jacuzzi WJ ! :crossx:

SmokinLowriderSS
09-12-2006, 02:40 AM
n8 has part of it there. :)
There is also a major design difference between the Berk/Legend/Dominator/Agressor/Jac WJ as they are all a "mixed-flow" design pump. This means that the impeller pushes the water not only backwards but outwards as well which allows them to reach much higher bowl pressures, whuch means higher flow volume (weight or "mass" of the water) and higher water stream velocity, both of which impart more maximum push to the pump, and in turn, the boat.
The "axial-flow" designs of Panther and the Jac YJ (I don't think I got those Jac's reversed but it's possible) push water backwards only, simply like a shrouded propeller (or really more similar to a jet turbine engine stage).
Since the mixed-flow pumps have always outperformed the axials when moddified for competition, it bred a large aftermarket of tuning parts to fine-sdjust your setup, which at the lake-boat level, is a huge difference. Just like cars, "win on Sunday, sell on Monday".

raisinL
09-12-2006, 02:57 AM
This is what I can tell you about berkley pumps being better than panthers. See my buddy's boat has a panther pump mine has a berkley therefore the berkley must be better. Next qeastion please LOL. Just kiddin

killerbeez
09-12-2006, 03:14 AM
This is what I can tell you about berkley pumps being better than panthers. See my buddy's boat has a panther pump mine has a berkley therefore the berkley must be better. Next qeastion please LOL. Just kiddin
Its all so clear now. :)